PDA

View Full Version : Twins new cable station has 0 viewers

Fenway
03-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Once again the fans are the losers

Still no deal for cable, satellite TV coverage in Twin Cities (http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/4677302.html)

Jerko
03-22-2004, 04:28 PM
I hope this doesn't happen to us after this season.

Frater Perdurabo
03-22-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerko

But won't the new Chicago sports channel have Sox, Cubs, Bulls and Blackhawks games? I hate to say it, but given their large fan base, just having the Cubs on there should guarantee that the cable providers would pick up the channel.

Jerko
03-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
But won't the new Chicago sports channel have Sox, Cubs, Bulls and Blackhawks games? I hate to say it, but given their large fan base, just having the Cubs on there should guarantee that the cable providers would pick up the channel.

I think Comcast is picking it up but I don't know how that will affect DirecTV or Dish network

Fenway
03-22-2004, 04:49 PM
If you on a Comcast system you will be fine.

HOWEVER

Dish TV and Direct TV carry Comcast MID-ATLANTIC but that is because Comcast purchased the former Home Team Sports Network.

In Philadelphia, Comcast Sports is NOT available on the dish, as the cable giant wants you to have cable.

Since the new service in Chicago is a startup, I suspect the bean counters at the home office in Philadelphia will do the same in Chicagoland.

Comcast Sports Net (http://comcastsportsnet.com)

DirecTV REGIONAL SPORTS NETWORKS (http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/Packages_SportsPack.jsp)

Dish Network packages (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/packages/at_150/index.asp?viewby=1&packid=10045&sortby=1)
Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia (cable only)

Fox Sports Chicago general manager Jim Corno defected to Comcast SportsNet Chicago following Comcast's acquisition of the broadcast rights to the market's major sports teams --the Chicago Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs and White Sox. Corno will serve as senior vp and general manager of the Comcast net effective March 1.

Comcast SportsNet is a joint venture with the Bulls, White Sox, Blackhawks and Tribune Co. --which owns the Cubs-- that formed last year to rival Fox Sports Chicago. The network launches on Oct. 1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corno has been involved since the SportsVision days and he isn't stupid, but how this plays out will be at the home office in Philadelphia.

Comcast Corporation
1500 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

I would STRONGLY start screaming now

anewman35
03-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Jerko

Our new station is going to be owned by Comcast, which also owns almost all the cable tv in the area. I wouldn't forsee a problem.

Tekijawa
03-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Just contract them already!!! :D:

Fenway
03-22-2004, 05:47 PM
It may become a big problem for those with a dish.

They have refused to back down in Philadelphia even though they are walking away from 10% of the market...If you want Philly sports, it is either Comcast or the radio.

I suspect they will do the same thing in Chicago as the dish people are doing quite nicely, last figure I saw were about 14% of all homes in the tri-state market.

Originally posted by anewman35
Our new station is going to be owned by Comcast, which also owns almost all the cable tv in the area. I wouldn't forsee a problem.

Medford Bobby
03-22-2004, 07:52 PM
It's nice that Dish Net now has MLB package....I wish they had a hometeam package, I might fork out 39.95 a year for unlimted Sox games.................. :?:

pearso66
03-22-2004, 07:56 PM
well to me it doesnt look like its the cable stations not picking up the Twins network, the Twins owners are demanding too much money. They were offered 12 mil to go back to fox sports net, but turned it down because they were sure they would get more. but $2.30 or so per household for a station that carries the Twins and high school sports? I wouldnt pay

Lip Man 1
03-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Naturally the 'free' preview running April 5th through April 11th sees the Sox on the road...

As far as the Twins story, if you read the entire article it states that 200,000 people will be getting it but none of the large corporate entities (at least not yet...) have agreed to the 'demands' of the Pohland family.

Lip

hsnterprize
03-22-2004, 08:48 PM
If this new network is going to pose a problem with those who have a dish...what about those of us who have cable, but not Comcast? I've already sent stuff to my cable provider to have them get Comcast Sports Net next year.

hsnterprize
03-22-2004, 09:10 PM
And here's what I said...

My name is ********** (name blocked out for privacy reasons), and I'm from Chicago, Illinois. It is to my understanding that starting October of this year, Comcast will debut it's newest branch of the Comcast Sports Network here in Chicago. From what I'm learning, Comcast SportsNet will broadcast Chicago Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks games instead of the current provider, Fox Sports Net. I can say on behalf of many Chicagoans who are fans of these teams...welcome to Chicago. However, before the "red carpet" is laid out upon your network's arrival, there is a concern I'd like to address.

Comcast is the overwhelming cable provider here in Chicagoland (the city of Chicago and surrounding suburbs). However, there are some who do not subscribe to Comcast. People like myself either subscribe to a competing cable provider or satellite service (I subscribe to Wide Open West Cable which is new to the Chicagoland area). In either way, we enjoy the capability of being able to choose our provider even though all cable/satellite subscribers watch the same programming. There are some of us who are concerned that since this network is owned by Comcast, that only Comcast subscribers will be able to watch the programming. Once again, even though a large majority of Chicagoans subscribe to Comcast cable, not everyone in Chicagoans does. Can your company assure all of us, whether a non-Comcast cable or satellite subscriber, that we'll be able to watch Comcast SportsNet without having to switch to Comcast if we're satisfied with our provider? I'd like some feedback on that if at all possible.

Thanks for taking the time to read this letter. I would love to hear from someone connected with the bringing of Comcast SportsNet to Chicago about this matter at the person's earliest convenience. Thank you once again for coming to Chicago, and I would like to personally request that your network strive to include ALL of us who love our sports in this town. A network like this, with so many games featuring our favorite teams, should NOT be only available to a select few.

I hope this starts a letter writing campaign to the folks in Philly to make them realize not everyone wants Comcast services. I looked on the channel list in Philly, and it looks like non-Comcast cable subscribers will get this channel when it comes out. So now the only question is what about the satellite subscribers? If you have Echostar, DirecTV, or Dish Network, I suggest you write both Comcast SportsNet AND your satellite provider and tell them you want this channel.

Hangar18
03-23-2004, 09:35 AM
I think the Pohlad family is really starting to feel the effects of "Insider Info" and the reality they Blew It when they let the
Messiah fall to the cubs