PDA

View Full Version : Great News: Boston Gammons AND Harold Reynolds pick Cubs to win it all

SoxxoS
03-21-2004, 11:59 PM
On sportscenter.

I can't remember the last time these guys made any correct predictions, so this can only be a good thing.

Watching their season go down in flames...just b/c they are SO overrated...is going to be "fun to watch."

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-22-2004, 12:00 AM
How could they not? Especially after Maddux' overwhelming performance of 8 runs in 3 innings!

Mohoney
03-22-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
How could they not? Especially after Maddux' overwhelming performance of 8 runs in 3 innings!

But he's "a great teammate."

Hangar18
03-22-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
On sportscenter.

I can't remember the last time these guys made any correct predictions, so this can only be a good thing.

Watching their season go down in flames...just b/c they are SO overrated...is going to be "fun to watch."

These guys are just NOW predicting this? hahahah, dont make me laugh, the Chicago Media have already made World Series Matchups hahahahah. Heck, the Cubune today is already calling the 04 team a "DYNASTY" worthy of the "69 cubs redux"
HAHAHAHAHAHAH, what a bunch of trash this media is feeding us, and everywhere I go, flubby fans are all talking it too.
they havnt played a game yet this season...and theyre a "dynasty". Man, I cant wait for this team to Crash and Burn,
and to see the Weeping and Wailing and the Gnashing of Teeth on the north side ........I cant wait for the media to get Burned to a Crisp with all of this

LittleBears Suck
03-22-2004, 06:59 AM
Harold Reynolds also predicted Ryan Dempster to win the 2001 NL Cy Young. Dempster finished 01 with a crisp 4.94 ERA.

Railsplitter
03-22-2004, 07:42 AM
No surprise there. Just your typical idiocy from ESPN.

Fenway
03-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Our Peter wrong????

Nevah :D:

When he was the senior baseball writer for SI, he wrote that Cleveland was the best team in the AL in 1987

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/1987/0406_large.jpg

They came up a little short

1987 American League East Division
Team W L WL% GB
Detroit DET 98 64 .605 --
Toronto TOR 96 66 .593 2.0
Milwakee MIL 91 71 .562 7.0
NewYorkY NYY 89 73 .549 9.0
BostonRS BOS 78 84 .481 20.0
Baltmore BAL 67 95 .414 31.0
Clevelnd CLE 61 101 .377 37.0

rmusacch
03-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
On sportscenter.

I think they just picked them to be in the World Series, which is bad enough, not actually win it all.

Fenway
03-22-2004, 10:11 AM
As a Boston fan, the last team I want to see standing in the NL are the Cubs, because assuming Boston can win the AL pennant, I don't want a WS to become a circus.

I suspect that it will come down to Philadelphia and Chicago however, as Houston still has Jimy.
The Giants could be a factor but the BALCO situation will hang with them all year.

The AL Boston, NYY will be the focus but beware of Toronto in the east. The west will be a battle between Seattle and Anaheim, as I think Oakland has lost too much. The Central? The White Sox seem to be content with a pair of tens. Minnesota is weaker, Kansas City needs to repeat its quick start. The unknown is Cleveland who had been pointing to 2005 but could steal it. Detroit may improve by 20 games but still finish last.

I think the WC will depend on how much Oakland slips. If you have 3 good teams in the west it will be hard for it to come there, and the same goes for the East. It could very well fall to the Central, depending how bad the Tigers are.

E Coast Sox Fan
03-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Did you take a look at that cover. It must have been pre-steriods.

Those "sluggers" look pretty scrawny.

Baby Fisk
03-22-2004, 11:05 AM
:boston

"Maddux wasn't signed to pitch. He was signed to MENTOR."

sas1974
03-22-2004, 11:09 AM
I am sure that it goes w/o saying that none of us are truly surprised by this one. They don't appear to be going too far out on a limb by picking the scrubs. It's just going to make it all the more fun to see all of these folks eating their words this season.

sas1974
03-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337

I believe the word you are looking for is IMPRESSIVE!!

DSpivack
03-22-2004, 11:38 AM
This should be a great season; even better than the 2003 NLCS.

As for the Indians.... 2000 White Sox?

jackbrohamer
03-22-2004, 12:52 PM
Seriously, Gammons and Reynolds are the 2 biggest clowns on the Big Clown Stable that ESPN has turned into. If they weren't so pathetic I'd try to look up where they picked Arizona, Anaheim and Florida, respectively, over the past 3 years but it's not worth the effort.

SoxxoS
03-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Look at the size of Snyder and Joe Carter on SI. Snyder looks 175 soaking wet and Carter looks about 190.

Yeah, I agree. Steriods are not a major problem.

Veeky
03-23-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
These guys are just NOW predicting this? hahahah, dont make me laugh, the Chicago Media have already made World Series Matchups hahahahah. Heck, the Cubune today is already calling the 04 team a "DYNASTY" worthy of the "69 cubs redux"
HAHAHAHAHAHAH, what a bunch of trash this media is feeding us, and everywhere I go, flubby fans are all talking it too.
they havnt played a game yet this season...and theyre a "dynasty". Man, I cant wait for this team to Crash and Burn,
and to see the Weeping and Wailing and the Gnashing of Teeth on the north side ........I cant wait for the media to get Burned to a Crisp with all of this

Nobody would enjoy the Great Cub Implosion 2004 more than me.

Having said that.....are you folks for real with this Cubs dissing? You DO realize how ridiculously talened a team they are when healthy, right? My god....their #4 Zambrano would be our ace, for crying outloud!

I know this is a Totally Biased site and all -- and do get the self-referential chic......But please stop giving Sox fans everywhere a bad name -- odds are, as it stands right now, Cubs have an EXCELLENT chance at winning the World Series, best one in DECADES in fact.

It terrifies me as a Sox fan. The city will be lost for a LOOONG time if Flubbies make the Series let alone win it. I am super-pissed at the cheap, insincere, smug Sox brass that has WASTED so many chances in 2001-2003 to break tide and capitalize on ALC easy division while Cubs were floundering.......We were let off the hook when A-Gone, arguably the best defensive SS in NL last year booted a routine DP ball, but I am afraid it will take more than sheer Luck this season.....The only saving grace would be if Sox were to catch 2000 season magic with Cubs having achilles-type injuries all season long. Neither is likely, but I hope I am dead wrong in this.

blueeyes33
03-23-2004, 05:59 AM
thank god you said it. cause i didnt wanna be the first.but i agree with him 100%.and it sucks.

soxruleEP
03-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Veeky

Having said that.....are you folks for real with this Cubs dissing? You DO realize how ridiculously talened a team they are when healthy, right? My god....their #4 Zambrano would be our ace, for crying outloud!

And what do you base that on? Zambrano has done nothing to rate him ahead of Beurhle and Estaban nearly doubled Zambrano's win total last year.

Prior is a great pitcher and Wood is very very good when he has his curve, but Maddox is old and the ump's don't give a 3-foot plate anymore. Clement and ZAmbrano are nothing but good 4 & 5 guys.

Which is more than we have, but Zambrano would be no better than 3 on the Sox, let alone the ace.

We can only hope the Cubs do fall on their face because we won't be able to stand the collective civic orgasm that will follow any success they achieve.

TaylorStSox
03-23-2004, 03:54 PM
Right now I think I like to Cubs to win it all too. On paper, they have the best team in the NL. Why shouldn't the media celebrate a local team that looks that good? Like I say over and over, I was born a Sox fan. I could care less about happens that far north. Good or bad, I'm completely indifferent.

JohnBasedowYoda
03-23-2004, 06:48 PM
i love watching good ole Zambroneo getting all flustered and "emotional" on the mound.

Foulke You
03-23-2004, 07:42 PM

Ummm, no Zambrano would certainly not be our ace. In fact, his lack of composure on the mound would almost make me rate Garland ahead of Zambrano. He is a fastball only pitcher who would get hammered in the AL. And that isn't my Sox bias talking.

cubhater
03-23-2004, 09:13 PM
All of us know about the Billy Goat, Bambino, and the cover of Sports Illustrated curses. Can we add the Gammons/Reynolds preseason picks to the list of jinxes? :D:

Veeky
03-23-2004, 11:04 PM
Ummm, no Zambrano would certainly not be our ace.

Please wake up. Let me clue you in how the REST of the baseball world views Sox rotation.

Esteban had career year as far as I am concerned -- no matter how much I want him to repeat it, odds are he won't. Expecting a sub-3.50 ERA is a stretch at this point.

Mark Buerhle's peripherals have been slipping for 2 straight years. He worked fast and snuck up on hitters in 2001. While I think he is better than 4.20 ERA he had last year (pitching in what may be the worst-hitting division all time no less!) you can forget about 3.20 ERA Buerhle.

People say Mark is only 25. Guess what? Zambrano is 22. In his first full season in the majors, the guy had a 2.75 ERA before he ran out of gas in September. I remember watching this guy shut down Berkman, Kent, Bagwell, Hidalgo, Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen, Renteria, Drew time and time again like it was no biggie. With his velocity and turbo-sink, he doesn't even need a great 3rd pitch -- just something serviceable.......He has a temper? So did many pitchers and they learned to deal with it.

Perhaps I went a little overboard in my criticism of the Sox rotation, but the point still stands -- Cubs' starting 5 is considerably better. Only nagging injuries ala Prior's (which is a possibility, I guess) will keep them from going deeeep into the playoffs.

In fact, his lack of composure on the mound would almost make me rate Garland ahead of Zambrano.

