PDA

View Full Version : Your greatest Sox Moment?

BeerHandle
03-26-2004, 08:34 AM
What is your greatest Sox moment?

Mine was Carlos Lee' hitting a grand slam against the Cubs in the 10th inning (2001) to win the game. The park exploded. It was electric.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040325&content_id=669147&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

chisoxjk
03-26-2004, 08:58 AM
I've got 2.

Growing up, it was definitely being at the game where they clinched the division in '83.

More recently, the comeback game against the Flubs and Kerry Wood a couple of seasons ago. By far the loudest and most electric game I have gone to at new Comiskey.

Brian26
03-26-2004, 09:01 AM
July 31, 1991. Ventura's grandslam off Gossage and Texas to win the game after trailing 8-6. Hawk went nuts and New Comiskey felt like the Sox had just won the World Series. It capped off one of the greatest months by a Sox player ever - I think that was Ventura's 14th homer in the month of July. The Sox were only a game or two behind the Twins at that point, and they looked like they had a shot at winning the division. Frank lifted Robin up on his shoulder at the plate...and that may have been the night Hawk coined the name "Big Hurt" for Frank.

sas1974
03-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle

Mine was Carlos Lee' hitting a grand slam against the Cubs in the 10th inning (2001) to win the game. The park exploded. It was electric.

As much as I wish it was something post season related, I have to agree that this was my fav, along w/ The Comeback vs. the cubs. All of those stupid cub's fans grinning, gloating and dancing in our house. Then...POOF! They gone!

cheeses_h_rice
03-26-2004, 09:32 AM

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040325&content_id=669147&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

I attended no memorable games at Old Comiskey, that I know of, and wasn't really into the Sox until '94/'95 or so, so I too would rank Carlos's granny -- one that ended a game that started horribly, if you'll remember (David Wells absolutely SUCKING in the first inning) -- up there.

I would also rank the 14 or 15-inning Flubs/Sox game at Comiskey from 2000, when the Sox finally won it on a sac fly (I believe it was Ray-Ray who scored). Sham-ME* hit a HUGE zinger off Keith Foulke with 2 outs in the 9th to tie it, after striking out 4 times earlier that night.

A 6-0 complete game shutout by Cal Eldred against the Indians in 2000 was really memorable, too.

Jose's Sham-ME* imitation in 2001 or 02 at Wrigley was classic, too.

Tekijawa
03-26-2004, 09:42 AM
Leaving My Wedding Oct. 23rd, 2004 early to catch the First game of the WhiteSox v. Phillies World Series

CubKilla
03-26-2004, 10:42 AM
The above mentioned White Sox/Cubs games were sweet.

I'd also add Bo Jackson's HR against Seattle during the White Sox' clincher in '93 to this list.

Also, the White Sox come from behind victory in 2000 against the NYY after Carlos Lee's 9th inning lead-off solo HR, late at night, during a rain-delayed game. Jose Valentin hit the game-winning RBI for the 4-3 White Sox win and, what was left of the fans, made the ballpark sound like it was filled to capacity..... especially those Sox fans that went right up to the NYY fans and shoved the smugness during the game right back in their face.

TornLabrum
03-26-2004, 10:46 AM
I've described it so many times here I won't again. Let's just say the June 1957 game where Larry Doby took on Art Ditmar of the Yankees, and Big Moose Walt Dropo took on Enos Slaughter. Second game I ever went to.

KingXerxes
03-26-2004, 10:52 AM
June 14, 1970. A doubleheader against the Washington Senators which also happened to be the first White Sox games I ever attended. My dad, my brother and my friend Jim. They lost both games but I will never forget it.

sas1974
03-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Also, the White Sox come from behind victory in 2000 against the NYY after Carlos Lee's 9th inning lead-off solo HR, late at night, during a rain-delayed game. Jose Valentin hit the game-winning RBI for the 4-3 White Sox win and, what was left of the fans, made the ballpark sound like it was filled to capacity..... especially those Sox fans that went right up to the NYY fans and shoved the smugness during the game right back in their face.

Ooh. I forgot about that one. I was working down in Tampa and I flew in for that game. I came straight from the air port w/ my wheelie bag and I check my bags at the coat check on the main concourse(can't do that anymore after 9-11). I looked like an ass, but I didn't care. That was a great game!

That also reminds me...the first game back after 9-11. That was pretty incredible. We lost, but the amount of emotion at that game was INTENSE. I have NEVER experienced anything like that before.

Iwritecode
03-26-2004, 11:09 AM
The second game of the Cubs/Sox series last year at USCF. It was a back and forth game the whole way through and the place was rockin.

The highlights I remember best are:

Rowand hitting a homerun over the wall in left to take the lead in the middle innings.

Carlos Lee making an outstanding catch at the wall in left/center.

The chanting of “Paulie! Paulie!” when Konerko stepped to the plate and then proceded to make an out.

The taunting by Cubs fans because of the “Paulie” chant.

Jiminez somehow ending up playing third base in the 9th inning because Manuel is an idot.

Dusty Baker intentionally walking Tony G (***?) to get to Jiminez who singled up the middle to drive in the winning run!!!

Iwritecode
03-26-2004, 11:14 AM
One more…

Hearing updates over the intercom at Wal-Mart every 20 minutes or so during game 6 of the NLCS last year. Well, up until right around 9:30. Then I didn’t hear anymore updates. I found out why when I got to my car.

:)

To paraphrase PHG, a Sox win is great but we’ll take a Cubs loss in a pinch…

MRKARNO
03-26-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
The second game of the Cubs/Sox series last year at USCF. It was a back and forth game the whole way through and the place was rockin.

The highlights I remember best are:

Rowand hitting a homerun over the wall in left to take the lead in the middle innings.

Carlos Lee making an outstanding catch at the wall in left/center.

The chanting of “Paulie! Paulie!” when Konerko stepped to the plate and then proceded to make an out.

The taunting by Cubs fans because of the “Paulie” chant.

Jiminez somehow ending up playing third base in the 9th inning because Manuel is an idot.

Dusty Baker intentionally walking Tony G (***?) to get to Jiminez who singled up the middle to drive in the winning run!!!

I was at this game. What was so special about this game was that it wasn't defined by one moment, but by many moments. Bartolo Colon was pitching HORRIBLY this game. Lots of Corky and Steroids taunting of Sosa. When he got out there was a huge cheer throughout the stadium.

And you can't forget the rain delay. The cubs were up by 2 and they were all cheering when it started to rain. Everyone ran for shelter and the cubs fans were happy, but then the sun came out and all the sox fans were happy and they restarted the game.

It was probably the most fun overall game I've ever attended.

wood28
03-26-2004, 11:24 AM
I have a few;

1) being in the Bat Day crowd of 55,555
2) The above mentioned Robin Ventura Grand Slam
3) Being in the last row of the Upper Deck to watch the Sox clinch in 1993
4) and a sentimental one, being 8 years old and yelling to Melty to hit a homer, and then he did, felt to this 8 year old that he did it for me

Deadguy
03-26-2004, 11:26 AM
The time I hit a go ahead single in a pivotal Little League game for the White Sox, sponsored by Proctor Hospital.

Rocky Soprano
03-26-2004, 11:31 AM
1. Paulie gets hit in the head by Wood. Paulie comes back to hit two homers and Sox come back from big hole to spank the Flubs.
I've never seen the stadium get as loud as it was that day.

2. Jose's walk-off home run in bottom of the ninth, to beat the Flubs last year. The stadium went nuts and it was so awesome to see the Flub fans expressions. The entire crowd was chanting Jose Jose Jose, in the tunnels and it sounded great.

chisoxmike
03-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Yeah, the past two years to victories over the Cubs were great.

My favorite HAS to be the comeback win. I was screaming so loud at home when Konerko hit that home run to put them up 10-8. And last year I was at the Sox/Cubs game when Valentine hit the walk off. The best game I've ever been to.

If you want a game that doesn't involve Sox/Cubs; it would have to be a July 4th night game in 2001 vs. the Twins. The Sox came back and won the game in the 9th against LeTroy Hawkins.

Wanne
03-26-2004, 11:47 AM
I think it was '72...and the Sox were playin' the Yankees a double header. The Sox won the first game...and trailing 4-2 in the 9th of the second game. Dick Allen came off the bench and hit a frickin' screamin' line-drive into a stiff wind off of reliever Sparky Lyle into the left field seats for a 5-4 win. Man that was exciting.

Had alot of memories in the Dick Allen era.

1951Campbell
03-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Last game at Old Comiskey.

First game at New Comiskey.

ChiSox14305635
03-26-2004, 12:49 PM
7/5/84: My first ever baseball game. A 7-6 Sox victory on a walk off homer (that term hadn't been coined yet) by one Carlton Fisk. #72 has been my all-time fav ever since.

The following year a 5-1 Sox victory over the Texas Rangers on a beautiful Sunday afternoon saw not 1, but 2 homers by the aforementioned Fisk. I hated Darrell Evans for getting 3 more homers by the end of the year. And I also hated how in the following years that Pudge would be benched occasionally for Karkovice. But then again, when you're a young fan, you want to see your favorite player in there all the time I guess.

