PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts 3/27/04

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 06:43 PM
I stopped by the local Dominicks over on Ashland & Archer
last nite to get some things for a BBQ. In a hurry and in a frazzled mood, I walked thru the revolving doors to see a hulking gentleman sitting at a table with a bunch of Sox hats & Tshirts, along with Cub hats. The guy looked exactly like
that rapper "Heavy D". Anyway, Heavy D is sitting at the table, merrily talking to anyone walking in. Hes selling subscriptions for a newspaper and is wearing one of the Flubby hats. He sees me coming in and Instinctively asks me If Id like a cubs hat or a Sox hat today, holding a cub hat in his hand and gesturing towards it. I stop in my tracks and give him a smirk, and thats when he Notices that Im wearing my SOX Jacket (per my Slap-Chicago-Media-In-the-face sanctions) We had the Following Annoying if not Comical exchange.

heavyD: I see you a whitesox fan

Hangar: Of course man........Shouldnt YOU be wearing a Sox Hat man, you realize your on the SouthSide right?

heavyD: awwww man.....the sox aint sh**

Hangar: (laughs) Yeah, thats how come we took 4 out of 6
last year right?

heavyD: You know that aint gonna happen this year man, we got maddux now

Hangar: So you think Maddux is going to take you guys all the way?

heavyD: Yeah man, Look how close we got last year, this is the year man. cubs goin to the world series man

Hangar: You guys said that in 1989 remember? and you said that in 1990. and you guys said that in 1991. and you said it again in 1992 .....(people are watching us now, and laughing)

heavyd: aww man..........Whitesox fans just hatin man....
Why you hate the Cubs so much man.....you should cheer for us

Hangar: I cant stand that team. The lying media makes you think theyve got all these world championships. They Helped get rid of the last Commissioner in baseball, thats one of the reasons I hate that team ...........

heavyd: come on man, when did that happen?........ you just hatin because you know the Cubs are the most popular team in the world

Hangar: In the world? your crazy....who told you that?

heavyD: yeah man...people love the cubs man....Look at all the Cub hats I gave away today.....I only have these left now (points to a few cub hats) if Y'all SOX fans were so HardCore, how come Y'all aint taking no SOX hats from me then? (shows me about 5 cub hats left, no tshirts left, and about 15 sox hats and a fewsox tshirts on the table)

Hangar: The reason SOX fans arent taking your hats man, IS Because SOX FANS ALREADY OWN ALL THE MERCHANDISE, WERE NOT ALL JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON
(some people start laughing in the store with my comment, a guy walks by and yells "cubs suck")

HeavyD: ok man, you pretty funny, but I'll bet you dont even have a Sox Hat yourself

Hangar: Matter of Fact, I have TWO of them in the car right now
(hangar walks to his car, which luckily was in the 1st row by the doors, and retrieves his hat)

HeavyD: (sees hat on Hangar) Ok man, I see you do have a hat now ......... I see you must be a real fan, but how come the rest of Y'all dont go to the games, empty ass stadium (laughs)
Cubs have the most loyal fans, look at all of our games that are sold out. man weve been selling out games since .......

Hangar: yeah, SOld out. Cub fans are sell-outs (laughs)

HeavyD: Then how come ya'll dont go to the games?

Hangar: First of all you realize cub fans dont go to watch the games right? they go there to Mack on chicks, and chicks go there because they want to meet guys. THE ONLY REASONS MAN

HeavyD: Man you Crazy, cub fans support they team, and they know whats up

Hangar: Yeah? then name me 5 pitchers on your team

HeavyD: Wood, Prior.............(thinking aloud)..........Maddux
..................(continues thinking)
Hangar: Man.....you cant even tell me whos on your team (laughs out loudly)
HeavyD: Alfonseca, Clement ..........(thinking)
Hangar: (laughs Loudly again) man, you realize AlFATSeca aint on the team anymore right? (laughs)
HeavyD: he aint?
Hangar: (laughs) see what I mean man? Why dont you tell me who your thirdbaseman was last year ??

HeavyD: man thats easy ....................(stumbles with thoughts)

Hangar: (waits for HeavyD's answer) OK.....I'll make it easier......tell me ANY thirdbaseman from the last 5 years then ....

HeavyD: damn............what the F*** was that dudes name....
(getting agitated he cant name a player, and that people are watching us)

Hangar: Bellhorn was your thirdbaseman man ......

