PDA

View Full Version : Randomly dropped in on the Score this morning ....

Hangar18
03-24-2004, 07:50 AM
and was treated to tons of Bears talk. Excuse me, isnt their season done? Murph then announced he had a contest for a caller, a Cub Caller that is. To guess which date The Messiah is coming back off the DL. He gives a long winded discussion on what date he thinks, and just another excuse to keep talking Cub on WCUB am670. BUT, they promised to talk SOX and they did. THe story was how Frank wants to bat 4th and let Maggs bat 3rd. Murphs co-host, the one thats allegedly a SOX fan, made a few comments. But as the talk centered around who should bat 4th for the SOX, the conversation moved to what DEFINED A CLEANUP HITTER. Faster than you could say Biased Media, Murph cites his meaning of "Clean-Up" hitter, and that it was coined from the 1969 Cubs, and went on and on talking about kessinger santo williams and banks. He flip flopped the order here and there to show the differences it would have made, and gave the listeners a History Lesson and told everyone what their averages were back then (subliminally, to teach stupid cub fans a little about their team) and what their roles were to the cubs back then. After listening to this Cub history lesson for a few minutes, I got Burned up because in the background, you could hear the NAN NANNA HEY HEY music, clueing the listener that this was a WHITESOX SEGMENT, yet here we were letting Murph go on a Tangent, as usual, talking cub. He was never interrupted by his "Co-host" nor told to change the subject, Murph corrected himself after a while, saying "I hear the sox music in the background, so im gonna stop talking about the cubs now". who says the media isnt biased?

Dick Allen
03-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Murphy's just another pathetic idiot Cub fan, who actually is a pretty good host during the few times it isn't centered around the Cubs. I don't listen anymore because of him and all the commercials. Do yourself a favor and avoid the show altogether.

34 Inch Stick
03-24-2004, 09:45 AM
You have me with the Cubs but Bears season NEVER ends!

TornLabrum
03-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
and was treated to tons of Bears talk. Excuse me, isnt their season done? Murph then announced he had a contest for a caller, a Cub Caller that is. To guess which date The Messiah is coming back off the DL. He gives a long winded discussion on what date he thinks, and just another excuse to keep talking Cub on WCUB am670. BUT, they promised to talk SOX and they did. THe story was how Frank wants to bat 4th and let Maggs bat 3rd. Murphs co-host, the one thats allegedly a SOX fan, made a few comments. But as the talk centered around who should bat 4th for the SOX, the conversation moved to what DEFINED A CLEANUP HITTER. Faster than you could say Biased Media, Murph cites his meaning of "Clean-Up" hitter, and that it was coined from the 1969 Cubs, and went on and on talking about kessinger santo williams and banks. He flip flopped the order here and there to show the differences it would have made, and gave the listeners a History Lesson and told everyone what their averages were back then (subliminally, to teach stupid cub fans a little about their team) and what their roles were to the cubs back then. After listening to this Cub history lesson for a few minutes, I got Burned up because in the background, you could hear the NAN NANNA HEY HEY music, clueing the listener that this was a WHITESOX SEGMENT, yet here we were letting Murph go on a Tangent, as usual, talking cub. He was never interrupted by his "Co-host" nor told to change the subject, Murph corrected himself after a while, saying "I hear the sox music in the background, so im gonna stop talking about the cubs now". who says the media isnt biased?

That's why I've started listening to Larry Lujack and Tommy Edwards in the mornings. No sports talk is better than all the Cubs talk from Murphy. As for Huebner, he knows his place. He's the second banana and is there to not interrupt the host.

kittle42
03-24-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
You have me with the Cubs but Bears season NEVER ends!

Actually, most of the time it never ends soon enough.

Foulke You
03-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
Actually, most of the time it never ends soon enough.

Amen, the only team in town overexposed more than the Cubs is the Bears. For us non-football fans it can be annoying.

A.T. Money
03-24-2004, 11:21 AM
It's the same crap everyday. Murphy, with his lisp and all, will do whatever it takes to change the subject back to the Flub talk. It's annoying, but hey, Fred is a wimp so what do you expect?

Just turn that crap off.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-24-2004, 11:26 AM
i love it when dj's from stations like Q101 or the old 96.7 would update cubs games between commercials and pretend to know one iota about baseball or sports. like the standard listener for q101 would give a heck

duke of dorwood
03-24-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
That's why I've started listening to Larry Lujack and Tommy Edwards in the mornings. No sports talk is better than all the Cubs talk from Murphy. As for Huebner, he knows his place. He's the second banana and is there to not interrupt the host.

