PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else had a change in heart about the 2004 Sox?

BKozi
03-20-2004, 10:40 PM
2 months ago I felt absolutely no enthusiasm for the 2004 baseball season for the first time in as long as I can remember. Now in the last few weeks, I've started to come around. For some reason I'm starting to feel that we have a really good shot at taking the Central. Maybe others already did, but I thought we were a lock for 3rd in the division. Perhaps it's all of the "biased" media that I've been reading on the team page of the Sox on MLB.com and ESPN, but I don't think that we have a lot of holes. I realize that we have no depth in the field and we need some bullpen help, but if we're in it and we can pick up a starting pitch, a reliever, and a fielder or two during the season, I think that we're in pretty good shape. Am I kidding myself?

pearso66
03-21-2004, 02:24 AM
I've actually been very optimistic for this season. I don't see why everyone is so down on us. The division is still ours for the taking. We have a pretty decent team, and the Twins got worse, and while the Royals got better, it wasn't by much, and there is no way everything falls perfectly like it did last year for them. This division is ours.

South Sider
03-21-2004, 06:20 AM
Two words changed my heart about the 2004 SOX

"Ozzie Guillen"

When they signed him I thought "Oh my god" and "Why him ?"

But now I think he will be the right guy for the SOX !

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming season and I really believe that the Sox will be a much better team with "Ozzie" even if the results of the first games might not show it

ChiSox14305635
03-21-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by BKozi
2 months ago I felt absolutely no enthusiasm for the 2004 baseball season for the first time in as long as I can remember. Now in the last few weeks, I've started to come around. For some reason I'm starting to feel that we have a really good shot at taking the Central. Maybe others already did, but I thought we were a lock for 3rd in the division. Perhaps it's all of the "biased" media that I've been reading on the team page of the Sox on MLB.com and ESPN, but I don't think that we have a lot of holes. I realize that we have no depth in the field and we need some bullpen help, but if we're in it and we can pick up a starting pitch, a reliever, and a fielder or two during the season, I think that we're in pretty good shape. Am I kidding myself?

Maybe it's because the season opener is so close and that optimism that every team is perfect in the win column, and thus, has a chance.

Personally, I've been jacked up ever since SoxFest ended. 15 days from the first pitch at Kauffman. It's been too long and I can't wait. :)

StepsInSC
03-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Since ST began, I too have fallen victim to the optimistic bug.

LASOXFAN
03-21-2004, 10:46 AM
I made a trip out to Tucson last week and spent four days watching the Sox. Til then I was in the mindset that it's going to be a long season of mediocrity - which is no big deal since we've endured many of those in the past - but this team does have potential. You just look at that line up and can't help but think that if some things go "right" - that if some guys have the above average years and the stars shine like they're supposed to - then anything is possible. More than anything I want to see the Sox beat the Twins and the Royals like step children and win this division.

A. Cavatica
03-21-2004, 11:26 AM
No change of heart, still predicting 77 wins.

Still don't have a leadoff hitter.

Still don't have a fourth starter or a fifth starter.

Still don't have a second baseman.

Still don't have a manager.

CubKilla
03-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica

Preach on. I'm so unenthused for the '04 White Sox baseball season. If this team does win as it is currently designed, it will win only because of a weak AL Central. Then it's a 3-and-out *** whipping in the ALDS.

cheeses_h_rice
03-21-2004, 01:34 PM

I'm still sticking with 77 wins and third place. Spring Training means nothing, never has, never will.

Hangar18
03-21-2004, 02:34 PM

Theres a chance we can be "good", but what happens when we make the Playoffs? All our "weaknesses" become magnified.
Or....if we decide to finally address the weaknesses, we'll be paying MUCH MORE TO FILL THE HOLES than if we simply went out and Filled the Holes to begin with. Like that Famous
Motor Oil commercial, PAY ME NOW......or PAY ME MUCH MUCH
MORE LATER. We continue to try to CHEAP our way out of things and Look what its gotten us. A Bad stadium that weve had to "REMODEL" only 9 yrs into its existence. We Lost Keith Foulke because we thought we could sign Koch Cheaper. We lost a 2b/Leadoff Hitter in Durham because we thought we could CHEAPLY get Harris to do the job ..... the list goes on and on
and on and on ..................and on .........Guess what? NOw we need a Real Closer, we need a 2bagger, A Leadoff Hitter ......

delben91
03-21-2004, 02:36 PM
I've seen some things from the Sox this spring that definitely appealed to the optimist in me. Logically though, I'm sticking with a prediction of 84 wins...glorious mediocrity. Just too many holes on the staff and in the lineup to expect more than that.

ode to veeck
03-21-2004, 02:38 PM
I think its the decline in the % of trade rumor threads in the Sox Clubhouse that's got me feeling up these days.