Brian26
03-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
2. Jose's walk-off home run in bottom of the ninth, to beat the Flubs last year. The stadium went nuts and it was so awesome to see the Flub fans expressions. The entire crowd was chanting Jose Jose Jose, in the tunnels and it sounded great.

Yeah, that was my #2 pick after Ventura's 7/31/91 slam. The crowd after that Jose homer last year was electric. The "Jose, Jose, Jose..." went on forever!

Corlose 15
03-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

I would also rank the 14 or 15-inning Flubs/Sox game at Comiskey from 2000, when the Sox finally won it on a sac fly (I believe it was Ray-Ray who scored). Sham-ME* hit a HUGE zinger off Keith Foulke with 2 outs in the 9th to tie it, after striking out 4 times earlier that night.

I think you're combining two games in that 2000 game. In 1999 Carlos Lee hit a sac fly to score Ray Durham in the bottom of the ninth after the flubs botched a DP grounder. I remember after the game some yuppie Cub fan whining that Sox couldn't win without cheating. It was the 4th game in a row the Sox had won and there was a guy walking around outside after game just holding up four fingers. :smile:

2000 was the 14 inning game and in that one I believe Herbert Perry singled in Durham or vice versa. That one is probably my top moment. Sosa was booed mercilessly, struck out 4 times, longest game I saw, two 7th inning stretches, and last and most importantly, the Sox won.

Brian26
03-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Wanne
I think it was '72...and the Sox were playin' the Yankees a double header. The Sox won the first game...and trailing 4-2 in the 9th of the second game. Dick Allen came off the bench and hit a frickin' screamin' line-drive into a stiff wind off of reliever Sparky Lyle into the left field seats for a 5-4 win. Man that was exciting.

Not 100% sure, but this might be on the audio memories section of WSI.

Brian26
03-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Corlose 15
2000 was the 14 inning game and in that one I believe Herbert Perry singled in Durham or vice versa. That one is probably my top moment. Sosa was booed mercilessly, struck out 4 times, longest game I saw, two 7th inning stretches, and last and most importantly, the Sox won.

Exactly. Durham scored Herbert for the win. This is after Sammy hit a homer off Foulke in the 9th to tie it up.

:hawk

"(sigh) We got ourselves a tie ballgame."

uribe151
03-26-2004, 01:24 PM
GREATEST MOMENT.... WHEN SOX ACQUIRED URIBE!!!!!

Paulwny
03-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Don't remember the year, sox vs yanks.
Dale Berra's running blunder, 2 runners 6 ft apart heading for the plate and Fisk receiving the relay throw in time to tag out both runners.
I had never seen a play like this before and doubt I'll ever see it again.

thezeker
03-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Wanne

Oh God! Was that a day. It ranks up there with one of the greatest things I've ever experienced.

I remember there were well over 50,000 people there and they announced that it was the 5th largest crowd in Comiskey Park history.

My Dad & I had to buy standing room tickets and for the first game we sat on the cement that was around the exits in Left Field. I remember getting 6 beers at a time so that we would not miss any of the action.

Allen homered in the first game as the SOX won. He sat out the second game and I remember everyone got mad when Tanner did not pinch hit him in the 8th inning of the second game with a man on base losing 4-2.

There were about 30,000 people left by the 9th inning of the second game. We had snuck into boxes right behind the SOX dugout. Finally 2 men were on and Tanner brought in Allen. People need to remember that Allen was the first true power hitter the SOX had in most of our lifetimes. He was simply adored by the fans and till this day I never saw anyone hit the ball harder.

Lyle made him look bad on the first pitch. Then Allen tore into the next pitch and was into the seats in about 5 seconds. We went wild!!! I remeber just beating on the fans next to me and them beating back on me. We were so happy we could not control ourselves. It was a moment I will never forget.

My Dads is gone now but that memory will live with me forever as will my love for the WHITESOX. It is a family tradition!!!!! :)

ChiSox7
03-26-2004, 01:43 PM
May 13, 2000

Saturday night game vs. the Twins. We were struggling a little bit coming into the game. As usual, the Twins owned us the night before and had worked their way to a 3-2 lead going into the bottom of the ninth, and it was looking to be another dissapointing evening.

With one out, Carlos Lee hit a ball to the left side, and he should have probably been thrown out, but he BUSTED a$$ down the line to get on base. One of my favorite plays from him because of how much he hustled that night. After Greg Norton struck out, Jeff Abbott came to up to face Bob Wells.

