PDA

View Full Version : My Spring Training Report

Happy Felsch Fan
03-22-2004, 02:15 PM
I went to three Sox games last week, two in Phoenix and one in Tucson. As you all know these games are meaningless except to look at some individual performance.

Here is my report.

Shingo looks like the crappiest pitcher I have ever seen.
Showeinweiss looks like the 2nd crappiest.
Loiaza looks like a 15 game winner.
Garland looks like Garland.
Middle relief walk ons and rookie pitching look weak.
Did not get to see Marte or Polite.
Saw Koch and he looked like Koch. Maybe he is throwing harder but I can't tell 90mph from 92 mph with the naked eye.

Uribe is bigger than I thought. He has some power potential and showed a good arm at short with velocity and a easy throwing motion. If this guy could ever hit .300 again we would have something.

Harris looked terrible at bat and OK in the field. Harris looked quick running to first and slow stealing 2nd.

Who was that guy named Smith playing 3rd? He sucked. Some other guy named Lopez was terrible as was Dransfeldt.

Gload is willing to play any position and bat anywhere.
Sweeny, Anderson and Reed all got hits in the same inning. This is the future my friends. Sweeny looks like a stud.

Mags, Thomas, Konerko,Crede,Valentine,Lee,Rowand,Olivio,Alomar, all look ready to go. Ozzie is jumping all over the place including the stands before the game.

I think our defense will be acceptable this year, our starting pitching will be spotty as will our middle relief.

Had a great time the weather was great. Tucson Electric is a really nice place to watch a game and the brats where good.

maurice
03-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Happy Felsch Fan
Some other guy named Lopez was terrible

Probably Pedro Lopez. He's 19 years old. Give him some time.

Veeky
03-23-2004, 03:22 AM
Shingo looks like the crappiest pitcher I have ever seen.
Showeinweiss looks like the 2nd crappiest.
Loiaza looks like a 15 game winner.
Garland looks like Garland.
Middle relief walk ons and rookie pitching look weak.
Did not get to see Marte or Polite.
Saw Koch and he looked like Koch. Maybe he is throwing harder but I can't tell 90mph from 92 mph with the naked eye.

--I would be instersted to know what his pitch arsenal is. I hope he can get RH's out on consistent basis.
--Show is working on his cutter/change and is K's a lot of guys. Might be a disaster, might be a success, too early to tell
--Loaiza will be ok....unless he lost all incentive to excel after such a magical year.
--They say Koch got it up to 97mph. Do people realize that is the fastest he's thrown in a YEAR? He will live and die with his curve and slider combo, but it's refereshing to hear that knews of his dead/injured arm have been greatly exaggerated.

Uribe is bigger than I thought. He has some power potential and showed a good arm at short with velocity and a easy throwing motion. If this guy could ever hit .300 again we would have something.

Uribe can't hit RHP -- what good is power if you can't connect.

Harris looked terrible at bat and OK in the field. Harris looked quick running to first and slow stealing 2nd.

Not a smart player. Excellent range at 2B, but mediocre jumps off 1B and no batspeed to speak of, which might prove reaching 1st base problematic.

Who was that guy named Smith playing 3rd? He sucked. Some other guy named Lopez was terrible as was Dransfeldt.

They will never see the light of day in the Majors, so forget their names.

Gload is willing to play any position and bat anywhere.

Unfortunately he is missing the two ingredients I want him to have the most -- patience at the plate and ability to play CF in order to give Rowand some competition against RHP, seeing as Jeremy Reed is simply not ready and Borchard's stock droppoing quick.

Sweeny, Anderson and Reed all got hits in the same inning. This is the future my friends. Sweeny looks like a stud.

Sweeney, Anderson and Nanita are at least 2-3 years away from making a ML impact --- if they ever will that is since odds are, at least 2 of them will fail somewhere along the developmental line.

Mags, Thomas, Konerko,Crede,Valentine,Lee,Rowand,Olivio,Alomar, all look ready to go. Ozzie is jumping all over the place including the stands before the game.

--Valentin is an idiot for not adopting LH-exclusive approach years ago. Would have saved himself a LOT of trouble, to say nothing of actually, I dunno, helping his team win -- I am sure his 350 RH OPS last season cost us a few games.
--Ordonez is not worth the 5/70-75 Mill he thinks he ill get. After winning that dreadful Las Vegas HR Derby event, his swing has been all kinds of screwed up and so far he is having a mediocre spring -- it doesn't bode well as our chances of making the playoffs are directly proportional to his ability to reach 1000 OPS plateu for the first time.
--Konerko is having a terrible spring by his standards.
--Olivo and Sandy on other hand are rockk solid
--Lee, now making 7 Mill a season, need to have a 850+ OPS to justify it. Solid ST so far.
--Rowand is cooling off.

Happy Felsch Fan
03-23-2004, 09:28 AM
You make alot of good points.

Harris gets terrible jumps stealing and has slow bat speed. I was really pulling for him but I don't think he will ever make it. The Sox have to find another solution(maybe a trade of some sort, but 2nd base talent is poor around the league)

If one out of three rookies make it, my money is on Sweeny.

Konerko was lights out last year ST, and look what happened.

I think Mags will turn it on when the bell rings.

Uribe is intriguing. He is very smooth in the field for such a big guy and is still very young. Can anyone think of another player of this type who all of a sudden, "got it" and became a decent hitter?

Crede looks very solid at third.

I think Jose will have a terrific year batting lefty and Uribe will platoon against LH pitchers which was the plan all along.

uribe151
03-23-2004, 12:14 PM
thanks for an insightful report and for noticing URIBE

did you see where colorado will have royce clayton at short and aaron myers at 2nd as their regulars?

HHHhhhmmmmmMMM

faneidde
03-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by uribe151
thanks for an insightful report and for noticing URIBE

did you see where colorado will have royce clayton at short and aaron myers at 2nd as their regulars?

HHHhhhmmmmmMMM
With those two, I think there's a place you'll regularly see Colorado this year...last place.

Baby Fisk
03-23-2004, 12:21 PM
:hitless

"Oh, yeah? I'll see you at the all star game, fools. I will carry this team. I am the greatest!"

sas1974
03-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
:hitless

"Oh, yeah? I'll see you at the all star game, fools. I will carry this team. I am the greatest!"

Only if you're buying a ticket, Royce. :D:

faneidde
03-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Only if you're buying a ticket, Royce. :D: :jerry
Actually, I plan on stuffing the ballot boxes for my main man since I don't really have anything to do this year. As we all know...
:thechoice