PDA

View Full Version : Slate's 2004 Uniform design preview

cheeses_h_rice
03-25-2004, 04:12 PM
http://slate.msn.com/id/2097799

The Blue Jays and Pads have overhauled their uniforms, and other miscellany.

Baby Fisk
03-25-2004, 04:27 PM
The new Jays look is CRAP. Blue is now a trim instead of a base colour. Ridiculous! What's with the smokey grey caps?! And it was only a matter of time before they jumped on the alternate black jersey bandwagon. For the first time in team history, the maple leaf has been jettisoned from the uniform. That pisses me off. :angry:

GO SOX!

cheeses_h_rice
03-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
The new Jays look is CRAP. Blue is now a trim instead of a base colour. Ridiculous! What's with the smokey grey caps?! And it was only a matter of time before they jumped on the alternate black jersey bandwagon. For the first time in team history, the maple leaf has been jettisoned from the uniform. That pisses me off. :angry:

GO SOX!

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tor/news/tor_news.jsp?ymd=20040318&content_id=662173&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

Yep. That's a real stinker of a cap for a team called the BLUE Jays.

Fridaythe13thJason
03-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tor/news/tor_news.jsp?ymd=20040318&content_id=662173&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

I agree with the Jay's stinking...I believe their road uniforms are a DARK grey.

I do like the padres look though. I think it works for them, and its a fresh start for a team with a new stadium and no fans really.

MarqSox
03-25-2004, 04:51 PM

I always find comments like these amusing coming from fans of a team called the WHITE Sox, whose dominant color is black -- the literall opposite of white.

cheeses_h_rice
03-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I always find comments like these amusing coming from fans of a team called the WHITE Sox, whose dominant color is black -- the literall opposite of white.

But the Sox unis are black and white, with a lot of white. The Blue Jays' cap was entirely gray.

doublem23
03-25-2004, 09:22 PM

The dominant color of the White Sox jerseys are white, except for the black top, but that shouldn't be worn more than a few times a month anyway.

Brian26
03-25-2004, 09:39 PM

I don't get this comment either. The Sox color scheme is white, black and silver. That works perfectly with the name.

DSpivack
03-25-2004, 09:50 PM
The White Sox have always had one of the better looks in baseball.

Up until this change, I think the Blue Jays had one of the better looking logos in baseball... I really liked the red maple leaf. I even bought a hat at the skydome a few years ago. I don't mind their team, either [now- 10 years ago I had quite different feelings].

But, c'mon Toronto, this new stuff is awful.

As for the Padres, their home unis are nice; but are the road uniforms not a little drab and boring?

I don't like the Twins, anyway, but that T/C is damn ugly. Get back to the M logo.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-25-2004, 10:48 PM

the blue jays new logo doesn't look like a baseball logo at all. it looks more like a hockey team logo or arena football. too flashy for a traditional and more deliberate game. out of line i say

DSpivack
03-25-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by JohnBasedowYoda
the blue jays new logo doesn't look like a baseball logo at all. it looks more like a hockey team logo or arena football. too flashy for a traditional and more deliberate game. out of line i say

I wouldn't even go that far. It doesn't look professional- it looks like one of those fake ones out of a video game.

MarqSox
03-26-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
I don't get this comment either. The Sox color scheme is white, black and silver. That works perfectly with the name.
I'm not knocking the uniforms, I like them. I just think it's disingenious to make fun of the Blue Jays for wearing less blue when our own team, the White Sox, wears black socks.

hsnterprize
03-26-2004, 07:40 AM
I'm not knocking the uniforms, I like them. I just think it's disingenious to make fun of the Blue Jays for wearing less blue when our own team, the White Sox, wears black socks. Hey...the Sox' color scheme is alright...even with the black socks. Remember, they wore white socks underneat black stirrups before they and other teams went to the solid color sock trend. You'll see players either wearing a white sock with respective team color stripe down the side, or a solid color sock. Personally, I think the solid color sock looks pretty cool.

