PDA

View Full Version : RAlomar Wants to Come Back

Viva Magglio
03-23-2004, 06:13 PM
Ed Farmer said during the game today that Roberto Alomar told him he wants to come back to the White Sox. Robbie, who is now with Arizona, told Farmer that he wants KW to bring him back if the Diamondbacks are not in contention and the White Sox are.

Interesting. I wonder how the Arizona media would react to this if they catch wind of it.

The Critic
03-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Just how many prospects does that guy think he's worth???
:D:

RKMeibalane
03-23-2004, 06:23 PM
Sad. Just sad. He had a chance to stay with the Sox and didn't take advantage of it. Now, Roberto is worred about Arizona's chances of contending. If I were him, I would just keep my mouth shut and play the game. Why can't these guys just be happy where they are? The grass is always greener on the other side.

guillen4life13
03-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Sad. Just sad. He had a chance to stay with the Sox and didn't take advantage of it. Now, Roberto is worred about Arizona's chances of contending. If I were him, I would just keep my mouth shut and play the game. Why can't these guys just be happy where they are? The grass is always greener on the other side.

I would get back Alomar only if:

-He's doing relatively well (better than whoever the second baseman the Sox already have is)
-The prospects/people given in return for Alomar are mid/low-level prospects who probably won't be stars (Reed, Anderson, Sweeney, Honel, etc. are off limits).
-It is evident that a guy like Alomar is needed on the team. And "needed" is a strong word.
-The Sox are in contention.

So--I don't know if I want Alomar coming back--for all four of those things to occur would be pretty unlikely. Plus I'm a little pissed about how selfish he was.

jabrch
03-23-2004, 06:52 PM
I don't want him back if we are in contention. Fool me once, shame on you...

I bit HARD on Alomar. I was a total mark. He was going to come back to the AL where he was "comfortable" and become a team leader on and off the field.

Screw him - let him melt in Arizona.

ode to veeck
03-23-2004, 07:01 PM
I sure hope he can swim upstream across the kissKW's___ river, cause he sure burned his bridges in the off season---too bad cause he was the closest we've seen to a leadoff man since Keny Lofton pulled his hammy a couple of springs ago.

soxfan26
03-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I don't want him back if we are in contention. Fool me once, shame on you...

I bit HARD on Alomar. I was a total mark. He was going to come back to the AL where he was "comfortable" and become a team leader on and off the field.

Screw him - let him melt in Arizona.

Thanks for saving me the time it would have taken to type that. R. Alomar is a classless individual, I hope he enjoys his stay in the desert.

SoxBoy14
03-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Roberto had a game recently where he hit 2 for 3 and had a great catch in the outfield. I wouldn't mind him back in a Sox uniform. He's got better Defense than Harris and Uribe. But if he didn't come back I wouldn't fret it.

gogosoxgogo
03-23-2004, 07:14 PM
hmm, not sure I buy this one. Could just be friendly conversation with Farmer. Remember Robby is the same guy that turned down an offer from the Sox (1.25 mil I believe) only to sign for less with the D-Backs (1mil).

dickallen15
03-23-2004, 07:32 PM
He is also the same guy who said he was a slam dunk to return if Guillen was the manager. He seems like he's one of those guys who says whatever he thinks the person he's talking to wants to hear.

jabrch
03-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
Roberto had a game recently where he hit 2 for 3 and had a great catch in the outfield. I wouldn't mind him back in a Sox uniform. He's got better Defense than Harris and Uribe. But if he didn't come back I wouldn't fret it.

:jaime
"I had a game a few years back where I didn't suck ass also. Do you want me?"

Are you kidding? He had one good game - possibly against some AA pitcher and you wouldn't mind him back after he played like crap for us last year?

As far as his defense being better than Harris or Uribe - I am not even sure about that. His range aint what it used to be.

If he wants to beg to come back - and play for free - maybe. But if we have to use real money that would otherwise get us pitching - screw him.