Bring on the season. Go Sox!

munchman33
03-21-2004, 04:23 PM

I think Danny Wright will be alright in the rotation, and I have confidence Ozzie will succeed as manager. Even if we do win only 77 games, that may be enough to take this division. If anything, that should bring you optimism.

Lip Man 1
03-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Hangar says: "There's a chance we can be "good", but what happens when we make the Playoffs?"

Hey don't worry Hangar if you listen to some fans here at WSI we'll 'luck' our way through both the Red Sox and Yankees on our way to the World Series! After 87 years the Sox are due right?

Lip

A. Cavatica
03-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
I think Danny Wright will be alright in the rotation, and I have confidence Ozzie will succeed as manager. Even if we do win only 77 games, that may be enough to take this division. If anything, that should bring you optimism.

WHITE SOX BASEBALL -- .475 JUST MIGHT DO IT

uribe151
03-22-2004, 02:33 AM
i'm getting the feeling now, too

reason: Ozzie Guillen

he's gonna be great!

gosox41
03-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by BKozi

Hope springs eternal. Let's see how Uribe hits when it counts or how Wright pitches when he feels some aches and pains during the season.

I'm getting excited for baseball to start I'm only hopeful about the Sox because the division the team plays in is so lousy.

Bob

gosox41
03-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hangar says: "There's a chance we can be "good", but what happens when we make the Playoffs?"

Hey don't worry Hangar if you listen to some fans here at WSI we'll 'luck' our way through both the Red Sox and Yankees on our way to the World Series! After 87 years the Sox are due right?

Lip

Based on Lip's logic, the only team that should win is the team that spends the most money.

Why bother playing the season at all?

Bob

jabrch
03-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Since ST began, I too have fallen victim to the optimistic bug.

Me too...I hope with reason. When ST started, I thought this was a 70-75 win team. Now I am thinking 82-87 wins.

hold2dibber
03-22-2004, 09:41 AM
I've said it before, I'll say it again - the Sox could win between 85 and 90 wins:

(1) IF Garland turns the corner and can give the team about 200 IP and an ERA under 4.25; and

(2) IF Loaiza was not a one year wonder; and

(3) IF Buehrle can reverse the trend that has seen him become less and less effective with each season; and

(4) IF at least one guy steps up as a 4th starter and can give the team about 175 IP and an ERA south of 5.00; and

(5) IF Harris and/or Uribe (or Reed?) can provide adequate production from the lead-off position (i.e., OBP of at least .330); and

(6) IF none of the top 3 starters get hurt; and

(7) IF Guillen doesn't alienate all his players and cause a revolt in the clubhouse based on his seeming inability to censor himself when he talks to the press.

That's a lot of "if's" - too many, IMHO, especially since I have little confidence that numbers 1, 4, 5 or 7 will happen. I'm expecting a .500 season, give or take a few games.

jabrch
03-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
(7) IF Guillen doesn't alienate all his players and cause a revolt in the clubhouse based on his seeming inability to censor himself when he talks to the press.

I know it is early, but I haven't heard one negative peep from a player or a media person about Ozzie - and I have heard a lot of positive ones.

Procol Harum
03-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Nope, I can muster hardly any enthusiasm for the prospects of the 2004 Sox. Too many questions, too many answers that start with the word "If." Granted, IF all these "ifs" take place the Sox could win the Central because it's such a mediocre division--but hard to see a bunch of "ifs" carrying us beyond a one and done in the playoffs. But, I don't believe we're going to have to worry about anything after the end of September beyond the possibility of sweating out a Cubs playoff run.

To make matters worse, every single decision this team makes as the opening gun approaches seems to make me feel even less confident. The recent retirement of Joe Nossek and the hiring of Harold "Chatterbox" Baines (does Ozzie know sign language?) as the Sox' bench coach is but another reason to wonder just what the blankety-blank this organization is doing.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Bob:

No the team who spends the most isn't guaranteed anything.

But it measurable increases your chances! I've posted the record of teams in the top 4th in payroll (through 2001) and that won / lost record is pretty dramatic. Even the past few years hasn't changed the winning percentage that much. Those are the facts...not fantasy.

The point I was trying to make was that I get really pissed off when I see people post that 'if' the Sox can get to the playoffs, they can 'luck' their way into the World Series. (and these dolts even seem happy about it!!! Like it's something to be proud of)

When will these folks realize it doesn't work like that, luck can play a part in a five game series but not in seven.

The Sox under ANY circumstances do NOT have the talent to get past BOTH the Red Sox and the Yankees to get to a series.

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

and to take it a step further, WHY is this franchise consistently put into a position where they have to rely on 'luck?' Where is the talent, in sufficient qualtity to get to a series on their own merit?

Lip

gosox41
03-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Bob:

No the team who spends the most isn't guaranteed anything.

But it measurable increases your chances! I've posted the record of teams in the top 4th in payroll (through 2001) and that won / lost record is pretty dramatic. Even the past few years hasn't changed the winning percentage that much. Those are the facts...not fantasy.

The point I was trying to make was that I get really pissed off when I see people post that 'if' the Sox can get to the playoffs, they can 'luck' their way into the World Series. (and these dolts even seem happy about it!!! Like it's something to be proud of)

When will these folks realize it doesn't work like that, luck can play a part in a five game series but not in seven.

The Sox under ANY circumstances do NOT have the talent to get past BOTH the Red Sox and the Yankees to get to a series.

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

and to take it a step further, WHY is this franchise consistently put into a position where they have to rely on 'luck?' Where is the talent, in sufficient qualtity to get to a series on their own merit?

Lip

1. Why doesn't luck enter in a 7 game series? It may have less an effect but it's still there. How many people think the Cubs were lucky to be in the playoffs last seasonn and that was 162 games.

2. The Sox had the talent last season to get to the playoffs and do some damage. This talent choked, plain and simple. Last year's team was a very talented team and had a very good chance of beating the Yanks and Red Sox in a playoff series.

3. Lip, when you said
"The Sox under ANY circumstances do NOT have the talent to get past BOTH the Red Sox and the Yankees to get to a series.

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever."

I think you should take a couple of deep breaths.

Bob

Irishsox1
03-22-2004, 10:04 PM
I feel that the Sox under Ozzie will totally suck. 75 wins at most. A total disaster. Just a gut feeling.

chisox06
03-22-2004, 10:56 PM
I would say that during the begining of this offseason I was about as pessimistic as they come. But as always, as the season approaches the glass turns half full. I mean why not be optimistic? Whats the point of being so negative, there hasn't been one game played yet and we got people writing this team off already. We have a very winnable divison, and teams always change looks during the season. Despite all the speculation no matter how you view it, the only fact out of all this is THEY HAVENT PLAYED ONE GAME YET!

BKozi
03-22-2004, 11:59 PM
I guess that I should qualify my original post. Do we have a good chance to win the division? Yes. Can we do anything in the playoffs? I'm going to have to say "no". Winning a weak division is one thing. Taking down the Yankees, Red Sox, Mariners, Angels, etc. is a completely different thing. I do think that luck is a part of baseball, especially in the post-season. But there are also, many, many more aspects of being a post-season competitor that right now (I repeat, right now) we don't have, including a proven, quality rotation, a lead-off hitter, and depth. Of course anything can happen over the course of a season, but I think that it will be hard for anybody to argue that we can field a better team (however you want to define "better") than the top tier teams in the AL on a daily basis. It's not luck that puts the Yankees in a position to either play for or contend for the WS every year. I would trade luck for a lineup like the Yankees any day.

starboy0
03-23-2004, 08:16 AM
I'm optimistic because I'm hoping the Sox will have one thing this year that has been very spotty in the last few: enthusiasm and chemistry. That can really light up a team.

Look at Florida and Anaheim the last two years. I doubt if either were picked at the start of the season.

If the Sox play to their potential I'm thinking 89 wins which will win the central.