As far as the Padres' and Blue Jays' unis are concerned, I like the Pad's new home unis and alternate jerseys. Their road unis will take some getting used to since their not gray. I really hope baseball isn't going back to the days when road teams wore every other color under the rainbow like teams in the 70's and 80's like Philadelphia, St. Louis, Montreal, and Cleveland. A gray uni with "San Diego" in blue script with a white and orange drop shadow would've been a lot classier.

What the hell were the Blue Jays thinking with their new color scheme? I can understand a new, streamlined logo, but their 2004 unis are ridiculous. The silver and black is too much considering their main color is supposed to be BLUE (I know others have said that, but that's my $.02 worth). At least the White Sox are using a modern version of a classic logo in order to create in my honest opinion the best color scheme in baseball. The Jays were better off leaving the unis alone. At first, I didn't like how they went from the unis of the late 80's-early 90's to the ones they had over the past couple of years. However, at least the Jays kept the mostly-blue theme while adding a classy touch of red.

Question...Todd MacFarlane didn't have anything to do with this uniform change, did he? He's the idiot comic-book artist who drew up the alternate uniforms for the Edmonton Oilers. You look at the dark blue design that absolutely has NOTHING to do with the traditional Oilers look, and you wonder...did this design come out of a "Spawn" concept gone bad?

Baby Fisk
03-26-2004, 08:33 AM
The Jays should do something radical and make their alternate uniform a fictitious throwback. Here's what I mean: it's clear they are pandering to the youts of today with their "arena football" logo, but as an alternative they should come out with a retro-looking unie. Something that looks like it came out of the 50s: blue pinstripes and high blue socks and an anatomically correct blue jay on royal blue caps with a wicked sleeve patch of an old Canadian flag or big maple leaf. Yeah! The word "Toronto" on the front could be in a kind of "Dodgers" script. Why not break the few remaining rules that are left. What do you think?!?!

1951Campbell
03-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Those Jays unis look like a Div. III team trying to "freshen up their look"--i.e., terrible.

mantis1212
03-26-2004, 08:57 AM
I think those Padres road unis look great, nothing too fancy. Kind of reminds me of those Sox road unis they wore once last year, I don't remember where those came from...

sas1974
03-26-2004, 08:59 AM
When did this site turn into Queer Eye for the Sox Fan? What's w/ all of this uni talk? But while we're on the subject, I don't like the Pad's sand road unis either. :D:

Kittle
03-26-2004, 09:19 AM
I agree that the new jersey/cap looks like something you'd see in arena league football, but it's better than what they had before, IMO.

Hangar18
03-26-2004, 09:53 AM
I too am getting sick and TIRED of teams putting BLACK in their
colors and logos now. The cubs have a Navy Blue warmup jersey. Navy blue is NOT their Color. The Blue Jays have Black in their colors, with the BLACK being dominant in their uniforms.
Ridiculous. Padre uni's are OK, but better than that Horridn navy and white uni they wore last year. yacchhhhh

But a Special Slap-in-the-Design-Face goes to the Baltimore Orioles for changing their hat from that CLassic Smiling Oriole,
to something that looks like a pigeon now. They Really Blew it.
That Oriole smiling is one of the CLASSIC HATS in my opinion,
in baseball history. They went from having one of the most Original, Most Widely Recognized Hats/Logos in the WOrld to Having one of the UGLIEST HATS in one fell swoop. Why they changed it is beyond comprehension. When devising a list of Who i would root for if/when the SOX should ever move out of Chicago, I took the Orioles off my Short List because of that UGLY HAT OF THEIRS

JohnBasedowYoda
03-26-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
When did this site turn into Queer Eye for the Sox Fan? What's w/ all of this uni talk? But while we're on the subject, I don't like the Pad's sand road unis either. :D:

We just want our men to look manly

:manos
"i think we look like hot little fajitas out there, man"

Hangar18
03-26-2004, 09:59 AM
my opinion on the cubs uni. Its Ugly, they are unlucky
to have blue and red as colors, the way the Logo looks
makes them look like a little league Team. The red "C" on
a blue hat looks.....Ugly. Whenever I see that Hat, I think
L-O-S-E-R. It makes me think of a little league team

PaleHoseGeorge
03-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Why don't the Blue Jays just switch to a hockey jersey and get it over with.

:smile:

anewman35
03-26-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18

But a Special Slap-in-the-Design-Face goes to the Baltimore Orioles for changing their hat from that CLassic Smiling Oriole,
in baseball history. They went from having one of the most Original, Most Widely Recognized Hats/Logos in the WOrld to Having one of the UGLIEST HATS in one fell swoop. Why they changed it is beyond comprehension.

You think the Orioles had one of the most widely recognized hats/logos in the world? I know I ask this a lot, but are you insane? What can you possibly be basing this on? Have you done many surveys of people in Europe and Asia, asking them what logos they recoginize?

Brian26
03-26-2004, 11:10 AM
in baseball history. They went from having one of the most Original, Most Widely Recognized Hats/Logos in the WOrld to Having one of the UGLIEST HATS in one fell swoop. Why they changed it is beyond comprehension. When devising a list of Who i would root for if/when the SOX should ever move out of Chicago, I took the Orioles off my Short List because of that UGLY HAT OF THEIRS

Hangar-

The Orioles hats actually USED to be the same as they are now- just the side profile of the bird. That is, in fact, their classic hat used from the 50s and early 60's! The smiling Oriole, which most of us remember from the Brooks Robinson early-70's to the Ripken mid-80's era, was not the original hat.

Brian26
03-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Hangar - Check out this Orioles card from 1959.

Orioles Card (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2796486103&category=642)

anewman35
03-26-2004, 11:25 AM
Hangar-

The Orioles hats actually USED to be the same as they are now- just the side profile of the bird. That is, in fact, their classic hat used from the 50s and early 60's! The smiling Oriole, which most of us remember from the Brooks Robinson early-70's to the Ripken mid-80's era, was not the original hat.

And besides, it's not a "pigeon" anyway, it's, (shockingly), an Oriole. There's a quite a difference.

Foulke You
03-26-2004, 11:49 AM
my opinion on the cubs uni. Its Ugly, they are unlucky
to have blue and red as colors, the way the Logo looks
makes them look like a little league Team. The red "C" on
a blue hat looks.....Ugly. Whenever I see that Hat, I think
L-O-S-E-R. It makes me think of a little league team

By far, the ugliest uniform the Cubs have is that blue pajama top with the little cutsie pie bear running through the big red C. They also have precious little hats with the same logo to match that pajama top. It is MLB's only Sesame Street style logo.

Hangar18
03-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
And besides, it's not a "pigeon" anyway, it's, (shockingly), an Oriole. There's a quite a difference.

If the Orioles were trying to go with an Ornitholigically (sp?)
correct Oriole, then they Got that wrong Too. I saw an Oriole outside the window of my office just yesterday, and there was a LOT MORE ORANGE on him than what I see on those hats, esp his chest area. Good thing I wasnt using the current Ugly Oriole Pigeon hat to base what they look like.

Hangar18
03-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Im glad im not a Mets fan by the way, they HANDS DOWN,
not only have the Ugliest Hats in the MLB, but the UGLIEST Home Uniform, Ugliest Alternate Jersey, and UGLIEST practice Jersey.
That organization cant get anything right. they went wrong by deciding to go with BLACK in their colors, yechhhhhhh
black, blue and orange DONT WORK Mets, get a clue

Brian26
03-26-2004, 11:58 AM
correct Oriole, then they Got that wrong Too. I saw an Oriole outside the window of my office just yesterday, and there was a LOT MORE ORANGE on him than what I see on those hats, esp his chest area. Good thing I wasnt using the current Ugly Oriole Pigeon hat to base what they look like.

At least they are going back to orange lettering on their unis this year instead of the black. God, this thread is making me feel gay.

