PDA

View Full Version : #1 & #2 versus LHP & RHP?

poorme
03-24-2004, 09:33 AM
Tell me who you think should be the #1 and #2 hitters versus both left handed starters and right handed starters.

I'd try this to start the year:

LHP
1. Harris
2. Rowand

RHP
1. Harris
2. Valentin

(i don't buy uribe as a legit player)

Dadawg_77
03-24-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by poorme
Tell me who you think should be the #1 and #2 hitters versus both left handed starters and right handed starters.

I'd try this to start the year:

LHP
1. Harris
2. Rowand

RHP
1. Harris
2. Valentin

But you buy Harris?

poorme
03-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Well, no. But I'm willing to give him one last chance. Uribe has proven in about 3 full MLB seasons his inability to hit. I suspect we are screwed either way.

Jerko
03-24-2004, 09:53 AM
I'd like to see the same lineup everyday. Hence the long forgotton baseball term "everyday lineup". I'd take Lee in the 2 hole.

Harris
Lee
Mags
Frank (if this lasts)
Valentin
Kojerko
Crede
Rowand
Catcher

I put Valentin ahead of Kojerko because he could at least pretend to steal or run on the pitch and maybe avoid some DP's instead of having PK bat behind Frank. If Rowand stays hot I would not mind him in the 2 hole with Lee 5. Maybe if PK was in the 6 or 7 hole he wouldn't put too much pressure on himself either. I don't know; I think there's a lot of good possibilities but after the last 6 years I WOULD like to see a set linuep no matter what.

jeremyb1
03-24-2004, 12:36 PM
I wonder if Carlos could be convinced to focus more on the walk and less on the home run if we batted him leadoff. I'd take the second half of '01 version of Carlos at the top of the lineup in a heartbeat.

maurice
03-24-2004, 01:11 PM
We have no decent leadoff man, so I prefer whoever among Harris, Uribe, and Rowand gets on base the most often this season (hopefully, Harris). For reasons discussed on this board ad infinitum, Lee should stay in the two hole.

That leaves at pretty solid lineup, except for the huge ? at the top of the order:

1. Harris
2. Lee
3. Ordonez
4. Thomas
5. Konerko
6. Valentin
7. Crede
8. Rowand
9. Olivo

. . . subject to change, primarily depending on the relative performance of Harris / Uribe / Rowand and Crede / Konerko, and the emergence of Reed or Borchard.

rmusacch
03-24-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I'd like to see the same lineup everyday. Hence the long forgotton baseball term "everyday lineup". I'd take Lee in the 2 hole.

Harris
Lee
Mags
Frank (if this lasts)
Valentin
Kojerko
Crede
Rowand
Catcher

I put Valentin ahead of Kojerko because he could at least pretend to steal or run on the pitch and maybe avoid some DP's instead of having PK bat behind Frank. If Rowand stays hot I would not mind him in the 2 hole with Lee 5. Maybe if PK was in the 6 or 7 hole he wouldn't put too much pressure on himself either. I don't know; I think there's a lot of good possibilities but after the last 6 years I WOULD like to see a set linuep no matter what.

I would put Rowand at the top, move the catcher up one and put Harris at the bottom of the lineup.

Veeky
03-24-2004, 05:11 PM
LHP
1. Harris
2. Rowand

I know Carlos was suprisngly bad against LHP last year, but there is no reason to think Willie will out-hit him again.

1. Rowand
2. Carlos/Uribe/Olivo

Why?

His old team moved him up too fast, so his first full year in the bigs in 2002 should have been in AA/AAA. After some initial learning curve struggles, he's had success against LHP last year (800 OPS), which is all we want from him in the first place. He has good speed and excellent defensive tools.

Hopefully he builts on it. If not, he'll be a valuable platoon player -- Graffanino but with better defense and more speed.