Thats exactly what I do-all you miss is Cub banter and meaningless basketball talk along with tons of commercials

steff
03-24-2004, 01:32 PM
It's "White Sox Afternoon" on there now..

thepaulbowski
03-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Amen, the Loop does me just fine in the morning. I haven't listened to the Score (other than a Hawks game) in at least 2 years.

JohnJeter
03-24-2004, 04:53 PM
If the sportstalk yakker was implying the batting order was Kessinger-Santo-Williams-Banks, he didn't know what he was talking about. It was Kessinger-BECKERT-Williams-Santo-Banks.

Viva Magglio
03-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Hangar, to quote Michael Corleone, I think things are being negotiated now that will solve all your problems. Specifically, a detente is taking place between the Score and the Sox (i.e., B&B's TEP remotes). As I said in another thread, this is a sign that Reinsdorf is looking to the Score as the new Sox flagship after the ESPN 1000 contract terminates.

If and when the Score becomes the Sox flagship, the station will certainly gravitate toward in a WSOX direction.

wdelaney72
03-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Dick Allen
Murphy's just another pathetic idiot Cub fan, who actually is a pretty good host during the few times it isn't centered around the Cubs. I don't listen anymore because of him and all the commercials. Do yourself a favor and avoid the show altogether.

You cannot be serious. Murph is a horrible host.
1) He has a very unpleasant radio voice. It's painful to listen to.
2) He NEVER stops talking about the Cubs.

He only got that job in the first place cause he was colllege buds with a former station executive.

As far as Fred goes, his voice is more whiny than a teenage rich girl.

I have turned to CDs in the morning. Morning Drive Sports talk on both stations is just brutal.

batmanZoSo
03-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
You cannot be serious. Murph is a horrible host.
1) He has a very unpleasant radio voice. It's painful to listen to.
2) He NEVER stops talking about the Cubs.

He only got that job in the first place cause he was colllege buds with a former station executive.

As far as Fred goes, his voice is more whiny than a teenage rich girl.

I have turned to CDs in the morning. Morning Drive Sports talk on both stations is just brutal.

I agree about Murph. He just doesn't do it for me. The thing with him and most of the score guys is that they don't seem to know that much. I always hear them trying to think who so-and-so was or what happened there meanwhile I already know what they're referring to. There should be more Grobsteins out there. A talk show host should know everything about Chicago sports like he does. A lot of times those idiot callers go off about something and the hosts don't have the knowledge to correct them, so half truths get spread all around the city...and the country for that matter.

ChiSox14305635
03-25-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by batmanZoSo
I agree about Murph. He just doesn't do it for me. The thing with him and most of the score guys is that they don't seem to know that much. I always hear them trying to think who so-and-so was or what happened there meanwhile I already know what they're referring to. There should be more Grobsteins out there. A talk show host should know everything about Chicago sports like he does. A lot of times those idiot callers go off about something and the hosts don't have the knowledge to correct them, so half truths get spread all around the city...and the country for that matter.

Bernstein seems to be extremely knowledgeable, but he can't take criticism. You always hear him arguing with callers. JHood is pretty good too, but he's on too late and his schedule is always changing. Swieca was good, but now she's gone.

maurice
03-25-2004, 02:26 PM
I posted this in the other SCORE thread:

Murphy's as irritating as North. All he can talk about is cubs because: (1) his life revolves around the team, and (2) he's completely imcompetent when it comes to the Sox and any sport other than baseball. Even his cubs banter is sometimes misinformed. His awful voice and a couple of typically bad commercials is enough to get me out of bed in the morning.

Hopefully, the new relationship with JR will result in a stronger Sox presence on the morning show.

habibharu
03-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Hangar, to quote Michael Corleone, I think things are being negotiated now that will solve all your problems. Specifically, a detente is taking place between the Score and the Sox (i.e., B&B's TEP remotes). As I said in another thread, this is a sign that Reinsdorf is looking to the Score as the new Sox flagship after the ESPN 1000 contract terminates.

If and when the Score becomes the Sox flagship, the station will certainly gravitate toward in a WSOX direction.

it will DEFINATELY be a sox station then. with hood, bernsie,fred, and pappy