HeavyD: Oh yeah, thats right! ok man , you got me on that one, but you still know ya'll dont be going to the games

Hangar: yeah, how do you know this? you read the papers?

HeavyD: hell yeah I read the papers, they talk about it

Hangar: did it occur to you that the papers might be lying? or stretching the truth?

HeavyD: come on man ...........now you talking crazy

Hangar: Think about it......WHO OWNS THE CUBS?

HeavyD: wgn owns the cubs....

Hangar: well, yes. but the TRIBUNE OWNS THE CUBS, and TRIB also Owns WGN. Dont you think they want to HYPE their Product up all the time and televise their games all the time?

HeavyD: Ok, but thats good for the cubs man ...

Hangar: Ever hear of Public Enemy?

HeavyD: hell yeah, my man flavor flav .......

Hangar: You know that song "Dont believe the Hype?"
HeavyD: (starts laughing) ok I see where you going with this...

Hangar: you do? let me tell you something, cub fans dont know sh*t, SOX FANS are the most hardcore in this town, and probably in baseball

HeavyD: Thats why you guys dont go to the games right?
look, all I know is We going to the world series man, then we'll see who the real team is

Hangar: Man, how can you get to the series if theres a CURSE?

HeavyD: Man.....we got rid of that curse .....

Hangar: How? by some niteclub buying the ball and giving themselves Publicity so you foolish fans could come out and think the curse is over? hahahahahahahah The curse was started with a GOAT remember?

HeavyD: Oh yeah man.....you right about that, that was some bull S**** stuff right there with that ball, but look I wasnt all into that, I just knew they was blowing up the ball ........

Hangar: (laughs) man, Curse Once Inflicted Can Never Be Lifted. ever hear that saying? its true, and the way I figure it, most CUrses last at LEAST 150 years .........so you and I wont see a cub world series for at least another 6o something years....

HeavyD: 60something years? more than that dont you think?
the curse started in 1969

Hangar: are you kidding me?

HeavyD: yeah, they wouldnt let that dumbass goat into a game in 1969 ......

Hangar: (laughing again) man....your just like a cubfan, dont even know your teams History ........The curse was ina worldseries .........from 1945

HeavyD: for real?

Hangar: Yeah. and did you know you guys havnt had 2 winning seasons in a row since the 1970's? (laughs)

HeavyD: come on now man, now you faking, the cubs have been winning a lot the last 10yrs .......

Hangar: winning? you guys havnt had 2 winning seasons ina arow......thats the TRUTH..... hahahahaha

HeavyD: man, you know you lyin (laughs) weve been winning a lot the last few yrs, just aint got nothin to show for it.
Maddux is here now man, why you think he came back here? He came cuz he wanted to go to the series again, and he knew the cubs .......were goin all the way. I love the cubs man ............

Hangar: Like I said, cub fans dont know what theyre talking about .........Maddux came here because No Other Team Wanted Him, you realize that right?

HeavyD: He said he came cuz cubs fans are the best in the world man .......the only reason he came back here

Hangar: WOuldnt you say that if noone wanted you also?

HeavyD: man.......Ok think about this. last years playoffs, was the most watched in the history of baseball man.....
in the HISTORY of baseball ......

Hangar: I dont know about that man, Who told you that? the CUBS? (laughs) .....

HeavyD: Yup man.....and know why? because the world loves the cubs man, thats why people wanted the cubs and the redsox in the series, because both teams Aint never been to the series

Hangar: Listen to you man. Believing the Hype. You know the REDSOX were in the 1986 world series right? So there you go......the Media Just got to you and made you believe all that bulljive .........

HeavyD: RedSox went in 86 ?? for real?

Hangar: yeah man, trust me. You just got BandWagoned
you know that right? SOX fans dont fall for the Hype, were smarter than that (laughs) Know what Happens when TOO MANY PEOPLE GET ON THE BANDWAGON RIGHT?

HeavyD: (thinks .....) what happens?

Hangar: The Wheels Break Off man ...... Just like Last Year
(Laughs loudly)

HeavyD: (sheepishly) Ok man...... Y'all know your baseball.....
but we going to the World Series man .......

Hangar: (walking away) NEVER. you will NEVER see a world series my man (laughs)

In case any of you want to meet this guy, hes at the Dominicks on Ashland thru Sunday he said. Another cub fan that doesnt know anything lol. Cubfan or not, he was a nice guy...........and sure was getting alot of subscriptions ....Just a little misguided about his choice of teams

DrummerGeorgefan
03-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Good story.....

