PDA

View Full Version : Why does this happen....

whitesox30
03-20-2004, 10:51 PM
why does everybody think the sox will be terrible this year...i mean yeah we have some problems in are lineup but so does everybody else in the central.....

ChiSox14305635
03-20-2004, 11:23 PM
I could tell you why, but I would need a couple of posts to do it. And for the record, I think the Sox will do just fine this year.

Railsplitter
03-21-2004, 07:32 AM
Sox fans are eternal pessimists

Dan H
03-21-2004, 07:56 AM
I don't think the Sox will have a terrible year, but I also don't think the team is in the top echelon of the American League. The #3, 4, 5 starters are all question marks. And the core of this team has under-achieved as a unit during the last three seasons. I am optimistic to a point, but very skeptical. it's hard to get over-excitied when the team has such a weak off-season. Let's hope the team over-achieves for a change.

gosox41
03-21-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by whitesox30
why does everybody think the sox will be terrible this year...i mean yeah we have some problems in are lineup but so does everybody else in the central.....

Let's see...the team won 86 games last season so in 2004 they:

1: Bring in a rookie manage who likes to run his mouth and is unproven. He may be better then JM (who I figure cost the Sox 10 games last year) but he needs to prove he can not lose all 10 of those games and more considering...

2. The Sox lost Colon this off season and are bringing in Schoenweis.

3. Gordon and SUllivan are being replaced by Takatsu and Politte. The first has been far from impressive, the second is injury prone and got lit up last Sept when his shoulder acted up.

3. Roberto is replaced by Willie Harris. Roberto isn't what he used to be, but he was a fundamentally great player who can at least lay down a bunt. I have no proof that Willie can match Robero's OBP of 2003.

4. Everett is replaced by Rowand. While Everett was shake in CF he did hit over .300 for the season with 30+ HR's (I think 15 were with the Sox)

5. They officially have a coaching staff of rookies and second year players backing up Guillen now tha Nossek is gone.

6. Add to the fact that PK has done nothing this spring contuinuing his 2003 trend and that Koch has been reinstated as closer even if he hasn't goten his heater back.

I know it sounds to negative, and there are some positives, but you asked why everone is so negative.

Bob

CubKilla
03-21-2004, 11:59 AM

If you think the White Sox team as it is right now can go any further than possibly winning a weak AL Central, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell you.

The truly awful part of the Reinsdorf Error is that alot of Sox fans are beginning to accept crap as long as the crap just makes it to the playoffs. Winning the AL Central does nothing for me. Winning the ALDS does nothing for me. Winning the ALCS is a good start, but it does nothing for me. Getting to the WS and losing does nothing for me. Nothing short of WINNING THE WS is what I deem a successful season. I'm sick of JR and his crap. Practically every MLB team has won or been to the WS in my lifetime EXCEPT the White Sox. So don't get offended when I don't throw a kegger if the White Sox win the AL Central this year.

chisoxjk
03-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by gosox41

6. Add to the fact that PK has done nothing this spring contuinuing his 2003 trend and that Koch has been reinstated as closer even if he hasn't goten his heater back.

While he may still suck it up during the regular season, I don't think you can say Konerko has done nothing this spring and is continuing his 2003 trend.

G AB AVG
11 35 .314

And over the last couple of weeks he is doing even better than that since he started out slow.

Frank the Tank
03-21-2004, 09:34 PM

Because we lost many good players: Bartolo Colon, Carl Everett, Roberto Alomar, Flash Gordon, etc....

and we replaced them with crap: Shingo and Juan Uribe. Furthermore, we are counting on Willie Harris and Aaron Rowand to be productive everday position players. Finally, we are depending on Scott Schowenweiss and Dan Wright to be part of our starting pitching rotation.

So I guess a more appropriate question is:
What makes you think the sox will be good this year?

Chisox_cali
03-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Because all the kids know it's cool to be negative. Just like it's cool to smoke. You'll impress all your friends with your negativity, not to mention the ladies....

crector
03-22-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Because all the kids know it's cool to be negative. Just like it's cool to smoke. You'll impress all your friends with your negativity, not to mention he ladies....

Excellent point.