23. Boston Red Sox

24. San Francisco Giants

25. San Diego Padres

26. Cincinnati Reds

27. New York Yankees

28. St. Louis Cardinals

29. Houston Astros

30. Montreal Expos

The subscriber only section gives a brief blurb about each system. Here's the Sox...

Tekijawa
03-24-2004, 10:12 AM
So in oly four years Kenny has taken us from Division champs to second place, and our Farm System from number 1 to number 20... I'd have to say that's some QUALITY WORK!

Bobby Thigpen
03-24-2004, 10:43 AM
I believe this is a cyclical thing in the major leagues, so the Sox' decline is not that big of a deal. Remember the last team on this list, the Expos, at one time had one of, if not the best farm system in the majors. At one point they had produced over a dozen All-Stars (granted they weren't playing for them at the time). As teams get to be closer to success using their own talent (2000, last year) they trade away some of the bigger names in the minors system to try to get to the next level. It takes time to recover from those losses. Minor league talent seems to come in bunches for most major league teams.

Now if in another five years the Sox are that far down the list, then there are problems.

poorme
03-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Well when we were ranked #1, nothing came of it, so how much worse could #20 be?

SoxxoS
03-24-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by poorme
Well when we were ranked #1, nothing came of it, so how much worse could #20 be?

That's a great point.

I think Honel is better than any of the "studs" we had in 2000, when we had that alleged plethra of pitching talent.

Sweeney, Anderson and Reed all look awesome as well. We don't have much depth, but I like the players at the top.

Tekijawa
03-24-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Sweeney, Anderson and Reed all look awesome as well. We don't have much depth, but I like the players at the top.

It's too bad that all our minor league talent is OUTFIELDERS, because that is where all our Major League Talent is also!!!

SoxxoS
03-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
It's too bad that all our minor league talent is OUTFIELDERS, because that is where all our Major League Talent is also!!!

Would you expect the Sox to do it any other way?

Randar68
03-24-2004, 01:02 PM
So in oly four years Kenny has taken us from Division champs to second place, and our Farm System from number 1 to number 20... I'd have to say that's some QUALITY WORK!

The reason we were #1 was because Kenny ran those drafts.

The reason we're #20 is because we have traded a lot of the organizational depth in trying to make a run the past couple years and we don't have a top 10 (in BA's eyes) player to push us over the top...

SoxxoS
03-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

The reason we're #20 is because we have traded a lot of the organizational depth in trying to make a run the past couple years and we don't have a top 10 (in BA's eyes) player to push us over the top...

Who have we really traded worth anything? Rupe? Webster? Dunn? Ring?

None of those guys are too crash hot. I think it's more that the top prospects haven't performed to expectations...and injuries.

poorme
03-24-2004, 01:09 PM

so does he get the blame for us not having anything to show for it?

Randar68
03-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Who have we really traded worth anything? Rupe? Webster? Dunn? Ring?

None of those guys are too crash hot. I think it's more that the top prospects haven't performed to expectations...and injuries.

IIRC, Webster was #4 in the system prior to last year according to BA. In their eyes, that's a big loss. Rupe was performing very well and would have come in between 8-15 this year probably. Ring was a top 5 organizational player. Doesn't have STUD potential, but close to the majors and good performer up to this point. Tim Hummel has been organizational top 10 more than once in the past. Joe Valentine? Edwin Almonte?

That's potentially 6 of your top 15 or 20 prospects traded in the last 12 months. That is VERY significant when assessing the depth of an organization. Performance up to this point in the majors for any of those guys is irrelevant when assessing how BA is rating us.

Randar68
03-24-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by poorme
so does he get the blame for us not having anything to show for it?

He get's the blame for failures or bad trades at the MLB level as well, but if people are going to say he destroyed the #1 Farm system, they should what the hell they're talking about first.

habibharu
03-24-2004, 01:24 PM

isnt reed a top ten player?

sas1974
03-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by habibharu

I think they rated him #25.

Randar68
03-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by habibharu

Not according to BA, which is the only thing relevant to a discussion based around BA's rankings of the White Sox Farm System in comparison to the rest of MLB...

Fungo
03-24-2004, 01:43 PM

I thought Duane Shaffer was the Sox scouting director for the Sox from 1991-2000? I know KW's name is mentioned quite a bit as having a large role when Schueler was GM, but maybe I'm misunderstanding. Who gets credit for the Ordonez, Lee and Buehrle drafts?

Remember also folks that top prospects don't always pan out. The list of can't miss kids that actaully made it big is a lot shorter that the list of can't miss kids who did in fact miss. This goes for every team across the board.

batmanZoSo
03-24-2004, 01:44 PM

Give KW credit for being aggressive and trying to win it all with big time payroll constraints. I'd rather have him than lets-see-how-we-do Schueler at the helm.

sas1974
03-24-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
Give KW credit for being aggressive and trying to win it all with big time payroll constraints. I'd rather have him than lets-see-how-we-do Schueler at the helm.

Exactly. You have to bet big to win big. It just hasn't panned out.

I just fear that now the list of quality minor leaguers has shrunk a bit, we are going to have to start parting w/ some of the big boys.

Randar68
03-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Fungo
I thought Duane Shaffer was the Sox scouting director for the Sox from 1991-2000? I know KW's name is mentioned quite a bit as having a large role when Schueler was GM, but maybe I'm misunderstanding. Who gets credit for the Ordonez, Lee and Buehrle drafts?

That doesn't indicate a damn thing about:
1) Who ran the draft (controlled the pick and the Draft Room discussions)
2) Who was in charge of identifying needs and draft strategies

Ordonez and Lee were not drafted. Lee was signed out of Panama and Maggs out of Venezuela. Buehrle was drafted when Kenny was in charge of the draft. The last couple years of Ron Schueler's reign were the only years he wasn't in charge of the drafts (KW's drafts). The past couple drafts have been run by the scouting director. Kenny wasn't even in town last year. The GM still plays a role in determining what the draft strategy, bonus $$$ available where, etc etc.

Fungo
03-24-2004, 02:49 PM
That doesn't indicate a damn thing about:
1) Who ran the draft (controlled the pick and the Draft Room discussions)
2) Who was in charge of identifying needs and draft strategies

Ordonez and Lee were not drafted. Lee was signed out of Panama and Maggs out of Venezuela. Buehrle was drafted when Kenny was in charge of the draft. The last couple years of Ron Schueler's reign were the only years he wasn't in charge of the drafts (KW's drafts). The past couple drafts have been run by the scouting director. Kenny wasn't even in town last year. The GM still plays a role in determining what the draft strategy, bonus $$$ available where, etc etc.

Randar~
My post wasn't intended to piss you off if the first part of your response was directed towards me. I was asking the question because I didn't know. I should have known that Maggs and Lee weren't drafted, I guess I should have said, who was in charge back when they were signed? Buehrle was something like a 35th or 38th rounder, or something like that.

hftrex
03-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Isn't ranking of minor league systems kind of arbitrary?