PDA

View Full Version : Very Interesting Schoeneweis Article


MRKARNO
03-28-2004, 09:23 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040328&content_id=672032&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

The article suggests that if Schoeneweis doesn't pick it up, he could see his spot go to Neal Cotts and Grilli could potentially be optioned to AAA or sent back to Florida.

He'll get every opportunity , but we need to start seeing results," Williams said of Schoeneweis. "We need to see more out of him. It's as plain and simple as that.

OK the last thing I wanted to hear is that he'll get every opportunity. If Schoenweis can't post a single game 3.00 ERA his next start and KW or Ozzie dont move him back to the bullpen then I will start to wonder how much they really intend to win this year.

Though I am a member of the Foes of Scott Schoeneweis, I do believe he could be servicable out of the bullpen, but I believe that it is a joke that he should get a shot at the number 4 spot.

CubKilla
03-28-2004, 09:26 PM
The posters at WSI should be special assistant to KW the Mental Midget.

Was there ONE WSI poster that foresaw Schoenweiss as anything more than an almost certain bust as a SP? My God.....

pearso66
03-28-2004, 10:04 PM
I myself was wondering why he was still on the team. I figuerd if we'd let Sullivan go, why not let this waste of a pitching spot go

MRKARNO
03-28-2004, 10:06 PM
To think that we could have kept Roberto Alomar with the money we wasted on this piece of crap!

gogosoxgogo
03-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
To think that we could have kept Roberto Alomar with the money we wasted on this piece of crap!

Roberto plus $750,000!

:reinsy
"WHAT!"

TornLabrum
03-28-2004, 10:13 PM
I think we may be witnessing the return of Prof. Chaos.

beckett21
03-28-2004, 10:15 PM
Great, so due to his complete suckitude we not only get stuck with him in the bullpen, but we may lose Grilli outright.

Fabulous.

Glad to see I am not the only one missing Sullivan right about now...not to mention that he now toils for one of our rivals.

:KW

"Get me Todd Ritchie's agent on the phone NOW! And find Jaime Navarro's number out of my rolodex while you're at it."

:chickenlittle

gosox41
03-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
The posters at WSI should be special assistant to KW the Mental Midget.

Was there ONE WSI poster that foresaw Schoenweiss as anything more than an almost certain bust as a SP? My God.....

There were a few (not me) who thought because Scott was developoing 2 new pitches he'd be a success this year.

Bob

beckett21
03-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
There were a few (not me) who thought because Scott was developoing 2 new pitches he'd be a success this year.

Bob

Ok I'll confess...while I never made any wild and crazy predictions, I thought he would be solid and possibly a nice surprise. Not Loaiza-esque, but decent. Not anymore. If he starts at all, which he shouldn't, I say give him two starts. If he bombs them both, see ya later.

I'd rather not see him start at all after today's performance. Waste of time. Gimme Cotts or Rauch over that bum. At least those guys might possibly have a future.

Veeky
03-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
The posters at WSI should be special assistant to KW the Mental Midget.

Was there ONE WSI poster that foresaw Schoenweiss as anything more than an almost certain bust as a SP? My God.....

Why you gots to be so negative, man?

He'll be fine. Can still get lefties out, worst comes the worst. Start him off in AAA and see how ti goes from there.

Clembasbal
03-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Pitching problem?...a thought, though stupid and costly...

"The Cardinals, Padres, Tigers, and White Sox reportedly have shown interest in former Red Sox righthander Aaron Sele, whose $8.5 million pricetag is making prospective buyers hesitate."

Link

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2004/03/28/piniella_and_devil_rays_have_a_better_idea/

Also an update onb Bobby Howry

JRIG
03-28-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
Pitching problem?...a thought, though stupid and costly...

"The Cardinals, Padres, Tigers, and White Sox reportedly have shown interest in former Red Sox righthander Aaron Sele, whose $8.5 million pricetag is making prospective buyers hesitate."

Link

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2004/03/28/piniella_and_devil_rays_have_a_better_idea/

Also an update onb Bobby Howry

Getting Sele would only create another pitching problem.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-28-2004, 11:34 PM
Sele was awful last year and I'd go nowhere near him unless the angels pay. Kenny would have to ship quite a few top prospects to get the Angels to eat that contract and Sele just isn't worth it.

Veeky
03-28-2004, 11:43 PM
Sele???@!!!! No way.


If Sox are THAT (read: exceeding the national average of 70 Mill)commited to winning, how about getting 2B Roberts to lead-off from Baltimore for almost nothing and once in 1st, getting a stud ace specifically for the playoffs around ASB? 8.5 Million buys you Pedro Martinez around July. Just saying.

Clembasbal
03-28-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
I myself was wondering why he was still on the team. I figuerd if we'd let Sullivan go, why not let this waste of a pitching spot go

Because before he came to the Sox he was having arm troubles, and we let him go still having arm troubles. He was never impressive in a Sox uniform, a 3.77 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP not outstanding for a middle reliever that costs way too much. And, not worth a 2 year $5million contract.

I mean he only has an 8.30 ERA in spring training...you know, eight runs in 8 2/3 innings. 11 hits, 3 bombs, 3 BB's and 8 K's. And the only reason it is that low, is because he didn't give up a run in his last outing.

Yeah, I know it is spring training...but remember we are all ripping on Shoney (me included) for putting up crap numbers so far too.

Clembasbal
03-28-2004, 11:48 PM
Don't kill the messanger, I just posed the Sele article.

I would want him as much as I would want Jaime Navarro.

MRKARNO
03-28-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Veeky
Why you gots to be so negative, man?


Because he's absolutely terrible this spring and because he's never shown that he can be very good so if he was ever going to start showing that he was any good then he was going to start showing it in ST. Even after he mixed in his full repitoire of pitches, he has failed to be productive. His results have been inexcusable.

As far as Sele is concerned, he was never at any point in his career worth 8 mil and he never will be. I hope the sox are smart and dont spend ridiculous amounts of money on such a crappy pitcher. He isn't even worth 1 million. I'd rather see that money go to sign draft picks so that we dont pass on anyone for money concerns. We can always fill the rotation spot with Grilli/Cotts/Rauch.

Corlose 15
03-29-2004, 12:05 AM
Ok, nobody leap down my throat here but...I say we hold out until the season actually starts, I believe that this was his first outing with using all four pitches. Did he suck, yes. But I'm not totally ready to throw the towel in on him.

I can't say that I have that much confidence in Rauch or Cotts either.

Not that it matters but I remember going to a game a couple years ago where Shoeneweiss shut down the Sox and outpitched Parque in a 3-1 decision. I belive he started 5-0 that season.

Veeky
03-29-2004, 12:20 AM
There is no excuse for his performance.

And yet I can't help but be intrigued with his strike-outs. A pitcher that bad isn't supposed to K that many in Arizona.

jeremyb1
03-29-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Corlose 15
I can't say that I have that much confidence in Rauch or Cotts either.

What's important though is that Rauch/Cotts will cost the major league minimum (around 300,000) while Schoeneweis is making 1.8 million. Obviously its too late to do anything about that now since we're already committed to paying Scho the money but had KW been smarter in the offseason we could've non-tendered him and spent that money elsewhere.

What is still important at this point in time is that Cotts or Rauch will end up in Charlotte to start the season with Schoeneweis in the rotation. In fact, Rauch is starting out in Charlotte no matter what. However, we know that Schoeneweis is a good lefty reliever. So if Cotts can come close to matching his production, we're just as good in the rotation and we upgrade the pen by adding Scho. Seems like a good move to me but I guess I'm not sold on Grilli as some are.

Veeky
03-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Neal Cotts is not ready. He can't be ready. There is no way hr should be in the majors this year. No need to destroy his confidence. No need to **** up this team's chances yet again -- ina tight division, EVERY start matters.

