PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf reportedly interested in buying the Sun-Times!

Frater Perdurabo
03-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Or so says the Tribune in this article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/jimkirk/chi-0403230128mar23,1,3425157.column?coll=chi-business-hed).

Yusef Jackson is among a number of local luminaries--along with Bulls and White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf and TV newsman Bill Kurtis--who have expressed interest in the paper in some form or another. But Jackson is the only famous local name to emerge with real financing.

Reisny is probably too cheap to meet the asking price (if he even could secure financing), but this is an interesting, if deeppink fantasy report.

But if it did happen, I wonder how quickly the Sun-Times coverage of the Sox would change....

Mighty4
03-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Great, he can get his ass kicked by Tribune Company in two businesses now.

MisterB
03-23-2004, 10:08 AM
I can see it now...

:reinsy
"I'd hire better reporters if people would buy more papers. Chicago has historically been a Tribune town, anyway."

On the other hand, the first head to roll at the S-T could be...

:moron
"gulp!"

Kittle
03-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by MisterB

"gulp!"

More like would be than could be.

sas1974
03-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Reisny is probably too cheap to meet the asking price (if he even could secure financing), but this is an interesting, if deeppink fantasy report.

He would pay the asking price, but he would just ask if they can defer it for the next 100 years. :D:

Hangar18
03-23-2004, 01:08 PM
very interesting development. Too bad it took Uncle Jerry
20 something years to figure out the power of the Media over ones investment. Yes, we know the Media didnt build the atrocity that is Comiskey II, and it was JR himself who tried his hand at Urban Planning (he got an F from the DePaul dept of Geography/UrbanPlanning) but Knowing Uncle Jer, he'd probably screw this up also. What the SOX need is a TV network that will show their Games across the Land and the world INCESSANTLY. The stories of grandmas becoming cub fans because "thats all that was on tv" will cease. Owning the Cub-Times would be a coup indeed, in that Cub PR director Mike Kiley would be FIRED Immediately

Viva Magglio
03-23-2004, 01:12 PM
At one point, during the late '80s, it was rumored that Reinsdorf wanted to by WMAQ from then-owner NBC and change the call letters to WSOX. Of course, WMAQ was the Sox flagship at the time. Whether this was really true I do not know, but it looks like Reinsdorf has this media ownership idea back then if he did have designs on WMAQ.

Today, it is becoming apparent that Reinsdorf is possibly looking at what WMAQ became as his new flagship.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Maybe JR will need to sell the team to get money to buy the Sun-Times... :)

SoxxoS
03-23-2004, 01:19 PM
I wish he would just go away, rather than be in the news.

You are supposed to SELL Jerry, not buy. Get out.

Viva Magglio
03-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
You are supposed to SELL Jerry, not buy. Get out.

"You want me to SELL and not buy??? Hey Kenny, see what you can get by selling Mágglio..."

jackbrohamer
03-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Mighty4
Great, he can get his ass kicked by Tribune Company in two businesses now.

*****! In theory, he'd be able to take the newspaper profits & increse the Sox' payroll. In reality he'll pocket every damn penny in profits he can get his mitts on.

sas1974
03-23-2004, 03:55 PM
The article said that $850MM bid submitted by Jackson was "on the low end." This one may be a little too rich for Uncle Jerry's blood.

A.T. Money
03-23-2004, 03:57 PM
If Reinsy buys the Sun Times, Moronotti better start looking for another job.

Futhermore, I think it's safe to assume that our payroll would increase significantly.

sas1974
03-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
If Reinsy buys the Sun Times, Moronotti better start looking for another job.

I think you could measure the time it would take Uncle Jerry to fire him in nanoseconds.

ondafarm
03-23-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Or so says the Tribune in this article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/jimkirk/chi-0403230128mar23,1,3425157.column?coll=chi-business-hed).

But if it did happen, I wonder how quickly the Sun-Times coverage of the Sox would change....

Perhaps JR will sell his stake in the White Sox to buy the Sun-Times.

Call me a pipe-dreamer but . . .

ShoelessFred
03-23-2004, 04:24 PM
remember guys, this is JERRY REINSDORF! do you think he would spend 1 penny of his own money? he more likely is looking to buy the suntimes with someone elses money

blueeyes33
03-23-2004, 09:29 PM
i didnt read the whole thread so if im repeating sorry,,,

but jesse jackson jr wants to buy suntimes too.isnt all of them sox fans too?

jortafan
03-24-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
*****! In theory, he'd be able to take the newspaper profits & increse the Sox' payroll. In reality he'll pocket every damn penny in profits he can get his mitts on.

What profits?

The Sun-Times historically has been a business that did little more than break even. Its profit margins are fairly small. If such a purchase did take place, you'd probably have White Sox money being shifted over somehow to prop up the paper.

Railsplitter
03-24-2004, 07:43 AM
From what it says there, it appear JR will only be part owner.

Jjav829
03-24-2004, 08:00 AM
"Ha, I just meant I wanted a copy of the Sun-Times, not the whole damn company! Can anyone lend me a nickel?"

ewokpelts
03-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
I can see it now...

"I'd hire better reporters if people would buy more papers. Chicago has historically been a Tribune town, anyway."

"gulp!"

Originally posted by Hangar18
very interesting development. Too bad it took Uncle Jerry
20 something years to figure out the power of the Media over ones investment. Yes, we know the Media didnt build the atrocity that is Comiskey II, and it was JR himself who tried his hand at Urban Planning (he got an F from the DePaul dept of Geography/UrbanPlanning) but Knowing Uncle Jer, he'd probably screw this up also. What the SOX need is a TV network that will show their Games across the Land and the world INCESSANTLY. The stories of grandmas becoming cub fans because "thats all that was on tv" will cease. Owning the Cub-Times would be a coup indeed, in that Cub PR director Mike Kiley would be FIRED Immediately

If I were Jerry, and I just bought the Cub-Times, I wouldnt fire Kiley and Moronotti right away. I'd let them sweat, and see how fast they turn into a$$-ki$$sing boobs. I can see the headlines now:

I LOVE the New Upper Deck at Sox Park. Yup...no longer a ball mall....it's better than the Urinal!

Gene

MarqSox
03-24-2004, 01:14 PM
If JR buys the ST (which I don't see happening), that would take the Cubs-Sox war to a whole new level. It may not happen immediately, but over a couple years it would shake out to where the ST only covered the Sox and the Tribune only covered the Cubs. This probably wouldn't be a great development for the Sox, since the Trib is the superior newspaper, but it would be pretty cool to watch it all evolve.

Either way, it would be fun to have a major media outlet (the Southtown is nice, but it's not major) give its undivided attention and love to the Sox.

On a side note, though, I would be nervous about JR buying the ST from an editorial standpoint. If he runs the ST like the Sox and goes on the cheap, it would be a severe downgrade to the newspaper's reporting. The ST isn't world-class by any stretch, but it holds its own on the national stage -- but it could kiss that status goodbye with any kind of significant budget cuts.