PDA

View Full Version : What Positions Can Sweeney Play?

Happy Felsch Fan
03-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Does anybody know if Sweeney is adaquate in CF? If not then why not teach him 1B as he is only 19 and has the size, 6'4". We could then move Paulie.

SEALgep
03-26-2004, 12:43 PM
We'd probably be better off moving him to left and moving Lee to first. We are at least a season away from something like that though, assuming it could even happen.

Daver
03-26-2004, 02:46 PM
The way the Sox bullpen is shaping up they need him to pitch.

Chisoxfn
03-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Well first off, you never move a guy to another position based on whose in the majors right now. At least not when a player is still a few years off.

But their are 3 options for him, RF, LF and 1st. I think in the end, assuming Anderson and Reed come through, plus you have Lee and Magglio, that Sweeney will play left, but he's capable of being good at everyone of those spots.

Right now he's just got to keep getting better and hopefully he takes this successful spring, but also looks makes sure he learns from it as well.

He's getting a lot of hype and he's a hell of a talent, but he can't let stuff like that get to his head, because a little success in spring, doesn't mean he's ready for the show and it doesn't mean he can start slacking off.

I doubt he will, seems to have a good mental perspective of things.

Chisoxfn
03-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Daver

Dave, the Sox could always bring back Jason Dellaero :D:

chisox56
03-26-2004, 05:44 PM
I read sweeney used to be a pitcher so that isn't a bad idea.

ChiSox14305635
03-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Happy Felsch Fan
Does anybody know if Sweeney is adaquate in CF? If not then why not teach him 1B as he is only 19 and has the size, 6'4". We could then move Paulie.

If I'm not mistaken, I read when they drafted him, as well as playing the outfield and pitching, he also played 1st base in HS.

Daver
03-26-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
If I'm not mistaken, I read when they drafted him, as well as playing the outfield and pitching, he also played 1st base in HS.

He played a limited amount at first base,he was used mostly as an outfielder,as well as a releif pitcher,on the mound he can bring it,but lacks both finnesse and control.

Had he not been drafted by the Sox as an outfielder I would not have been surprised if another team selected him as a pitcher in a later round.

SEALgep
03-26-2004, 07:44 PM
He played a limited amount at first base,he was used mostly as an outfielder,as well as a releif pitcher,on the mound he can bring it,but lacks both finnesse and control.

Had he not been drafted by the Sox as an outfielder I would not have been surprised if another team selected him as a pitcher in a later round. So far it looks like we made the right call.

TDog
03-26-2004, 10:07 PM

Had he not been drafted by the Sox as an outfielder I would not have been surprised if another team selected him as a pitcher in a later round.

LaMarr Hoyt was scouted by five teams who were prepared to draft him at five positions. He knew he was drafted by the Yankees when he was told he was selected as a pitcher. And, of course, Bobby Thigpen was a DH at Mississippi State and had an awesome summer playing first base and the outfield on the Kenai Penninsula Oilers in Alaska. Even Dave Winfield and Ted Williams were pitchers at one time.

With a couple of exceptions, such as Babe Ruth and Pete Rose, who should never be mentioned in the same breath or be honored in the same building, the baseball players who demonstrate versatile skills are those who can't play one position tremendously well.

Daver
03-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by TDog
LaMarr Hoyt was scouted by five teams who were prepared to draft him at five positions. He knew he was drafted by the Yankees when he was told he was selected as a pitcher. And, of course, Bobby Thigpen was a DH at Mississippi State and had an awesome summer playing first base and the outfield on the Kenai Penninsula Oilers in Alaska. Even Dave Winfield and Ted Williams were pitchers at one time.

With a couple of exceptions, such as Babe Ruth and Pete Rose, who should never be mentioned in the same breath or be honored in the same building, the baseball players who demonstrate versatile skills are those who can't play one position tremendously well.

Sweeney was drafted in the second round because of his bat,and was announced as an outfeilder to keep his signing bonus low,pitchers command more money.

I can see him being moved to first base.

Chisoxfn
03-27-2004, 08:29 PM
Sweeney was drafted in the second round because of his bat,and was announced as an outfeilder to keep his signing bonus low,pitchers command more money.

I can see him being moved to first base.

Gotta disagree with you Daver. He dropped because it was widely thought of that he was demanding big time bucks. I think some felt he was very pleased and was either going to get big money or go to Arizona (I Think he was one of the many players this past draft that Arizona had landed).

I think if he was drafted as a pitcher, he would of been more likely a 4th to 5th round pick, but I know some scouting services felt he could of went in the 2nd as a pitcher.

voodoochile
03-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Gotta disagree with you Daver. He dropped because it was widely thought of that he was demanding big time bucks. I think some felt he was very pleased and was either going to get big money or go to Arizona (I Think he was one of the many players this past draft that Arizona had landed).

I think if he was drafted as a pitcher, he would of been more likely a 4th to 5th round pick, but I know some scouting services felt he could of went in the 2nd as a pitcher.

According to that article a few days ago, Sweeney dropped because he had a poor workout at the draft tryouts. They said it was because his season hadn't started yet, so unlike the other players he hadn't found his groove yet.

Daver
03-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Sweeney was not committed to go to college,though he had offers.

He dropped because being out of Iowa the scouts could not see him play before the draft,and no one was going to draft him in the first round off of notes a year old.All top round picks expect big money,but the agents also know that MLB has put a cieling on signing bonuses,I think you'll see a trend in the next few years of top draft picks signing major league contracts in lieu of a signing bonus,becuase of that cieling.

SEALgep
03-27-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm just glad we got him in the second round.