03-25-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
What is your all-time favorite fan Banner

How about:
"Welcome Annual Pennant Chokers," directed at the Royals in
the late '70s.

"Oh-oh-oh For The Long One" 'Nuff said.

"Good Morning, Ralph," directed at Ralph Garr in LF, who was
often slow on the draw to go after a ball.

I'm sure there are others that'll come to me after I've posted this.

- tebman

Frater Perdurabo
03-25-2004, 08:35 AM
I think Hangar's "Entertain me with your Corked Bat" banner directed at Sosa ought to be an option.

Dick Allen
03-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Back in the late 60's for Ed Herrmann - "Sup-herrmann". You had to be there, I guess.

MarqSox
03-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I think Hangar's "Entertain me with your Corked Bat" banner directed at Sosa ought to be an option.
That one had me laughing all day.

Still, you can't beat :thankgod

Frater Perdurabo
03-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
That one had me laughing all day.

Still, you can't beat :thankgod

Yes, there are plenty of great banners. You'd never see such wit at the Urinal (unless its a Sox fan there for a Sox-Cubs game!)

white sox bill
03-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Two from the 70's:

"Downings astounding!"

"Chets no Lemon"

onenine19
03-25-2004, 08:50 AM
o-o-oh for the long one!

tebman
03-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by onenine19
o-o-oh for the long one!

Ahh, there it is! Nice catch.

It really is true -- you don't see that kind of genuine wit
at Wiggly Field or hardly anywhere else.

- tebman

TornLabrum
03-25-2004, 09:20 AM
I used to like the eye chart they'd hang on the wall after a bad call. The first several lines spelled out: "EXAMPLE OF A BAD CALL UMP."

In 1990 after Dave Stewart commented to the media that nobody on the Sox was good enough to hold his jock strap, some fans in the upper deck got their revenge when the Sox shelled Stewart and he was removed from the game, hanging a giant jock strap from the upper deck railing.

Sure beats the Shawon-o-meter.

skottyj242
03-25-2004, 09:28 AM
I liked Hangar's last year at the Friday game:

STEROIDS + CORK = SOSA

I can't remember the other one but it was something like this:

PISS OFF THE LOCAL MEDIA: ROOT FOR THE WHITE SOX

Irishsox1
03-25-2004, 09:38 AM
The Sox banner that appears on TV more than any other is DISCO SUCKS from the infamous double header.

jackbrohamer
03-25-2004, 10:50 AM
IIRC these were all Sox Supporters signs, they were always in left field in the 1970s and had great signs. Wish they were still around, they were incredibly clever.

Some other signs they had: "Cowens the Coward" after KC's Al Cowens attacked Bart Johnson from behind

An obtuse one: "Last year we took a Gamble to get Rich, this year we're putting our money in Bonds" after they lost Richie Zisk & Oscar Gamble after '77 and traded for Bobby Bonds (that sign didn't get used much).

Drawing of a hot dog with Reggie Jackson's head on top, and underneath "Money can't buy me love" from 1977

jackbrohamer
03-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by tebman
How about:
"Welcome Annual Pennant Chokers," directed at the Royals in
the late '70s.

KC won the division but lost in the playoffs in '76, '77 & '78. I rember reading in about '79 that Hal McRae and some other KC players (Jamie Quirk I think) pulled the banner down before a game and tore it up

tebman
03-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
IIRC these were all Sox Supporters signs, they were always in left field in the 1970s and had great signs. Wish they were still around, they were incredibly clever.

Some other signs they had: "Cowens the Coward" after KC's Al Cowens attacked Bart Johnson from behind

An obtuse one: "Last year we took a Gamble to get Rich, this year we're putting our money in Bonds" after they lost Richie Zisk & Oscar Gamble after '77 and traded for Bobby Bonds (that sign didn't get used much).

Drawing of a hot dog with Reggie Jackson's head on top, and underneath "Money can't buy me love" from 1977

The Sox Supporters bunch were a clever lot. Somehow they
never achieved the cachet of the Bleacher Bums, though.
I wonder why?

One correction to your post, though. It was Ed Farmer who was
attacked by Cowens, not Bart Johnson. I was at that game -- it
was very bizarre.

