PDA

View Full Version : This sounds familiar

Paulwny
09-09-2001, 10:53 AM
Jay's manager Buck Matinez on next season:

Asked if he thinks he will be managing in a different way next season, Martinez replied: "Absolutely.

"We'll be stressing defence, base running, stealing, the hit- and-run, first-pitch strikes, more walks and speed, speed, speed."

Two of the areas he will be focusing on are being sure the team utilizes its speed and cutting back on the number of strikeouts. Getting his hitters to make more contact, to stop being free swingers, to cut down on their swing once they have two strikes, will be a more difficult chore.

Martinez believes the Jays have had problems with this aspect of the game because they've never really tried to change. That, he said, will change.

"We have to reduce our number of strikeouts and we will," Martinez said. "Strikeouts are such an 0-for, they give you no chance.

"You know why it hasn't changed? Because they never try. If they say, 'Well, this is how I hit,' I'll say `Well, you're hitting .250, that way's not working.' "

Spiff
09-09-2001, 11:06 AM
The Jays are way worse off than the Sox. If I was a Jays fan I'd stay away from tall buildings and sharp objects.