PDA

View Full Version : sox/cubs world series...a good thing?

uribe151
03-27-2004, 09:10 PM
of course we want to see the white sox in this year's WORLD SERIES against anybody,
and of course BEAT anybody, but if it is the cubs, it means abiding euphoric cub fans all
all season or even rooting for the cubs...

i say YES! it would be the greatest thing that ever happened!

the sox will win!

ChiSoxFann
03-27-2004, 09:57 PM
ill take the Sox in the series agains anybody i could care less agins whom

MRKARNO
03-27-2004, 10:01 PM
It would be just too much to take emotionally. Give me the Phillies, the Giants, the Astros, The Marlins or anyone else. I think the Cubs would just be too much unless both teams had already won the series before that time. If the Sox lost, I dont know what I'd do. If they won though, it would be incredible.

Fenway
03-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Believe me the last team the Sox want to face after winning the AL Pennant is the Cubs. We don't need the circus

Letterman would have the Billy Goat playing Babe's piano

Oh wait....

you mean a ChiSox/Cubs series

:smile:

I can not believe I spent this much money for glorified bleachers

The following is your on-line ticket purchase summary. If you have any questions regarding your order, please contact the Boston Red Sox 1-877-RED-SOX9.Thank you for your order. We appreciate your patronage. Enjoy the game!

Tickets will be mailed at least two weeks prior to the first game of your order.

All sales are final. There are no refunds. All game times subject to change. Children age two and under do not require a ticket for admission.

The address information you enter during the ordering process MUST MATCH THE ADDRESS USED WHEN YOU REGISTERED. ANY DUPLICATE ORDERS OR ORDERS WITH NON-MATCHING ADDRESSES WILL BE CANCELLED.

A $3.50 per ticket convenience fee and a $5.00 per order handling fee will be assessed to all online ticket orders.

Thank you for your purchase. Receive a 15% discount on your purchase at MLB.com Shop by clicking here:
http://shop.mlb.com/dr/v2/ec_Main.Entry?SP=10007&SID=35079&CID=79873

----------------------------------------------------------
Newton Highlands, MA USA 02461

MasterCard XXXX XXXX XXXX XXX

Deliver To:
Kevin Vahey
Ship via - Regular Mail

NOTE: All amounts for this event are in US Dollars ($)

The tickets you have purchased are:
Angels at Red Sox
Thursday, 9/2/04 at 7:05PM EDT
Green Monster

Section Row Seat Price Type
M10 1 5 $90.00 Full Price
M10 1 6 $90.00 Full Price
M10 1 7 $90.00 Full Price
M10 1 8 $90.00 Full Price

Total Convenience Fee for 4 seats $14.00
Price for 4 seats $374.00
Subtotal: $374.00
Shipping & Order Processing: $5.00
Total: $379.00

Thank you,

Boston Red Sox

Railsplitter
03-27-2004, 10:44 PM
Bad thing. The fans of the loding team will never hear the end of it. .

batmanZoSo
03-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by uribe151
of course we want to see the white sox in this year's WORLD SERIES against anybody,
and of course BEAT anybody, but if it is the cubs, it means abiding euphoric cub fans all
all season or even rooting for the cubs...

i say YES! it would be the greatest thing that ever happened!

the sox will win!

I could hardly handle the stress of playing anyone in the World Series, let alone the cubs--where the possibility (albeit a slight one) of them beating us ensures a long, long winter to follow.

Palehose13
03-27-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I could hardly handle the stress of playing anyone in the World Series, let alone the cubs--where the possibility (albeit a slight one) of them beating us ensures a long, long winter to follow.

I second. Losing to the cubs in the WS might be worse than them getting to the big dance before we do.

cwsox
03-27-2004, 11:59 PM
I am a Sox fan and I am not an anticubs fan

so what happens to them is meaningless for the most part to me

but I don't want them anywhere near a world series

not anywhere near

Whitesox029
03-28-2004, 12:41 AM
This is a paradox, a question that can be summed up best by an analogy to a game-show gamble...Do you take what you have and walk away with it? (just being in the series when the cubs are not would be sweet) or do you go for the gold but risk losing it all? (Sox beating the cubs would be the ultimate prize, but the cubs beating us would be the last nail in our coffin). I'm not a risk-taker-I say Sox vs. anyone else.

WhiteSox = Life
03-28-2004, 01:36 AM
I really don't care if the Sox face the Cubs in the World Series, or any opponent, as long as they win the championship.

I must admit, though, that while it would be extra sweet for the Sox to meet and beat the Cubs in the World Series, it could literally destory Chicago. I don't know how bad it was during the Mets and Yankees Series in 2000, but I would surmise that Sox-Cubs would be armageddonous.

If I had to pick a team, though, I would like it to be the Dodgers or the Reds to avenge one of the two World Series losses (or perhaps back to back championships beating either team). I would have to go with the Reds over the Dodgers just because of the morbid history with the Cincinnati ballclub.

All that really matters is the last game of the World Series is won by the White Sox.

:D:

batmanZoSo
03-28-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
I really don't care if the Sox face the Cubs in the World Series, or any opponent, as long as they win the championship.

I must admit, though, that while it would be extra sweet for the Sox to meet and beat the Cubs in the World Series, it could literally destory Chicago. I don't know how bad it was during the Mets and Yankees Series in 2000, but I would surmise that Sox-Cubs would be armageddonous.

If I had to pick a team, though, I would like it to be the Dodgers or the Reds to avenge one of the two World Series losses (or perhaps back to back championships beating either team). I would have to go with the Reds over the Dodgers just because of the morbid history with the Cincinnati ballclub.

All that really matters is the last game of the World Series is won by the White Sox.

:D:

That would be poetic if we beat the Reds in our next world series. I hope it happens this year because we'd definitely win.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-28-2004, 03:50 AM
2006, 1906 will happen again

ode to veeck
03-28-2004, 10:09 AM
I hate to say it, but what a bunch of Whooosies we have here in the Clubhouse! Afraid the Flubs would beat the Sox in the Series!?!? C'mon, the risk of that happening would be far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far outwieghed by the opportunity to thrash them like in '06 all over again, no matter who they got or what the rest of the world thinks. Bring on Letterman and Leno and watch them pale as the Flubs get Pale Hosed!! You've gotta have confidence in your Sox, no room for half-a__ed non-totally biased Sox fans here!! I wonder how the heck are you folks manage to get out of bed in the morning. Jeeez! :redneck

my that mocha was strong this morning, maybe I oughta eat something and mellow out a little

jabrch
03-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Fenway, what was that mastercard number?

Originally posted by fenway
I can not believe I spent this much money for glorified bleachers

The following is your on-line ticket purchase summary. If you have any questions regarding your order, please contact the Boston Red Sox 1-877-RED-SOX9.Thank you for your order. We appreciate your patronage. Enjoy the game!

Tickets will be mailed at least two weeks prior to the first game of your order.

All sales are final. There are no refunds. All game times subject to change. Children age two and under do not require a ticket for admission.

Newton Highlands, MA USA 02461

MasterCard XXXX XXXX XXXX XXX

Deliver To:
Kevin Vahey
Ship via - Regular Mail

NOTE: All amounts for this event are in US Dollars ($)

The tickets you have purchased are:
Angels at Red Sox
Thursday, 9/2/04 at 7:05PM EDT
Green Monster

Section Row Seat Price Type
M10 1 5 $90.00 Full Price
M10 1 6 $90.00 Full Price
M10 1 7 $90.00 Full Price
M10 1 8 $90.00 Full Price

Total Convenience Fee for 4 seats $14.00
Price for 4 seats $374.00
Subtotal: $374.00
Shipping & Order Processing: $5.00
Total: $379.00

Thank you,

Boston Red Sox

mantis1212
03-28-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
I hate to say it, but what a bunch of Whooosies we have here in the Clubhouse! Afraid the Flubs would beat the Sox in the Series!?!? C'mon, the risk of that happening would be far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far outwieghed by the opportunity to thrash them like in '06 all over again, no matter who they got or what the rest of the world thinks. Bring on Letterman and Leno and watch them pale as the Flubs get Pale Hosed!! You've gotta have confidence in your Sox, no room for half-a__ed non-totally biased Sox fans here!! I wonder how the heck are you folks manage to get out of bed in the morning. Jeeez! :redneck

my that mocha was strong this morning, maybe I oughta eat something and mellow out a little

DAMN STRAIGHT!! Gimme some of that coffee

voodoochile
03-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck

I'm not concerened with losing, I just don't want to see the flubbies in the series, ever. For this to happen, I have to almost root for the flubbies all season long. Not going to happen...

SoxBoy14
03-28-2004, 12:26 PM
I would love to see the Sox demolish the cubs in the World Series! But if the Sox lost we'd never hear the last of it from flub fans. Although if we lost that would make the series tied with the Sox beating the cubs in the WS and the cubs beating the Sox in the WS.

Dubman
03-28-2004, 12:36 PM
I want to play the Cubs in our third or fourth WS of the new millennium. If we played the Unlovable Losers in our next WS we won't garner even 50% of the media attention. The Sox and us deserve better. I want all of the Chicago media, at least, to focus on the Sox to cultivate new Sox fans. If we have to share the limelight with the Cubs, the Sox fan base we'll remain stagnet.

Playing and beating the Cubs in our, lets say, third WS of the 00s would be a coup d' e'tat against Cub dominance in our fair city. I not only want to win between the lines I want to win in the stands as well.

:)

hsnterprize
03-28-2004, 12:38 PM
I don't have a problem with a Cubs/White Sox World Series. I think it would be great for the city of Chicago and baseball in general. However, the Flubbie lovers in the local and national media wouldn't stop hyping the Cubbie mystique...even though the Sox would be right there. Not to mention, the idea of the Cubs actually beating teh Sox in the W.S. is more than this Sox fan is willing to deal with. However, there are positives here.

If the Sox...or should I say...WHEN the Sox beat the Cubs in a world series, all those who swear by the Cubbie blue would be shocked beyond belief. Now...there would be those who would keep saying the familiar "wait 'til next year." line, and Wrigley Field would still be considered a great "shrine" to baseball. Yet, the local and national sports world would finally see what we Sox fans already know...that the Sox and their fans are the BEST in Chicago baseball. It's just that when our team is celebrating a world championship over their hated local rivals, the Sox will be crowned the best team in all of baseball. Maybe at that point, the Sox and Sox fans will finally get some legitimate respect within all this Cubbie blue-lovin' hype we're dealing with.

santo=dorf
03-28-2004, 01:18 PM
The only time I would like to see the Sox play the Cubs in the World Series is if the Sox are defending their crown, or if we are a lock to sweep them. Could you imagine the media?
CUBS LOSE!!!
Sox win.
More at 11.

I can only imagine what Cub fans would be acting like if we won in 6 or 7 games.

"Well, at least we beat you guys 3 times, and if it weren't for game X, we would've won the series."
"If Gracey wasn't hurt, we could've easily won two more games against you guys."
"Don't get so happy yet. You guys won 4 games, we won 3. Not too much of a difference is there?"

TDog
03-28-2004, 05:16 PM
If the Sox played the Cubs in the World Series, the Sox wouldn't be mentioned in the national media. In Chicago, they would barely be mentioned at all as the footnote to the hysteria over the Cubs making the series. National TV would do constant stories about the entire city being Cub-crazy.

I have not forgotten the abuse I took growing up in Cubs country southeast of Chicago in the 1960s. I would hate to see the Cubs lose 100 games because that would mean they would win 62. It is a bad thing whenever the Cubs win. Still, if you read newspapers around the country, you get the impression they are the only baseball team worth caring about.

Fenway
03-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Fenway, what was that mastercard number?

You can have the number now after buying Bruins playoff tickets and Monster seats, I don't even have enough for a beer

:gulp:

Stanley is coming home after 32 years

Deadguy
03-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by fenway
You can have the number now after buying Bruins playoff tickets and Monster seats, I don't even have enough for a beer

:gulp:

Stanley is coming home after 32 years

Oh well. Time to find an abondoned house, bust out the old credit card number generator prog, and go on an online spending spree!

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Yeah, the headlines would be something like....

CUBS FALL SHORT IN FIRST WORLD SERIES APPERANCE SINCE 1945
White Sox announce plans for Grant Park parade

Veeky
03-28-2004, 06:40 PM
This is very simple:

Anyone who even remotely cares about the future of the White Sox does NOT want to see 'World Series' used anywhere near the 'Cubs'.

Veeky
03-28-2004, 06:44 PM
I should add I would rather see the Sox lose in ALCS if it meant the Cubs weren't even close to making the playoffs.....than to see both teams square off in the 'Series. I do not have a lot of faith in our starting 3. Sorry.

jortafan
03-28-2004, 08:38 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't understand those of you who would be willing to see the Sox miss a World Series shot for a guarantee of sorts that the Cubs wouldn't come close.

I'd settle for the Sox in the World Series regardless of who they would have to play. Should they happen to play the Cubs, that's all the better. Beating them would be more fun.

