PDA

View Full Version : Where's that trade?

A. Cavatica
03-22-2004, 10:33 PM
It's getting to the point where KW needs to pull the trigger on any spring-training trade he's been working. We haven't heard many rumors lately, but I refuse to believe he's satisfied with the team on the field. I say there's a 75% chance something happens in the next week. Please let it be Konerko for a starter...

The_Floridian
03-22-2004, 10:49 PM
Everyone seems to have their hearts set on starting Willie and Juan at 2nd base. And at this point it might be too late to pull out of that...

BUT!!!

If we deal Konerko for a starter, we can afford to deal a young arm to a Baltimore team that desperately needs one in exchange for Jerry Hairston Jr.

Jerry's fast, has a good batting eye, is a solid fielding second baseman, and is only 27. Plus, he's in a second base battle in Baltimore with Brian Roberts, so he'd probably dig the opportunity for more playing time in Chicago.

PLUS:

Jerry's dad, Jerry Senior (a.k.a.-Popeye) is the Sox all-time leader in pinch hits with 87, and his grandpa Sam was the first American-born black player ont he Sox (he joined three months after Cuban-born Minoso).

We know Reinsdorf is a big fan of team nepotism, so he'd probably enjoy a third generation of Hairstons on the South Side.

Now look, I like Willie. I really do. I think we owe him a good long look this season after he kicked ass down in AAA last year once he got sent down. He might work out, he might not. But I like the decision to give him the opportunity.

But if it ain't happenin', I say we go after Hairston Jr.

After we get another starter for Konerko, of course.

RichFitztightly
03-22-2004, 11:19 PM
I'd say there's about a 75% chance of a trade not happening. That being said, I think the line about Rauch being sent down to stretch out so he's ready for the regular season is K-Dub's version of trying to build Rauch's value for a potential trade. I don't think they have any intention of bringing him up to the majors.

uribe151
03-22-2004, 11:24 PM
the dodgers need some pop
first base is open
they have plenty of pitching

management is feeling the heat
(puny offense killed them last year)
expectations are high

bye bye konerko
please note: Gload (LEFTY) can play!

soxtalker
03-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by uribe151
the dodgers need some pop
first base is open
they have plenty of pitching

management is feeling the heat
(puny offense killed them last year)
expectations are high

bye bye konerko
please note: Gload (LEFTY) can play!

Is this based on any new information from the Dodger camp? I'm not talking about rumors. Rather, half of the trade equation is what we need and can give up, and half is what the other team needs and can give up. (Well, there's at least one more factor -- who else is available from other teams.) We've spent a lot of time on this board talking about our impressions of the Sox camp. But has anything changed in the Dodger camp? Unfortunately, we don't see them very much, as they train in Florida.

uribe151
03-23-2004, 11:56 AM
the hang up has been the management situation with the dodgers.

new owners (they seem goofy, of course) are in; new gm is in

(notice ex sox exec evans was let go after about 2 yrs (acquired hundley, mcgriff...YIPES!)) their fans slowly went nuts last year behind superb pitching
and awful offense

THEY NEED HITTERS

I just hope we don't give magglio

jabrch
03-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by uribe151
the hang up has been the management situation with the dodgers.

I think the hangup is more that PK sucks and has a inflator to his contract to 9.5mm if he gets traded. I know the Dodgers need hitting - but is he the best thing available to them? I can't imagine that is possible. Depodesta has 5 years to make this thing work. He is not going to screw the future of the franchise by trading for PK. We'd have had a better chance if Dan Evans was still around.

lowesox
03-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Actually, at this point, I'd only welcome a trade that involved us sending minor leaguers for a player. Konerko could go either way this year, but I'd rather take a chance on him upping his trade value before we do anything with him. He's been coming on a bit lately, let's see what he does.

The real trade we should be looking at is with Baltimore. They have an extra starting second baseman and we need one. Hairston would make this team a lot better. Does anybody know if he can play shortstop?

soxtalker
03-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Actually, at this point, I'd only welcome a trade that involved us sending minor leaguers for a player. Konerko could go either way this year, but I'd rather take a chance on him upping his trade value before we do anything with him. He's been coming on a bit lately, let's see what he does.

The real trade we should be looking at is with Baltimore. They have an extra starting second baseman and we need one. Hairston would make this team a lot better. Does anybody know if he can play shortstop?

Interesting how perspectives differ. At this point I'd welcome a trade with the Dodgers that brought us only (quality) minor leaguers in exchange for Konerko. In part, I'd like to improve the farm system. But, in addition, minor leaguers can be used as the currency in trades later in the season. It isn't that I'm terribly negative on Konerko either; hopefully, he would really help the Dodgers. It is just that spring training has shown the emergence of Gload, who, along with Frank, could probably take over the 1B job.

StepsInSC
03-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Would Depodesta (sp?) actually take PK though? I don't know that it actually was the hangup but Konerko isn't exactly his type of player IIRC.