PDA

View Full Version : AP Report: Brewers Payroll to be 27 Million for 2004

Hangar18
03-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Im looking for the link. That is BRUTAL.
Wilkes and I need to step up our Campaign for Commissioner.
Fast

Tekijawa
03-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Can I be Assistant to the Traveling Secretary?

joecrede
03-26-2004, 03:48 PM
The Brewers minor league system was rated #1 by Baseball America. Two years from now they might very well be the Cubs best competition in that division.

Hangar18
03-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
The Brewers minor league system was rated #1 by Baseball America. Two years from now they might very well be the Cubs best competition in that division.

I Seriously Doubt That

Baby Fisk
03-26-2004, 03:54 PM
If the folks up there weren't distracted by the Courageous Brett Favre and his band of Heroic Cheeseheads, there would be more of an uproar. I think people in Milwaukee are just happy to have a team and don't get all uppity about it SUCKING HUGE.

At these dollar amounts, hell they could sign me as a RHP. Give me 3 minutes and I can re-learn the knuckleball. I'll eat innings and drink Pabst Blue Ribbon all summer...

MRKARNO
03-26-2004, 03:55 PM
They'll be competitive for a period of 2-3 years and then will trade everyone away.

joecrede
03-26-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I Seriously Doubt That

Prince Fielder, Rickey Weeks, J.J. Hardy will form an excellent nucleus. Top-to-bottom, the Brewers are in a much better position to win a division title in the next 5 years than say the Cardinals are.

jabrch
03-26-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
If the folks up there weren't distracted by the Courageous Brett Favre and his band of Heroic Cheeseheads, there would be more of an uproar. I think people in Milwaukee are just happy to have a team and don't get all uppity about it SUCKING HUGE.

At these dollar amounts, hell they could sign me as a RHP. Give me 3 minutes and I can re-learn the knuckleball. I'll eat innings and drink Pabst Blue Ribbon all summer...

:XL
"Did someone say eat and drink all summer?"

joecrede
03-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
They'll be competitive for a period of 2-3 years and then will trade everyone away.

If that happens, who is to say they won't trade "everyone" for a better "everyone"?

CubKilla
03-26-2004, 05:15 PM
:reinsy

"A payroll of $27 million with a slew of young and unproven minor league talent is what I strive for on a day-in, day-out basis."

MarqSox
03-26-2004, 05:41 PM

When you haven't had a .500 record in 11 seasons, it's tough to really care much. People here would fall all over themselves for a winning Brewers team, but it's not fair to expect them to get excited about yet another last place finish.

Kittle
03-26-2004, 05:50 PM
Prince Fielder, Rickey Weeks, J.J. Hardy will form an excellent nucleus. Top-to-bottom, the Brewers are in a much better position to win a division title in the next 5 years than say the Cardinals are.

Oh, really? What makes you think that the Cards, who routinely spend on free agents and can support a payroll of $80 million+, will be less competitive the Brewers, who can't afford to spend ANY money and free agents avoid like the plague?

joecrede
03-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Kittle
Oh, really? What makes you think that the Cards, who routinely spend on free agents and can support a payroll of $80 million+, will be less competitive the Brewers, who can't afford to spend ANY money and free agents avoid like the plague?

Simple, unless the Cardinals do something to replenish their farm system soon they will have more holes to fill than money to fill them with.

nasox
03-27-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
When you haven't had a .500 record in 11 seasons, it's tough to really care much. People here would fall all over themselves for a winning Brewers team, but it's not fair to expect them to get excited about yet another last place finish.

I bet a lot of teams have had no .500 record in 11 seasons. Going 81-81 isn' that common. :D:

stupid stupid stupid stupid joke

JohnBasedowYoda
03-27-2004, 01:03 AM

it's true man i go to school in milwaukee and all they do is talk packers packers bucks packers badgers packers brewers. Whenever i ask any of my friends up here i usually get the response "i don't like baseball" or "it's not a real sport like football." This proves that cheeseheads are great fairweather fans too. in the 80's the brewers were the talk of the town because they were good and the pack was not. Now that the situation is reversed they practically ignore the brewers. This shows that we are better sports fans because we always root for out teams (teams that have been doing bad since...say 1917, or 1985 at the latest (bears)). i'm sorry if i'm rabmling...i've been drinking

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 01:08 PM

Sure, those guys are going to be good, but to be Championship Caliber, you need:
1) to have about 8 or 9 Good Solid, HomeGrown position players.
2)Sprinkle in role players you can pick up here and there, and make sure theyre GOOD, your scouts will have to evaluate well.
3)RETAIN/SIGN all of your SOLID/HOMEGROWN players to longterm deals so that you WONT have to do too much of Choice#4
4)MORE IMPORTANTLY, a FEW KEY FREE AGENTS
that can get you over the top. Thats how you get to a World Series. SPEND $$$$$$ and do it wisely
4A) This Choice is Very Rare, but relates to teams Simply GIVING their GOOD CORE PLAYERS to you, for little or Nothing in return.
This is very rare because Noone just lets Good Players Go for nothing. It could happen, but I wouldnt wait around for this to happen

I see the Brewers "Might" have some of the good solid homegrown players. Thats a start. But that only satisfies
Choice #1. What about the other 3 choices? The Brewers will NOT SPEND THE MONEY to keep those guys, so they'll STOP at #2. THey'll hope for Lady Luck to help out with CHoice #3 and #4.
The WHiteSOX if anyone has noticed, are VERY GOOD with #1 AND #2. THe problem for them is once some of their guys Get Really Good, THEY DONT KEEP THEM, and end up playing catchup and back to square #1 so to speak. We know they never get to Choice #4, because they wont spend the Money to KEEP their players, much less go out and SIGN OTHERS to fill in key Holes. Thats why we havnt been to the World Series since 1959.
The Cubs have decided to Theyre not good at CHoice #1, and have taken advantage of Choice 4A) like Criminals. Theyre the Guy that takes advantage of The New Gas Station Grand Opening Offer of FREEGAS and show up in a TankerTruck. Theyve taken advantage of 4A and have used choice #4 to Field a squad this year