PDA

View Full Version : KW on the Score AM 670 now...


Mickster
03-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Just getting the word out...

SoxxoS
03-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Recap for those of us outside the Chicagoland area...???

Tekijawa
03-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Recap for those of us outside the Chicagoland area...???

I'm guessing somewhere along the lines of

"...Willie Harris is a fine player..."

"...I will not trade Carlos or Maggs..."

"...we believe we'll be very competitive this year..."

Something about not making any unecissary moves.

SoxxoS
03-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Don't forget the all-important:

"I am happy with the 25 guys we have on this team right now."

habibharu
03-24-2004, 01:27 PM
basically all boers and bernstein did was try to make up with KW. they really didnt ask him any tough questions. among the things that kenny said were: Frank has asked to bat 4th, KW had no pressure from JR in hiring OG, he loves willie and Aaron, and the same thing about how he wants grinders on his team and believes that crede, mags, and rowand are all grinders

blackjack29
03-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Some of what I heard:

-again telling us how great he thought Ozzie was in his job interview and how he liked the fact that Ozzie is someone who is not afraid to tell him what he is thinking

-Cliff Pollite was signed to fill the hole left by Flash

-"Shingo will be fine" (his exact words)

-No one above him (Jerry Reinsdorf) has ever made him make a move he didn't want to.

Maximo
03-24-2004, 01:35 PM
I caught a little bit of it in the car. Best thing about it was that he took some time away from Boers and Bernstein trying to "outquip"
each other.

Dan H
03-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by habibharu
basically all boers and bernstein did was try to make up with KW. they really didnt ask him any tough questions. among the things that kenny said were: Frank has asked to bat 4th, KW had no pressure from JR in hiring OG, he loves willie and Aaron, and the same thing about how he wants grinders on his team and believes that crede, mags, and rowand are all grinders

I only got to hear a few minutes, but I did hear a defensive sounding Boers and Bernstein trying to smooth things over with Williams. The Sox obviously hate the Score and the two B's didn't want to be blamed for what was said on other segments of the station.

Williams went into his talk about having no money. He actually sounded pretty articulate, but the crying about having no money was also sounding old. I was not impressed by what I heard.

Jjav829
03-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
I only got to hear a few minutes, but I did hear a defensive sounding Boers and Bernstein trying to smooth things over with Williams. The Sox obviously hate the Score and the two B's didn't want to be blamed for what was said on other segments of the station.

Williams went into his talk about having no money. He actually sounded pretty articulate, but the crying about having no money was also sounding old. I was not impressed by what I heard.

Yeah it sounded like KW is more upset by the comments North made than Boers and Bernsie's show. I'm really starting to believe that Reinsdorf may move the games to the Score when the ESPN contract is up, based on the way B&B were talking yesterday.

BeerHandle
03-25-2004, 09:28 AM
B&B were talking up Kenny and the Sox after the interview. They said he came on because in a White Sox Owners meeting the SOX were told that they have great response to radio time.

I guess the board said they wanted KW on the air waves to reach out the fans. They want him to portray a positive, smooth attitude about the Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
03-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Yeah it sounded like KW is more upset by the comments North made than Boers and Bernsie's show. I'm really starting to believe that Reinsdorf may move the games to the Score when the ESPN contract is up, based on the way B&B were talking yesterday.

Refresh my memory of what North said that was so inflammatory.

TornLabrum
03-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Refresh my memory of what North said that was so inflammatory.

What did North ever say that wasn't inflammatory?

Jjav829
03-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Refresh my memory of what North said that was so inflammatory.

He ripped into Kenny saying that KW got the job just because he was black and Reinsdorf was looking for a good PR move. He said Evans should have got the job. Basically something along those lines, though I don't remember the exact words. He apologized yesterday saying that he was out of line for saying that and that he didn't realize that KW had a history worthy of him being named GM. He hopes to talk to KW someday soon.

poorme
03-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Odd because North has been as big a KW supporter as anyone on the SCORE.

KW and the Sox organization need to collectively grow up and start acting like a business and not like kids in a playground.

Who cares what the media says? Smile and market the product.

Frater Perdurabo
03-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
What did North ever say that wasn't inflammatory?

Point well taken.

Originally posted by Jjav829
He ripped into Kenny saying that KW got the job just because he was black and Reinsdorf was looking for a good PR move. He said Evans should have got the job. Basically something along those lines, though I don't remember the exact words. He apologized yesterday saying that he was out of line for saying that and that he didn't realize that KW had a history worthy of him being named GM. He hopes to talk to KW someday soon.

Thanks for the info.

I used to like North when he had the original Score midday show with Dan Jiggetts. They actually were both entertaining and informative, probably due more to Jiggetts' presence. During those days, North came across as a Sox fan and the Score's coverage of the Sox and Cubs was pretty fair and balanced. (This was before the days of the Cult of Sosa.)

Maximo
03-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Point well taken.



Thanks for the info.

I used to like North when he had the original Score midday show with Dan Jiggetts. They actually were both entertaining and informative, probably due more to Jiggetts' presence. During those days, North came across as a Sox fan and the Score's coverage of the Sox and Cubs was pretty fair and balanced. (This was before the days of the Cult of Sosa.)

I didn't think so at the time, but I'm beginning to feel that Dan Jiggetts might have been the best thing the Score had going for it.

At least when he was teamed with North you got a break from the yelling and screaming every now and then.

maurice
03-25-2004, 02:10 PM
IMHO, Jiggetts' imposing presence (both physically and mentally) limited the amount of crap on the show. There's only so much North could say with a 400-pound brother with a Harvard education sitting right next to him.

Murphy's as irritating as North. All he can talk about is cubs because: (1) his life revolves around the team, and (2) he's completely imcompetent when it comes to the Sox and any sport other than baseball. Even his cubs banter is sometimes misinformed. His awful voice and a couple of typically bad commercials is enough to get me out of bed in the morning.

Hopefully, the new relationship with JR will result in a stronger Sox presence on the morning show.

Iwritecode
03-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by blackjack29
-No one above him (Jerry Reinsdorf) has ever made him make a move he didn't want to.

Of course not.

Then again, I'm sure someone above him (Jerry Reinsdorf) has prevented him from making a move that he wanted to (and probably should have made).

More than once too I'll bet...

Iwritecode
03-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by maurice
he's completely imcompetent when it comes to the Sox

I just ran into this yesterday on the way home from work. Listening to a local Rockford station, somehow the converstation between the two DJ's drifted over to sports. They started talking about how most of the Chicago teams (in whatever sport) have always been in either the east or central division. They knew that the Cubs are in the central (they are admitted Cubs fans) but thought the Sox were in the WEST!!!

Being that it is a rock'n'roll station and not sports talk radio, I can see them not knowing a whole lot about sports in general but c'mon...

Jjav829
03-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by poorme
Odd because North has been as big a KW supporter as anyone on the SCORE.

KW and the Sox organization need to collectively grow up and start acting like a business and not like kids in a playground.

Who cares what the media says? Smile and market the product.

Has he really? Maybe it's because I've tuned North off more and more recently, but I don't remember many pro-KW comments from North. Most of what I remember is him referring to KW as Kenny Williams Jr. because he wasn't at the level of other MLB GM's.