Hangar18
03-26-2004, 11:59 AM
And before some wiseguy here ( :) ) tells me that a
real Orioles doesnt wear miniature baseball hats and Smile all the time, I know that. I just think that hat was INSTANTLY memorable.
Again, the need for a ornitholigically correct Oriole is silly

anewman35
03-26-2004, 12:02 PM

You know the off season is too long when we've sunk to the point of arguing how accurate a bird on another team's hat is. Anyways, check here (http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/content/animals/species/2513.html) and here (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=26894&cp=1452344.1452610). Looks to me that if they were actually going for a Baltimore Oriole, there's too much orange on the hat, that looks more like the one the page calls a Bullock's Oriole.

soxnut
03-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
The Jays should do something radical and make their alternate uniform a fictitious throwback. Here's what I mean: it's clear they are pandering to the youts of today with their "arena football" logo, but as an alternative they should come out with a retro-looking unie. Something that looks like it came out of the 50s: blue pinstripes and high blue socks and an anatomically correct blue jay on royal blue caps with a wicked sleeve patch of an old Canadian flag or big maple leaf. Yeah! The word "Toronto" on the front could be in a kind of "Dodgers" script. Why not break the few remaining rules that are left. What do you think?!?!

Great idea! :smile:

Hangar18
03-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
You know the off season is too long when we've sunk to the point of arguing how accurate a bird on another team's hat is. Anyways, check here (http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/content/animals/species/2513.html) and here (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=26894&cp=1452344.1452610). Looks to me that if they were actually going for a Baltimore Oriole, there's too much orange on the hat, that looks more like the one the page calls a Bullock's Oriole.

OK, im Looking at the Orioles current hat, and looking at
an actual real live Oriole outside my window again! He looks like
the bird in the Balt Oriole pic, and Nothing like the Hat. The Hat
looks like a Fat Chicken painted Black and Orange. thats why
the hat looks BRUTAL. cool looking bird actually

Rush20
03-26-2004, 01:02 PM
The Blue Jays now look like the Devil Rays from a logo perspective. Ugly!

Regarding the White Sox current look, I know many people think the black dominates the look, however I disagree. Plus the "SOX" script logo on the black hat is white, which I think is really classy and self-explanatory - "White Sox"...

I would like to see them try to incorporate more white in the actual socks area of the uniform. I love the look from early classic "Eight Men Out" era - Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Baby Fisk
03-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Im glad im not a Mets fan by the way, they HANDS DOWN,
not only have the Ugliest Hats in the MLB, but the UGLIEST Home Uniform, Ugliest Alternate Jersey, and UGLIEST practice Jersey.
That organization cant get anything right. they went wrong by deciding to go with BLACK in their colors, yechhhhhhh
black, blue and orange DONT WORK Mets, get a clue

I agree. The blue and orange began as tributes to the Dodgers and Giants of yore, but in the past decade the Mets have just gone out of control with their uniforms & variations.

Rush20
03-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Yes - The black alternate jersey is way over-used around the league. As a biased SOX fan, I think we're the only team that legitimately has a reason for a black alternate jersey.

The Rockies obviously copied the White SOX and was it just me, or did the Florida Marlins have a SOX look to them during the post-season.

Hmm..Maybe that's why they beat the Cubs :cool:

batmanZoSo
03-26-2004, 02:00 PM
http://slate.msn.com/id/2097799

The Blue Jays and Pads have overhauled their uniforms, and other miscellany.

I think I'm gonna retch. What is everyone's obsession with looking like the Brewers? It's not like they have great uniforms themselves. That script has gotta go.

I also hate that stupid "T" logo with the cartoon bird behind it. That looks like a minor league hat.

Their traditional blue jay profile logo from 93 was the best. It had a classic look to it. It kinda looked like it was designed by the same guy who made the similar Penguins logo.

Hold on...gray hats? I just saw that. They must be female blue jays now...

batmanZoSo
03-26-2004, 02:09 PM
The Padres muffed their home shirts just like the Jays. You can tell a uniform that won't be around in ten years, and these two are one of them...er, two of them.

