PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy says Koch is his closer!

ShoelessFred
03-25-2004, 02:03 PM
he said it today on boers and bernsy. he went on to say he didn't want the 100mph Koch, he wants a Koch who can pitch and get guys out and stay under control. what do you guys think. i've listened to a couple games but haven't heard much of what koch is doing.

soltrain21
03-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Koch isn't doing too bad, but the same can be said for last year's spring training too.

I guess we shall see.

SoxxoS
03-25-2004, 02:09 PM
Coinsidentally, the 100 mph Koch IS the guy who can get guys out. This new guy can't get anyone out. I give him 2 weeks in the closer role. If he blows 1 save, he's out. You got to have a quick hook with this guy, or else he can cost us big time. (See the turning point of the season...July 4th at Tampa)

soltrain21
03-25-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Coinsidentally, the 100 mph Koch IS the guy who can get guys out. This new guy can't get anyone out. I give him 2 weeks in the closer role. If he blows 1 save, he's out. You got to have a quick hook with this guy, or else he can cost us big time. (See the turning point of the season...July 4th at Tampa)

Oh do NOT even bring that day up! I was in the car driving to my friends house listening to that. I bet I nearly caused an accident, I was so pissed.

MRKARNO
03-25-2004, 02:22 PM
This isnt news. We've known this since Ozzie even started talking about who his closer was going to be.

Paulwny
03-25-2004, 02:23 PM
Unless he's able to consistantly throw other pitches for strikes his < 95mph fastball= disaster.

hold2dibber
03-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
he said it today on boers and bernsy. he went on to say he didn't want the 100mph Koch, he wants a Koch who can pitch and get guys out and stay under control. what do you guys think. i've listened to a couple games but haven't heard much of what koch is doing.

Sounds like he wants someone like, oh, I don't know, Keith Foulke.

SoxOnTop
03-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Please do not mention this game again. I was there and was about to leave a happy camper on Independence Day. In an instant my whole week was ruined.

Dadawg_77
03-25-2004, 02:31 PM
At least he isn't yet wasting Matre as the the closer.

TheRockinMT
03-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Sounds like he wants someone like, oh, I don't know, Keith Foulke.

Keith Foulke? Now for some reason that's a familiar name... Oh yeah he's the guy that saved 40 plus games all the time except when some manager messed him up in '02.

wdelaney72
03-25-2004, 04:19 PM
This will be short lived. Becuase of his salary, Koch has to be named the closer right away.

Koch will be shelled right off the bat. Without 100 mph, he's got nothing.

Hopefully, Ozzie will keep Koch on a shorter leash than Jerry Manual used.

pudge
03-25-2004, 04:59 PM
I'm feeling ill... as an example of how far Koch has fallen... he was the LAST player I took in my 12-team fantasy league... he's the 5th of my 5 closers. I guess it's a steal if he actually performs, but somehow I feel like Marte will be closing by mid-April.

sas1974
03-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Any word on where his velocity is at? Is he at least hitting the mid to high 90s on occasion?

hold2dibber
03-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Any word on where his velocity is at? Is he at least hitting the mid to high 90s on occasion?

Every report I've heard has said he's throwing between 90 and 93. For him, that ain't gonna get it done.

jeremyb1
03-25-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
This will be short lived. Becuase of his salary, Koch has to be named the closer right away.

Koch will be shelled right off the bat. Without 100 mph, he's got nothing.

Hopefully, Ozzie will keep Koch on a shorter leash than Jerry Manual used.

The problem is how many games are we going to lose by bringing in Koch in high leverage situations. Way too much emphasis is placed on "respecting" the guy with the reputation and large contracting by giving him an important role out of the spring. Koch had an ERA of 6 last season. Why not start him off in the back of the pen and if he pitches really well then give him the closer job? Its entirely a result of coddling veterans with reputations and obsession with the idea of "closer mentality". Since Koch has closed before he has to be given first crack at the job this offseason? Why? I don't understand what we lose by giving Marte first crack outside of making Kenny look like more of an idiot but I think Koch will take care of that for him when he tries to close out games...

fhqwhgads
03-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
Keith Foulke? Now for some reason that's a familiar name... Oh yeah he's the guy that saved 40 plus games all the time except when some manager messed him up in '02.

Just to make you feel better, the AAAA Twins shelled Foulke today in an ST game:

IP H R ER BB SO HR
1 3 4 4 1 1 0

CubKilla
03-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
he went on to say he didn't want the 100mph Koch, he wants a Koch who can pitch and get guys out and stay under control. what do you guys think.

I think it won't take long for Botch to get shelled.

I hope Ozzie wasn't looking for the 100 MPH Botch..... he left the ballpark in 2002 after choking it up against MIN in the ALDS.

Would have been nice if a certain cheapskate would have acquired someone like URBINA for some back-up insurance.

:reinsy

"Hey..... it's me you're talking about!"