A. Cavatica
03-23-2004, 07:46 PM
Screw him.

owensmouth
03-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm not mad at Roberto because he decided to leave. He had been approached during the season and been given an offer. By the time his agent got involved the offer was changed, so he said no.

Roberto was brought in because KW felt he would make be the final piece in the puzzle that would win the division. Obviously, he wasn't.

Five or six years ago Robby Alomar was the best 2s baseman in baseball, a surefire HOFer. Last year he played the position, but he lacked the fire necessary to be productive. In 500+ at bats last year, evenly split between the Mets and the WS, he had 5 home runs and an average around .257. There were times in the field that he didn't seem to try.

We may very well be better off with either Willie or Uribe. It's hard to believe, but they may both have higher upsides that Robby. And it's time to give them a chance.

WinningUgly!
03-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Ed Farmer said during the game today that Roberto Alomar told him he wants to come back to the White Sox. Robbie, who is now with Arizona, told Farmer that he wants KW to bring him back if the Diamondbacks are not in contention and the White Sox are.

Interesting. I wonder how the Arizona media would react to this if they catch wind of it.

After all of Robbie Alomar's talk about wanting Ozzie Guillen as manager & wanting to play with his brother, he walked away from the Sox' offer of $1M this year & $1M deferred. His brilliant agent misjudged his value & was only able to get him a one year $1M deal from the D-Backs. Boo-Frickin-Hoo!

fquaye149
03-23-2004, 10:27 PM
i think him singing with the d'backs and not us for more was a matter of his agent being pissy pissy at us for talking w/ robbie behind his back...

although that's not to say what we did was right

ChiSox14305635
03-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Screw him. Even when KW pulled that deal off the table, if he really wanted to come back, he could've told his agent to get the deal done. I'm pretty sure KW wouldn't have been that petty to put that offer back on the table. His chances of seeing the postseason were much better with the Sox than they would be with the D-Backs. If KW decides for some strange reason to consider it, no BIG PROSPECTS! NO MID-LEVEL PROSPECTS! Eat the salary, and give them a low-level prospect and nothing more.

beckett21
03-23-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Ed Farmer said during the game today that Roberto Alomar told him he wants to come back to the White Sox.

:whiner:

Should have thought of that before, you selfish jerk. Who needs him? His production sucked last year. Ever since he spit in that umpire's face I haven't been able to stand the guy.

Now if he were still putting up HOF-caliber numbers I might have been able to overlook that...

Honestly only a coward does something like that. I don't care what the situation is. The only other guy I know of who spits on people is Bill Romanowski...enough said. That is demeaning and insulting on so many levels I could care less what he wants. He gets what he deserves. A-Rod he ain't. He's a world class jerk. He is the one offseason subtraction that I will not miss, regardless of what Harris/Uribe do. Robby did nothing for us last year. Nothing. Let him work for *peanuts* on a last place club. Serves him right for being a greedy pig.

SoxxoS
03-23-2004, 11:46 PM
He is a platoon player now. Forget him. There has got to be a better option somewhere come July.

Maybe Willie Harris will suprise us and be Juan Pierre Jr.

Veeky
03-23-2004, 11:52 PM
I am still upset at everybody and everying White Sox over what transpired in 2002 and 2003 and Robbie is no exception; like many of you I had high hopes for him.

When the trade happened, I was not unlike a trader who is so happy to buy stock in a once-prosperous company he dreamt of owning a part of when it was too expensive for cheap.....without giving a second thought to WHAT made the shares so cheap in the first place -- the company was no longer what it once was and the stock price reflected it.

Same with Robbie when I saw him: lost some batspeed, no longer was a speed demon, with unimpressive defensive range.

And yet.....he can still get on base at 350 clip against RHP, has experience to boot, reliable glove and is a hellava bunter...... Can Willie Harris muster 250 OBP even?

As long as Robbie concedes that Uribe starts against LHP, I have no problem with seeing him back peanuts that he is making. I have next-to-no faith in Willie anymore, you could probably tell.

steff
03-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by owensmouth
I'm not mad at Roberto because he decided to leave. He had been approached during the season and been given an offer. By the time his agent got involved the offer was changed, so he said no.

Thank you..

Robbie didn't screw up the deal he was offered. Kenny made a deal he was not authorized to make. You don't promise someone champaign and then give them club soda.

Kenny effed up.

I wish Robbie much success in AZ... and hope the slap across the face stings Kenny good.

Mickster
03-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by gogosoxgogo
hmm, not sure I buy this one. Could just be friendly conversation with Farmer. Remember Robby is the same guy that turned down an offer from the Sox (1.25 mil I believe) only to sign for less with the D-Backs (1mil).

Don't beLIEve what you read! :smile:

Dadawg_77
03-24-2004, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
:whiner:

Should have thought of that before, you selfish jerk. Who needs him? His production sucked last year. Ever since he spit in that umpire's face I haven't been able to stand the guy.

Now if he were still putting up HOF-caliber numbers I might have been able to overlook that...

Honestly only a coward does something like that. I don't care what the situation is. The only other guy I know of who spits on people is Bill Romanowski...enough said. That is demeaning and insulting on so many levels I could care less what he wants. He gets what he deserves. A-Rod he ain't. He's a world class jerk. He is the one offseason subtraction that I will not miss, regardless of what Harris/Uribe do. Robby did nothing for us last year. Nothing. Let him work for *peanuts* on a last place club. Serves him right for being a greedy pig.

To be fair, Robby did make amends for that action. The umpire in question, forgot his name, son had a disease, forgot which one. Robby became an good friends with the Ump and an active fund-raiser for efforts to cure and treat the disease.

jabrch
03-24-2004, 10:13 AM
It was John Hirshbeck. His (then) 8 year old son had died of a brain disease a few weeks prior to the incident and his (then) 9 year old son is also inflicted with the same illness.

I don't hold this against Alomar. I am more upset at how poorly he performed since we acquired him.

Deadguy
03-24-2004, 10:46 AM
To hell with this washed up reject. He should have just gone to Tampa Bay, where washed up veterans chasing 3,000 hits go to die.

sas1974
03-24-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by steff
Thank you..

Robbie didn't screw up the deal he was offered. Kenny made a deal he was not authorized to make. You don't promise someone champaign and then give them club soda.

Kenny effed up.

I wish Robbie much success in AZ... and hope the slap across the face stings Kenny good.

I was just going to say....In ALL of the reports that I heard, it was K-Dub who botched this one up. His experience alone would be worth the $1MM.

Supposedly he has recommitted himself this off season, so I am curious to see what that equates to.

beckett21
03-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
To be fair, Robby did make amends for that action. The umpire in question, forgot his name, son had a disease, forgot which one. Robby became an good friends with the Ump and an active fund-raiser for efforts to cure and treat the disease.

Thanks for pointing that out. Glad to know that, although it still doesn't completely erase the incident. People make mistakes in the heat of battle, understood; but to spit in someone's face to me is the ultimate insult, very degrading and dehumanizing. I am sure he wishes he never did it, and glad to know he tried to make amends. But I still don't condone it, and I still don't miss him.

joecrede
03-24-2004, 02:02 PM
Thank you..

Robbie didn't screw up the deal he was offered. Kenny made a deal he was not authorized to make.

What do you mean?

Veeky
03-24-2004, 02:47 PM
To hell with this washed up reject. He should have just gone to Tampa Bay, where washed up veterans chasing 3,000 hits go to die.

You will EAT your words when Sox finish 3 games out of 1st because our lead-off hitter couldn't muster .290 OBP even when platooned.

Even at his worst, Robbie will give you a 360 OBP against RHP, which is basically 75% of all pitchers, give or take. He can play solid 2B still and would be the second best base-runner on the Sox team even at 35. He is an excellent bunter -- remember the 4-blown sac bunts 1-0 loss to San Diego? Could have used Robbie-Rob I reckon.

And wouldn't we all be damned if it turns out his sudden drop in production after 2001 was flexor/back-related, and that when healthy and comitted, Robbie still has a "Robbie" season left in him? I know there is only a small chance of it happening, but let's not pretend we're talking about some bum who was never good here. At 900K, it's worth taking a chance.

ETA: As I type this, Willie Harris strikes for the 2nd time in as many at-bats -- one swing at a pitch a foot out of the zone and the other looking on a pitch right down boradway......Robbie? They still use him against LHP (not a good idea) but so far he is hittng a cool .450.)

guillen4life13
03-24-2004, 03:24 PM
As late as 2001, Robbie was the best 2B in the league. In '01, I'd have given anything to have had him playing for the Sox.

steff
03-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
What do you mean?

Admitted by Kenny in the Trib... he offered Robbie a deal in September which they (him and Robbie) hand shake agreed on. When Kenny brought the deal to JR, he was not interested in giving Robbie anything more than a 1 year deal. Robbie, rightly so, was ticked. He wanted more stability. Kenny's comment was that the club wanted to go in a different direction at 2b.

Thank GOD for Willie Harris... :(:

mantis1212
03-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Admitted by Kenny in the Trib... he offered Robbie a deal in September which they (him and Robbie) hand shake agreed on. When Kenny brought the deal to JR, he was not interested in giving Robbie anything more than a 1 year deal. Robbie, rightly so, was ticked. He wanted more stability. Kenny's comment was that the club wanted to go in a different direction at 2b.

I don't remember reading about that... What I thought went down was that Alomar's agent was ticked that Kenny was trying to cut a deal with Robbie without his agent present, and basically used his power with Robbie to turn it down...

rmusacch
03-24-2004, 05:26 PM
Thank you..

Kenny effed up.

This is ridiculous that the general manager cannot make an offer that he deems reasonable. Is he that much of a puppet of Uncle Jerry?

joecrede
03-24-2004, 05:29 PM

Not saying you're making it up, but I don't recall ever reading that.

steff
03-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
This is ridiculous that the general manager cannot make an offer that he deems reasonable. Is he that much of a puppet of Uncle Jerry?

The team wanted to go in a younger direction...

steff
03-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Not saying you're making it up, but I don't recall ever reading that.

The link was posted here several times..

steff
03-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
I don't remember reading about that... What I thought went down was that Alomar's agent was ticked that Kenny was trying to cut a deal with Robbie without his agent present, and basically used his power with Robbie to turn it down...

Robbie wanted more than 1 year.. JR said no. That's what it boiled down to.

Veeky
03-24-2004, 07:14 PM
And what's everyone's infatuation with All-World Ray?

I'll take Robbie at 900K and sit him against LHP in favor of Uribe over Ray at 7+ Mill.

But that's just me. :cool:

joecrede
03-24-2004, 08:16 PM
Robbie wanted more than 1 year.. JR said no. That's what it boiled down to.

After Alomar's agent turned down a two-year offer Williams and Alomar reportedly agreed to without his agent present.

steff
03-25-2004, 08:01 AM
JC..

I got mixed up.. Kenny offered him more $$ than JR was willing to pay, not years. Robbie did appear to want 2 years, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was that Kenny offered him money he was not "allowed" to.

Here's several threads discussing it.

Either way.. Robbie and Kenny shook in September and as far as he was concerned, he was staying. Shady Sox.. again.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28095&perpage=15&display=&highlight=Alomar&pagenumber=2
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27096&perpage=15&display=&highlight=Robbie%20Alomar&pagenumber=1
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27067&highlight=Robbie+Alomar
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26994&highlight=Robbie+Alomar

joecrede
03-25-2004, 12:05 PM
JC..

I got mixed up.. Kenny offered him more $$ than JR was willing to pay, not years. Robbie did appear to want 2 years, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was that Kenny offered him money he was not "allowed" to.

From the threads, reports had the Sox taking an offer to Alomar off the table. That could mean any number of things, one of which would be that Williams wasn't allowed to make the offer, but that would be at the bottom of my list. More likely is that Alomar was shopping the offer to get a better deal, could not, and Williams lowered it. Why bid against yourself for Robbie Alomar?

Either way.. Robbie and Kenny shook in September and as far as he was concerned, he was staying. Shady Sox.. again.

From some reports, wasn't it Alomar's agent that objected to Williams "negotiating" with his client without him present that nixed that deal?

steff
03-25-2004, 12:16 PM
From the threads, reports had the Sox taking an offer to Alomar off the table. That could mean any number of things, one of which would be that Williams wasn't allowed to make the offer, but that would be at the bottom of my list. More likely is that Alomar was shopping the offer to get a better deal, could not, and Williams lowered it. Why bid against yourself for Robbie Alomar?

From some reports, wasn't it Alomar's agent that objected to Williams "negotiating" with his client without him present that nixed that deal?

Yea.. I assume a hand shake in the clubhouse is "off the table".

This was reported, that was reported... so be it.

Brian26
03-25-2004, 12:47 PM
The team wanted to go in a younger direction...

Honestly, I don't know if I'd want Robbie back at this point, even with the low salary. I like his defense, but I didn't see a whole lot of intensity at the plate.

steff
03-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Honestly, I don't know if I'd want Robbie back at this point, even with the low salary. I like his defense, but I didn't see a whole lot of intensity at the plate.

I'm more scared of the Wille Harris experiment... but we're stuck with it now. Hopefully it'll work out.

guillen4life13
03-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Of these three guys, who would you be most happy with playing 2B?

Uribe
Harris
D'Angelo Jimenez

I think I would be happiest with Jimenez. Carried the team for a while last season and had a nice OBP from the leadoff slot. His defense was probably on par with that of Uribe... and he was a good switch hitter.

Brian26
03-25-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
I think I would be happiest with Jimenez. Carried the team for a while last season and had a nice OBP from the leadoff slot. His defense was probably on par with that of Uribe... and he was a good switch hitter.

And where was his mind during the game? After the dropped pop-up in Oakland and getting doubled up to end the game in Arizona, the guy's lucky he still has a job in the majors. What a headcase.

Brian26
03-25-2004, 01:34 PM
I'm more scared of the Wille Harris experiment... but we're stuck with it now. Hopefully it'll work out.

I'm with you. Cross your fingers. I know he can at least cause trouble when he gets on base...but getting there is the hardest part.

Veeky
03-26-2004, 06:16 AM
Willie Harris's speed doesn't matter because he won't be on base. .

I would take either Jimenez or Robbie in a heart-beat. If anything, they could provide some OBP from the left side of the plate. Juan Uribe would play the role of Tony Graffanino and spell them against LHP.

guillen4life13
03-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Of what I've heard, Uribe is as out of the game as Jimenez was--and I'd rather have Uribe over Harris.

I want to see how Uribe does when he's recent power surge wears down. Will he be able to lead off then? Something tells me he won't.

I wish the Sox had just kept Tony G--I'd rather have him manning 2nd than any other options.

CubKiller5
03-26-2004, 05:10 PM
That's the only way I can see this happening.
There will be no prospects going to AZ for R Alomar.

There's no question he is an upgrade over Uribe & Harris, but at his age it's a matter of how much of an upgrade. I for one am excited that we have 2 guys on this team that should drive one another. Harris knows that if he doesn't learn to hit LH's & doesn't play well in the field Uribe is just chomping to play 2B. And Uribe knows the better he plays when he plays the more often he will play.

Daver
03-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by CubKiller5
That's the only way I can see this happening.
There will be no prospects going to AZ for R Alomar.

There's no question he is an upgrade over Uribe & Harris, but at his age it's a matter of how much of an upgrade. I for one am excited that we have 2 guys on this team that should drive one another. Harris knows that if he doesn't learn to hit LH's & doesn't play well in the field Uribe is just chomping to play 2B. And Uribe knows the better he plays when he plays the more often he will play.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Veeky
03-27-2004, 12:51 AM
Willie. If he starts, it will be this team's demise. We have a tough April. Last year we had an easy April. We had Jimenez getting on base at 385 clip. Still coun't do crap. What do you think happens if when we trot out a career 260 OBP hitter?

Uribe is a career 600 OPS hitter away from Coors. I think he'll do ok against lefties, though. He's just not an everyday ML player.

So I don't see how one could object to obtaining Robbie from 'zona for Matt Ginter or Yofu with them picking up half of his modest salary. Sox can always sit him against lefties and maximiza his value.

Sox could go for Roberts whom Orioles wouldn't mind trading, what with Hairston Jr's return. For Rauch, they might do it.

Both players are cheap and much-needed options.

MRKARNO
03-27-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Veeky
Willie. If he starts, it will be this team's demise. We have a tough April. Last year we had an easy April. We had Jimenez getting on base at 385 clip. Still coun't do crap. What do you think happens if when we trot out a career 260 OBP hitter?

Uribe is a career 600 OPS hitter away from Coors. I think he'll do ok against lefties, though. He's just not an everyday ML player.

So I don't see how one could object to obtaining Robbie from 'zona for Matt Ginter or Yofu with them picking up half of his modest salary. Sox can always sit him against lefties and maximiza his value.

Sox could go for Roberts whom Orioles wouldn't mind trading, what with Hairston Jr's return. For Rauch, they might do it.

Both players are cheap and much-needed options.

No offense, but do you have anything positive to say?

Veeky
03-27-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
No offense, but do you have anything positive to say?

What's "positive"?

ode to veeck
03-27-2004, 09:19 AM
As much as Robbie's numbers have dropped from his perinnial all-star years, he's still got much better OBP than any of our current 2B prospects and is the closest thing to a lead-off man that we would have ... maybe he could help teach the young kids how to bunt to get on instead of swinging for the fences ... JR was right in saying he wasan't worth more than $1M, as the market bore out, though the Sox in usual fashion mishandle it thoroughly ... after the crap that happened in off-season, its hard to believe that we'd get him back ... and yes it ought not to be for more than minor prospects or equivalent etc

harwar
03-27-2004, 10:04 AM
I'm probably the only one on the face of the earth that thinks that Willie Harris is going to be fine.He has shown flashes of brilliance at 2nd,with very good range.He needs to calm down at the plate tho.Its too bad Robbie boy didn't take him under his wing and teach him a thing or 2.
As for R.Alomar coming back.He had his chance.He so much slower,with limited range now anyway,although i have to admit the guy can still get on base when the chips are down.
My biggest worry right now is the bullpen.It looks like a disaster waiting to happen.Koch will be useless and i wouldn't be surprised if hes' not even in MLB next year.

Veeky
03-27-2004, 03:21 PM
I'm probably the only one on the face of the earth that thinks that Willie Harris is going to be fine.

Unfortunately, you're in a majority. I would give anything to be wrong on this one and to have to chew that crow hard.....But nothing Wilie's done warrants optimism. You can't buy batspeed. You can't buy hand-eye coordination. You can't bye batting eye. If he were 20, I'd cut him some slack. But he's almost 26.

He needs to calm down at the plate tho

Nothing calms one down as the prospect of facing Yankees in the OS after terrible ST.

.Its too bad Robbie boy didn't take him under his wing and teach him a thing or 2.

Huh? It's not his job to take talentless players under his wing and teach them magic. It's not his style either -- he is a mercenary, a hired gun brought in to field, run and, oh yes, get on base at 360+ clip against RHP. That's it.

s for R.Alomar coming back.He had his chance.He so much slower,with limited range ,

His range and arm are fine. He can't go up the middle anymore, but neither could Durham. And Willie? Let's see him take a beating on daily basis first before annointing him the king of all Gold Glovers. Also, at 35, Robbie is still a solid baserunner with excellent instincts. Not a great asset, but neither is he a liability. Can work the pitcher and bunt a little, too.

Now that Matt Ginter is gone, who do we sent to Arizona?