PDA

View Full Version : Koch a Candidate?

havelj
03-28-2004, 04:56 PM
Do you think Billy Koch might have been one to use? He DID play in Oakland - near BALCO and his velocity dropped the year they started testing.....

From Gammons article:
With all the talk of home run records and steroids, one veteran pitcher says, "there was a lot more steroid use with pitchers than people think. That's why you'd see such a wide range in velocity during the season. You'd see a guy throwing 95, then 88-90 a month later. It all runs according to cycling. Be careful with guys in spring training who suddenly are throwing much harder than they had in the past."

CubKilla
03-28-2004, 05:02 PM
I wish it was steroids that we can blame Botch going from suck to blow on.

Daver
03-28-2004, 05:27 PM
The media,and in an indirect way congress,have a created a situation where just about every player is guilty until proven innocent.That is usually what happens when the media steps in and moves an issue into the court of public opinion.Never mind the bill of rights,throw out the fact that the players union has federal law on their side,the situation has been distorted to the point that they may as well demand that they test the batboys,because public outcry demands it.

To quote Milt Pappas"The game sucks today."

poorme
03-28-2004, 05:32 PM
That's why baseball should have taken care of this in-house 5-10 years ago.

CubKilla
03-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by poorme
That's why baseball should have taken care of this in-house 5-10 years ago.

Anabolic's in most of their forms when not rehabbing an injury requiring steroids should have been abolished from the get go. But after The Strike, MLB saw that HR's were what was bringing the fans back to the ballparks slowly but surely.

The rest is history but now, it is tantamount to being out of control when it's possible that the new HR records were shattered due, in part, to performance enhancing drugs.

chisox1388
03-28-2004, 08:31 PM
He was throwing 100 when he was in Toronto, so I don't think so.

WSox8404
03-28-2004, 10:28 PM
I would like to see Farnsworth tested. He ain't huge, but is so freakin cut. He also throws like a 100 too.

guillen4life13
03-28-2004, 11:29 PM
I think Koch juiced.

And I just want to say that the Sox definitely aren't completely innocent of steroid use. I'm sure there are some on the team who juice.

jabrch
03-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Daver
The media,and in an indirect way congress,have a created a situation where just about every player is guilty until proven innocent.

While I get your point Daver, I think the players created this situation, not the media. The media (and I usually dont defend the media) just reported it.

I blame the Canseco/Caminitti/Bonds?/Sosa?/McGwire?s of the world for this - not the media.

fledgedrallycap
03-29-2004, 10:51 AM
As chisox noted, although it may be a possibility; Koch was throwing hard before arriving in Oakland...

fledgedrallycap
03-29-2004, 10:59 AM
Lest we forget the evil pillars:

Then, like a lightning bolt in a fall thunderstorm, Koch finally figured out the problem late in the season. It had nothing to do with arm angle or release points.

The answer came from a set of pillars in his house, but no, they didn't fall on his right arm during the offseason. They were of the rare evil pillars variety.

"We had a new interior designer come into our new house and he absolutely dropped dead, pretty much saying, "What are those things on your TV?'" said Koch, explaining the origin of the troubles. "My wife said that they were designer pillars she had purchased. Supposedly, they are cursed and bring bad fortune to your household.

"The designer said he would bring in the book to show what they were all about and show us the curse," Koch added.

One more fact should be known about Koch before going on with this story. He's a bit eccentric.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NAS...t=.jsp&c_id=cha

Dadawg_77
03-29-2004, 11:18 AM
One thing which has never been tested is does strength increase bat speed. There is a study in the works now to see if it does. What this could mean is we could measure the effect of steroids on the game. I would think strength rate of return on bat speed decreases exponentially. Thus the marginal effect of stronger players due to steroids is small.

Another thing to consider it is statistically probable for a player who hit 73 homeruns to fall to the 40ís the next year. Look at Barry Bonds since PNC opened up. The difference in his rates very easily could be a statically anomaly just because he got luckier then previous years.

faneidde
03-29-2004, 11:45 AM
I am not a pitching expert, but I just don't think taking steroids would add that much velocity to a fastball. And Koch isn't exactly cut either. Its stupid to sit here and say that someone used steroids because they had a couple of good seasons and then tailed off for a year.