View Full Version : On the Score

SEALgep
03-25-2004, 11:11 AM
Guillen's on right now.

sas1974
03-25-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Guillen's on right now.

Can you please provide an update when you get a chance?

Gammons Peter
03-25-2004, 11:17 AM
AND A TRANSLATOR

Baby Fisk
03-25-2004, 11:23 AM
...and a 5 second delay for the kiddies.

SEALgep
03-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Same old same old, pretty much. They are talking about how he can handle the pitching staff, relationship with Frank. The score guys are actually being positive and nice to Ozzie. They were the last interview as well. Maybe the Sox bashing rom them will come to an end, or at least be limited. I caught it late so I'll see what else they talk about here in a second.

Baby Fisk
03-25-2004, 11:27 AM
I think Ozzie's make or break will be his handling of pitching. Not just the bullpen either. If the #4 & 5 starters get shelled in April and Ozzie keeps blowing smoke about how great they are, that will be a bad sign. There have been early (and I acknowledge, PREMATURE) signs of that in ST.

jabrch
03-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
I think Ozzie's make or break will be his handling of pitching. Not just the bullpen either. If the #4 & 5 starters get shelled in April and Ozzie keeps blowing smoke about how great they are, that will be a bad sign. There have been early (and I acknowledge, PREMATURE) signs of that in ST.

why is that Ozzie's fault? A manager has to back his guys in public. The fact that the 4 and 5 starters suck has little to do with Ozzie.

I want my manager to always support his guys. He has no other choice - unless he is given other guys to support. I don't mind him trying to blow smoke up our backs. Smart fans know when he is puffing just to support his guys - and when he is right.

Baby Fisk
03-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
why is that Ozzie's fault? A manager has to back his guys in public. The fact that the 4 and 5 starters suck has little to do with Ozzie.

I want my manager to always support his guys. He has no other choice - unless he is given other guys to support. I don't mind him trying to blow smoke up our backs. Smart fans know when he is puffing just to support his guys - and when he is right.

Of course I want Ozzie backing our pitchers -- what I don't want is him blowing smoke IF they start getting shelled, ie. denying reality. Of course I don't want him to start ripping players in public, I just don't want him selling crappy goods as if they're golden. Does that make any sense??? :?:

sas1974
03-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Same old same old, pretty much. They are talking about how he can handle the pitching staff, relationship with Frank. The score guys are actually being positive and nice to Ozzie. They were the last interview as well. Maybe the Sox bashing rom them will come to an end, or at least be limited. I caught it late so I'll see what else they talk about here in a second.

I think people are starting to see that we may be a little better than has been reported and these guys are just covering their @sses now so they can say they were on board all along.

Frater Perdurabo
03-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Of course I want Ozzie backing our pitchers -- what I don't want is him blowing smoke IF they start getting shelled, ie. denying reality. Of course I don't want him to start ripping players in public, I just don't want him selling crappy goods as if they're golden. Does that make any sense??? :?:

Actually, if given the choice I'd rather have Ozzie ripping into players who underperform in the confines of the clubhouse or his office, not in the media at all. I don't care what he blows up our backs as long as he manages the team well and makes the best of the available talent.

jabrch
03-25-2004, 11:53 AM

Baby, that's his job. All managers do that - at least the good ones do. Take a look at the guy on the North side - did he ever rip Estes or Alfoneca when they sucked eggs? No - because players see that and notice it. I want Ozzie defending these guys IN PUBLIC no matter what happens. I don't want him ripping on Schoenweiss every time he has a bad outing - that's the job of the broadcast team, and the beat writers, not the manager.

jabrch
03-25-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Actually, if given the choice I'd rather have Ozzie ripping into players who underperform in the confines of the clubhouse or his office, not in the media at all. I don't care what he blows up our backs as long as he manages the team well and makes the best of the available talent.

YES!

chisoxt
03-25-2004, 12:16 PM

I like the approach that the Sox organization is apparently taking in being more willing to talk with the Score people. KW's interview yesterday was a step in the right direction. I have always felt that the less of a 'bunker mentality' the organization uses, probably the less they get bashed when things do go sour. When times are tough, the worst thing that you can do is hide from the media. Having said that, we'll see what happens when the season gets rolling and the wheels fall off of the apple cart.

Also, as discussed in another thread, the alterior motive in all this is that the Sox will probably be actively shopping for a new radio suitor once the MVP contract expires, so they are probably realizing that there aren't too many suitable outlets available, and that it's perhaps best to mend some fence.

sas1974
03-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I don't want him ripping on Schoenweiss every time he has a bad outing - that's the job of the broadcast team, and the beat writers, not the manager.

And all of us here at WSI! :D:

Maximo
03-25-2004, 12:31 PM
What's ironic about all of this is that you can feel a definite shift in the mood of the fandom of the two Chicago baseball teams within the past couple of weeks.

Two months ago most Sox fans....myself included....were bitching about the lack of positive news coming from the Southside while Cub fans were just euphoric about the state of affairs in Wrigleyville.

It's pretty apparent.....at this moment in time.....that things appear to be doing a flip-flop. Obviously, the season hasn't started yet......but you can feel something in the air.

I'm even somewhat convinced that if the Sox can hang in there for a couple of months, KW might be allowed to once again pull the trigger to get us an impact player or pitcher to keep us there.

Meanwhile on the other side of town......too many issues are beginning to crop up. Prior's injury.....roid' speculation.....already have it in the bag mentality.....

This could get interesting.......

And I still don't like Reinsdorf.

Mickster
03-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Maximo
And I still don't like Reinsdorf.

:D:

habibharu
03-25-2004, 12:41 PM
he also said that uribe will likely be the opening day second baseman. but only beacause they will be facing a lefty. he says that willie is still the starter