PDA

View Full Version : Worst White Sox Uniforms

ivancalderon
03-25-2004, 01:40 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy a hat from the late '80s with the "Einhorn C" on it? I've been looking around on the internet and haven't had much luck.

:andy

HITMEN OF 77
03-25-2004, 02:03 AM
Try eBay, they always have throwback Sox hats on there, or dugoutmemories.com. That "C" was taken from the 60's road uni's the Sox wore.

ihatethecubs
03-25-2004, 02:32 AM
grandstand has a bunch. the answer is always grandstand for any sox merchandise.

hempsox
03-25-2004, 07:41 AM
I have one and got it off ebay. They are slightly hard to find so you may want to go with the suggestion in the previous post.

eriqjaffe
03-25-2004, 08:23 AM
Distant Replays has them on their site for $25 here (http://www.distantreplays.com/distant/product.asp?s%5Fid=0&dept%5Fid=3094&pf%5Fid=PAAAAAIOAIJKKFAF&sku=660), but here's hoping you wear a size 7 3/8, since that's all they have in stock.

You can also get them from the Cooperstown Ballcap Company (http://www.ballcap.com), but they're pricey ($44 plus s/h), since each cap is made-to-order, but they are extremely well-made caps. My '72 Atlanta Braves cap is easily the highest quality cap I own.

It's always a good idea to poke through their "factory seconds", where they sell caps that were returned due to them being the wrontg size, and they sell 'em for a more reasonable $22.

Personally, I'd prefer the Cooperstown, but Distant Replays certainly has the price advantage.

--Eriq.

doublem23
03-25-2004, 08:49 AM
The "E" hat and uniform were some of the best man. This team has a long history of fashion mistakes, let's not start insulting the good ones, too. :smile:

Brian26
03-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by eriqjaffe
Distant Replays has them on their site for $25 here (http://www.distantreplays.com/distant/product.asp?s%5Fid=0&dept%5Fid=3094&pf%5Fid=PAAAAAIOAIJKKFAF&sku=660), but here's hoping you wear a size 7 3/8, since that's all they have in stock.

You can also get them from the Cooperstown Ballcap Company (http://www.ballcap.com), but they're pricey ($44 plus s/h), since each cap is made-to-order, but they are extremely well-made caps. My '72 Atlanta Braves cap is easily the highest quality cap I own.

It's always a good idea to poke through their "factory seconds", where they sell caps that were returned due to them being the wrontg size, and they sell 'em for a more reasonable $22.

Personally, I'd prefer the Cooperstown, but Distant Replays certainly has the price advantage.

--Eriq.

Let me just add this-

Hats are really strange. Sometimes a size from the New Era Line will fit you beautifully, but a Cooperstown hat with the same size won't. It's almost preferable if you can try it on in person before you buy it.

With that in mind, if you're buying anything online, make sure you're getting something that was made recently...not made in 1988, for example. The distantreplays.com might be an example of this, where the company just has an overstock of 16 year old caps that they are trying to get rid of. Nobody wants to wear a cap that was actually made that long ago. Caps are made much better now quality-wise. Ideally, you want to purchase a throwback cap that was made recently. That's why I like the suggestion of going through the Cooperstown website. For example, some of the official caps made back in the late 80's actually had a vinyl liner on the inside of them (super uncomfortable). The recently made Cooperstown caps have cloth liners more similar to today's NEW Era caps. Also, under the bill on the old 80's caps, the color was generally GREEN. The new caps by New Era have grey as the primary color under the bill....looks a lot better IMHO. Just some things to watch for.

Just my opinion.

Baby Fisk
03-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Great points made by Brian above.

I second the suggestion of Dugout Memories.com (http://www.dugout-memories.com/chisox.html). They've got a great selection of Sox caps and other gear, but unfortunately not the Curly C cap. Most of their Sox caps are made by American Needle, which I've taken a liking to. The caps are modern quality with raised logos and a nice fit -- snug but not tight. Granted, these are REPRODUCTIONS of old caps and so do not look exactly like something worn by Carlton Fisk in 1983 or Dick Allen in 1972 -- in my opinion they look even better because of the better quality of design and manufacture.

The Critic
03-25-2004, 09:37 AM
MAN OH MAN, they have the zipper-front '72 ROAD jersey!!!
If I had 365 to blow on nothin', I'd grab that jersey this second!!

Baby Fisk
03-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by The Critic
MAN OH MAN, they have the zipper-front '72 ROAD jersey!!!
If I had 365 to blow on nothin', I'd grab that jersey this second!!
Tell me about it -- that site is torture.
(Altho I did buy the navy 1980 Fisk jersey for myself for Xmas!) I plan to wear it next time I make it to USCF. :cool:

batmanZoSo
03-25-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
The "E" hat and uniform were some of the best man. This team has a long history of fashion mistakes, let's not start insulting the good ones, too. :smile:

yeah, that and the columbia and navy blue road uniforms from the 60s. They were really on a roll with uniforms until then. They should've never changed the 59 black and reds.

Brian26
03-25-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Great points made by Brian above.

I second the suggestion of Dugout Memories.com (http://www.dugout-memories.com/chisox.html). They've got a great selection of Sox caps and other gear, but unfortunately not the Curly C cap. Most of their Sox caps are made by American Needle, which I've taken a liking to. The caps are modern quality with raised logos and a nice fit -- snug but not tight

Ah- this is an excellent point by Baby Fisk too. The raised logos are awesome looking, and they're always a neat trick to figure out if a hat is recently made. There was a vendor at Soxfest selling old hats from the Cooperstown line. You could easily tell the hats were at least 10 years old, if not older, because the logos or insignias on the front were all sown into the caps. I bought a '59 Sox cap from Nordstroms about a year ago (great deal too) and it has the raised logo...looks sweet.

Brian26
03-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Tell me about it -- that site is torture.
(Altho I did buy the navy 1980 Fisk jersey for myself for Xmas!) I plan to wear it next time I make it to USCF. :cool:

Do they call it a 1980 Fisk jersey? Since his first day with the Sox was April 10, 1981, that jersey is really a collector's item :)

Baby Fisk
03-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Do they call it a 1980 Fisk jersey? Since his first day with the Sox was April 10, 1981, that jersey is really a collector's item :)
Yes -- it is an error on the part of the Cooperstown folks who made the jersey.

Brian26
03-25-2004, 11:24 AM
Yes -- it is an error on the part of the Cooperstown folks who made the jersey.

This is how much of a detailed eye I have, or maybe a sign of how crazy I am ... :D:

While watching the ESPN Classic tape from Sunday of the Sox/Red Sox game from '81, I noticed the back of Hoyt and Fisk's jerseys. Both guys have 4 letters in their last name, but Fisk's letters were sown on closely together, while Hoyt's were sown on with about a letter's space in between each letter so it took up the entire back of the jersey. I don't think the quality and standards back then were even remotely close to what they are today on the small uniform details.

Also noticed that Britt Burns had bobbie-pins in his hat to keep it on.

Baby Fisk
03-25-2004, 11:36 AM
This is how much of a detailed eye I have, or maybe a sign of how crazy I am ... :D:

While watching the ESPN Classic tape from Sunday of the Sox/Red Sox game from '81, I noticed the back of Hoyt and Fisk's jerseys. Both guys have 4 letters in their last name, but Fisk's letters were sown on closely together, while Hoyt's were sown on with about a letter's space in between each letter so it took up the entire back of the jersey. I don't think the quality and standards back then were even remotely close to what they are today on the small uniform details.

Also noticed that Britt Burns had bobbie-pins in his hat to keep it on.

LOL don't worry, I'm the same. I bought the American Needle version of the 1971-1975 red Sox cap and have obsessed over how the raised logo looks slightly different than the sown-on logo did in the 70s. There's a different curve to the "S" which bugs me.

Poor ivancalderon -- all he wanted was a Curly C cap and he unleashed a torrent of blather from anal retentive Sox fans! :D:

Brian26
03-25-2004, 12:50 PM
LOL don't worry, I'm the same. I bought the American Needle version of the 1971-1975 red Sox cap and have obsessed over how the raised logo looks slightly different than the sown-on logo did in the 70s. There's a different curve to the "S" which bugs me.

Poor ivancalderon -- all he wanted was a Curly C cap and he unleashed a torrent of blather from anal retentive Sox fans! :D:

LOL.

I actually know what you mean about the Old English S. Hopefully they at least got this portion right - the '71 hat didn't have the extra tail thing coming off the "S" like the current hats do.

Baby Fisk
03-25-2004, 01:03 PM
LOL.

I actually know what you mean about the Old English S. Hopefully they at least got this portion right - the '71 hat didn't have the extra tail thing coming off the "S" like the current hats do.
It sort of did, but I'm bugged by the top curve of the S on the new hats -- it's a sharper arc than on the originals. I never thought I'd have this conversation!

Uh...how 'bout that Sweeney kid?! :D:

Brian26
03-25-2004, 01:16 PM
LOL. I'll have to take a look at a picture of it again :D:

WSox8404
03-25-2004, 02:38 PM
How about the years when they wore shorts? Classic uniforms there.

TornLabrum
03-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
How about the years when they wore shorts? Classic uniforms there.

They wore shorts for one game in 1976.