PDA

View Full Version : Comedy hour on Fox's "Chicago baseball Xtra."

SoxxoS
03-28-2004, 10:52 PM
I was all excited to see a backround on the Sox on Fox Sports Net here in Arizona. I set my Tivo all up and everything. I was looking forward to some positives on the season, along with some highlights and some interviews. I was sorely mistaken.
Silly of me, I thought there was 2 baseball teams in Chicago. Apparently, Fox sports doesn't think so.

You will never believe what the "Chicago baseball Xtra" is about. It's all Cub fluff.

By far one of the worst broadcasters, Dave Otto, and that other girl moron (Gail Fischer), who knows nothing and refers to Farnsworth as "Farnsie"

There is something relevant here, b/c this is a great time to get a few laughs.
First off, the use of nicknames is hilarious.

"Gonzo"
"Grud"
"Farnsie"
"Woody"
"Bakes"
"Matty"
"Mad Dog"

The comedy continues as accoring to the "Xtra," these guys can all start on ANY other team:
Jose Macias
Tom Goodwin
Paul Bako
Todd Hollandsworth.

Yes, you heard me right.

Then, before the commercial, the announcer asks "What will Dusty do for an encore?"
I think you have to win the N.L. pennant and then another series before you are the champions, so that would be a good place to start for an "encore."

Also was a fasinating Otto interview of Shamme. Sammy mentioned that they were missing pieces last year, and the off-season they filled those up. He said he has "got to get to 700 first" before he tries to break Aaron's record. We'll see what getting of the juice and the cork does to the homer numbers.

Suprisingly, Otto said Patterson is NOT 100% and there are balls he isn't going to get to that he got to last year.

I think it's going to be replayed, so check it out. Hangar...you should have a field day. I would recommend you tape it. The fluff comes so fast at you, you can't write everything down. I am writing as I am watching and having trouble keeping up.

Otto and Gail say that Hendry might be on the phone right now for a deal, and if there is a good deal, Hendry will be there to pull the trigger. Thanks Dave and Gail.

Everyone check it out. It is Cubs fluff at it's finest. And they haven't even really talked about Maddox yet.

mantis1212
03-28-2004, 11:01 PM
I just saw this as well- what a complete joke. When that chick said Goodwin/Bako and those guys could start on any other team, I knew this was just an info-mercial.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-28-2004, 11:10 PM
LOL some of those names are brutal. Woody and bakes, what the heck? Is it that hard to call them Wood and Baker? It took me about 30 seconds to figure out who Mad Dog was. I thought it was McGriff since he was the crime dog but then I remembered that he was gone and that they had Maddux. It's embarassing that these 2 goons were on nationally and not just on the local fox sports net. And some of those guys starting? HAHAHA. If you didn't know, the tigers got i-rod catching this year. Bako wouldn't start anywhere in the mlb.

Hangar18
03-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
I just saw this as well- what a complete joke. When that chick said Goodwin/Bako and those guys could start on any other team, I knew this was just an info-mercial.

Man, Im soooooooo Glad I didnt see this, Otherwise my
blood-pressure would have risen bigtime

Brian26
03-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Otto used to actually be pretty decent when he would work the Sox pre and post in 2000. It's hard not to like him, but he sure has become a big Cubs suck-up.

cheeses_h_rice
03-29-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Otto used to actually be pretty decent when he would work the Sox pre and post in 2000. It's hard not to like him, but he sure has become a big Cubs suck-up.

I am quite partial to PHG's quote on Otto: A sh** salesman with a mouth full of samples.

:)

soxnut
03-29-2004, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty sure last week FSN did do a similar show about the Sox last week. I caught the tail end of both shows. It was like Full Access, only exclusively Sox, one week, Cubs the next.

Fridaythe13thJason
03-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
I'm pretty sure last week FSN did do a similar show about the Sox last week. I caught the tail end of both shows. It was like Full Access, only exclusively Sox, one week, Cubs the next.

It sure was, but don't mention that to the "totally biased" fans here. They only see what they want to see.

Last I checked, the Sox one was actually FIRST, TOO! So, for those who care about such a thing, the Sox won this one!

soxnut
03-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by UICJason
It sure was, but don't mention that to the "totally biased" fans here. They only see what they want to see.

Last I checked, the Sox one was actually FIRST, TOO! So, for those who care about such a thing, the Sox won this one!

Thanks for backing me up on that one. I wish they'd replay it so I could see the whole thing.

santo=dorf
03-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by UICJason

I saw it, and it SUCKED. They showed the same interviews from the pre-game show before the Sox-Cubs game, and Damon had an interview with Pancakes that looked like an old Japanese movie. Bill Melton never said that Willie Harris, or Juan Uribe or Aaron Rowand could be starters on any other team however. At one point Damon went over the starting lineup and they had Rowand's name in there TWICE! He didn't even notice that he said Rowand's name twice and forgot to mention Olivo.

here was the graphic

2b Harris
CF Rowand
DH Thomas
RF Ordonez
LF Lee
1b Konerko
3b Crede
SS Valentin
CF Rowand

And I could've sworn Hawk was being advertised for the show yet he wasn't on. :angry:

SoxBoy14
03-29-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm gonna start calling woods "woodsie" just to piss off my neighbor :D: .