4T ron santo

rate 1-8 use each number once

part 2
rate the past sox announcers
scale 1-10 10 being highsome names- add your own

harry caray 10
ralph faucher (too young)
jack drees (too young)
tom paciorek (8 for humor, 1 for insightful analysis)

JohnJeter
03-22-2004, 05:43 PM
You gotta have Piersall in there. Fantastic entertainment value. I don't think you could beat Piersall and Caray together, especially during the second game of a twin bill, when Harry's Falstaff was kicking in and Piersall's medication was wearing off (or so it seemed!).

On a side note, every time I see "Fear Strikes Out", I'm reminded of Piersall's comment about Anthony Perkins "throwing like a girl".

ChiSox14305635
03-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Hawk Harrelson 1 (The man brims of enthusiam)
Ed Farmer 4 (Funny, odd, and knowledgable all at the same time)
john Rooney 2 (To quote JHood: SOLID!)
Darren Jackson 6 (Feisty's getting better, but still no Wimpy..yet)
chip caray 7 (Not bad, gets too much flak. Tough replacing a legend)
steve stone 5 (Decent, but acts too much like a know-it-all)
pat hughes 3 (Monotone, yet somewhat underrated.)
ron santo 8 (OH NOOOOOOO!!!!!! Brian Kenny on Sportscenter has this down to a tee)

To also throw a few other Sox announcers out there: Lorn Brown/Del Crandall on the radio. Wayne Hagin doing color commentary on the radio (before Farmer replaced him).

Hangar18
03-22-2004, 06:28 PM
I'll rate the flubby announcers for kicks. Caray, Stone, Hughes, Santo.
Steve Stone is a very Smart baseball announcer, but something happened to him when he came back to the flubs, in that he has become a "Company Man". He isnt critical when he needs to be, and more importantly, when he Normally Would Be. Thats important in that hes become as much of a HOMER as Caray is.
Being a homer isnt so bad, it just depends on what he adds to the telecast. Reason it doesnt work because Caray is so damn over the top and bombastic, it reeks of Fakeness. Chip Caray is the Broadcast version of Billy Corgan, a geeky guy trying way to hard to fit in. Fitting that hes a cub announcer, because thats the attitude one gets from their fans, very plastic. Stone trying to be a "softer" version of Caray only makes HIM look bad and the two of them together a Very Bad Mix. I remember Chimp being Very good as a network guy. I get the feeling he let the cubbie euphoria wash over him and he let himself get to "cubby", which we know is Never a good thing.

Pat Hughes has a decent radio voice, but is also too over the top with his all-over-the-roadway 'baseball' discussions and way-way-way over-the-top broadcast style. He strikes one as the School Buffoon who you suspect might actually be smarter than he lets on. These are things that can be corrected or toned down depending on his broadcast partner, and unfortuneately for him, really Gets Dumbed Down with Santos inane topics, foolish use of baseball subjects, mispronunciation of terms, rambling subject material, forgetfulness of topics and just plain lack of adding anything material to the broadcast. I hate to say this, but that guy has gotten WORSE than ever. Hes easily the worst announcer Ive heard in 20 something years. Listening to Hughes have to stop and bring Santo along gets tiring and annoying both to the Listener AND to Hughes. Ron Santos the broadcast Piano strapped to Pat Hughes' back. Hes dragging Hughes down the broadcast toilet with him and I stop short of saying Hughes is awful, only because Pat is the proverbial kid-hanging-around-the-wrong-crowd. Funny how being associated with the cubs can
do that to someone heh heh.
I cant believe im saying this, but these 4 are really BAD, and 3 of
them are capable of much much better. The guy that really has no excuse is Steve Stone. I dont know what happened to him
when he took the time off, but hes not the same, intelligent, insightful announcer I remember before he retired. Santo,
I cant believe im even mentioning him in the same sentence
as the other 3 buffoons

Medford Bobby
03-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Bring back The Commander Bob Elson!!!!!!!! " :smile: S-w-i-n-g and a miss" :D:

JohnBasedowYoda
03-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Nothing against the tv guys but i usually mute the tv to hear the calls from radio boys. i love it though when dj and hawk disagree on something and have one of their little spats.

as for the enemy announcers, don't like them. no reason to even hear them (except when the Sox are at Chewing Gum Field)

SoxFan76
03-22-2004, 07:22 PM
1. Hawk Harrelson

Best announcer in baseball. He is amazing. And he can be critical at times, although it is very subtle.

2. John Rooney

Another great baseball guy. Very entertaining to listen to. "A White Sox winner!"

3. Darren Jackson

Not my favorite, but better than the schlubs taking spots 4-8. He is not bad. His first year was very shaky, but he has gotten comfortable it seems with Hawk. He definitely doesn't have the baseball experience of Hawk, but you can tell he enjoys talking baseball and he learns a lot from Hawk.

4. Ed Farmer

He annoys me. His monotonous voice is hard to listen to. But he gets rated above Stone because Stone has a more annoying voice than Farmer. He is also a very smart baseball man. Just doesn't seem to have much of a personality.

5. Steve Stone

This guy pisses me off. I hate his voice. That sterotypical announcer voice is so annoying. He really knows his baseball, but he knows too much. He says the most in depth things during broadcasts that the average fan could care less about.

6. Pat Hughes

BAD, enough said.

7. Chip Caray

This guy takes the cake for the most annoying voice in Chicago. He has been brainwashed with all things Cubbie. He is very lucky granddaddy made a name for himself on the northside. Doesn't know anything about baseball, and is extremely annoying.

8. Ron Santo

Ok, ok. He is sick. I understand. But get him off the air!! It's hard to believe he played the game with all the stupid things he says. It's time to get away from the mic.

soxwon
03-22-2004, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoxFan76
[B]1. Hawk Harrelson

8. Ron Santo

Ok, ok. He is sick. I understand. But get him off the air!! It's hard to believe he played the game with all the stupid things he says. It's time to get away from the mic.

I TOTALLY AGREE- HIS VOICE IS SO BAD BY EVEN THE 4TH INNNING, HE IS STILL VERY ILL.
WONT SOMEONE TELL HIM HES AWFULL?
HE SHOULD RETTIRE- HE WILL NEVER MAKE THE HOF!

SoxxoS
03-22-2004, 07:51 PM
"NOOOO....HE DROPPED THE BALL!!!!!!"

One of the best calls in baseball, I will give Santo that.

owensmouth
03-22-2004, 09:25 PM
I was listening to Bob Elson and Don Wells when I was a kid. They were the best pair of Sox announcers that I've heard. They were real baseball people who made you proud to be Sox fans.

I think Rooney and Farmio are the best pair we've had since then. Farmer can teach pitching and knows the ins and outs of baseball. Rooney is one of the best kept secrets in broadcast sports. Togeather, they sound like they enjoy doing what they do and doing it well.

Every once in a while Farmer will go off in a tangent (mountain lions being the latest) but that's okay. It proves he's human. His reaction to the fiasco in Yankee Stadium came through loud and clear.

I do wish they'd quit interviewing old Yankees.

Can't say much about sCum broadcasters, because I never listen to them.

uribe151
03-22-2004, 09:38 PM
1. hughes
2. rooney
3. darrin jackson
4. santo
5. stone
6. carey
7. farmer (boring, dopey)
8. hawk (phony know-nothing know-it-all)

harry carey...10...he saved the sox
bob elson...10...his voice sounded like a ballgame

bring back paciorek!!

jimmy piersall, too!!

ok, lorne brown, too!

SSN721
03-23-2004, 07:28 AM
1) Hawk Harrelson
I stated many times, just think of him as the voice of a Sox Broadcast

3) Ed Farmer
I think Ed is full of insight, very intelligent baseball man, his quips and with with Rooney make for good radio.

2) john Rooney
I think John is one of the best radio broadcasts in all of baseball. I think ESPN uses him for a reason during playoff broadcasts, simply one of the best.

6) Darren Jackson
DJ isn't too bad, is actually a lot of fun when he has a little on-air spat with Hawk. I think he has some good insight and can be intelligent.

8) chip caray
This guy is just a major homer and you would have to put a gun to his head for him to say anything at all critical about the Cubs organization or players. But sometimes just his stupidity and poor broadcasting skills makes me laugh.

5) steve stone
I think Steve is an excellent broadcaster and one of the best things about Cubs broadcasts. He has a lot of insight and always seems to counter stupid comments by Chip with intelligent ones of his own.

4) pat hughes
I feel that Pat is an excellent broadcaster and although seemingly monotone really knows what he is talking about and a great counter to the buffoonery of Santo.

7) ron santo
I couldn't put Santo last only because of the utter laugh-ability and amusement I get from his radio broadcasts. Its like watching an MST3K episode, his skills and comments are so bad that they are funny and I actually find myself tuning into radio broadcasts (when the Sox are not playing of course) just to hear the next stupid comment he will make.

jabrch
03-23-2004, 07:45 AM
rate the following announcers:
Hawk Harrelson - 2
Ed Farmer - 5
john Rooney - 4
Darren Jackson - 6
chip caray - 7
steve stone - 1
pat hughes - 3
ron santo - 460,346,098,867

DEAD LAST = Ron Santo. Painful to listen to. YUCK

TornLabrum
03-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
\ron santo - 460,346,098,867

DEAD LAST = Ron Santo. Painful to listen to. YUCK

:santo

"OOOOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Veeky
03-23-2004, 11:47 AM
1. Hawk Harrelson - Voice of the Sox is damn right. Needs someoine to "challenge" him and help him channel his strenghts -- his love for the game, his quirky personality from another time and place, and his vast body of knowledge -- even if half of said knowledge is probably apocryphal.

2. Steve Stone -- used to loathe him, but objectively speaking, he is a quality broadcaster. Doesn't get Hawk's points for entertaiment and style, but from the purely content standpoint, he is one of the best.

3. Ed Farmer -- when he babble about word-play, it's unlisteneable. But when there is something worth of interest that takes place on the field -- especially if it's an error by the Sox or a base-running blunder -- his thinly-veiled rage is a pleasure to listen to.

Honorable mention: Rooney and Hughes.

tebman
03-23-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I'll rate the flubby announcers for kicks. Caray, Stone, Hughes, Santo.
Steve Stone is a very Smart baseball announcer, but something happened to him when he came back to the flubs, in that he has become a "Company Man". He isnt critical when he needs to be, and more importantly, when he Normally Would Be. Thats important in that hes become as much of a HOMER as Caray is.
Being a homer isnt so bad, it just depends on what he adds to the telecast. Reason it doesnt work because Caray is so damn over the top and bombastic, it reeks of Fakeness. Chip Caray is the Broadcast version of Billy Corgan, a geeky guy trying way to hard to fit in. Fitting that hes a cub announcer, because thats the attitude one gets from their fans, very plastic. Stone trying to be a "softer" version of Caray only makes HIM look bad and the two of them together a Very Bad Mix. I remember Chimp being Very good as a network guy. I get the feeling he let the cubbie euphoria wash over him and he let himself get to "cubby", which we know is Never a good thing.

Pat Hughes has a decent radio voice, but is also too over the top with his all-over-the-roadway 'baseball' discussions and way-way-way over-the-top broadcast style. He strikes one as the School Buffoon who you suspect might actually be smarter than he lets on. These are things that can be corrected or toned down depending on his broadcast partner, and unfortuneately for him, really Gets Dumbed Down with Santos inane topics, foolish use of baseball subjects, mispronunciation of terms, rambling subject material, forgetfulness of topics and just plain lack of adding anything material to the broadcast...

I cant believe im saying this, but these 4 are really BAD, and 3 of
them are capable of much much better. The guy that really has no excuse is Steve Stone. I dont know what happened to him
when he took the time off, but hes not the same, intelligent, insightful announcer I remember before he retired. Santo,
I cant believe im even mentioning him in the same sentence
as the other 3 buffoons

Oh, man -- the Cubs' shills are really, really annoying. I can never
listen to more that a few minutes of one of their broadcasts
without gritting my teeth. Hughes sounds to me like a cartoon
caricature of an announcer: "It's a BEAUTiful day at -- WRIGley
Field -- home of the -- ChiCAgo Cubs!" He speaks in that
melodramatic voice full of round tones. Caray is clearly paid
to be sunny and nothing else, and there really is nothing else.
Steve Stone is deeply in love with his voice, which is a shame
because his commentary can be pretty interesting.
I feel sorry for Santo. He was a great 3rd Baseman, but this is
definitely not his gig, especially since his illness has gotten worse.

Conversely, I really enjoy Rooney and Farmer. Rooney is solid,
and though Farmer can get off on monotonous tangents
sometimes, I appreciate his unblinking insights. The announcers
fit the teams and their fans: the Cubs have shallow cheerleaders
and the Sox have skeptical students of the game.

- tebman

poorme
03-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by tebman
the Sox have skeptical students of the game.

- tebman

I can't buy that. They're the biggest bunch of homers out there.

"Willie Harris is the greatest defensive player I've ever seen! Mercy!"

Mammoo
03-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Hawk Harrelson-6
Ed Farmer-8
john Rooney-7
Darren Jackson-3
chip caray-5
steve stone-2
pat hughes-1
ron santo-4

Sorry....our guys just out and out SUCK!!! :(:

jabrch
03-23-2004, 12:37 PM
What's the old saying about a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest?

tebman
03-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by poorme
I can't buy that. They're the biggest bunch of homers out there.

"Willie Harris is the greatest defensive player I've ever seen! Mercy!"

Nice catch -- Harrelson's an unapologetic homer. Though he's
colorful (when he wants to be), I don't think he's as good to
listen to during a game are are Rooney and Farmer.

- tebman

petekat
03-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Hawk Harrelson - 5T
Ed Farmer - 3
john Rooney- 1
Darren Jackson - 2
chip caray -5T
steve stone -4
pat hughes -7
ron santo -8

DJ has really come around, Rooney and Farmer are a great tag team- way they switch off play by play and color, and go solo for long stretches. Though gotta ding Farmer for all his domer references. Stone used to be top 1 or 2 but agree with observation that he's fallen off.

Hawk is way more knowledgeable than Caray but is too full of himself. Caray is a feathery lighweight, but pretty harmless- and at least keeps things peppy.

Cubs radio team- Please make it stop!!!!

The attendance game? The shout outs to the audience?

Aside from having no context of what the hell is going on in the game, any insight on the players, asking stupid questions he can look up - did this guy play in Cincy last season? Isn't he a lefty?)- how about the typical blathering during the course of play: NON STOP BELLOWING/WHIMPERING when something exciting is happening on the field. No context, no analysis. Bringing absolutely nothing to the table.

Please Ronnie, you had a great career as a player. Get well. But hang it up!

harry caray- as a Sox accouncer- 7 or 8 out of 10. As a fat, overrated, tired Cub announcer - a 3 out of 10.

Jimmy- a 6 or 7.

Jimmy + Harry together in the booth at each other's trhoats- a 9 out of 10!

Wimpy- a 7, but overshadowed by Hawk.

SoxFan76
03-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Can someone compare the White Sox Harry Caray with the neo-Harry Caray of the Cubs for an 18 year old who didn't experience Harry and Jimmy?

TornLabrum
03-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
Can someone compare the White Sox Harry Caray with the neo-Harry Caray of the Cubs for an 18 year old who didn't experience Harry and Jimmy?

Chip is unworthy of carrying Harry's beer mug.

FoulTerritory
03-23-2004, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by poorme
[B]I can't buy that. They're the biggest bunch of homers out there.

You can be a homer and "critical" at the same time.

Homer: you are ostensibly pulling for the team you work for.

Critical: you aren't afraid to be critical of that very team.

If you ask me, Hawk is great because he is obviously for the Sox, but unlike Chip, isn't afraid to be somewhat critical, even if it is subtle.

I mean, when the Sox are screwing up bad, just the tone of Hawks voice -- sarcastic, and even bitter at times -- is never heard from Chip.

oldcomiskey
03-23-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by uribe151
1. hughes
2. rooney
3. darrin jackson
4. santo
5. stone
6. carey
7. farmer (boring, dopey)
8. hawk (phony know-nothing know-it-all)

harry carey...10...he saved the sox
bob elson...10...his voice sounded like a ballgame

bring back paciorek!!

jimmy piersall, too!!

ok, lorne brown, too!

You just lost what little credability you had with Me--saying Hawk is bad is one thing-----but putting him in back of those guys is nonesense---go play in someones elses backyard

SoxFan76
03-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Chip is unworthy of carrying Harry's beer mug.

Oops, sorry. I didn't phrase my question really well. I meant for someone to compare the White Sox announcer Harry Caray with the Cubs announcer Harry Caray. Because my only memories of Harry are senseless mumbling about nothing. I figure he must of been good at some point in his life.

TornLabrum
03-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
Oops, sorry. I didn't phrase my question really well. I meant for someone to compare the White Sox announcer Harry Caray with the Cubs announcer Harry Caray. Because my only memories of Harry are senseless mumbling about nothing. I figure he must of been good at some point in his life.

You apparently missed the Sox-Red Sox game from 1981 on ESPN Classic Saturday afternoon. Harry and Jimmy in top form.

SoxFan76
03-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Don't get ESPN Classic. I wish I did.

A.T. Money
03-24-2004, 02:46 PM
I remember when Olivo hit that grand slam at the Urinal in the first inning and Santo went "Ohhhhhhhhhh Boooooy."