As a sox fan who lives 4 blocks from wrigley, i get that type of stuff all the time. I catch the redline at addison. So that morning when all those "fans" were in line with their bracelets to get tickets, i decided to sport the sox hat before going to school. I walk by the line and some guy calls me out for the hat. Needless to say a similar exchange ensues with the guy (who had a nice backwards upside down cubs visor on and a we got wood shirt....obviously just bought from across the street) in which i made him look like a fool. As i walk away, an older (55+) guy stops me and says "Thanks, I hate these bandwagon fans"

Its bad when even your true cub fans somewhat resent last year because of the idiocy it has bred

maurice
03-27-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Hangar: Yeah? then name me 5 pitchers on your team . . . .
Why dont you tell me who your thirdbaseman was last year?

That's good stuff. The old "name 5 players" question gets 95% of them and 100% of the bandwagon jumpers.

soltrain21
03-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by maurice
That's good stuff. The old "name 5 players" question gets 95% of them and 100% of the bandwagon jumpers.

That's always my ace in the hole during an argument..

SoxBoy14
03-27-2004, 07:01 PM
Just curious, have you ever got into an argument with one of the few cub fans who know their baseball?

soltrain21
03-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
Just curious, have you ever got into an argument with one of the few cub fans who know their baseball?

Have you ever found a needle in a haystack?

uribe151
03-27-2004, 07:05 PM
they may ask us to name five of our pitchers
and no, mr. zero does not count

DrummerGeorgefan
03-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Living around wrigley I will sit on my porch and talk to some of the older cub fans. They know their baseball and tell some good stories.

The true question is can you find a cub fan under 30 who can talk the game

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 07:18 PM

You know what .............now that I think about it ...........
the answer is NEVER. and the few that could talk some baseball, and I stress the word FEW, I STILL KNEW more
than they did. Wow, that is unbelievable. no wonder Ive
been calling them the Dumbest Fans in the game

JohnJeter
03-27-2004, 07:18 PM
There are a bunch of knowledgeable ones here:

http://wc4.worldcrossing.com/webx?14@108.PtDdbSJMN4Q.392129@.ee8bb43

Some fairly pointed senses of humor and "expect the worst" a la some of the posters here.

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 07:20 PM
A Cub Fan can NEVER win an argument with a Sox Fan.
Its a known fact.

However, if that team somehow ended up
in the World Series, EVERY cub fan would simply revert to the
"well-who-went-to-the-series-last-year" comment. would be next to Impossible to win an argument then .........

Meixner007
03-27-2004, 07:20 PM

I know one. He's 21 and i've known him for 19 years. He is the only reason I don't completely believe cubs fans are morons.

Daver
03-27-2004, 07:25 PM
A Cub Fan can NEVER win an argument with a Sox Fan.
Its a known fact.

However, if that team somehow ended up
in the World Series, EVERY cub fan would simply revert to the
"well-who-went-to-the-series-last-year" comment. would be next to Impossible to win an argument then .........

How many arguments have you had with Vic?

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Daver
How many arguments have you had with Vic?

Ive never argued with him, but if he's knowledgeable,
than Vic would be Mr. Needle

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
There are a bunch of knowledgeable ones here:

http://wc4.worldcrossing.com/webx?14@108.PtDdbSJMN4Q.392129@.ee8bb43

Some fairly pointed senses of humor and "expect the worst" a la some of the posters here.

Took a walk over there.....they dont seem too bright im afraid.
I'll take Sox Fans as being brighter

SoxBoy14
03-27-2004, 07:52 PM

That goes without question. :smile:

bc2k
03-27-2004, 07:57 PM
and thats when he Notices that Im wearing my SOX Jacket (per my Slap-Chicago-Media-In-the-face sanctions)

Hangar, you're a Sox fan. Glad you're representing our side. :)

Northside fan
03-27-2004, 08:01 PM
the answer is NEVER. and the few that could talk some baseball, and I stress the word FEW, I STILL KNEW more

Never?LMAO! Seems to me I have called you out multiple times on baseball related subjects and you then just give up answering my questions because you have lost the argument. Just go back to the Cubs/Sox lineup thread and you will see what I'm talking about. I'm still waiting for you to answer a question I posed to you in that very thread. Hangar, there are all types of fans on both sides of town that do not know their teams. Here is an example of a Sox fan I work with from last year. The Sox released Josh Paul and I mentioned to him that the Cubs signed him. I asked him how he felt about it and he said-who is he?? I laughed in his mug and said you don't even know your own flippin team. He said, I just don't keep up with the stiffs on the team. I said yeah right.

