PDA

View Full Version : Backup CF

Mohoney
03-26-2004, 11:57 PM
With Opening day creeping up fast, who will win the job?

I assume Gload will make the team as a 1B/LF/RF, but who's backing up Rowand?

voodoochile
03-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Mohoney
With Opening day creeping up fast, who will win the job?

I assume Gload will make the team as a 1B/LF/RF, but who's backing up Rowand?

Man, it must have sucked to have to actually type that question.

Harris will spell him in a pinch and Rowand will probably be on a pretty short leash. I mean if he cannot produce offensively then it will be better to have Harris out there for his speed both defensively (especially between Maggs and Lee) and offensively where his occasional bunt single will be the same thing as a screamer down the LF line for all practical purposes...

Corlose 15
03-27-2004, 12:24 AM
I'm not really worried about Rowand producing this year, after he got healthy last year he was hitting well before the Sox went and got Everett. I don't know why people are so opposed to giving him a chance, I'd much rather have him out there than Harris.

SEALgep
03-27-2004, 02:20 AM
Rowand should be fine playing the majority of the time, with Willie occasionally playing a game or two there. However, Gload played center during ST and pretty well from what I've gathered. He should be a good 4th all around outfielder.

Veeky
03-27-2004, 03:33 AM
However, Gload played center during ST and pretty well

Mediocre arm, bad range and no experience = "pretty well"?

Then again, after watching Armando Roider and Hot Carl stubble around last season, I suppose Gload will be tolerable in center, provided he brings his bat against RHP big-time.

Rowand will be ok. Mediocre range, but above average arm (did Randar actually hint Rowand has a weak arm?), huscle. Above average speed on the pads. Has always hit lefties. Lately has been good against righties as well; should he struggle against them, one of Gload/Reed/Borchard/Harris would have to fill in.

We'll be ok in CF, I am much more worried about 2B.

Daver
03-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Veeky
Mediocre arm, bad range and no experience = "pretty well"?

Then again, after watching Armando Roider and Hot Carl stubble around last season, I suppose Gload will be tolerable in center, provided he brings his bat against RHP big-time.

Rowand will be ok. Mediocre range, but above average arm (did Randar actually hint Rowand has a weak arm?),

No,Randar was pointing out the fact that he never positions himself properly to make a throw,which basicy negates the fact that he has a decent arm.

Brian26
03-27-2004, 11:23 AM
99% sure Sweet Willie will be the backup centerfielder, while Gload will play the corners.

voodoochile
03-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Daver
No,Randar was pointing out the fact that he never positions himself properly to make a throw,which basicy negates the fact that he has a decent arm.

His judgement is often questionable too. You can't throw everybody out at home and there are times it is better not to try.

Mickster
03-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Ironically, Sox just traded Ginter for Timo Perez to back up all OF positions....

SEALgep
03-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Ironically, Sox just traded Ginter for Timo Perez to back up all OF positions.... That settles that then. :smile:

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-27-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Ironically, Sox just traded Ginter for Timo Perez to back up all OF positions....

kw must read the forums now. :smile: if thats the case, lets get another starter

Veeky
03-27-2004, 03:26 PM

His judgement is often questionable too. You can't throw everybody out at home and there are times it is better not to try

Let's define our terms. If decent arm means average for a starting ML center-fielder, then I don't agree -- it's definately above average for the position (it doesn't help that outside of Edmonds, Beltran, Jones, Cameron and a few others, not many possess a strong arm, quick release or flawless set-up mechanics, let alone all three).

In fact, the way SuperMagglio has been throwing (or fielding or base-running for that matter) the last couple of seasons, I would say Aaron has the best throwing arm on this Sox team.

When I saw the hyped QB Borchard last two seasons, surpringly he didn't throw better -- his reads, set-ups and velocity were even worse. Those who've watched Aaron on regular basis in AA (I believe Rex Hudler is one of your regulars here) when he was getting used to the position, swear that Aaron came out of nowhere and always threw the ball better than the much-hailed JoBo. Go figure.

For someone who drifts with the ball as much, Rowand's range and reads are far from terrible -- at least average last two seasons. Hell, even his RF/ZR haven't always been in the bottom 1/3, wink-wink. Aaron busts his ass to make up for some mistakes and his throws are IMO above average, an over-aggressive rookie blunder here and there notwithstanding.

Again, we will be fine in CF. Aaron will be fine.

maurice
03-27-2004, 06:31 PM
When I saw the hyped QB Borchard last two seasons, surpringly he didn't throw better -- his reads, set-ups and velocity were even worse.

I agree that Borchard's reads and set ups weren't top notch, but he has an absolute cannon. On pure arm strength alone, he's head and shoulders over any OF on the 25-man roster and may be tops in the entire organization.

I agree with your general point that the average MLB CF sucks defensively. Rowand should be fine or better as (at least) a half-season stop-gap.

Veeky
03-29-2004, 04:08 PM
I agree that Borchard's reads and set ups weren't top notch

Weren't top-noth is damn right -- they were awful. Very akward, too slow loading up.

I remember him blowing two plays in a game when runners tagged up from 2nd on a medium-depth FO to CF. Even Willie Harris managed to record an assist on a similar play on a 1 hopper. whereas Joe airmailed it.

voodoochile
03-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Weren't top-noth is damn right -- they were awful. Very akward, too slow loading up.

I remember him blowing two plays in a game when runners tagged up from 2nd on a medium-depth FO to CF. Even Willie Harris managed to record an assist on a similar play on a 1 hopper. whereas Joe airmailed it.

Was that this year? I am curious because they were talking about his delivery being long because of his football training - which requires the longer windup. They were working with him on shortening his delivery. I am just curious when you saw this.

Veeky
03-29-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Was that this year? I am curious because they were talking about his delivery being long because of his football training - which requires the longer windup. They were working with him on shortening his delivery. I am just curious when you saw this.

voodoochile
03-29-2004, 04:57 PM

Hopefully he has improved since then. I do remember them talking about exactly what you were talking about. When did we draft him, 01? 02?

Veeky
03-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Hopefully he has improved since then. I do remember them talking about exactly what you were talking about. When did we draft him, 01? 02?