PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Wright will be the 5th starter


MRKARNO
03-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Right-hander Dan Wright pitched six solid innings and earned the No. 5 spot in Chicago's starting rotation as the White Sox beat the Colorado Rockies 5-4 on Friday.

Wright was told when he finished his stint he will be Chicago's fifth starter.

"It was their decision," Wright said. "I'm not too surprised. I felt I threw pretty well this spring."

Wright (2-0) allowed seven hits and two runs with one walk and two strikeouts. He has a 2.87 ERA this spring.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240326127

This is a good decision. He has certainly earned the role.

ode to veeck
03-26-2004, 06:43 PM
Heaven help us ...

MRKARNO
03-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Heaven help us ...

Danny Wright has always had the stuff, it was always an issue of putting it together. Let's see if he can do it this year.

ChiSox7
03-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Danny Wright has always had the stuff, it was always an issue of putting it together. Let's see if he can do it this year.

Exactly. Jon and Danny's problem was that they were always headcases under Jerry M. Maybe with a guy like Ozzie, they can be agressive and live up to their ability.

Baby Fisk
03-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
Heaven help us ...

You beat me to it Veeck. Let me just add:

...and may God have mercy on our souls. :D:

Mickster
03-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Give me Danny Wright of 2002 any day. 14 wins our of the 5 spot is all that you can ask for....

ChiSox14305635
03-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Give me Danny Wright of 2002 any day. 14 wins our of the 5 spot is all that you can ask for....


And I also think that was the same year that the Sox switched pitching coaches during mid-season from the horrible Nardi Contreras to the better Don Cooper. Maybe a change of personnel is all these guys needed. And one more thing: During the Sox-Giants ST game broadcast 2 wks ago, KW said while Wright lost a couple of miles on his fastball, that he was also locating his pitches alot better. I'll take 91-92 on the gun if it means he's throwing consistent strikes and getting people out.

Foulke You
03-26-2004, 07:49 PM
I am cautiously optimistic about Wright. He has thrown the ball well this Spring but I've never been sold on this guy's ability to be a good pitcher at the MLB level. I would keep a very short leash on Wright while at the same time making sure Rauch and Cotts are ready to go in case they need to be called up in May to replace an ineffective Wright. We shall see. Nobody stepped up this Spring to take that final spot so I guess they made the right decision. Of course, the right decision would have been to find an adequate veteran replacement for Bartolo but that is the topic for another thread...

RedPinStripes
03-26-2004, 08:07 PM
If Wright just earned the 5 spot, why in the hell was the 4 spot just given and not earned to a guy who was average at best in the bullpen? Wright's been here 4 years and he has to earn it, but one of KW's average bullpen pitchers just get the role.

Just remember everyone...............I heard Eddie Einhorn on the score the other day and he insists that Sox fans are not upset that they dont spend money.

There's a reason why they took the microphone away from this tool in the 80's.

ChiSox14305635
03-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
If Wright just earned the 5 spot, why in the hell was the 4 spot just given and not earned to a guy who was average at best in the bullpen? Wright's been here 4 years and he has to earn it, but one of KW's average bullpen pitchers just get the role.

Just remember everyone...............I heard Eddie Einhorn on the score the other day and he insists that Sox fans are not upset that they dont spend money.

There's a reason why they took the microphone away from this tool in the 80's.


I listened to that interview, and I don't know if that is the way he talks, but Einhorn sounded a bit on the tipsy side.

RedPinStripes
03-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
I listened to that interview, and I don't know if that is the way he talks, but Einhorn sounded a bit on the tipsy side.

He's never had a radio voice, but i know he's been through some serious sickness over the years. Might have taken a toll on him. I dont remember him sounding like that years ago.

SEALgep
03-26-2004, 08:42 PM
I hope people here don't forget that Wright wasn't 100% last season. He had a knee issue that was no doubtedly affecting his delivery. Now he's healthy, and he appears to be ready to pitch like his previous form. I hope he is a nice surprise for us this season. :smile:

munchman33
03-26-2004, 09:27 PM
Mark my words....

Danny Wright will be this year's pleasant surprise from the starting rotation.

CubKilla
03-26-2004, 09:36 PM
This team is in trouble..... as if I didn't know that in about November of '03.

Mohoney
03-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox7
Exactly. Jon and Danny's problem was that they were always headcases under Jerry M. Maybe with a guy like Ozzie, they can be agressive and live up to their ability.

Their problem was that they DIDN'T THROW STRIKES!

Notice the relationship between BBs issued and ERA. These two aren't walking anybody. That's why the ERAs are tidy.

ChiSox7
03-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Mohoney
Their problem was that they DIDN'T THROW STRIKES!

Notice the relationship between BBs issued and ERA. These two aren't walking anybody. That's why the ERAs are tidy.

Exactly. Like I said. They are headcases. They try to nibble too much. THey take outs off and walk people, and that is their trouble

owensmouth
03-27-2004, 12:15 AM
Garland number three and Wright number five I guess I can live with. It's Shoeneweis at number four that has me most worried. The main reason he's number four is because Buehrle's number one and they're both lefties. I hope that I'm wrong, but I still question whether Shoeneweis can get right handed batters out.

StillMissOzzie
03-27-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by munchman33
Mark my words....

Danny Wright will be this year's pleasant surprise from the starting rotation.

After the 5-spot good for all of TWO victories (I think) in 2003, this will not be a huge accomplishment. But, he has earned the spot, so let's hope for the best.

SMO
:gulp:

Jeremy
03-27-2004, 02:53 AM
we are gonna see some good stuff from our starting pitching. I don't want to be too optimistic, but yes we WILL win the central. I believe the goat of the rotation will be Schoeneweis, but expect a good season from Buerhle, Loaiza, Garland, and Wright in the 5th spot. I'm thinking Koch will improve (its hard not too), Marte will be solid as always, Pollitte will be solid. Takatsu won't be dominating but he will be solid. Wunsch and Ginter will help out when needed.

I just don't see how we can't be successful.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-27-2004, 02:58 AM
kelly is the man...i wish i could go party with him. he looks like a party animal

soxfan26
03-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Jeremy
we are gonna see some good stuff from our starting pitching. I don't want to be too optimistic, but yes we WILL win the central. I believe the goat of the rotation will be Schoeneweis, but expect a good season from Buerhle, Loaiza, Garland, and Wright in the 5th spot. I'm thinking Koch will improve (its hard not too), Marte will be solid as always, Pollitte will be solid. Takatsu won't be dominating but he will be solid. Wunsch and Ginter will help out when needed.

I just don't see how we can't be successful.

I don't know where to begin. I can appreciate your optimism but you are being too optimistic. The Sox are definitely not a lock to win the division. Every guy in the starting rotation has question marks. Can Buehrle avoid a prolonged slump and reverse the trend of his climbing ERA? Can Loaiza avoid being a 1-year wonder? Can Garland & Wright get their heads right and throw strikes consistently? Can Schoenweiss keep an ERA under 5?

Doesn't look like a division winner to me...

Jeremy
03-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by soxfan26

Doesn't look like a division winner to me...

you're right, it shouldn't be. but this is the AL central we are talking about. haha