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Never?LMAO! Seems to me I have called you out multiple times on baseball related subjects and you then just give up answering my questions because you have lost the argument. Just go back to the Cubs/Sox lineup thread and you will see what I'm talking about. I'm still waiting for you to answer a question I posed to you in that very thread. Hangar, there are all types of fans on both sides of town that do not know their teams. Here is an example of a Sox fan I work with from last year. The Sox released Josh Paul and I mentioned to him that the Cubs signed him. I asked him how he felt about it and he said-who is he?? I laughed in his mug and said you don't even know your own flippin team. He said, I just don't keep up with the stiffs on the team. I said yeah right.

*sigh* had a feeling youd be answering in here hehheh
I did answer your question, go to Said Thread (rhyming) and then go to bed heh heh. I did answer your question, and since were on the Dumbest Fans Ever subject, I will admit, your not as dumb as some of your brethren. BUT you and a few others do not a Majority Make. Now go buy me an OldStyle

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 08:08 PM
I did answer your question, go to Said Thread (rhyming) and then go to bed heh heh. I did answer your question, and since were on the Dumbest Fans Ever subject, I will admit, your not as dumb as some of your brethren. BUT you and a few others do not a Majority Make. Now go buy me an OldStyle

and by the way, when have you ever gotten over one on me in a discussion? I beg to differ. I think I see a good old-fashioned Debate on WTTW coming up :smile:
and "sox still suck" "we got wood" and "the games are funner" arent answers either heh heh

bc2k
03-27-2004, 08:12 PM

What's that?

http://www.nicksbuilding.com/CBA%20Images/CBA_RT_4157_small.jpg

Northside fan
03-27-2004, 08:13 PM

You call that answering a question? I call that DODGING a question. You just know that answering the question I posed to you will tear your argument to shreds, so you choose not to answer it. Hangar, let me assure you, if you ever met up with my Cubs fans friends and I, you would leave with your tail between your legs. It is one thing to meet up with a johnny come lately fan and expose him on his lack of baseball knowledge, it is quite another to meet a fan who knows what they are talking about. A frikin grocery store is where you have these arguments with "Cubs fans"?? Yeah, lots of die-hards in those places.

Northside fan
03-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
What's that?

http://www.nicksbuilding.com/CBA%20Images/CBA_RT_4157_small.jpg

I get it, trust me. I do understand that right or wrong, I will NEVER win an argument on this site. I have always said that I appreciate the Sox fans out there that live and die with their team as I do mine. I'm sure I will get the boot from here sooner or later(hope I do not) but it will not be for slinging childish insults back and forth. Like I said, I just need to understand where I'm posting at and deal with it or leave.

Palehose13
03-27-2004, 08:37 PM
A frikin grocery store is where you have these arguments with "Cubs fans"?? Yeah, lots of die-hards in those places.

Cub fans don't eat?!?!?!?!

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 08:37 PM
You call that answering a question? I call that DODGING a question. A frikin grocery store is where you have these arguments with "Cubs fans"?? Yeah, lots of die-hards in those places.

Hey, Dodging Questions? Who do you think I am ?
Dusty Baker? This "cubs" fan was in a grocery store, yes
Its not like I asked him to be there. And he was wearing the CUbby blue with pride, not me. And your question really cant be answered because YES, those guys arent on the team any longer. HOWEVER, even with Colon, Everett and Alomar
on the team, the SOX STILL had more "home" grown players than the Roster-turnover-happy Flubbies. Fact is. OUR WHITE SOX will beat the National League All-Star Team wearing CUb uniforms anyday this year. Book It. I would be more than happy to drink some beverages with some cubby fan friends of yours. There aint no way you guys are "winning" the argument. Of course, you cant go and get some curmudgeonly old man cub fan, testing me with 1930's cub trivia (what cub led the league in GIDP? who gave up the most homers on the pitching staff)

