PDA

View Full Version : ESPN giving the kid some props

SEALgep
03-25-2004, 12:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2004/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=1766168

Sweeney looking solid.

soltrain21
03-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Hmm, you really gotta wonder if they are going to resign Mags...

Tekijawa
03-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Great Article... Wonder why Rodgers didn't print it in the local rag?

SoxxoS
03-25-2004, 01:09 PM
IF he tears it up in High A, get promoted to Birmingham, tears it up there, and we are in the playoffs come September, do we have a Miguel Cabrera on our hands?

I don't want to rush him either, but he seems to have the makeup...who knows. Big speculation at this point, more so about the playoff thing. :smile:

pudge
03-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Is he really starting in high A? Isn't he good enough for Birm. at least?

SoxxoS
03-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Is he really starting in high A? Isn't he good enough for Birm. at least?

He will probably pound high A pitching, and get promoted to Birmingham sooner rather than later. Don't forget, he's only 19.

habibharu
03-25-2004, 01:34 PM
we cant rush this kid. otherwise he's gonna be another:
:rauch

ChiSox14305635
03-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Great Article... Wonder why Rodgers didn't print it in the local rag?

Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but this article was a rehash of the Trib article he wrote about a week and a half ago. He probably put it in there to give Pawtucket Gammons another player to convince the Yankees and Red Sox to steal down the road.

guillen4life13
03-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by habibharu

The reason Rauch has had so many problems is mainly because he tore his labrum in 2001. That tends to set lots of guys off track. And it's an injury that only usually happens to pitchers, so I don't think there should be any worries about rushing a hitter. Pitchers should be taken slowly, but if a hitter proves he's ready, then he should be in the bigs.

ChiSox14305635
03-25-2004, 01:54 PM
And it's funny how in Philly Stark's "Rumblings and Grumblings" column, his list of 6 players with eye-opening springs, not only didn't mention Sweeney, but had 4 of the 6 players from either the AL East or NL East. And you knew he couldn't do an article without listing a Phillie on there.

ShoelessFred
03-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
IF he tears it up in High A, get promoted to Birmingham, tears it up there, and we are in the playoffs come September, do we have a Miguel Cabrera on our hands?

I don't want to rush him either, but he seems to have the makeup...who knows. Big speculation at this point, more so about the playoff thing. :smile:

*puts on Jim Mora Sr. mask*

PLAYOFFS?!!?

jeremyb1
03-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by habibharu

Yeah because guys tend to have a much better chance of injuring their shoulder in AA than A ball.

jeremyb1
03-25-2004, 06:16 PM
Sweeney was also featured in a blurb by Bob Nightengale in today's Sports Weekly quoting a scout as refering to him as "a god" and saying there's nothing he can't do.

SEALgep
03-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Sweeney was also featured in a blurb by Bob Nightengale in today's Sports Weekly quoting a scout as refering to him as "a god" and saying there's nothing he can't do. Can you throw a link about it? I'd like to check it out. Thanks.

jeremyb1
03-25-2004, 08:15 PM
I don't believe its online but here's the exact transcript:

Few young players are garnering more attention in the Cactus League this spring than 19-year old outfielder Ryan Sweeney of the White Sox and 18-year old Diamondbacks right-hander Adriano Rosario.
Sweeney, who was a second-round pick out of Ceder Rapids, Iowa, has already passed $5.5 million bonus baby Joe Borchard and everyone else in the White Sox's farm system. He's expected to open the year in Class A but could be in the majors by the end of the season.
"To me, he's ready right now," one veteran American League scout says. "The guy is a god. There's nothing he can't do."

soltrain21
03-25-2004, 08:22 PM
I don't believe its online but here's the exact transcript:

Few young players are garnering more attention in the Cactus League this spring than 19-year old outfielder Ryan Sweeney of the White Sox and 18-year old Diamondbacks right-hander Adriano Rosario.
Sweeney, who was a second-round pick out of Ceder Rapids, Iowa, has already passed $5.5 million bonus baby Joe Borchard and everyone else in the White Sox's farm system. He's expected to open the year in Class A but could be in the majors by the end of the season.
"To me, he's ready right now," one veteran American League scout says. "The guy is a god. There's nothing he can't do."

I honestly do NOT see them resigning Magglio for this reason alone...very interesting..

batmanZoSo
03-25-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by soltrain21
I honestly do NOT see them resigning Magglio for this reason alone...very interesting..

I've never heard a prospect referred to as a "god."

Has he ever worked as a carpenter?

MRKARNO
03-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

Well Prior has been refered to as Jesus, so this isn't breaking new ground.

soltrain21
03-25-2004, 09:05 PM
This brings up an interesting argument...

Could Jesus strike out God?

I think he could if his slider is working...

voodoochile
03-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo

From the sound of that article, he's been doing a little wood work.

I just thought that Hemond compared him to Haaarold. Nice to know we've got a future bench coach in the making... :D:

Seriously though, if this kid turns into 3/4ths of the ballplayer that Haaarold was, he will be just fine...

MRKARNO
03-25-2004, 09:39 PM
This is going to soften the blow by the likely departure of Magglio Ordonez. If he can come up and be like a Miguel Cabrera and we can take the money we were paying to Maggs and put it into a high quality starting pitcher, we could be in business. This Organization is not at a loss for quality hitting but is at a loss for quality pitching.

I would love to see Maggs back, but I dont really see it happening if Maggs goes to the open market and the Sox dont offer arbitration.

In my ideal world I see the White Sox shocking the world by getting Pedro Martinez while having Sweeney replace Maggs.

SoxxoS
03-25-2004, 09:56 PM
Don't get your hopes up guys, something bad will happen. It's the nature of being a Sox fan.

MRKARNO
03-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Don't get your hopes up guys, something bad will happen. It's the nature of being a Sox fan.

Probably. But if nothing does happen we could have a league superstar

batmanZoSo
03-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
From the sound of that article, he's been doing a little wood work.

I just thought that Hemond compared him to Haaarold. Nice to know we've got a future bench coach in the making... :D:

Seriously though, if this kid turns into 3/4ths of the ballplayer that Haaarold was, he will be just fine...

I'm pretty sure I saw him hit on TV, and he reminded me of a more athletic John Olerud. Or a healthy Larry Walker (with Montreal). He's got a big open stance doesn't he?

sas1974
03-26-2004, 12:14 PM

That is a HUGE compliment. I can't say I have heard too many critiques like that about a player so young. Ya just hope HE isn't reading this stuff. I can't say that I am really to write off Maggs for this kid yet, but we have been looking for a CFer...

hold2dibber
03-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
That is a HUGE compliment. I can't say I have heard too many critiques like that about a player so young. Ya just hope HE isn't reading this stuff. I can't say that I am really to write off Maggs for this kid yet, but we have been looking for a CFer...

Hopefully the scout who said it wasn't one of the same scouts that thought Scott Ruffcorn was the next Don Drysdale.

sas1974
03-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Hopefully the scout who said it wasn't one of the same scouts that thought Scott Ruffcorn was the next Don Drysdale.

He would have been if he wasn't so awful. :D: