PDA

View Full Version : Traded Sox player you wish we still had

chisox06
03-28-2004, 12:39 AM
My vote goes to Ray Durham, man it would be nice to have him on the squad right now. Solid onbase guy, switch hitter, got some pop, fast/aggressive. Playes a good 2B, at least their wouldnt be a controversy at one of the most crucial poistions on a club if Ray was still around. Anyone else you can think of?

konerkopeachy
03-28-2004, 12:41 AM
Keith Foulke.

SEALgep
03-28-2004, 12:41 AM
Matt Ginter

chisox06
03-28-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Matt Ginter

lol, I knew someone was gonna do it, nice work :D:

Whitesox029
03-28-2004, 12:50 AM
There are several solid answers to that question...my list:

Foulke
Durham
Josh Fogg
Kip Wells
Colon
Graffanino
(even though the last two weren't actually traded I still would like to have them back)
I could also say Robin Ventura but I would only want the 1998 version that we traded away not really the 2004 version who's starting at 1B for LA. And that would be because he ranks among my favorite ever sox players from my lifetime. Others include Guillen, Carlton Fisk, Big Frank, and Maggs.

Thunderstruck30
03-28-2004, 12:53 AM
Foulke without a doubt.

Jurr
03-28-2004, 12:59 AM
I like the idea of Ray Durham. Not only was he a good fill-in at second base, he is also the name on the back of one of my authentic Sox jerseys. It would be nice to keep that one "non retro"

WinningUgly!
03-28-2004, 01:09 AM
Chad Bradford

uribe151
03-28-2004, 01:15 AM
seems unhittable, especially against sox

i'm glad we got miguel olivo for him, though

WinningUgly!
03-28-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by uribe151
seems unhittable, especially against sox

i'm glad we got miguel olivo for him, though
Yeah, I like Olivo. I'm not voting to un-do the trade.

DSpivack
03-28-2004, 01:54 AM
Foulke, without a doubt.

But I'd love to have Mike Caruso back.

OEO Magglio
03-28-2004, 01:56 AM
Sandy Alomar Jr. O wait, we got him back.

jeremyb1
03-28-2004, 02:03 AM
Kip. He's the young, cheap, incredibly good, and would fill a huge void on the club.

Win1ForMe
03-28-2004, 03:08 AM
Mike Cameron...unless Piano man hits .330 this year, then I'll take it back.

BTW, Foulke in Boston will be priceless. He'll be sweaty, weird, and shaky by the end of April.

Jjav829
03-28-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Mike Cameron...unless Piano man hits .330 this year, then I'll take it back.

BTW, Foulke in Boston will be priceless. He'll be sweaty, weird, and shaky by the end of April.

LOL, the bug eyed, sweaty, twitchy Foulke. That will be fun to see.

Veeky
03-28-2004, 04:13 AM
Kip Wells.

South Sider
03-28-2004, 05:10 AM
No question here

1. Keith Foulke
2. Ray Durham
3. Kip Wells
4. Josh Fogg
5. Tony Geeeeeeeeeeeeeee
6. Chad Bradford

Just imagine

Foulke instead of Koch.......big +
Durham instead of Harris.......big +
Kip Wells instead of Schoeneweiss/Wright......big +
C.Bradford and Tony G would be smaller ++ but I liked them both

munchman33
03-28-2004, 07:19 AM
My vote also goes to Kip. We'd look an awful lot better if he was our fourth starter right now.

Realist
03-28-2004, 08:38 AM
Let me be the first to mention Robin Ventura's name. As much as I really dig Joe Crede, and I'd probably take Joe in a heart beat over Robin today, Robin should never have left us.

Losing Ventura damn near made me as big of a Sox fan as I am a .... ummmm... what's the name of our NHL hockey team again?.... oh yeah.... a Blackhawks fan. When Jeremey Roenick went bye bye the Hawks became the Tigers of the NHL.

Thank Christ losing Robin didn't do the same to the Sox.

A. Cavatica
03-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Sammy Sosa.

idseer
03-28-2004, 10:25 AM
aparicio.

and i'm not joking!

RedPinStripes
03-28-2004, 10:36 AM
I was so pissed when Robin left, but a guy we could use if Thomas played more 1B would be Ellis Burks.

sas1974
03-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Via trade: Keith Foulke

Via free agency: Robin Ventura. I think we have missed him more than most people realize. We have had a lot of temporary bridges on the road to Joe Crede and we really could have used him. We can probably STILL use him.

Hangar18
03-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Ray Durham. We Lost a Second baseman, We lost a guy with some Power, We Lost a a Guy with Great Speed, We lost a guy who can Hit at the TOP of the lineup. Great way to save Money Uncle Jerry ................. We havnt had a SecondBaseman since ............... stupid "trade"

Hangar18
03-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by South Sider
No question here

1. Keith Foulke
2. Ray Durham
3. Kip Wells
4. Josh Fogg
5. Tony Geeeeeeeeeeeeeee
6. Chad Bradford

Just imagine

Foulke instead of Koch.......big +
Durham instead of Harris.......big +
Kip Wells instead of Schoeneweiss/Wright......big +
C.Bradford and Tony G would be smaller ++ but I liked them both

If the SOX had Foulke and Durham, we win that division Last Year. Notice WHY those "trades" were made..........
To SAVE MONEY...........AND WE INSTEAD GOT BURNED. Because we thought we were going to save $$$$$$$ not keeping Ray Durham, We ended up trading Royce Ring for Roberto Alomar.
So we LOST ROYCE RING ALSO, when we couldve traded him
for something We REALLY NEEDED. KOCH blew so many games for us, and he was basically useless to us for a majority of the season, we ended up using OTHER pitchers out of the pen, using them out of turn, we ended up losing more games.
REMEMBER, we lost the division by only 4 games. Foulke in our bullpen, we win that division, We Beat the YANKEES in the playoffs, and we pull what the Marlins pulled, SURPRISE EVERYONE IN THE PLAYOFFS and Make the World Series. I believe last season was our best chance in Years ............
But because we wanted to save some $$$$$$$$$$$$$...........

we Still HAVNT BEEN TO THE WORLD SERIES SINCE 1959

Palehose13
03-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Durham
Foulke
K. Wells
Cameron

That fills most of the "holes" right there.

Deadguy
03-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Hammerin' Cameron.

I can't believe that 5 years ago, I was actually excited about the Sox acquiring Konerko, after all the hype he had received in previous years for putting up big numbers for Albuquerque. I honestly looked forward to a Thomas-Konerko 1-2 punch, that would combine for 80 homeruns and 220 RBIs in 1999. Boy was I wrong.

I also remember getting the impression that he was rather versatile, since he logged time at LF, 3B, and 1B. It was also somewhat interesting, since we had just lost out LFer (Belle) and 3B (Ventura) to FA, and it looked like Thomas was finished playing 1B. Little did I know, he's only an average 1B defensively, and no manager in their right mind is going to put this clown at 3B or LF anymore.

In retrospect, trading a talented CFer with great speed for a glorified DH was rather stupid.

Palehose13
03-28-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Hammerin' Cameron.

I can't believe that 5 years ago, I was actually excited about the Sox acquiring Konerko, after all the hype he had received in previous years for putting up big numbers for Albuquerque. I honestly looked forward to a Thomas-Konerko 1-2 punch, that would combine for 80 homeruns and 220 RBIs in 1999. Boy was I wrong.

I also remember getting the impression that he was rather versatile, since he logged time at LF, 3B, and 1B. It was also somewhat interesting, since we had just lost out LFer (Belle) and 3B (Ventura) to FA, and it looked like Thomas was finished playing 1B. Little did I know, he's only an average 1B defensively, and no manager in their right mind is going to put this clown at 3B or LF anymore.

In retrospect, trading a talented CFer with great speed for a glorified DH was rather stupid.

Yeah, Cameron is not a perennial all-star, but he would have been serviceable for the last 5 years, unlike this CF merry-go-round we have been having.

SoxxoS
03-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Kip. He's the young, cheap, incredibly good, and would fill a huge void on the club.

I think "incredibly good" is a little much for Kip Wells. I would only describe a select few of players as "incredibly good."

Veeky
03-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Does "almost" count?

Because if it does....For a while I was mad as hell the way
KW anc Ko. were using every trick in the book to run Frank out of Town.

:angry:

ondafarm
03-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Foulke.

CubKilla
03-28-2004, 05:09 PM
It's funny to see the names of the majority of ex-Sox the WSI fans want back because most of the names mentioned..... Foulke, Wells, Fogg, and Durham..... are players KW either traded or let get away for some of the absolute worst players KW has acquired..... Botch and Ritchie.

I'm shocked no one mentioned the self-proclaimed "upper echelon of defensive SS's" Royce "The Choice" K-layton.

jamteh
03-28-2004, 06:13 PM
I'd say Foulke, but Royce Ring could turn out to be a solid closer as well.

JRIG
03-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Tough call between Durham and Wells. Durham would fill a huge need at the top of the order and at 2B. I'd probably say Kip Wells because he's still cheap, he's a starter, and he'd look good in the #3 spot in the rotation.

Daver
03-28-2004, 06:18 PM
This is the same Kip Wells that crapped in his pants everytime he got in a jam right?

The Pirates can keep him.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Good point on Royce Ring. Way too much to give up for Alomar last season. JR's cheapness has depleted the entire farm system because KW is forced to give up top prospects so that the other team pays the rest of the contract. While I have no problem with that since I'd rather see the team win now than later, but when you don't end up in the playoffs, it hurts pretty bad in 5 years if they turn into studs.

Veeky
03-28-2004, 07:01 PM
This is the same Kip Wells that crapped in his pants everytime he got in a jam right?

