PDA

View Full Version : MLB.tv and Blackouts

joeynach
03-21-2004, 11:11 PM
So i see that at purdue i am blackedout of watching sox games on mlb.tv. I know they do this so as not to reduce the tv viewing base locally, but we dont get any chicago tv here. Its retarded, we are locally indianapolis covered. Anyway so i was wondering how they determine if you are in a blackout region. Does anyone know. Do they just go by the billing address or bank on your credit card (account) or can they tell from internet like tell where the ip u are using is from. And if so what if you move around. Like i go to florida for 2 weeks and im not in the blackout region anymore, would it let me watch it?? If anyone has any info about this please help. Thanks

GO SOX!!

DSpivack
03-21-2004, 11:22 PM
It's not about MLB, but with the recent NCAA tourny I'm in a similar boat.

At home in Evanston we have AOL- dial up. The school here [Oxford, GA] has a fast internet connection, so I have AOL Broadband. However, since the account is registered to Evanston, I am blacked out from the games being shown in Chicago. So I can watch the games online that are being broadcast here- which is against the whole point of being blacked out.

Oh well.

joeynach
03-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
It's not about MLB, but with the recent NCAA tourny I'm in a similar boat.

At home in Evanston we have AOL- dial up. The school here [Oxford, GA] has a fast internet connection, so I have AOL Broadband. However, since the account is registered to Evanston, I am blacked out from the games being shown in Chicago. So I can watch the games online that are being broadcast here- which is against the whole point of being blacked out.

Oh well.

My point is exactly what you are talking about. Here in west lafayette im blacked out from cubs and sox. But i can watch say the royals. My account would be registered to my credit card back in chicago so if i went to say KC and tried to watch sox game would id black me out becuase the registration is from chitown or would it see i am in kc and thus let me watch the sox. The point is i can easily use my dads business credit card registered in texas, but if they determine blackouts by credit card account location or computer's ip location is what i am unsure of.

DSpivack
03-22-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by joeynach
but if they determine blackouts by credit card account location or computer's ip location is what i am unsure of. '

IP location seems wrong, because my IP is here at Oxford, if I understand that correctly.

NotSince1917
03-22-2004, 07:03 PM
A moderator replied to the original message on the team's board.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-whitesox&msg=26271.1&ctx=0

Sounds like they determine where you're logged in from (IP address) and you're blacked out of games in that area.

joeynach
03-23-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by NotSince1917
A moderator replied to the original message on the team's board.

http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-whitesox&msg=26271.1&ctx=0

Sounds like they determine where you're logged in from (IP address) and you're blacked out of games in that area.

Lucky for me i know there is a way of masking IP's, legal to. Use a router and get behind a proxy. You can set your own IP of your proxy to numbers from serves located anywere. Anyone then doing an IP trace would see you located as to the numbers of the IP you set. Only internally does your computer actually know what the real IP is, its just being masked by the proxy. Neat huh.

Technology = Dumb Man's Foe & Smart Mans Friend