PDA

View Full Version : Boers & Bernstein Going to Tucson

Viva Magglio
03-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Terry Boers and Dan Bernstein are taking their Score show to Tucson this week. Gee, what is going on in Tucson?

soxnut
03-22-2004, 12:38 PM
I hope they stay there..they suck.

Irishsox1
03-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Any chance they might end up in a hole in the desert? Where's the mob when you need them?

Fridaythe13thJason
03-22-2004, 02:26 PM
If they went away and did not come back, my mornings would be miserable.

There is nothing better than those two tearing apart morons who call in and don't know what they're talking about.

Dan H
03-22-2004, 02:44 PM
It would be no loss to Chicago sports if these two never returned. Is there any possibility this may happen?

jabrch
03-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
It would be no loss to Chicago sports if these two never returned. Is there any possibility this may happen?

If your only sports radio option was The Moron, would you be happy?

CHISOXFAN13
03-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Let's say for the sake of the argument Boers and Bernsy dissapear, would Sox fans love a bigger dose of Murphy or North?

Didn't think so.

soxnut
03-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Let's say for the sake of the argument Boers and Bernsy dissapear, would Sox fans love a bigger dose of Murphy or North?

Didn't think so.

I would.

jabrch
03-22-2004, 03:05 PM

Didn't think so.

How about giving Buffone and Van Lier a show alone again? The FCC should have never tolerated that.

Fridaythe13thJason
03-22-2004, 03:13 PM
I actually enjoy the Jay Marriotti show. He often just tells it as it is. Sometimes, he's over the top, but often he's right on.

I could listen to Dan and Terry all day. Those two have amazing charisma, and they know their sports. They don't put up with BS and stupid callers, and I like that. I'm tired of listening to every tom dick and harry tell the world their stupid idea.

Murph and Fred are ok...but they can only talk baseball. When they talk anything else, they don't sound knowledgable.

You all know my thoughts on North. I turn to Dan Patrick immediately at 2:00.

fledgedrallycap
03-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by UICJason
I actually enjoy the Jay Marriotti show. He often just tells it as it is. Sometimes, he's over the top, but often he's right on.

I could listen to Dan and Terry all day. Those two have amazing charisma, and they know their sports. They don't put up with BS and stupid callers, and I like that. I'm tired of listening to every tom dick and harry tell the world their stupid idea.

Murph and Fred are ok...but they can only talk baseball. When they talk anything else, they don't sound knowledgable.

You all know my thoughts on North. I turn to Dan Patrick immediately at 2:00.

I honestly think that Fred will shoot Murph one morning on the air. You can just feel the hostility. That morning slot is so much more enjoyable when Murph is on vacation and Mullen or someone like that is a guest...

kittle42
03-22-2004, 04:42 PM

Didn't think so.

Anyone who craves more Mike North should be placed away in a special camp.

KingXerxes
03-22-2004, 04:51 PM
As far as Boers and Bernstein go - I hope they stay out in Arizona forever. Their show absolutely stinks these days. It was tolerable when they first teamed up, but now it's flat out bad. They seem put off by callers (even ones that agree with them), and they've developed a very annoying habit of being contrived contrarians with whatever conventional wisdom says.

I still can't believe that Chicago has such pathetic sports talk radio (WSCR and WMVP). The personalities are grating to say the least. They never offer any insight. They do almost zero reporting (or investigative journalism) - all they do is parrot what is on the wires. The most annoying part is that too many hosts are guys who have the intelligence of a flatworm but try to make up for it with emotion.

Listen to Dan Patrick on WMVP for two hours and then compare that to the schlubs we've got locally on both stations. It's depressing.

ChiSox14305635
03-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Mariotti's 2 hours consist of:

90 minutes praising the Cubs and whatever other local team is hot (today's choice: The Illini).

10 minutes (commercial breaks and Sportscenter updates)

10 minutes of listeners praising the Cubs and other hot local teams.

5 minutes of dead air (meant for Bulls/Blackhawks talk)

5 minutes of daily White Sox/Bears bashing.

That's what 2 hours get you.

Frankfan4life
03-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
As far as Boers and Bernstein go - I hope they stay out in Arizona forever. Their show absolutely stinks these days. It was tolerable when they first teamed up, but now it's flat out bad. They seem put off by callers (even ones that agree with them), and they've developed a very annoying habit of being contrived contrarians with whatever conventional wisdom says.

I still can't believe that Chicago has such pathetic sports talk radio (WSCR and WMVP). The personalities are grating to say the least. They never offer any insight. They do almost zero reporting (or investigative journalism) - all they do is parrot what is on the wires. The most annoying part is that too many hosts are guys who have the intelligence of a flatworm but try to make up for it with emotion.

Listen to Dan Patrick on WMVP for two hours and then compare that to the schlubs we've got locally on both stations. It's depressing.

That about sum's up my feelings. Boers and Bernstein were unnecessarily hard on a Sox fan this morning. The guy had a valid opinion and they just wanted to insult him. Who needs this kind of trash!?!

TornLabrum
03-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life
That about sum's up my feelings. Boers and Bernstein were unnecessarily hard on a Sox fan this morning. The guy had a valid opinion and they just wanted to insult him. Who needs this kind of trash!?!

I happened to be in the car and heard them take off on that guy. Unfortunately all Sox fans do not have the quality higher educations of Messrs. Boers and Bernstein, and so perhaps aren't able to present their opinions in a concise manner. They spent much of the rest of the program making fun of the guy, at least while I was flipping back and forth on the dial.

Today was just one more reason I'm listening less and less to The Score.

Dan H
03-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
If your only sports radio option was The Moron, would you be happy?

I don't consider what we have now much of option now anyway. Since I listen to sports radio so little, it doesn't matter to me. It just would be nice if these two guys disappeared, and they can take a bunch of people with them.

TornLabrum
03-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
I don't consider what we have now much of option now anyway. Since I listen to sports radio so little, it doesn't matter to me. It just would be nice if these two guys disappeared, and they can take a bunch of people with them.

I'm getting to the point where I've about quit listening to sportsblab radio. Murph and Fred have been replaced for much of my commute to work by Uncle Lar and Little Tommy. Once I get to DeKalb, Mac Jurko, and Harry get replaced by Steve Dahl.

Both are much more entertaining.

Win1ForMe
03-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by UICJason

I could listen to Dan and Terry all day. Those two have amazing charisma, and they know their sports.

Jason,

I don't want to get into a major argument with you, but have you actually tracked any of their "predictions" or opinions over a significant stretch of time?

I've actually made this point on another board a few days ago. I agree completely, they seem very much to be anti-homers (or anti-popular opinion) to create the illusion of an unbiased and "intelligent" sports show. But it's really just done to rile up the listener and get hometown rubes to call in and argue. (Cheap heat as they say in wrestling...I don't expect anyone to know what I'm talking about there).

And Xerxes, totally agree with you on the Dan Patrick show. Even Mike & Mike (no thanks to Golic) blows away anything our local sports radio has to offer.

Frankfan4life
03-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Unfortunately all Sox fans do not have the quality higher educations of Messrs. Boers and Bernstein, and so perhaps aren't able to present their opinions in a concise manner.

The point is the Sox fan who called in was not an idiot. In fact, he expressed himself quite well. He just wanted to voice his opinion in favor of Harold Baines. Then he got nailed by those two jerks because they happened to disagree with him.

To me, it doesn't make for good radio to have people ridiculed for their opinions (unless they're really stupid). What kind of "talk" show do you have when only people who agree with the hosts dare call in?

I'm sick and tired of these sarcastic Jack A's and I hope someone at The Score sees fit to get rid of them and hire some real talent.

Viva Magglio
03-22-2004, 11:22 PM
The caller to B&B's show indicated that Harold Baines was part of the White Flag Trade.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2004, 11:47 PM
He wasn't part of it directly but he was traded to the Orioles the day before the White Flag Trade went down. He was the precursor so to speak.

Lip

TornLabrum
03-22-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Frankfan4life
The point is the Sox fan who called in was not an idiot. In fact, he expressed himself quite well. He just wanted to voice his opinion in favor of Harold Baines. Then he got nailed by those two jerks because they happened to disagree with him.

To me, it doesn't make for good radio to have people ridiculed for their opinions (unless they're really stupid). What kind of "talk" show do you have when only people who agree with the hosts dare call in?

I'm sick and tired of these sarcastic Jack A's and I hope someone at The Score sees fit to get rid of them and hire some real talent.

I would also add that the caller was reacting to some comments callers made on Murphy's show, which they apparently did not listen to. It might be nice to know where the discussion has gone previously if you're going to work on a talk station.

They did have a very minor point that loving Chicago has nothing to do with being a bench coach, but they blew that comment up all out of proportion. Using a favorite word of Boers, they are both puds.

Veeky
03-22-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

It's a given that Score is worthless (Mike North making 3 Million? Travesty), but IMO Dan Berstein is brilliant.

Smart, satirical AND deceptively knowledgeable for someone in his ealry 30s. Caustic and cranky newspaperman Terry Boers I can take or leave -- has flashes of excellence and then goes into hour-long rot, but still a tolerable off-the-wall side-kick overall.

As far as that caller....PUH-LEASE -- the man couldn't articulate his thoughts and withstand a SIMPLE question, "Why SHOULD such an important position be given to Harold Baines....what qualifies him for the job?". Bernsy was pretty hard on him, but nothing was out of line and the caller had 3 minutes to explain himself, which is 10 times longer than unprofessional hacks Pepe North and J Hood will give you.

valposoxfan
03-23-2004, 12:01 AM
Some of you can't handle Boers and Bernstein because it's unlike any other sports talk show on radio anywhere. They are the best afternoon talk show period in Chicago and look at sports in a light that it should be presented in, as not the most important thing in the world. Soxnut for you to say you'd rather listen to Mike North is interesting. In the words of Terry Boers..."ARE YOU RETARDED!!!"

Veeky
03-23-2004, 12:20 AM
They are the best afternoon talk show period in Chicago and look at sports in a light that it should be presented in, as not the most important thing in the world. Soxnut for you to say you'd rather listen to Mike North is interesting. In the words of Terry Boers..."ARE YOU RETARDED!!!"

True. But it's not for everyone; if you're over 40 and strictly into sports/updates, I would imagine you'd want something more conventional/conservative. MJH perhaps. It's sports satire, mixed with suprisingly deep and frank discussions re: steroids, Sox ownership, Kerry Krause, Prior, etc, etc, etc.

And yeah, Mike North is bloody awful and not in a so-bad-its-good way that B&B are sometimes when they are phoning it in (which I admit is a lot in the last few years). Black-eye on Chicago Sports Radio IMO. Racist, sexist baiter and a contrarian phony. Does he realize that his singing and impressonations are TERRIBLE?

Dan H
03-23-2004, 08:36 AM
The sad thing about these two is that they can be very good. Trouble is they don't have respect for anyone esle's opinion. As far as dumb callers go, these two act like two high school kids. What kind of are people are you going attract when you act retarded yourself?

fledgedrallycap
03-23-2004, 09:03 AM
I think valposoxfan was on the right track, you either love B&B or you absolutely despise thier brand of sports radio. I really enjoy the show and have listened for years. Often they get too goofy and/or too obnoxious for me, but there is a little thing called a tuner which can be used to change stations.

And when a dumb caller goes on the air, why is it the personalities fault for blasting that person to radio hell? I still crack up when they do the hello game, gets me every damn time. At least they let someone attempt to get a thought accross before the insults fly, most shows (i.e. Murph & Fred, North, MJ&H) don't allow a caller to even get a contradictory thought out of thier mouths.

I find that most people who enjoy the B&B show are very quick witted, sarcastic, and don't take everything seriously - including yourself and sports.

TornLabrum
03-23-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
I think valposoxfan was on the right track, you either love B&B or you absolutely despise thier brand of sports radio. I really enjoy the show and have listened for years. Often they get too goofy and/or too obnoxious for me, but there is a little thing called a tuner which can be used to change stations.

And when a dumb caller goes on the air, why is it the personalities fault for blasting that person to radio hell? I still crack up when they do the hello game, gets me every damn time. At least they let someone attempt to get a thought accross before the insults fly, most shows (i.e. Murph & Fred, North, MJ&H) don't allow a caller to even get a contradictory thought out of thier mouths.

I find that most people who enjoy the B&B show are very quick witted, sarcastic, and don't take everything seriously - including yourself and sports.

Boers and Bernstein could define the term "sophomoric."

fledgedrallycap
03-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Boers and Bernstein could define the term "sophomoric."

There certainly is some truth to that, but they can be extermely intelligent as well.

Mammoo
03-23-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
I hope they stay there..they suck.

Well said!!! :gulp:

Mighty4
03-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by fledgedrallycap
There certainly is some truth to that, but they can be extermely intelligent as well.

I honestly can't even form an opinion on them because the short time I do have radio access, all I hear are commercials. Do they have 20 minutes of actual "show" in a given hour on that station?

poorme
03-23-2004, 09:49 AM
How many times has Bernstein made it clear that he attended DUKE UNIVERSITY?

Procol Harum
03-23-2004, 10:00 AM
I detest these two self-important, elitist blowhards and second the motion that they be left for Gila Monster fodder in the Arizona outback.

There are many pet peeves that come to mind when thinking of these two--their almost complete contempt for the radio audience (w/ the exception of those who agree w/ their every knee jerk opinion or fancy), Boers' moronic homoerotic fixations, their continuous Redneck baiting, etc., etc. But if any one thing gets me going with these guys it's their two-faced approach to dealing with sports personages in interviews. Given their penchant for imagining themselves as hard-hitting sports mavericks who won't tolerate stupidity or nonsense, how about the way that B & B suck up Larry King-style and lob softball questions to every sports personality they interview? If you listen long enough to these two clowns you'll then find them mercilessly ripping these same people at every opportunity when they're doing their own shtick. What was it Daddy said about having the courage to say something to someone's face?

That said, I could tolerate Bernstein before his link-up w/ Boers and his enervating influence. If that cancer could be removed from his co-host position, perhaps the young Deerfieldian could redeem his radio career.

Viva Magglio
03-23-2004, 10:24 AM
My intention for this thread was to examine why Boers and Bernstein are doing their show from Tucson. Note that they are broadcasting right from Tucson Electric Park. This is the Score's first spring training remote in years, and the reason the Score hasn't done such spring training reports is so that they don't appear one-sided. Specifically, guess who balked in previous years at the idea of the Score broadcasting from White Sox spring training. Because of that, the Score did not want to do their only spring training remote from Mesa because they know that would infuriate Sox fans.

Suddenly, however, we have the Score doing a remote from TEP and no known plans to do a similar remote in Mesa. Do you suppose this could be the first bona fide sign that the Score could eventually become the new White Sox flagship?

Veeky
03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
What kind of are people are you going attract when you act retarded yourself?

I think it's the other way around. Stupid caller/questions deserve stupid reponses.

B&B may be poised to jump the shark, I won't argue with that (god knows, the Score is a giant suckfest now that Grobsterin, Giggets and Sweica have been driven off), but at their best, there were not many sports satire duos better than them, anywhere.

They bring the snark and they bring the funny. They will rip management, nobody is sacred and will actually give reasons for doing so. What more could you want?

Veeky
03-23-2004, 12:40 PM
There are many pet peeves that come to mind when thinking of these two--their almost complete contempt for the radio audience (w/ the exception of those who agree w/ their every knee jerk opinion or fancy), Boers' moronic homoerotic fixations, their continuous Redneck baiting, etc., etc. But if any one thing gets me going with these guys it's their two-faced approach to dealing with sports personages in interviews. Given their penchant for imagining themselves as hard-hitting sports mavericks who won't tolerate stupidity or nonsense, how about the way that B & B suck up Larry King-style and lob softball questions to every sports personality they interview? If you listen long enough to these two clowns you'll then find them mercilessly ripping these same people at every opportunity when they're doing their own shtick. What was it Daddy said about having the courage to say something to someone's face?

You say it as though "elitist" is a bad word. Not to me it isn't.... unless we're talking about economic inequality, which is a totally different subject.

Mock-homoerotic and hilarious off-topic banter mixed in with hard-hitting satire and genuine insight? That's up my alley.

One man's contempt for the audience is another man's admirable refusal to pander to the STUPID and the MORALLY INCONSISTENT. As it were.

They throw in soft questions? Yeah, so they don't lose their JOBS. There is a reason why Sammy, Hawk and Mike Ditka will never even entertain the thought of coming on the air with them. If they have a friendly convo with an NCAA coach, who cares?

B&B are somebody whom you would expect to be "sophomoric" and then BOOM! they uncork a profound thought, an astute observation, an arcane reference, etc -- and you sit there scratching your head, thinking how could the "Hello game"-loving bufoons tackle such complex subjects.....that's them.

I was listening live during that Larry Horse Call....LMAO

TornLabrum
03-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Veeky
I was listening live during that Larry Horse Call....LMAO

Now that was funny stuff. I also like the second hand news and high noon segments. (There's a little sophomore in all of us.) But as far as I'm concerned, the caller put-downs are getting to be too frequent and the astute observations too rare.

Fridaythe13thJason
03-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Jason,

I don't want to get into a major argument with you, but have you actually tracked any of their "predictions" or opinions over a significant stretch of time?

I'm not sure what kind of "major argument" you want to get into with me. I don't think there's anything to argue. Our opinions differ.

As for knowing sports, it has nothing to do with predictions. I think I know more about the inner workings of NCAA basketball than most people I know, yet I couldn't predict a game for my life. I suck at pools. Predictions are for gamblers...discussing possibilities is for intelligent sports fans.

Veeky
03-23-2004, 02:05 PM
But as far as I'm concerned, the caller put-downs are getting to be too frequent and the astute observations too rare.

I agree, there's been some shark-jumpery involved sometime in the last 2 years.

I am suprised it lasted this long. Score is Score is Score. Abonimation of a radio station.

Veeky
03-23-2004, 11:18 PM
Btw.....Bernstein was the one who refused to buy into the Cubs PR BS about Prior only missing a couple of ST days from the beginning, and pretty much ripped them for their deceiving, intelligence-insulting public assurences.

Sometimes I forget he is a Sox fan with all the Reinforf/KW bashing/mocking he does.

By cracky.

Grobber33
03-24-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
My intention for this thread was to examine why Boers and Bernstein are doing their show from Tucson. Note that they are broadcasting right from Tucson Electric Park. This is the Score's first spring training remote in years, and the reason the Score hasn't done such spring training reports is so that they don't appear one-sided. Specifically, guess who balked in previous years at the idea of the Score broadcasting from White Sox spring training. Because of that, the Score did not want to do their only spring training remote from Mesa because they know that would infuriate Sox fans.

Suddenly, however, we have the Score doing a remote from TEP and no known plans to do a similar remote in Mesa. Do you suppose this could be the first bona fide sign that the Score could eventually become the new White Sox flagship?

Good call here Viva! As I posted here weeks ago,this is a bi-product of a feud between Jerry Reinsdorf and ESPN 1000.
The reason that they are carrying a Cub show(The one that Tom Shaer did last year and may do again and no they would'nt let me do it)and now have Jay on is to piss off JR.Plain and simple.
History lesson: Jim DeCastro signed JR in late 1995 to bring the Sox and Bulls to WMVP for an amazingly inflated price that assured the Station can not break even-no matter if they sellout every spot at full rate(which they dont and wont)or not.That Sox deal caused the old WMVP format to fold(altho it was mismanaged with crap like Ferrell,the Sports Babe and garbage like that)in 1996. ESPN bought the Station from Evergreen Media,but has been hemorrhaging red ink.They would love to have Jerry either re-do the contract so the Station could at least break even(HE WONT)or get angry and break the contract and go to the Score or elsewhere,which he wont since he cant get those kind of $$$ anywhere else.Once this contract runs out(for the Sox after 2005)he will not command near the loot he's getting now.
Having been on the inside there 1991-1996 and again 2002 to now,I can tell you this is fact!!! They ALL can deny it,but that's the way it is. By letting Boers & Bernstein(The Score in general)go into TEP,the Sox are 'sticking it' to WMVP which will still be denied entrance to the Bears camp this Summer(thru the influence of WSCR & WBBM of course). The plot gets thicker!!!

ALSO: The last Score Spring Training remote from Tucson was in 2000 by myself--overnights of course.You wont hear anything like that any longer since 1)I'm not there any more and 2)they have Fox garbage on overnights.

batmanZoSo
03-24-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33

ALSO: The last Score Spring Training remote from Tucson was in 2000 by myself--overnights of course.You wont hear anything like that any longer since 1)I'm not there any more and 2)they have Fox garbage on overnights.

Thank you. I completely stopped listening to the score when you were cut loose (occasionally tuning in to B&B) and also because of the trash they have overnight now. They might as well go completely off the air rather than put that bonhead on (tim ryan? some ex football schmo).

Veeky
03-24-2004, 04:51 PM
KW dropped by this morning.

Wow....what a trainwreck of an interview.

B&B apologized for every mean thing they have ever said and blamed it all on their own stupidity/lame sense of humor.

Kenny took sole credit for Loaiza and promised SHingo will be good. Whatever you say....bring back Robbie.