PDA

View Full Version : Frank and Sir Charles

fledgedrallycap
03-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Great read on whitesox.com about Frank Thomas and his pal Charles Barkley.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040321&content_id=664624&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

Thomas credits the chipper attitude to none other than Charles Barkley, the former National Basketball Association star and fellow Auburn alum who had his No. 34 retired by the Phoenix Suns on Saturday night.

"He's one of my favorite people," Thomas said. "He told me to lighten up. To have some fun."

Thomas has apparently taken the advice to heart. The two play golf at least once an offseason and as they ride from hole to hole, Thomas has listened to life according to Charles, who "has a terrible (golf) swing," Thomas said with a chuckle.

StepsInSC
03-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks for that, I enjoyed it. Sounds like Thomas is getting some stuff together...I hope it all just comes together once the season starts.

sas1974
03-23-2004, 11:45 AM
Does anyone else find it ironic that Frank is taking PR advice from Barkley?

pearso66
03-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Maybe Barkley is good for PR. He was after all best friends with Michael Jordan. And he always knew what to say.

Deadguy
03-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Odd how this article turned into an off topic piece about Barkley and his affiliation with the Suns. I mean, this was written by a writer from MLB.com, and the only connection that Barkley had to the story was that he offered some advice to Thomas. There were also no direct quotes from Barkley about Thomas, so that turn in the article seemed rather pointless and unnecessary, unless the writer was trying to analogize a perceived bitterness that Thomas has/had towards the White Sox and ownership, the same way Barkley felt slighted by the Suns, and that Thomas should just get over it and move on.