Northside fan
03-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Hey, Dodging Questions? Who do you think I am ?
Dusty Baker? This "cubs" fan was in a grocery store, yes
Its not like I asked him to be there. And he was wearing the CUbby blue with pride, not me. And your question really cant be answered because YES, those guys arent on the team any longer. HOWEVER, even with Colon, Everett and Alomar
on the team, the SOX STILL had more "home" grown players than the Roster-turnover-happy Flubbies. Fact is. OUR WHITE SOX will beat the National League All-Star Team wearing CUb uniforms anyday this year. Book It. I would be more than happy to drink some beverages with some cubby fan friends of yours. There aint no way you guys are "winning" the argument. Of course, you cant go and get some curmudgeonly old man cub fan, testing me with 1930's cub trivia (what cub led the league in GIDP? who gave up the most homers on the pitching staff)

Hangar, the dope you met up with most likely was a johnny come lately hack, who knows only what he can see and hear. I would be willing to bet the guy would not even know who the Cubs co-rookie of the years were in 1989. Heck, I'll bet he could not name one. Also, and lets be honest here, the thing that drives you the most crazy is that these are the types of fans that YOU WANT ROOTING FOR YOUR SOX. By your own logic, if the media were to give the Sox equal time, these are EXACTLY the types of fans that would be taking up space at 35th and shields. Would that be ok? Are you following me here? Beers and baseball chat is always good on my books. We should have a few before the Cubs/sox throw down at the cell or Wrigley. Pick your spot, I'll/we'll buy.

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 08:48 PM
A frikin grocery store is where you have these arguments with "Cubs fans"?? Yeah, lots of die-hards in those places.

Ive been seeing a lot of "die-hards" in grocery stores, bowling alleys, bars, niteclubs, taco stands, gas stations, atm lines, banks. You can tell by the crisp new flubby hats, the brand new "Messiah" tshirts, the brand new "throwback" jerseys,
the "throwback" hats (funny, their hat hasnt changed all that much, but there are a ton of those popping up). How Can One Tell the Bandwagoneers from the "die-hards" at Wrigley?. I usually start with quick baseball related questions, questions regarding the state of the game, questions regarding some of the players. Sometimes, when im in a Crazy Mood, I'll simply ask someone what Inning were in. That usually tells me who the Bandwagoners are.

voodoochile
03-27-2004, 08:51 PM
I get it, trust me. I do understand that right or wrong, I will NEVER win an argument on this site. I have always said that I appreciate the Sox fans out there that live and die with their team as I do mine. I'm sure I will get the boot from here sooner or later(hope I do not) but it will not be for slinging childish insults back and forth. Like I said, I just need to understand where I'm posting at and deal with it or leave.

Too late. I told you to stop trolling. You didn't want to listen. This is a Sox site for Sox fans. Hangar is a Sox fan, a respected poster and a guy we all like. You are a flubbie troll. It didn't have to be that way, but oh well...

:hawk
"He Gawn!"

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Hangar, the dope you met up with most likely was a johnny come lately hack, who knows only what he can see and hear. I would be willing to bet the guy would not even know who the Cubs co-rookie of the years were in 1989. Heck, I'll bet he could not name one. Also, and lets be honest here, the thing that drives you the most crazy is that these are the types of fans that YOU WANT ROOTING FOR YOUR SOX. By your own logic, if the media were to give the Sox equal time, these are EXACTLY the types of fans that would be taking up space at 35th and shields. Would that be ok? Are you following me here? Beers and baseball chat is always good on my books. We should have a few before the Cubs/sox throw down at the cell or Wrigley. Pick your spot, I'll/we'll buy.

My point about the whole thing is.....Im RUNNING INTO these "fans" on a Regular Basis. And have been for quite some time. Now surely this isnt scientific by any means, but if an overwhelming majority of these "fans" come off as buffoons, is it safe to say then that the Majority of the fans in general are Buffoons? Maybe. Maybe not. im leaning towards maybe. The guy in the grocery store, sure talked the talk and walked the walk. He had that cubby hat on and was struttin his stuff Like a Peacock, in Full Bloom. HE HIMSELF said he was the biggest cub fan, which I knew to be hogwash because of past experiences. But how would I know one from the Other? I wouldnt. There are So many of you all over the place, its impossible. If the Media gave the SOX equal time? thats a good question, but one that wont make any sense anymore because whats DOne is done. There are at least 4 generations of Foolish Fans brainwashed. THE SOX would have to have the Same 4 generations just to see if things would "equal" out.
Ive said it once, ive said it again. The Cubs are a Media Creation, all hype and hoopla. Selling you something that really wasnt/isnt. As you SOW, SO SHALL YOU REAP, and that is the cub organizations Biggest downfall, and the last laugh if you will, of the SOX FAN. Were smarter.