Although there would be some elements that would try to portray such an event as the "Scum Sox" depriving a deserving Cubs team of a championship, I say screw them. And for those of you who "fear" a loss to the Cubs, get real. There's very little in baseball that's a sure thing. Go root for the Yankees if you can't handle the thought of a loss.

In short, I'm 38, and have been rooting for this team for over three decades. I want a White Sox World Series victory at some point in my life.

santo=dorf
03-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Here's another reason. If the Cubs and Sox played in the World Series, who do you think the nation would be rooting more for? We would probably only have the support from Astros, cardinals, and maybe KC or Twins fans.

Veeky
03-28-2004, 09:14 PM
In short, I'm 38, and have been rooting for this team for over three decades. I want a White Sox World Series victory at some point in my life

Your life, your life -- it's all about you, isn't it?

:)

Veeky
03-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Here's another reason. If the Cubs and Sox played in the World Series, who do you think the nation would be rooting more for?

Who gives a ****! One of the charms/perks of being a Sox fan is being the cool underdog who doesn't give the media a time a day. The more casual fan yokels root for the Klubbies, the better -- it'll make the Meltdown more sweet as far as I am concerned.

My problem is with having Loiaza-Buerhle-Garland-Show/Marte-Koch-Shingo VS Jesus-Wood-Zambrano-Maddux/Hawkins-Borowski-Country. A mismatch.

So, unless Sox are by far the better team heading into the WS match-up I'd rather them NOT take a chance. Plus, stringing together a few ALCS's in row while the Cubs miss out on the post-season altogether is not such a bad idea in principle -- it will help get many of our alienated fans back, will build revenue momentum, resulting in higher payrolls -- which in turn would mean a World Series contender every year for decades to come. Everybody wins. :D:

That's just me.

beckett21
03-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Veeky
Who gives a ****! One of the charms/perks of being a Sox fan is being the cool underdog who doesn't give the media a time a day. The more casual fan yokels root for the Klubbies, the better -- it'll make the Meltdown more sweet as far as I am concerned.

My problem is with having Loiaza-Buerhle-Garland-Show/Marte-Koch-Shingo VS Jesus-Wood-Zambrano-Maddux/Hawkins-Borowski-Country. A mismatch.

So, unless Sox are by far the better team heading into the WS match-up I'd rather them NOT take a chance. Plus, making a few ALCS's while the Cubs miss out on the post-season altogether is not such a bad idea in principle -- it will help get many of our alienated fans back, will build revenue momentum, resulting in higher payrolls -- which in turn would mean a World Series contender every year for decades to come.

That's just me.

Here's another way to look at it:

Say the Cubs do make the WS, for the sake of argument. Would anyone here truly prefer that the Sox were NOT in it? Win or lose, the Cubs got there first. I would rather that we had destiny in our own hands than leave it up to someone else to finish them off. And let's all remember: WE OWN THEM. It's like Bears/Packers. Throw records out the window. We have a psychological advantage over them because we beat them like a drum year after year. Remember in the given scenario we are in the WS too, so apparently we did something right to get there.

I'm 100% with ode to veeck. Gimme the Cubs. The shock value would be fantastic. And we would probably sweep them, with Carlos Lee hitting about .800.

Corlose 15
03-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by TDog
If the Sox played the Cubs in the World Series, the Sox wouldn't be mentioned in the national media. In Chicago, they would barely be mentioned at all as the footnote to the hysteria over the Cubs making the series. National TV would do constant stories about the entire city being Cub-crazy.

Thats what made me so mad about the NLCS and the playoffs last year. I was SO sick of the media and fox and etc. saying the entire city of Chicago was behind the Cubs and died with that whole Bartman ball thing. It was like there wasn't 2 teams in town. I don't live in Chicago but I was a big time Marlins fan last October.

gosox3072
03-29-2004, 12:41 AM
I voted for yes, but i cant even imagine how emotionally draining it would be for me. Hell i was drained with the cubs in it this year i cant imagine how much i would be if the sox were in it themselves let alone vs the cubs

Baby Fisk
03-29-2004, 12:22 PM
CUBS TAKE THREE!
AL upstarts take 4, win World Series.

Ugly south side fans cheer beloved Cubbies demise.

North side continues dominance in WS appearences.

Belushi: "This is bad for baseball."

Corgan: "We all know they cheated."

Reinsdorf: "New ticket prices to be announced shortly."

LipMan: "Bah! This organization is a tragedy!"