PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Prices...

hsnterprize
03-25-2004, 08:39 AM
Here's something interesting...

I was looking at all the MLB.com team sites because I was interested in how other teams charge for their single-game tickets. I'm sure many of you already know this, but the Sox aren't the only team that charges more for the same seat when a different opponent comes to town. In fact, I've learned that 9 teams have different ticket rates depending on either the day of the week, or the opponent. Now, I'm not talking about discount promotions like "half price nights" or other promotions where tickets are LOWER than normal. Just about every team does that to a certain degree. I'm referring to when teams charge MORE for the same seat when teams like say, the Cubs or Yankees visit versus the Devil Rays and Expos.

Needless to say, both the Cubs and White Sox have such days when they'll charge more for a seat depending on the day of the week or the opponent. The Cubs, for example, have 3 different single-game rates..."regular" game rates against National League East and West teams, only a handful of "value" games against teams like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Arizona, and San Francisco, and "prime" games against NL Central opponents and the Sox. The Sox, however, charge more for the same seat on Saturdays and Sundays.

Remember, I'm talking about single-game tickets purchased here...not season tickets, which are generally lower per game. And...many teams offer discounted ticket days, whether consistently like the Sox do, or on occassion like the Cubs and Baltimore Orioles.

Here's the rundown...the Arizona Diamondbacks charge more for "weekend" games than "weekday" games. Tickets are either $1 to $2 more on the weekend than weekday. The uppermost seats stay the same. Atlanta charges about $3 more for "premium" games than "regular" ones. "Premium" games are Saturday and Sunday games along with their 7/4 game vs. Boston (how ironic...the 4th of July is on a SUNDAY). Colorado has prices in 4 categories..."value", "premium", "classic", and "marquee". There's no indication which games fall under what categories, but the price increases vary depending on where fans sit. Rockpile seats (center field bleachers) don't change at all. Some "reserve seats" increase by $2 from value to premium, while certain "mezzanine" seats go up to a $10 increase. The Mets have 4 price ranges, called "Value", "Bronze", "Silver", and "Gold". Those games are determined by opponents, with the "Value" prices, ranging from $5 to $38, for games against teams like Cleveland, Montreal, and San Diego for example, and "Gold" games, with prices from $16 to $53, against the Cubs, Yankees, Marlins, Braves, and Phillies.

San Francisco, like the Sox, have ticket prices for weekday and weekend games. Monday through Thursday are between $2 to $5 cheaper than Friday, Saturday, and Sunday games. Tampa Bay's games are mostly "regular" games, but they have 21 "prime" games along with 12 "value" games (similar to half-price nights). The prime game tix are $3 to $10 more than regular price, with opponents like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Giants. Finally, Toronto offers Saturday and Sunday "premium" games, with tickets ranging from $9 to $60 (not sure if American or Canadian).

Lots of reading. But my point is our team isn't the only one that's taking advantage of charging more for higher demand games. I'm sure many of you already knew that, but I thought I'd spell it out for everyone. Keep that in mind if/when you decide to follow the Sox on the road.

ewokpelts
03-25-2004, 11:03 AM
It's funny that Tampa would charge more for the only games that they draw a decent crowd.
Gene

Paulwny
03-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
It's funny that Tampa would charge more for the only games that they draw a decent crowd.
Gene

Retirees from NYC and New England States living in FL, they'll attend these games no matter the cost.