Abbott hit a 1-0 pitch over the wall to get a 2-out, 2-run walk off homer to end a bad streak and really get us back on the right track before we tore up Cleve and NYY on the road. For me, beating the Twins has always been so nice, and it was so awesome on that night, because a guy came out of nowhere to be a hero. One of my best memories. I actually think I remember a bit too much about it. haha

blackjack29
03-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Sox vs Oakland in 2000. I forget the specifics, but the sox were down, A's pither commits a balk to advance tying run, and Jose slides in for the winning run with arms outstretched in victory. My favorite moment of the 2000 season.

cheeses_h_rice
03-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by blackjack29
Sox vs Oakland in 2000. I forget the specifics, but the sox were down, A's pither commits a balk to advance tying run, and Jose slides in for the winning run with arms outstretched in victory. My favorite moment of the 2000 season.

EDIT: OK, I totally remember this one wrong.

I was there, and here is what happened:

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/080600/spo_0806000034.shtml

CHICAGO -- Jason Isringhausen balked home the tying run in the ninth inning and Frank Thomas drove in the game winner in the 10th Saturday night as the Chicago White Sox rallied to beat the Oakland Athletics 4-3.
The game snapped a two-game losing streak for the White Sox and preserved their nine-game lead over second-place Cleveland in the AL Central.
With Jose Valentin on first following a single off T.J. Mathews (2-3), Thomas hit the ball into deep left-center. It looked like it might go over the wall, but it dropped just short. Ben Grieve grabbed it and threw hard to cutoff man Miguel Tejada.
Tejada threw a one-hopper to home and Ramon Hernandez grabbed it. But the throw was a little too wide, and Valentin got his hand on the plate before Hernandez could make the turn and tag.
The A's argued, but the call stood and Valentin collapsed in relief on the plate as his teammates piled on top of him.

The place went nuts.

:smile:

SoxxoS
03-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Having tickets behind the Tigers dugout at the Cell the day of the big fight. That was awesome.

Having 2nd row tickets to the Friday game against the Cubs last year when Valentin hit the walk off homer. The best part about it was the people in the first row were Cub fans. That was an unbelieveable feeling/game/moment.

BeerHandle
03-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I was at this game. What was so special about this game was that it wasn't defined by one moment, but by many moments. Bartolo Colon was pitching HORRIBLY this game. Lots of Corky and Steroids taunting of Sosa. When he got out there was a huge cheer throughout the stadium.

And you can't forget the rain delay. The cubs were up by 2 and they were all cheering when it started to rain. Everyone ran for shelter and the cubs fans were happy, but then the sun came out and all the sox fans were happy and they restarted the game.

It was probably the most fun overall game I've ever attended.

The rain delay was great: more food, more beer, then the Sun and a White Sox Winner!

wood28
03-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Here's another one...

watching the Sox get No-Hit by Andy Hawkins of the Yankees and still get the victory.

mikef1331
03-26-2004, 08:01 PM
I've got a few to mention:

1. The last Night Game at "Old" Comiskey. I still have pieces of firework shells from that game.

2. The previously mentioned game where Ventura hit a Grand Slam to win the game. I was in the first row in right field that game and the ball went right over my head. Everyone in the park was going crazy, I can't remember going to a game since where the fans were that excited.

3. The game in 2002 (I think it was against the Twins) when Frank hit the longest HR ever at the Cell.

cwsox
03-26-2004, 08:10 PM
being in the all park for the first game of the 2000 playoffs

the Sox were in the palyoffs and I was there

favorite nongame moment: the overnight in 2003 with my grandson

Railsplitter
03-26-2004, 09:03 PM
Robin Ventura's two out grand slam vs Texas in 1991. I was at the game. From high above the 3rd base line, that one looked at first like it would land in the gap.

MikeW
03-26-2004, 10:31 PM
I have a few but except for the 2000 playoffs most of mine took place in enemy territory at Yankee Stadium.
June,1971 Bat Day. A bunch of my friends were all Yankee fans and of course I was rooting for the Sox. Mike Kekich is throwing a no-hitter and I am dying, 60,000 people are joyous. With one out in the ninth, Mike Andrews hits the foul pole for a home run!
Fast forward June 1993, different friends this time and of course their all Yankee fans. Jim Abbott is throwing a no-hitter and with one out in the ninth Ron Karkovice homers! Even though the Sox lost these games at least I wasn't witness to the ultimate embarrassment of seeing my Sox no-hit.

StillMissOzzie
03-27-2004, 12:32 AM

I screamed my lungs out that night!

Originally posted by Brian26
July 31, 1991. Ventura's grandslam off Gossage and Texas to win the game after trailing 8-6.

