PDA

View Full Version : Worst Uniforms in MLB?

Baby Fisk
03-24-2004, 12:02 PM
The Sox unies have received a resounding vote of support in another thread. Which team has the worst unies in baseball?

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-24-2004, 12:08 PM
on that list, the blue jays. The worst are the new road padre unis. They're sand color. Yuck!

Fridaythe13thJason
03-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Whoever voted for the A's has a serious problem.

jabrch
03-24-2004, 12:23 PM
I don't like the Cubs - but their jerseys really aren't that bad. Not nearly as bad as TB, AZ, etc.

And I agree with Jason - Oakland's jerseys are not close to bad either.

The_Floridian
03-24-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks for throwing Cleveland on there for the reasons mentioned. You could throw the Atlanta Braves on there for the same reason.

"But those mascots HONOR Native Americans!"

Palehose13
03-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by UICJason

I am one, sorry but green and yellow look awful together (IMHO).

Jerko
03-24-2004, 12:53 PM
I could do without the Giants cream colored unis, and the new Padres and Blue Jays don't look so good either. Not a fan of the Reds uni's either.

sas1974
03-24-2004, 12:53 PM

They need to ditch the white shoes.

Baby Fisk
03-24-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by The_Floridian
Thanks for throwing Cleveland on there for the reasons mentioned. You could throw the Atlanta Braves on there for the same reason.

"But those mascots HONOR Native Americans!"
Ironically, the American League baseball club used to be called the Spiders, but they renamed their club the Indians in tribute to a native american who played for the team. I'll try to track down the details.

If Oakland went with dark green and gold, their uniforms would rock. But because they go with Finley's stupid Green and bright yellow combo, those uniforms suck. The white shoes don't help either.

doublem23
03-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Do the Indians still use Chief Wahoo? I thought he had kind of been retired quietly and now they mostly use their crazy "I" hats and Jndian jerseys. Ditto the Braves, who still have the tomahawk, but don't use the screaming brave face that they did even a decade ago.

Anyway, the A's jerseys are sweet as hell. The Cubs really aren't that bad any more, now that they are button-up and they've lost those horrendous road jerseys from the mid-90s that had "Cubs" in ungodly large script across the chest. They were truly terrible. As for the other teams in the list, the only real problem I ever had with the Diamondbacks was the fact they had like 80 million different jersey/hat combinations since they used like 4 different tops and mixed them with their endless array of hats at will. Stick to a ****ing base design people.

I can't really think of a jersey I particularly dislike in the MLB right now based on just look, but I can tell you I am growing old of teams incorporating black into their uniforms for no reason whatsoever (see the Reds, Royals, and Mets for good examples). I would probably have to agree that the new "sand" Padre road jerseys are the ugliest in baseball, though I really haven't taken a good look at the new Blue Jay jerseys I hear are probably as bad.

EDIT... Whoops, this was on the front page of the Indians official site. I guess that answered that question.
http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/images/2004/03/24/AHSDiVMf.jpg

MarqSox
03-24-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Ironically, the American League baseball club used to be called the Spiders, but they renamed their club the Indians in tribute to a native american who played for the team. I'll try to track down the details.
Ya, but the logo is atrociously racist. If you're going to "honor" a group like that, at least use something realistic and dignified.

Baby Fisk
03-24-2004, 01:09 PM

as promised...

Why is the Cleveland team called the Indians? (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/42112_aguy10.shtml)

The tribute is a nice sentiment, but that grinning Wahoo caricature is horrible.

sas1974
03-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Ya, but the logo is atrociously racist. If you're going to "honor" a group like that, at least use something realistic and dignified.

Agreed. Similar to the Blackhawks logo. Although w/ the way they play, I am not sure they are actually honoring them.

Hangar18
03-24-2004, 01:15 PM

If Oakland went with dark green and gold, their uniforms would rock. But because they go with Finley's stupid Green and bright yellow combo, those uniforms suck. The white shoes don't help either.

The uniforms ARE DARK GREEN and GOLD now. They Used to be kelly green and gold. The uniforms look fine, and more importantly, they look original, esp the White Shoes. Thats their trademark.

CHISOXFAN13
03-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Do people really believe the Cubs have the worst uni's or is this the Cubs hate talking.

Not the greatest uni's, but certainly no worse than Arizona's, Tampa's or Toronto's.

Hangar18
03-24-2004, 01:17 PM
the home cub uniform is ugly and plain, but it is "classic".
they really look bad wth that blue pajama jersey. the practice jersey they wear, the one thats a navy blue and doesnt match the rest of their uniform iS AWFUL. arizona has ugly uniforms,
home and away. Tampas uni's are similarly Brutal.

Baby Fisk
03-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
The uniforms ARE DARK GREEN and GOLD now. They Used to be kelly green and gold. The uniforms look fine, and more importantly, they look original, esp the White Shoes. Thats their trademark.

Hangar dude, those unies are NOT gold.
It's still BRIGHT yellow. By gold I mean a deeper
shade, not what they have now. Those
YELLOW SOCKS and GREEN STIRRUPS
were awful too.

Funny enough, I'm a fountain of team trivia today:
Oakland's mascot, the ELEPHANT, has been the mascot of the
Athletics team since it was founded in PHILADELPHIA 100 years
ago. John McGraw of the NY Giants ridiculed Connie Mack's new
American League team, predicting that they would soon
become a WHITE ELEPHANT in the city of Philly compared
to the existing National League club. The team grasped
the insult like a BADGE OF HONOUR, and made the elephant
its mascot. Sure enough, the Athletics LEFT PHILLY
for Kansas in 1954 and lasted there for just over a decade,
then BOLTED for Oakland.

Iwritecode
03-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Agreed. Similar to the Blackhawks logo. Although w/ the way they play, I am not sure they are actually honoring them.

Are the Blackhawks actually named after the indian Blackhawk?

He was just a single man, not a tribe. Not even a chief for that matter.

I did a report on him once in college. I see a lot of stuff named after him on the west side of the state around the quad cities mostly.

Also in Wisconsin I camped at Blackhawk campgrounds for years.

MarqSox
03-24-2004, 01:46 PM
arizona has ugly uniforms,
home and away. Tampas uni's are similarly Brutal.
I dunno, maybe it's just the "New School" in me talking, but I think Arizona has some of the coolest uniforms in baseball, and I don't mind the new Tampa unis either.

Chisox353014
03-24-2004, 01:52 PM
For worst overall design, it has to be those new Blue Jay uniforms. If they wanted to look like a minor league team, they succeeded brilliantly.
Worst color combo is definitely Arizona. Teal was played out in 1992 for crying out loud.
Flat out ugliest is the Scrubs' blue nightmare jersey.

SoxFan76
03-24-2004, 02:03 PM
I don't get why Native Americans get so pissed about the indian teams. I've never heard an Irish guy get pissed because Notre Dame are called the Fighting Irish.

hftrex
03-24-2004, 02:06 PM
This is a toughie.

Back in the day, the answer to this question would have been a toss-up between Houston and Pittsburgh, but nowadays there are just so many ugly uniforms around, its difficult to pick out the absolute worst one.

Guess I'll go with Toronto.

ChiSox14305635
03-24-2004, 02:08 PM
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pG01-1331662dt.jpg

BLECH!!!!

TornLabrum
03-24-2004, 02:11 PM

The Cleveland American League club was never called the Spiders. They were an NL team that folded after the 1899 season after posting the worst record in the history of the major leagues (not counting the National Association). The Indians had previously been called the Blues and the Naps (after their star second baseman Napoleon "Larry" Lajoie.

Bobby Thigpen
03-24-2004, 02:11 PM
I would have to go with the Astros' red jerseys, the Royals' black jerseys, or the Padres' camo jerseys they wear every once and awhile.

sas1974
03-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
I dunno, maybe it's just the "New School" in me talking, but I think Arizona has some of the coolest uniforms in baseball, and I don't mind the new Tampa unis either.

I think Tampa's look much better w/o the rainbow devil ray.

Baby Fisk
03-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The Cleveland American League club was never called the Spiders. They were an NL team that folded after the 1899 season after posting the worst record in the history of the major leagues (not counting the National Association). The Indians had previously been called the Blues and the Naps (after their star second baseman Napoleon "Larry" Lajoie.
Nice catch, TL. I stand corrected.

Fridaythe13thJason
03-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
I don't get why Native Americans get so pissed about the indian teams. I've never heard an Irish guy get pissed because Notre Dame are called the Fighting Irish.

Couldn't tell ya about the Irish. I would be pissy if my culture was represented by a dancing leprechaun.

Fridaythe13thJason
03-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I am one, sorry but green and yellow look awful together (IMHO).

Wow, I have like a collection of green and gold t-shirts, they're the best things in the world.

ma_deuce
03-24-2004, 03:09 PM
The tribute is a nice sentiment, but that grinning Wahoo caricature is horrible.

What!?! Chief Wahoo, great leader!!!

Ha! One of my favorite Saturday Night Live skits.

Deuce

SoxFan76
03-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Couldn't tell ya about the Irish. I would be pissy if my culture was represented by a dancing leprechaun.

That's the thing, I am Irish, and I never thought twice about it being offensive until all this talk about the indian teams being offensive started up. It's a cartoon character. It doesn't bother me one bit.

Brian26
03-24-2004, 03:30 PM

Hangar nailed it. They are dark green and gold now, as opposed to the kelly green of the early 70's. The white shoes are classic, and the elephant on the sleeve is an awesome touch (a nod to the Philadelphia A's manager of many, many moons ago - Connie Mack).

Fridaythe13thJason
03-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
That's the thing, I am Irish, and I never thought twice about it being offensive until all this talk about the indian teams being offensive started up. It's a cartoon character. It doesn't bother me one bit.

But to each culture their own I suppose. You don't need to understand, just respect that some tribes are offended. Others are not. It should be respected either way.

HITMEN OF 77
03-24-2004, 04:58 PM
I think the Rays and A's have the worst. I did like the old KC A's jerseys from 1967, the white and green, those were cool!

Corlose 15
03-24-2004, 05:26 PM
My vote definitely goes to the Cubs

Those blue road unis are absolutely HIDEOUS . They are so boring, especially with straight gray pants. The home baby blue pinstripes aren't much better.

Palehose13
03-24-2004, 05:39 PM
Wow, I have like a collection of green and gold t-shirts, they're the best things in the world.
I could be biased by all the mustard and relish I see here in Milwaukee.

cubhater
03-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pG01-1331662dt.jpg

BLECH!!!!

This is the first time I saw the Padres' new uniform and it's my pick as the worst. Just when I thought they couldn't do worst than their old jerseys from the mid-80s.

whitesoxwilkes
03-24-2004, 07:26 PM
Hangar dude, those unies are NOT gold.
It's still BRIGHT yellow. By gold I mean a deeper
shade, not what they have now. Those
YELLOW SOCKS and GREEN STIRRUPS
were awful too.

Funny enough, I'm a fountain of team trivia today:
Oakland's mascot, the ELEPHANT, has been the mascot of the
Athletics team since it was founded in PHILADELPHIA 100 years
ago. John McGraw of the NY Giants ridiculed Connie Mack's new
American League team, predicting that they would soon
become a WHITE ELEPHANT in the city of Philly compared
to the existing National League club. The team grasped
the insult like a BADGE OF HONOUR, and made the elephant
its mascot. Sure enough, the Athletics LEFT PHILLY
for Kansas in 1954 and lasted there for just over a decade,
then BOLTED for Oakland.

LMAO!

I think that the Athletics were Forced to
leave Philadelphia under less than desirable Circumstances.
If I remember Correctly, there was a puppet Commissioner at
the Time who orchestrated a vast MEDIA conspiracy to move the
team away.

Railsplitter
03-24-2004, 09:19 PM
Worst Current uni: Tampa Bay
Worst Ever uni: Houston Astros Popsicle tops.
Worst Sox uni: 1982-86, the one being touted as "retro" nowadays.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-24-2004, 09:23 PM

those are packer colors and that name alone is enough to make my blood boil. argh

MikeW
03-24-2004, 10:17 PM
If you really want to see some ugly uniforms, check out some of the teams from 1970's. I can still see those old mustard colored ones the Padres wore, and the Indians roadies were awful with that crooked 'C' on their cap. What a sight to see Boog Powell in one of those.
Currently, back here in the East, the Mets have at least 15 different combinations and the story is so they can make a few bucks on all the variations.

huskie26
03-25-2004, 08:05 AM
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/images/2004/03/24/DHJ83wnc.jpg

These are the worst. As for an everyday jersey, those new jays ones are pretty bad.

PINWHEELS
03-25-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
I could do without the Giants cream colored unis, and the new Padres and Blue Jays don't look so good either. Not a fan of the Reds uni's either. Common Jerco that is old school! the cream color and no name on the back is CLASSIC! As for the reds, They need to tone down the black in their jersey's.

Jerko
03-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by PINWHEELS
Common Jerco that is old school! the cream color and no name on the back is CLASSIC! As for the reds, They need to tone down the black in their jersey's.

I don't know; that Padre one on here is pretty ugly and that looks cream colored too. What I don't like about the Reds is that they wear different color sleeves/socks. One day I saw a pitcher of theirs with the white vest, black sleeves under the vest, and red high top socks. That was brutal. At least make the socks and sleeves match.

PINWHEELS
03-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
on that list, the blue jays. The worst are the new road padre unis. They're sand color. Yuck! The padres uniform is sticking with tradition with having the ugliest uni in baseball. Remember the yellow and brown from the 80's MAN THAT WAS AWFUL!

Chisox_cali
03-25-2004, 09:16 AM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned these retna burners:

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB1-1313863reg.jpg

I actually love the A's jerseys, as well as the Giants cream colored home ones. I also like the Astros home white with no pinstripes with the star logo on the breast. And I do like the other Red Sox jersey's but not the one above.