I love the SD road jersey though.

ihatethecubs
03-27-2004, 06:19 AM
thosee jays uniforms are gross. i also thought the "jacobs field 10th anniversary" patch was pretty funny.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-27-2004, 07:30 AM
I have one word for the new San Diego road shirt:

EverLast.

Hangar18
03-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I have one word for the new San Diego road shirt:

EverLast.

Good eye there. YES, they totally ripped off that brand.
I think it looks good though, just get rid of that "sandy gray" look and go with Gray like everyone else. Anyone notice how
the Twinkies Ripped off M&M Mars candy, with their "M" logo?
Also, the Brewers have ripped off the MILLER BREWING LOGO
blatantly, but I do like it.

Regarding the alternate BLACK jerseys all over the league now, the WHITE SOX were one of the first to start featuring the Alternate BLACK jersey, and of course, leave it to the MLB to Mess Something Up by letting everyone Go Hog Wild with the Black Jersey Look. Not saying this because im a SOX FAN, but WE HAVE THE BEST LOOKING BLK JERSEY IN BASEBALL.
The Following teams have NO BUSINESS with Black Jerseys.

Blue Jays -ummm, your the BLUE jays, not the BLACK Jays
Mets - 2 dominant colors NEVER match together.
that jersey looks HORRIBLE, and so does the Black
hat with the blue brim ............yuuughhhhhhh
Royals - having Black trim isnt so bad......as long as ROYAL BLUE is the dominant color. But KC blew it and the Black Jersey looks TERRIBLE on them, as does the Black Sleeves on the road uniform (Yeccccchhhh) and the Black Hat with Blue Brim (see mets)
Rockies - 2 dominant colors DONT go together (see Mets)
Marlins - You guys ARENT the White SOX. stop it already
their BLACK jersey looks good. but note how its all black and SILVER and White. WhiteSox colors. not Marlin.
DiamondBacks - 2 dominant colors DONT go together (seeMets)

MarqSox
03-27-2004, 01:18 PM

I'm sure it's not a coincidence, and I'm sure Miller doesn't mind.

Wsoxmike59
03-28-2004, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by DSpivack
I don't like the Twins, anyway, but that T/C is damn ugly. Get back to the M logo.

The Twins still use the M logo on their road caps. They use the TC for the Home Games. The TC harkens back to the original Minnesota Twins caps when the franchise first moved to the Twin Cities.

batmanZoSo
03-28-2004, 11:19 AM
Good eye there. YES, they totally ripped off that brand.
I think it looks good though, just get rid of that "sandy gray" look and go with Gray like everyone else. Anyone notice how
the Twinkies Ripped off M&M Mars candy, with their "M" logo?

Regarding the alternate BLACK jerseys all over the league now, the WHITE SOX were one of the first to start featuring the Alternate BLACK jersey, and of course, leave it to the MLB to Mess Something Up by letting everyone Go Hog Wild with the Black Jersey Look. Not saying this because im a SOX FAN, but WE HAVE THE BEST LOOKING BLK JERSEY IN BASEBALL.
The Following teams have NO BUSINESS with Black Jerseys.

Blue Jays -ummm, your the BLUE jays, not the BLACK Jays
Mets - 2 dominant colors NEVER match together.
that jersey looks HORRIBLE, and so does the Black
hat with the blue brim ............yuuughhhhhhh
Royals - having Black trim isnt so bad......as long as ROYAL BLUE is the dominant color. But KC blew it and the Black Jersey looks TERRIBLE on them, as does the Black Sleeves on the road uniform (Yeccccchhhh) and the Black Hat with Blue Brim (see mets)
Rockies - 2 dominant colors DONT go together (see Mets)
Marlins - You guys ARENT the White SOX. stop it already
their BLACK jersey looks good. but note how its all black and SILVER and White. WhiteSox colors. not Marlin.
DiamondBacks - 2 dominant colors DONT go together (seeMets)

I like the Mets uniforms a lot. It beats the old pinstripes they used to have. The only other team that looks good with black tops are Giants.

But the Diamonbacks have the worst uniforms in the game. Purple sleeves? Come on. And they have a million different hats. The road one with the "D" snake is pretty dreadful.

Palehose13
03-28-2004, 11:43 AM

Dude...that was a robin.

Palehose13
03-28-2004, 11:44 AM
At least they are going back to orange lettering on their unis this year instead of the black. God, this thread is making me feel gay.
Come to the dark side...

Palehose13
03-28-2004, 11:53 AM
I don't care for the Jay's new logo. I actually like the gray hat, but I'm a girl...so i guess I am supposed to. ;) I HATED their numbers in the early 90's:
http://www.trymyplace.com/baseball/tripy13s.jpg
That really is gay. :smile:

I dig the new Padre's uni's...even the road ones.

I like the TC hats of the Twins...especially in red, but I have a liking for red.

I think we should scrap the current Sox uni's and go back to the '83 look!

PaleHoseGeorge
03-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Robins don't look anything like orioles. If you've ever seen a real-life oriole you know exactly what I mean. The orange on an oriole is much much brighter. They are smaller and thinner than a robin, too. Though their markings are similar, the oriole definitely has more orange than a robin.

Furthermore, unlike robins, orioles are rarely seen on the ground. They prefer to perch and spend most of their time in the trees high above where most amateur bird watchers bother to look.

I don't care what anybody says. That stupid oriole on Baltimore's cap looks much closer to a robin than a real-life oriole, especially because the bird is depicted as though on the ground -- like a stupid robin. They ought to ditch that stupid cap with that stupid logo, pronto.

Of course this is Baltimore we're talking about, a town that the Old Roman himself pegged as a minor league city nearly 100 years ago. They'll probably institutionalize their robin logo for another 30 years. Idiots...

Palehose13
03-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Robins don't look anything like orioles. If you've ever seen a real-life oriole you know exactly what I mean. The orange on an oriole is much much brighter. They are smaller and thinner than a robin, too. Though their markings are similar, the oriole definitely has more orange than a robin.

Furthermore, unlike robins, orioles are rarely seen on the ground. They prefer to perch and spend most of their time in the trees high above where most amateur bird watchers bother to look.

I don't care what anybody says. That stupid oriole on Baltimore's cap looks much closer to a robin than a real-life oriole, especially because the bird is depicted as though on the ground -- like a stupid robin. They ought to ditch that stupid cap with that stupid logo, pronto.

Of course this is Baltimore we're talking about, a town that the Old Roman himself pegged as a minor league city nearly 100 years ago. They'll probably institutionalize their robin logo for another 30 years. Idiots...

LOL...Maybe I should have put my response to Hangar in teal! ;)

PaleHoseGeorge
03-28-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
LOL...Maybe I should have put my response to Hangar in teal! ;)

Nah. Your post just gave me the opportunity to vent on how stupid the robin logo looks and how stupid the people in Baltimore are for denying it looks exactly like a robin. I've heard their claims that the oriole is "ornithologically correct" but the fact is the bird is depicted with its tail *behind* the bird, not underneath.

That is what makes their logo a piece of **** robin. I don't care how many flight bars they stitch into the wings!

Oh, and the breast on the oriole is far too round, too, again exactly like a piece of **** robin. Those idiots in Baltimore need to call the Cardinals front office in St. Louis to learn how to depict their bird properly. In my book until then they are just the Baltimore "Piece of ****" Robins.

Go eat some worms, you fat, oversized thrush-loving idiots...

Palehose13
03-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Are you gonna tell us how you really feel? :D:

Hangar18
03-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Heh heh, Here I thought I was the Only guy Thoroughly ANNOYED at that Orioles Hat. Like I said, outside my office
the other day, theres been this real-live ORIOLE, and he doesnt look anything like that hat. I hate that hat with a
passion, its completely Incorrect. YES, the Chest on the Hat is Far Too Round, and the Head.......IS Rounded like a Pigeon.
The Orioles head is sleeker, like a Crow. I agree, that is a Robin on the hat. Cant wait to til the Orioles come here to play us, Im gonna remind every Oriole Fan they have a ROBIN
for a logo

Brian26
03-28-2004, 12:23 PM
In my book until then they are just the Baltimore "Piece of ****" Robins.

Go eat some worms, you fat, oversized thrush-loving idiots...

And that goes for Tito Landrum, too.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-28-2004, 12:27 PM
Heh heh, Here I thought I was the Only guy Thoroughly ANNOYED at that Orioles Hat. Like I said, outside my office
the other day, theres been this real-live ORIOLE, and he doesnt look anything like that hat. I hate that hat with a
passion, its completely Incorrect. YES, the Chest on the Hat is Far Too Round, and the Head.......IS Rounded like a Pigeon.
The Orioles head is sleeker, like a Crow. I agree, that is a Robin on the hat. Cant wait to til the Orioles come here to play us, Im gonna remind every Oriole Fan they have a ROBIN
for a logo

You know something else, Hanger? Those robins can't sing a tune. They are truly the garbage cans of the thrush genus of birds.

If you want a melody outside your window, get a mockingbird... or maybe a goldfinch. All robins are good for is eating the dying worms off your driveway after a hard rain.

:)

Palehose13
03-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Ok guys, this may have seriously crossed the line into a "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" thread.

In your best Big Gay Al voice:
Hangar: "Which song bird do you prefer?"
PHG: "Oh, I just love a canary!"
Hangar: "Girl, those things just drive me mad! I prefer a morning dove."

Here's the deal, next time I'm in Chicago if you guys seriously want to go to Roscoe's, Spin, or anywhere else on Halsted (except the manhole!)...I'll take you, I really will.

***Disclaimer: This does not mean I will take any of you to Girlbar. Get it out of your mind, right now. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-28-2004, 12:38 PM
And that goes for Tito Landrum, too.

I laugh to myself everytime I think about Cal Ripken running out to his position wearing that robin on his cap for all those years... game after game... because everyone in Baltimore is too stupid to know what an oriole looks like.

:gulp:

batmanZoSo
03-28-2004, 07:35 PM
You know something else, Hanger? Those robins can't sing a tune. They are truly the garbage cans of the thrush genus of birds.

If you want a melody outside your window, get a mockingbird... or maybe a goldfinch. All robins are good for is eating the dying worms off your driveway after a hard rain.

:)

What's your stance on the blue jay? Almost everyday I can see one in the catalpa tree out the window where my comp is. I also see a cardinal once in a blue moon. Those two sure beat those ubiquitous little gray birds..I don't know what they're called.

We're talking about color schemes and birds...this really is the gayest thread ever. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

sas1974
03-28-2004, 08:13 PM
http://beanbagcentral.com/ccosas/img/carson02.jpg
"This thread is absolutely fabulous!!"

PaleHoseGeorge
03-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
What's your stance on the blue jay? Almost everyday I can see one in the catalpa tree out the window where my comp is. I also see a cardinal once in a blue moon. Those two sure beat those ubiquitous little gray birds..I don't know what they're called.

I'm guessing your "ubiquitous little gray birds" are house sparrows, but more accurately called weaver finches, native to cliff areas of North Africa. They are nasty, aggressive, and often filthy little birds stealing many of the best nesting sites from native North American species, especially bluebirds. Starlings, a UK import, are the only birds that can match their obnoxious behavior.

As for blue jays, they are a very interesting species. They have a tremendous range of vocalizations and quite a variety of unique behavior that I won't bother to bore you explaining. They are very raucous around the neighborhood, but quite timid around other birds in spite of their large size and long beak. Along with crows, they have been nearly wiped out in the Chicago area the past two summers by West Nile virus. I saw my first blue jay in months just last week. Unlike those flying rats, the crows, I've been missing the blue jays.

"PHG's backyard bird official rankings"

Goldfinches, chickadees: 5 stars
Cardinals, Blue Jays: 4-1/2 stars
Orioles, red-winged blackbirds: 4 stars
Robins, juncos: 2 stars
Grackles, House finches: 1 star
Weaver finches, starlings, crows, pigeons: 0 stars.

Oh, and Toronto is making a mockery of a truly great backyard bird with their new uniform design. They ought to stop kidding themselves they are fooling anyone, simply design a hockey jersey with a giant maple leaf on it, and come out of their denial that they are guilty of not giving a damned about anything besides hockey and curling.

Hangar18
03-28-2004, 09:35 PM

Oh, and Toronto is making a mockery of a truly great backyard bird with their new uniform design. They ought to stop kidding themselves they are fooling anyone, simply design a hockey jersey with a giant maple leaf on it, and come out of their denial that they are guilty of not giving a damned about anything besides hockey and curling.

I will agree with you. I personally think the Logo Is way too over the Top, but I kind of like it. What I dont like, is the bird theyre trying to depict on the Jerseys also Looks Nothing LIke a BlueJay. I also am Insulted as a Baseball Fan that the new jersey is Dominantly BLACK and SILVER, with some Blue thrown in for Trim. Ridiculous. What they shouldve done was gone with a Really Bright shade of Blue, kind of like the Detroit Lions,
and went with that .........then throw in some Black Trim (there is some black in a Real Blue Jay)

Baby Fisk
03-29-2004, 12:55 PM

This thread just got nominated for the 2004 Audubon Society Thread of the Year. :D:

And yes, the Toronto organization is showing it is utterly clueless about baseball history and uniform design by pandering to the lowest common denominator (ie. black jerseys and rad logos). As long as the Leafs are in the playoffs, baseball will not exist in Toronto. Same story every year.

batmanZoSo
03-29-2004, 01:18 PM
I'm guessing your "ubiquitous little gray birds" are house sparrows, but more accurately called weaver finches, native to cliff areas of North Africa. They are nasty, aggressive, and often filthy little birds stealing many of the best nesting sites from native North American species, especially bluebirds. Starlings, a UK import, are the only birds that can match their obnoxious behavior.

As for blue jays, they are a very interesting species. They have a tremendous range of vocalizations and quite a variety of unique behavior that I won't bother to bore you explaining. They are very raucous around the neighborhood, but quite timid around other birds in spite of their large size and long beak. Along with crows, they have been nearly wiped out in the Chicago area the past two summers by West Nile virus. I saw my first blue jay in months just last week. Unlike those flying rats, the crows, I've been missing the blue jays.

Thanks for the info. I give cardinals and blue jays 5 stars my self. They're amazing looking. They're pretty much the only interesting wildlife in the state. All you got are a crapload of deer, lots of skunks and rodents and that's about it.

One time I saw a full grown parrot--or whatever the red and green one with the white and black striped eyes is called--in a tree by my house in November. I'm sure it's dead by now. Obviously it flew out someone's house. But it was probably the weirdest thing I've ever seen nature-wise.

South Sider
03-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Maybe it is because I'm from Germany or because I wear contact lenses, but I alwas liked the coloured MLB Unis from the 70s & 80s (like Astros, Padres, A's, Phillies, Pirates !!!!, Blue Jays, Orioles, Royals)

Today the uniforms in Baseball are some kind of boring to me with the home team always wearing white and the visting team always wearing "grey"

So I like it when the teams play in their "Alternates" !!!
(A's = green, KC= blue, etc)

But hey....Germany is soccer Country.
No team will play in pure white or grey here, because we find it too boring.

I am also not a fan of all the red/blue/white combos in us-major sports....but that are the colours of your country and so I can understand that......but too boring too (esp. in the NFL I should say)

The Sox Unis are great. Their grey road jerseys are the best grey jerseys in the Majors.

But my favorite Sox unis are the black ones !!!!!

The ugliest Sox unis were the ones from the late 80s-1990 !!!! Horrible !!!!

The new uniforms from this post

TOR = bad
SD = like it .....even their road jerseys
BAL = Great when they go back to orange letters !!!!!!