I was pleading for just a base hit to send the game into extra innings, but Robin came through with the HR instead!

Originally posted by CubKilla
The above mentioned White Sox/Cubs games were sweet.

I'd also add Bo Jackson's HR against Seattle during the White Sox' clincher in '93 to this list.

Also, the White Sox come from behind victory in 2000 against the NYY after Carlos Lee's 9th inning lead-off solo HR, late at night, during a rain-delayed game. Jose Valentin hit the game-winning RBI for the 4-3 White Sox win and, what was left of the fans, made the ballpark sound like it was filled to capacity.

The Bo Jackson moonshot! I didn't think it was far enough, but it was. Jose's game-winner came off Mariano Rivera, too!

Originally posted by wood28
I have a few;

1) being in the Bat Day crowd of 55,555

I've been to ALL of the games quoted above, so there's not much else for me to add there. I was on my honeymoon during the stretch drive in 1983, so I missed all of those games. A few more:

Watching Sammy whiff TWICE in the clutch in the Friday, 2003 game at USCF. Again, I yelled my lungs out.

Jorge Orta hitting a game-ending extra inning HR on the day I elected to drink a beer an inning at Old Comiskey...

The greatest double play I was on hand to see: Sox vs. Yankmees; Juice Cruz ranging to his right, diving for a grounder up the middle, flipping the ball directly from his gloved hand to Ozzie, who bare-handed it and relayed to first to get Dave Winfield.

So many great memories...

SMO
:gulp:

Thunderstruck30
03-27-2004, 12:26 PM
1. July 2003. Twins at Sox. Paulie pinch hits with 2 out in either the 9th or 10th. I was wondering why he was batting, but he pulled through and tied the game with a homer. Then in the next inning, Frank tagged a walk off homer to sweep the Twins. Even Hawk was short of breath.

2. Cubs at Sox, Sunday game in 01. Gary Matthews collides with Sandy Alomar at the plate and Sandy hangs on to the ball.

3. Sox at Cubs, Saturday game last year. Cubs have tying run at first. He steals 2nd, but Olivo guns him out after a pitch out.

4. June 2000. Sox at Yankees. This was the last game of the 4 game series that the Sox swept. Sox scored I think it was 9 runs in the 1st off El Duque. Valentin hit a grand slam and this was the moment I knew the Sox were gonna win the division.

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 06:53 PM
After a Loooooooooooooooooong rain delay, and the SOX already having Won the first two games of the series, the SOX were trying to Win SUnday for the Sweep. All the cub fans left
the park, and were drinking across the street. About 5,000 very HardCore SOX fans stayed and waited in the rain for the game to continue. THE game resumed, and all the SOX fans moved closer behind the DUgouts, and we Started the "RAY LIOTTA" chant for Mark Grace (which unnerved him).
Mike Caruso, hits a HOMERUN into the BozoBasket, for the Eventual Game WInner and a SOX SWEEP !!!!!!

SoxBoy14
03-27-2004, 07:10 PM
Last year, the first game between the Cubs and Sox. I was watching the game with two of my Sox-fan friends and one flub-fan friend. The first inning the Sox had the bases loaded as Miguel Olivio stepped up to the plate and cranked a Grand Slam! In the first inning!!! The flubfan had never suffered more taunting in his life. GOD I LOVE THE SOX!

santo=dorf
03-27-2004, 08:18 PM
I went to both the 7-2-03 game, and the first Cubs-Sox game at the Cell last year, but the best Sox game I went to was the clincher in 1993.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=342527

I sat right by Bo's homer with my Dad, my sister, and my best friend. While my Uncle was trying to sneak in my Friend's dad and himself, my friend, my sister and I were sitting outside waiting for them. Some guy then comes up to my friend and says "Enjoy the game," and gave him this ticket.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=342526

My friend's Dad and Uncle stood in the handicap section, and my friend's brother ended up in the upper deck somewhere ( I forgot how he got in.) I also have a short sound clip of Hawk calling the last out, put I don't know where to upload it.

voodoochile
03-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf

My friend's Dad and Uncle stood in the handicap section, and my friend's brother ended up in the upper deck somewhere ( I forgot how he got in.) I also have a short sound clip of Hawk calling the last out, put I don't know where to upload it.

You can't upload sound files. Send it to PHG via e-mail.

ChiSoxFann
03-27-2004, 08:51 PM
may favorites from

Konerko hit a homer of the Guardado and Thomas finishing off the Twins

Valentine's walk off homer against the Cubs
Aaron Rowands homer off the Cubs and Jimenez walk off single

Danny Wright throwing 6&1/3 no hit innings against the D-Rays :D: