PDA

View Full Version : Twins' Helling takes liner

hose
03-22-2004, 07:22 AM
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/222sd6.htm

Rick Helling broke his leg and will be out at least a month.

soxfan26
03-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by hose

From the same Article:

Former White Sox All-Star James Baldwin had his best outing of the spring for the New York Mets, limiting Florida to one hit in five innings in New York's 9-1 victory over the Marlins in Jupiter, Fla. Baldwin, who struck out four, also went 3-for-3 with four RBI.

Randar68
03-22-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by hose

The way he's pitched the past few years, this is probably a bad thing for the Sox...

sas1974
03-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
The way he's pitched the past few years, this is probably a bad thing for the Sox...

I couldn't agree more. I don't have the numbers, but I think we used to shell this guy. For some reason I recall Frank playing especially well against him.

Chisox_cali
03-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Quick, lets trade Carlos for him!!!

jabrch
03-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Sean Douglass or Carlos Silva will now get a spot in the rotation. Methinks this bodes well for the Sox. Sorry to see Helling get hurt - he seems like a decent guy. But Radke, Santana, Lhose, Mays and Silva doesn't scare me much.

The_Floridian
03-22-2004, 11:44 AM
Helling can be a very good pitcher, but it's been six years since his 2- win season, and his ERA in the AL last season was 5.71. He's traditionally been a guy who could eat up innings, which is important to the Twins, since they don't know what kind of endurance Santana, Silva and Mays will have this year.

Helling's gonna be out for only a month, but since he was battling for a spot in the rotation, this could be very costly. This assures that Silva will get the fifth starters spot, which means Helling will either be cut or stuck into the long relief role, waiting to see if somebody gets hurt.

It's more of a problem for Helling than it is for the Twins, although I'm sure they would have rather had a guy who they can depend on to go a lot of innings in their rotation besides Radke and Lohse.

jabrch
03-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by The_Floridian
It's more of a problem for Helling than it is for the Twins, although I'm sure they would have rather had a guy who they can depend on to go a lot of innings in their rotation besides Radke and Lohse.

And Radke only went 21 starts in 2002. Lhose is fairly mediocre. I don't fear their rotation at all. And their bullpen - without Guardado and Hawkins - not so scary.

Nathan, Romero and Pulido - um - not so scary

In fact, if you go position by position, the only spot they are definitely better than us is CF (Hunter over Crash). You could argue C, 1B, 2B and 3B also, but they are not clear cut. We are far superior to them in RF, LF and SS, as well as SP and RP.

The Royals scare me in Pena's second year. Minnesota doesn't.