PDA

View Full Version : Nossek a Scout?


crector
03-23-2004, 06:32 AM
Here's something interesting: the talk is about Nossek becoming a scout for the Sox. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't scouting involve sitting in the stands? How is that any different or for that matter less painful than sitting in a dugout?

Consider this: Let's say that you are the Sox bench coach. You also have arthritis and it hurts, but you love both baseball and the Sox so much, it really doesn't matter. Your boss is Jerry Manuel who both respects you and listens to you. Now, all of a sudden, Manuel is replaced by Ozzie Guillen who doesn't really listen to you or respect you. Isn't it possible that you would not be willing to go through the pain just to put up with Ozzie?

There is definitely a lot more to the Nossek resignation than the Sox have let on.

anewman35
03-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by crector
Here's something interesting: the talk is about Nossek becoming a scout for the Sox. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't scouting involve sitting in the stands? How is that any different or for that matter less painful than sitting in a dugout?

Living at home and going to some games in your area is a very different thing than being on the road for 6 or 7 months out of the year.

Mickster
03-23-2004, 09:17 AM
From my understanding, and according the the interview with JR during saturday's game, Nossek will be scouting teams from his home in the Cleveland area by watching DirecTv with MLB extra innings. He will be reporting to the sox almost daily.

Don't make it anything more than what it is. He has been complaining about pain for the last 2 years. Nothing more, nothing less. Apparently wasn't a real "shocker" around camp.

sas1974
03-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by crector
There is definitely a lot more to the Nossek resignation than the Sox have let on.

I think it's what you see is what you get with this one. Don't we have enough real issues w/o making up new ones?

It's important not to underestimate the toll that all of that traveling can take on a man of his age.

That being said, I think he seems like the kind of guy that will be glued to the tv watching games and helping anyway that he can. It seems like it was a very difficult decision for him to walk away from a game he has been around so long.

Tekijawa
03-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Mickster
From my understanding, and according the the interview with JR during saturday's game, Nossek will be scouting teams from his home in the Cleveland area by watching DirecTv with MLB extra innings. He will be reporting to the sox almost daily.

That might be the GREATEST job discription I have EVER SEEN!!! Hey Joe if you lurk here and you need an assistant I'll GLADLY sign up! If not anyone know where I can find one of these jobs?

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Does this mean the White Sox might not make first time pitchers vs the Sox look like Cy Young?

Tekijawa
03-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Does this mean the White Sox might not make first time pitchers vs the Sox look like Cy Young? Only when the team we're playing resides in or arround Cleveland.

jabrch
03-23-2004, 12:30 PM
A scout can pick and chose when and where to see certain players also. He can minimize his road time, get video where possible, use phone to talk to players, etc. A bench coach is constantly on the road traveling living the life. Not easy on anyone - let alone a man of Nossek's age.

Brian26
03-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Nossek will be scouting teams from his home in the Cleveland area by watching DirecTv with MLB extra innings. He will be reporting to the sox almost daily.

Sign me up for this job! Sounds fun.

davenicholson
03-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Sign me up for this job! Sounds fun.
The bad news is that you have to re-lo to Cleveland. :(:

bc2k
03-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
Does this mean the White Sox might not make first time pitchers vs the Sox look like Cy Young?

I thought the same thing. Not that I know anything about the job, but games like the ones you mentioned helped me conclude that the Sox advanced scouting is horrible. Nossek's injuries may be a blessing in disguise because he is probably more valuable in an advanced scouting role than as bench coach.