- tebman

batmanZoSo
03-25-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
What is your all-time favorite fan Banner

TRADE REINSDORF. --94

jackbrohamer
03-25-2004, 11:43 AM
[i]One correction to your post, though. It was Ed Farmer who was attacked by Cowens, not Bart Johnson. I was at that game -- it was very bizarre.- tebman [/B]

Thanks, I should also have called him "the late Al Cowens."

I vaguely recall a fight in the late 1970s that started when someone shoved Bart Johnson from behind on a play at 1st base. Can't remember who it was

uribe151
03-25-2004, 11:51 AM
wow it was a long time ago, but it was INTENSE!!

don buford (ex-sox) versus bart johnson

as i recall, mr. buford got the best of it.

DirtySouthsider
03-25-2004, 12:23 PM
"Yuppie Scum Go Back to Wrigley!!"

This was a sign back in 1990, the last year od Ol' Comiskey. when the Sox were having a great year and drawing very well in the race with the A's.

Also....."Boom Baines"

TornLabrum
03-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by DirtySouthsider
"Yuppie Scum Go Back to Wrigley!!"

This was a sign back in 1990, the last year od Ol' Comiskey. when the Sox were having a great year and drawing very well in the race with the A's.

That was another of my favorites that year. I think that was unveiled about the same time as Dave Stewart's XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXL jock.

Railsplitter
03-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Those five are so high on my list, it's hard for me to decide among them. It seems to me that back in the day (Channel 44) you saw more banners than you do today.

WSox8404
03-25-2004, 02:35 PM
"FIRE BEVINGTON!!!"

That was in the upper deck in the right field corner so Bev could see it too. I thought it was hilarious.

Hangar18
03-25-2004, 03:34 PM
CUT PAYROLL, TRADE REINSDORF
seen as early as 1992

cheeses_h_rice
03-25-2004, 04:24 PM
From the very first Flubs/Sox series at Comiskey in '97:

WELCOME, NORTH SIDE LEMMINGS.

munchman33
03-25-2004, 05:30 PM
I remember the Elvis night after the White Flag trade some kid had a sign that said "Reinsdorf Killed Elvis."

Thought that was kind of funny.

billnahorodny
03-25-2004, 07:03 PM
IIRC...didn't they used to have banner days back during the Southside Hitmen days? I don't quite remember what would go on. But I have a vague recollection of a mini-parade of banners being displayed before the game.

blueeyes33
03-26-2004, 01:14 AM
i wish people had more banners goin on.u should havesome WSI banners bustin out .i saw one that said god save the sox or something like that. and kill reinsdorf.

BeerHandle
03-26-2004, 08:29 AM
I am biased because it was my group with the two signs that got the most attention from the media last year as we were trying to make our playoff run.

Sign One
"Colon Smells Pennant" Get the inside joke...

Sign Two
Picture- Twinkie the Cowboy
Text- Sox Eat Twinkies

Look for our signs in Section 161, Row 2 Split Season Package (Hit and Run)

1951Campbell
03-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Stewart's jock.

KingXerxes
03-26-2004, 10:23 AM
Maybe I don't remember correctly, but didn't the Claudell Washington banner simply read "Washington Slept Here!"?

Before the White Sox let Harry Caray go, WGN had named Milo Hamilton as the upcoming television play by play man (Jack Brickhouse was retiring). When Caray became available, WGN snatched him up, and made him the play by play television guy (IIRC it was around 1982). Milo Hamilton had a fit, and made no bones about the fact that he was PO'ed. When Caray sang the in the seventh inning, everybody in the park would be standing except for Hamilton who would sit in the booth ignoring the whole thing.

Well one day I'm at my uncle's house (huge Cubs fan) and he's got the Cubs game on. During the seventh inning stretch, the camera is panning around Wrigley showing the different fans and banners that they had brought. They end up focusing on a group of guys holding a banner saying something "Yaaaaaa - Go Cubs", when all of a sudden these guys realize that they're on the television - they drop the front of their banner and it becomes apparent that they have a banner in back of that which reads "Milo Hamilton is a Big Baby". The cameraman (or the guys in the truck) must not have realized it, because they left it on for a full three or four seconds which is an eternity on something like that.

I have to admit that it was funny. It's the first banner I've ever seen that took a shot at an announcer.