No, this is the same Kip Wells who has an excellent arm, tolerable control and who's just entered his prime.

Too bad he can't close in big games.

Mo308oM
03-28-2004, 07:42 PM
foulke

Irishsox1
03-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Josh Fogg. He never got a chance with the Sox and has been a good pitcher for the Pirates. Everyone else either I didn't like or they were tradeable due to contracts. As for Foulke, I don't miss him and his change up or his desire to be a starter for the White Sox. Foulke has a nack for folding when it matters. 2000 playoffs he blew it in game 1 against Seattle and last year for Oakland he blew game 4 against the Red Sox. I'm not saying I love Koch, but Foulke needed a new start elsewhere.

chisox56
03-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Josh Fogg

Huisj
03-28-2004, 08:27 PM
yeah it's the kip wells that held NL batters to well under a hit per inning last year. I'd take him.

SoxxoS
03-28-2004, 08:41 PM
How can anyone say that they want Josh Fogg over Kip Wells? That is ludacris.

10-9 with a 5.26 ERA and 1.45 WHIP....

The guy is barely better than Shoenweis.

beckett21
03-28-2004, 10:10 PM
My vote would be Durham followed closely by Kip Wells. I don't so much miss Foulke as I hate Koch. Just getting rid of Koch altogether would be an improvement, let Marte close. He could do as well or better than Foulke. Scott Sullivan is a guy who wasn't with us long, but we could really use his rubber arm this season too. That was a big loss IMO.

Hangar18
03-28-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Good point on Royce Ring. Way too much to give up for Alomar last season. JR's cheapness has depleted the entire farm system because KW is forced to give up top prospects so that the other team pays the rest of the contract. While I have no problem with that since I'd rather see the team win now than later, but when you don't end up in the playoffs, it hurts pretty bad in 5 years if they turn into studs.

That Bothers me, I swear to this day, us not having Sugar Ray Durham anymore. Because of Money, we Opened up 4 Holes in our lineup, than in a Desperate Move, WE TRADE A guy that can be pretty Good Pitcher down the line, Just to SHORE UP 2 of the 4 holes we CREATED IN THE FIRST PLACE. What a waste, instead of getting something of REAL VALUE for Ring, We lose Him ALSO. And we dont even have Alomar anymore to boot. I guess I know why we havnt been to a World Series since 1959

kermittheefrog
03-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Kip Wells, Mike Cameron and Keith Foulke. In that order.

Veeky
03-28-2004, 11:56 PM
I can't put Durham in the same category as Wells.

One was cheap and young. The other over 30, on the verge of succumbing to naggin injuries, making 6.5 Mill a year and asking for 7-8.

Another thing is who we traded them for. While Adkins is noone's Gagne, he was harmless. Whereas Todd Ritchie and Billy Koch probably singlehandedly killed whatever chances we had in 2002-2003 seasons.

So it's much easier for me to "let go" of Ray-Ray, then it is of Foulke and especially Kipster.

bobj4400
03-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe

LOL. I am sitting at my desk laughing uncontrolably.

TaylorStSox
03-29-2004, 01:06 PM
lol @ the Royce Ring love fest. It makes me wonder if you have ever seen him pitch.

denev1
03-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Simply Tony G. by now, I have let Keith go... But Tony's tough to take. A guy that you could put in anywhere at any time and know what your getting is uber important. I'm still waiting for someone to prove that he couldn't pitch if you needed him to :)

Veeky
03-29-2004, 01:49 PM
BTW, Foulke in Boston will be priceless. He'll be sweaty, weird, and shaky by the end of April

Keith Foulke will be fine.

Sub-3.00 ERA, 85% save conversion rate and good W-L record.

Yes, I am prescient as well as clairvoyant, why do you ask?

steff
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Albert freakin Belle!!!

ode to veeck
03-29-2004, 04:04 PM
From recent trades I'd say Kip Wells, especially since he had already stopped crapping his pants and producing some tough starts, even before we traded him. His record with the Bucs is not surprizing at all. Replace D White with Kip starts last season and see how many games behind the Twins woulda been (Paniccia notwithstanding)

Foulke is getting up there, but would be the next choice, though don't know if his whining about getting starting role woulda panned out as trouble or not. He's clearly a good two pitch closer and will be effective as long as he can keep enough speed on the fastball to set up his palmball.

Durham would be nice without the price tag, cause then we'd have some more run production from the batter at 2B. However, he was NEVER an effective leadoff man, for mostly mental reasons. Not that he didn't have the physical tools, but swung for the fences way too much.

We still have that hole at leadoff man that was best filled by the couple of months that Lofton was a healthy WhiteSox. He and Ray Ray had the Sox leading in steals a couple of springs back. Sorry to say that last season, an aging Robbie was closest we've seen to a bona fide leadoff for the last couple of years ... and still nothing on the horizon yet.

Kid Kip
03-29-2004, 06:34 PM
kip wells cause my handle wouldn't suck as much.