MRKARNO
03-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Too late. I told you to stop trolling. You didn't want to listen. This is a Sox site for Sox fans. Hangar is a Sox fan, a respected poster and a guy we all like. You are a flubbie troll. It didn't have to be that way, but oh well...

"He Gawn!"

That came about a week too late.

leftbehindbuck
03-27-2004, 09:23 PM
I would be willing to bet the guy would not even know who the Cubs co-rookie of the years were in 1989.

the statement above was mentioned by northside fan and I would like to correct this poor excuse of a Cubs fan....the last time I checked co-rookie of the year meant two people share the award....that would not be the case in this situation. Jerome Walton won rookie of the year outright with Dwight Smith finishing in second.....the Cubs had a one - two finish in 89 not co rookie of the years......following this statment is a website one can check all previous rookies of the year

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/awards/pastresults/rookie

Buck :gulp:

MRKARNO
03-27-2004, 09:23 PM
Hangar, how do you remember conversations like that so well? I guess it doesnt really matter, but thanks for bringing us these incredibly amusing conversations and for defending the Sox in their own city.

SEALgep
03-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Hey Hangar18, I know we're smarter and all, but I must say it was pretty impressive you remembered the conversation in that detail. I would have been, so this happened and then like he said, I think, no wait this is how it went down. Lol. Good story though, I was laughing. If you need a wing man for the Northsider and his buddies, let me know. :gulp:

voodoochile
03-27-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
That came about a week too late.

Kind of caught me off guard actually. He hasn't been that bad and has (up to this point) stuck to discussing baseball. Then he decided to go after Hangar. Not going to happen...

Daver
03-27-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Kind of caught me off guard actually. He hasn't been that bad and has (up to this point) stuck to discussing baseball. Then he decided to go after Hangar. Not going to happen...

Voodoo was at least nice about it,I am a lot less nice when I arrowass someone.

delben91
03-27-2004, 10:54 PM

I think perhaps "arrowass" needs to go in the WSI dictionary :D:

Daver
03-27-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by delben91
I think perhaps "arrowass" needs to go in the WSI dictionary :D:

Ssshhhh!

I don't want to tip our hand.

:)

JohnJeter
03-28-2004, 02:12 AM

Heavens, what did you read? Are you so bent on your agenda that "Sox fans are geniuses, Cub fans are morons" that you won't give any credit to knowledgeable Cub fans?

I'm a Sox fan and have "the usual" irritation with "CubNation", but there are a bunch of guys on that site that know their stuff cold about the Cubs. . .and are easily as bitter-funny and knowledgeable as some of the posters here. What did you glance at?

Are you so biased that you just rule everything out that doesn't agree with your Sox/Cub view? Is there any objectivity?

Having said that, I am aware that the charter of this board is "totally biased", and I apologize to the mods for not staying in line.

StillMissOzzie
03-28-2004, 02:12 AM

* twang * THOOOP!

Hangar, keep on fighting the good fight!

SMO

JohnBasedowYoda
03-28-2004, 04:10 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hangar18

Buy that man a drink ladies and gents

buy me one too.

hsnterprize
03-28-2004, 09:49 AM
I had a brief exchange with someone who seems to like the Cubs, if not be a fan of the team. My wife and I went shopping at a store near the Chicago Ridge Mall. Near our check out line, I saw a bunch of Cubs' bottle openers. These things were an interesting novelty...when you open a bottle with this thing, a chip activates Chip...as in Chip Caray. A Chip Caray home-run call followed repeated yells of "Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!"

I asked the clerk if there were any White Sox bottle openers I emphasized the "White Sox" part to get her attention. She chuckled, and said something to the effect of why I wasn't part of the Cubbie bandwagon. I told her that the Sox will surprize people because the Cubs are getting all the hype. I don't remember any specific lines in our talk, but she seemed like someone who was jumping on the Cubs' bandwagon since they wom their division last year.