How many starts does a 5 make in April? Ownedweiss ceded the 4-spot to Danny. Let him, Grilli and Rauch duke it out for the right to occasionally start in April, and then go from there.

Our BP and #4 problems is yet another reason why Ozzie shouldn't be burning out the starters in Spring friggin' Training. Manuel did something right -- protect Danny, Judy and Mark.

SEALgep
03-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Veeky

Our BP and #4 problems is yet another reason why Ozzie shouldn't be burning out the starters in Spring friggin' Training. Manuel did something right -- protect Danny, Judy and Mark. How is he burning them out? He's barely pitched anybody over 5 innings, and he built them up to that point. If these guys are tired, we have serious issues.

mweflen
03-29-2004, 04:17 AM
finally, someone has expressed what I though was obvious 2 or 3 weeks ago - Wright is rightfully Number 4! And Schoney, he should be the guy who carries number 5's bag, nothing more. What a waste.

It's the height of management ineptitude that you sign a guy for 3 million whose starting ERA has never dipped below 4.88 and whose career high in victories is a whopping 10.

the humanity.

34 Inch Stick
03-29-2004, 09:05 AM
The problem is that Kenny has declared him a starter this year since he was acquired last year. It was a foolish statement last year and it is a foolish project this year.

Mickster
03-29-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Was there ONE WSI poster that foresaw Schoenweiss as anything more than an almost certain bust as a SP? My God.....

I'll take my Crow well done, please. :D:

munchman33
03-29-2004, 09:16 AM
I think Shoe would best serve us a lefty specialist/long reliever in situations where we can't come back. Either Grili should make the rotation, or Rauch should, with Kenny sending Florida a prospect to keep Grili (who could be real good if he learns control) in the minors. Cotts is similar to Grili, in that he needs to work on his control. There's no reason that should happen in the majors when we have other options.

MRKARNO
03-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Corlose 15
Ok, nobody leap down my throat here but...I say we hold out until the season actually starts, I believe that this was his first outing with using all four pitches. Did he suck, yes. But I'm not totally ready to throw the towel in on him.


Actually, it was the second outing that he was using all of his pitches.
Just say no to Schoe!

WHarris13
03-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Maybe if Cotts has a good outing today we will se Wright at 4 and Cotts at 5.

Dadawg_77
03-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Danny Graves anyone?

MRKARNO
03-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by WHarris13
Maybe if Cotts has a good outing today we will se Wright at 4 and Cotts at 5.

If Cotts gets a Quality start or better then Williams MUST replace Schoeneweis with Cotts (or possibly Rauch or just about anyone).

sas1974
03-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
Glad to see I am not the only one missing Sullivan right about now...not to mention that he now toils for one of our rivals.

Don't miss Sulli too much.

Spring Training 2004
W L ERA G GS IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO
S Sullivan KC 0 1 8.44 10 0 10.2 14 11 10 4 0 3 9
S Schoe CWS 1 2 9.31 5 5 19.1 32 20 20 4 0 10 26

JRIG
03-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
Don't miss Sulli too much.

Spring Training 2004
W L ERA G GS IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO
S Sullivan KC 0 1 8.44 10 0 10.2 14 11 10 4 0 3 9
S Schoe CWS 1 2 9.31 5 5 19.1 32 20 20 4 0 10 26


The difference is Sullivan has a history of being an effective relief pitcher. Schoeneweiss does not, either as a starter or a reliever. At least not for a $1.8 million reliever.

sas1974
03-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by JRIG
The difference is Sullivan has a history of being an effective relief pitcher. Schoeneweiss does not, either as a starter or a reliever. At least not for a $1.8 million reliever.

Believe me, I do not want Scho in either role on this team. I am just saying that I am not all that upset that we couldn't hang on to Sullivan. Now if I had to choose the lesser of two evils, it would be Sulli. I would not lose any sleep if BOTH of them were out of Chicago.