Jon Garland?! The same Jon Garland who is the embodiment of mediocrity? You have GOT to be kidding me.

He is a fastball only pitcher who would get hammered in the AL.

Last year, AL ERA was only .28 points higher than NL.

And that isn't my Sox bias talking.

Of course it is. Please.

And whoever said Maddux is washed up......He is 1 year removed from a 2.50 ERA season. For a soft-tosser, 37 is not that old. His Cy Young days are behind him, but he is a very good pitcher coming off a solid season by anyone else's standards but his -- better than Millwood's and comparable to The Great Colono, who was supposed to be this great ace Sox foolishly let go...

And Matt Clement? He is clearly their weak-link and yet he's still had a MUCH better career so far than either Shoenweiss or Danny Wright -- and I am not even so sure Garland is better the way he has pitched in the last 2 season -- at least Clement had a groin injury excuse for last season -- what's Garland's?

Mohoney
03-24-2004, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
Seriously, Gammons and Reynolds are the 2 biggest clowns on the Big Clown Stable that ESPN has turned into. If they weren't so pathetic I'd try to look up where they picked Arizona, Anaheim and Florida, respectively, over the past 3 years but it's not worth the effort.

Reynolds and Gammons both suck, but NOBODY is a bigger dolt than Berman. Not even Mike North.

NOBODY.

Mohoney
03-24-2004, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by TaylorStSox
Right now I think I like to Cubs to win it all too. On paper, they have the best team in the NL. Why shouldn't the media celebrate a local team that looks that good? Like I say over and over, I was born a Sox fan. I could care less about happens that far north. Good or bad, I'm completely indifferent.

Repeat after me. The Cubs will NEVER, EVER, EVER, win a World Series.

It will NEVER happen.

The Cubs have too much to lose by winning the World Series. They lose their "charm" and "lovable losers" cuddliness. Everybody needs a laughingstock, and the Cubs have willingly been baseball's version for nearly a century. In fact, some Cub fans take a sort of sick pride in Cub futility. They play the "die-hard loyalty" card like masochists through every off-season, and then get good and drunk 81 times a year in the World's Largest Beer Garden.

The Cubs and Wrigley Field combine to form the worst myth in baseball, and it will NEVER die. The entire country, nay, the world, needs the Cubs. They make 29 other fan bases, no matter how miserable their teams are or how bleak the future might look, salvage some sort of silver lining from even the darkest cloud. When things just can't get any worse, every baseball fan across the globe can take a deep breath, relax, and thank God that they don't root, root, root, for the Cubbies.

Division titles, maybe. Playoff games? There's an outside chance, but the World Series? NEVER.

bc2k
03-24-2004, 04:26 AM

You turned a correct statement that said Zambrano would not be the Sox ace into a complete comparison between Chicago's two staffs. Nobody said the Sox have a better rotation than the Cubs. Get off the :bluerock

longshot7
03-24-2004, 12:23 PM
People say Mark is only 25. Guess what? Zambrano is 22. In his first full season in the majors, the guy had a 2.75 ERA before he ran out of gas in September. I remember watching this guy shut down Berkman, Kent, Bagwell, Hidalgo, Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen, Renteria, Drew time and time again like it was no biggie. With his velocity and turbo-sink, he doesn't even need a great 3rd pitch -- just something serviceable.......He has a temper? So did many pitchers and they learned to deal with it.

Perhaps I went a little overboard in my criticism of the Sox rotation, but the point still stands -- Cubs' starting 5 is considerably better. Only nagging injuries ala Prior's (which is a possibility, I guess) will keep them from going deeeep into the playoffs.

Dude, you're looking really bad here. Zambrano has a LOT of potential - I for one think he's better than Garland - but he's not there, at least not yet. Garland too has potential. Neither has achieved what they could be. And he's definitely not better than Loaiza or Buehrle - at least not yet. Someday maybe...

Just a question, but are you in love with Kerry Wood too? I think he's one of the most overrated pitchers in baseball. Sure, he's a high strikeout guy - but in the end, his record does not reflect his potential either.

Cubbie Kool-Aid - gotta love it.

SoxxoS
03-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Nobody on this board is going to argue that the Sox rotation is better than the Cubs rotation.

However, I think you have a big hole in your bullpen, and this is going to be the achilles heal this year. Borowski had one good year. Can he repeat his success after everyone knows what he is featuring...not to mention the pressures of a playoff race? Hawkins is solid. But if Borowski struggles, Dusty might try to insert Hawkins into the closer role, and he has proven to be a mental midget in that role. But he is a quality set-up man. Remlinger and Mercker have some age issues. Farnsworth is an enigma.

It has the makings of a pretty solid bullpen, but that can change in a hurry. Borowski is the key.

The Cubs look really good on paper. Luckily, the games have to be played. And with the Passion of the Prior starting out on the DL, it's not looking to great early.