Another such exchange happened when I was at the bank yesterday. I commented on the weather getting better, and how baseball season would start soon. I think she said something about the Cubs, and I then came back with White Sox talk. I specifically told her to not be surprized when the Sox play better than expected since the Cubs were getting all the attention. She came back with a line saying the Cubs would win, and the Sox had a bunch of old players. I didn't know the average ages of the Cubs players vs. Sox players, but after she counted my money, I told her, "The Sox have young players like Aaron Rowand, Willie Harris, Mark Buehrle, and Joe Crede. Look at players like Sosa, and Alou, and Grudzielanek, and others who made the Cubs winners last year other than the pitchers." She didn't have a comeback, other than to say she's been a Cubs fan since she was a kid, and her uncle turned her on to the Cubs.

Even my father-in-law and I had a run in about the Cubs and Sox. His son, who is living downstate, is a Sox fan. Those 2 had debates about the Cubs/Sox, so I knew what to expect when I married his daughter. BTW...she's a Sox fan too, although she did root for the Cubs in the playoffs saying she "could not NOT support a Chicago team in the playoffs." She rubbed it in my face when the Cubs were winning games, but when the Marlins won that series, I had the obvious last laugh. Anyway, we were at his house eating dinner when baseball came up. The F-I-L said something to the effect that Sox fans were fickle since U.S. Cellular Field wasn't sold out all the time. I quickly told him that if it weren't for the tourists, out-of-towners, and people who only went to Wrigley Field to get blitzed in area bars, Wrigley Field would be just as empty...if not emptier. He had NO response. Die hard Cubs fans like him were more the exception rather than the rule when it came to attending games at Wrigley, and he knows it...at least he knows after I told him.

white sox bill
03-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Gosh, with Northside Fan gone, how are Hanger and him going to hook up?

When I meet a flub fan who "thinks" they know the game, I always say "I agree with what Lee Elia said". This usually baffles them (95%) of them, end of convo. or if they smile and respond, we will have some banter..

Having a conversation with a chubs fan is like having a conversation with a rank and file Iraqi about world politics when Sadaam ruled.

The name 5 players or the starting 3rd baseman is good, then when they can't do it, you gnash their neck like a vampire and the convo is over

leftbehindbuck
03-28-2004, 10:39 AM
Whitesox Bill.....come on now....those comments are true to the majority but harsh to the few.....being a Cubs fan their is nothing that drives me nuttier than fellow Cubs fans....I guess that is the reason I come to this board to get out my baseball thoughts....however not every cubs fan is a moron.....i became a Cubs fan in the magical year of 1989 when I was 6 ever since it has been a very poor roller coast rides with many short buildups and alot of drops....but case and point is I can admit the Cubs are not the best team in baseball....hell I think the cards are a little bit scarry this year not to mention the astros.....anyways the point is not all cub fans are complete idiots.....i'm not.....
Buck :gulp:

Hangar18
03-28-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by JohnJeter
Heavens, what did you read? Are you so bent on your agenda that "Sox fans are geniuses, Cub fans are morons" that you won't give any credit to knowledgeable Cub fans?

I'm a Sox fan and have "the usual" irritation with "CubNation", but there are a bunch of guys on that site that know their stuff cold about the Cubs. . .and are easily as bitter-funny and knowledgeable as some of the posters here. What did you glance at?

Are you so biased that you just rule everything out that doesn't agree with your Sox/Cub view? Is there any objectivity?

Im always the first to give a cub fan props, but its been few and far between. My friend Dave is a Cub fan first, but has become a Sox Fan second. Last season proved he wont ever drop the cubs, and the guy does know his baseball and I give him credit. but he really likes the SOX and I pat hm on the back for it. I told him the other 98% makes me dislike that team ............
with a passion. and I went to a thread where they were discussing who they WOULDNT trade, acquiring a pitcher. the thread was fairly boring I guess, and I learned nothing all that new. Of course, that was one thread (2004) I left.
Yes, there is objectivity. ask my friend, he'll tell you

Iwritecode
03-29-2004, 12:12 PM

Hangar, do you remember the friend that I brought to Soxfest (the one wearing the bears jersey)? I don't think you ever really sat down and talked with him. You might be surprised. He is one of the 2-3% of Cubs fans that actually knows the game and can answer questions like "Who was the starting third basemen last year" or "when was the last time the Cubs were in the WS". I know this because he hates the bandwagon fans as well. He's always asking them questions they can't answer and then laughing at them. Hell, he can even tell you who played third base with Tinker, Evans and Chance. A very obscure trivia question.

We plan on being at the Sox/Twins game on May 15 to use the free tickets we got from Soxfest. Maybe we can meet up with you there and you can test his knowledge. :cool: