PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal on Spring Training Deals

fledgedrallycap
03-25-2004, 02:13 PM
Interesting read which doesn't really go into rumors, just detailing what teams need and who would be a nice fit. In particular to the White Sox:

"White Sox: A speedy utility man who could bat leadoff is their top priority. The desired profile is a Mark McLemore/Tony Womack-type who could play second base, enabling Willie Harris to spell Aaron Rowand in center, and also third, giving Joe Crede an occasional breather. Marlon Anderson, about to be dumped by the Cardinals, and Alex Cora, the younger brother of White Sox coach Joey Cora, are two possibilities, though neither is particularly appealing."

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2262270

uribe151
03-25-2004, 02:35 PM
so our top priority is someone to fill in for harris so he can go out and play some center??

this is not what i call an astute observation

how about ACQUIRE A QUALITY MAJOR LEAGUE SECOND BASEMAN

for a top priority???????????

or how about ACQUIRE A QUALITY MAJOR LEAGUE CENTER FIELDER?????

LEFT-HANDED POWER HITTER, anybody???

Tekijawa
03-25-2004, 02:45 PM
I would like a Starter or two also! And a Long Reliever...

SSN721
03-25-2004, 02:46 PM
I dont know, Marlon Anderson did pretty well for me on Baseball Mogul 2003. That kids solid, real value. :D:

batmanZoSo
03-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by uribe151
so our top priority is someone to fill in for harris so he can go out and play some center??

this is not what i call an astute observation

how about ACQUIRE A QUALITY MAJOR LEAGUE SECOND BASEMAN

for a top priority???????????

or how about ACQUIRE A QUALITY MAJOR LEAGUE CENTER FIELDER?????

LEFT-HANDED POWER HITTER, anybody???

Excellent post.

This is a weird team. We got two hall of famers in the middle of the lineup and a guy who is horribly not a major leaguer leading off. And we're really trying to work him into the every day lineup for some reason.

uribe151
03-25-2004, 03:30 PM
at least we're set at SHORTSTOP WTH URIBE!!!!!!!!!!!!

go go white sox!

MRKARNO
03-25-2004, 03:35 PM
at least we're set at SHORTSTOP WTH URIBE!!!!!!!!!!!!

go go white sox!

And we're also set in center field with Damaso Marte

sas1974
03-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
And we're also set in center field with Damaso Marte

He's got a cannon though. Maybe we should stick him in right. I'd like to see the cut off men trying the catch the sliders he'd be throwing in.

jeremyb1
03-25-2004, 05:12 PM
I don't understand why Uribe can't be that player. He can spell Willie at 2B and he can play SS with Jose moving to 3B to fill in for Crede. Sure he isn't a leadoff hitter but neither is any current player on our roster. McLemore has little left in the tank and Anderson doesn't walk any. Did it take this long to occur to the team that it might be helpful to have someone with on base skills to lead off?! That type of player isn't going to fall out of the trees all of a sudden. Harris walked plenty in his last stint in Charlotte and he seems to be walking well this spring so we should just give him the shot. He's our best option.

maurice
03-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I don't understand why Uribe can't be that player. He can spell Willie at 2B and he can play SS with Jose moving to 3B to fill in for Crede.

Maybe they figure that Uribe will end up as the regular 2B and want to add a utility guy so they don't have to move Uribe around the IF.

soxtalker
03-25-2004, 06:41 PM
He didn't seem to mention the Dodgers, the most discussed trading partner for the Sox lately, as really needing anyone.

uribe151
03-26-2004, 02:31 AM
i have a feeling ozzie is not wanting no glove valentine whether he is batting left or not

notice we acquired uribe about 2 weeks after ozzie was named manager

also remember ozzie was a terrific fielder

anyway, GOOD CALL MAURICE...uribe will play one or the other

GO GO SOX!

batmanZoSo
03-26-2004, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I don't understand why Uribe can't be that player. He can spell Willie at 2B and he can play SS with Jose moving to 3B to fill in for Crede. Sure he isn't a leadoff hitter but neither is any current player on our roster. McLemore has little left in the tank and Anderson doesn't walk any. Did it take this long to occur to the team that it might be helpful to have someone with on base skills to lead off?! That type of player isn't going to fall out of the trees all of a sudden. Harris walked plenty in his last stint in Charlotte and he seems to be walking well this spring so we should just give him the shot. He's our best option.

That McLemore can play a myriad of positions and he's always getting clutch hits it seems. I don't know if he steals that many bases anymore but he couldn't have lost more than a step or two. We really need guys who can get two bases on a hit, pronto.

white sox bill
03-26-2004, 08:15 AM
Hell, if this is all we need start printing WS tix now!!

MisterB
03-26-2004, 10:30 AM
i have a feeling ozzie is not wanting no glove valentine whether he is batting left or not

notice we acquired uribe about 2 weeks after ozzie was named manager

also remember ozzie was a terrific fielder

anyway, GOOD CALL MAURICE...uribe will play one or the other

GO GO SOX!

The Uribe deal had zero to do with Ozzie coming on board. He was obtained to replace Graffanino in the short term as a utility infielder, and potentially as Valentin's replacement in 2005. If Uribe spends significant time in the starting lineup this season, it will be at second in place of Wee Willie.