PDA

View Full Version : Illinois State Univ's Daily Vidette

E Coast Sox Fan
03-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Here's a link to an article about the Sox in Illinois State University's newspaper, the Daily Vidette titled, "Who exactly are the Chicago White Sox?"

http://www.dailyvidette.com/news/638482.html?mkey=72812

Deadguy
03-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Paul Konerko was very shaky last season after an MVP caliber 2002

Rather liberal use of the term "MVP caliber", don't you think? I'm almost ashamed to go to the same school as this guy.

E Coast Sox Fan
03-23-2004, 10:07 AM
I give the Vidette and the writers credit for writing about the Sox.

There's a lot Sox fans at ISU and I'm just glad they're not be ignored.

Huisj
03-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Couldn't they have found someone there who actually knew how to write a good article though? Some of the grammar in there is pathetic--he mixed up plural and singular usages a number of times--and his sentances are more choppy than Lake Superior.

Oh well, at least it was something.

doublem23
03-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Is there any school in this state that can make a decent newspaper? The Bradley Scout and Daily Illini are also awful.

jabrch
03-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Is there any school in this state that can make a decent newspaper? The Bradley Scout and Daily Illini are also awful.

The Daily Illini Editorials section alone was worth the paper when I was there in the early 90s. Some of the people had some of the funniest opinions. Horribly ignorant - but funny.

Deadguy
03-23-2004, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by doublem23
Is there any school in this state that can make a decent newspaper? The Bradley Scout and Daily Illini are also awful. [/QUOTE

I enjoyed the Daily Illini when I was a student there. I remember one sports columnist even used to talk about sabermetrics in his columns, and such new-age stats as batting runs and fielding runs. I always wondered if I was the only reader who really understood what he was talking about. He was a Cubs fan, but offered rather rational insight on the White Sox, and he was ussually spot on in his predcitions.

The writing in other sections was pretty well done, as well.

The Daily Vidette is garbage, though. The writing is sub-par, and the articles are rather boring. Maybe it's because I have no interest whatsoever in ISU sports, but I rarely even bother to pick up a copy on the way to class. I realize these guys have full class schedules, and are ussually under strict deadlines, but I'd expect more out of them if they are Journalism Majors.

Deadguy
03-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
The Daily Illini Editorials section alone was worth the paper when I was there in the early 90s. Some of the people had some of the funniest opinions. Horribly ignorant - but funny.

I remember they had a "Shout Outs" section in the Buzz every Thursday, and half of the comments were from girls slobbering over Damir Krupaljia and Robert Archibald. Then there were ussually openly racist shots at Frank Williams. It was almost sickening to read people's opinions on the athletes when they are protected by anonymity.

Ussually, there were pretty funny comments in general, and it was enough to motivate me to leave my appartment and actually go to lectures on Thursdays. The writing about music and entertainment was exceptional, IMO.

WinningUgly!
03-23-2004, 02:15 PM
So the White Sox are left with pretty much what they had last season, and that really isn't such a bad thing.

Hello Steven Wartman! You wrote an article titled "Who exactly are the Chicago White Sox?" & failed to even mention Ozzie Guillen's name!

:ozzie
"What's up with that?"