PDA

View Full Version : JR comments during game today?

doctor30th
03-20-2004, 08:51 PM
He actually cracked me up at one point.

Farmer was talking about how he thinks Peter Gammons looks like Andrew Jackson (on our $20 bill).

JR laughed and said something along the lines of: "Yeah except Andrew Jackson was a good looking man."

That gave me quite a bit of a laugh.

doctor30th
03-20-2004, 09:05 PM
when asked about green seats JR said:

The current seats have 4-5 years of usefulness left, when they are replaced green may be an option. He points out that yankee stadium has blue seats and they do ok.

I'm starting to think Blue is JRs favorite color.

maybe we can comprime with a nice seafoam Blue-Green color.

That does bring a question to mind, What color would you want to see the seats if the normal ballpark Green and ballpark Blue were not an option?

I would say a medium shade of gray.

kingpin_rcs
03-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Multicolored - so the park always looks full

Rush20
03-20-2004, 10:03 PM
...the Yankees do OK with Blue Seats?!?! Believe me JR, if you spent money on the team like the Yankees owner does, the last thing on our minds would be the color of the seats?

Where does he come up with this stuff? 3-4 more years of usefulness? Old Comiskey had seats that were 25 years old and made of wood?! The upper deck has seats that probably have actually been sat in for maybe 2-3 full seasons due to poor attendance.

Don't get me wrong - I have always hated the "Bedpan Blue" color and would prefer dark green seats to replace the existing color scheme, however comments like that make no sense. I wish the guy could on occassion, admit he had a tiny part in the design of the original Comiskey II Ball Mall and no matter what he says, the final design, color scheme, etc. required his approval. Too bad he didn't run the proposed designs by the fans the way they did with the 83' uniforms.

Every time I drive into the city and look at all the land being developed immediately north of McCormick place on the west side of LSD, I shake my head and think "what if". Imagine a downtown/loop ballpark facing the city skyline. I'll post pictures later of the new St. Louis ballpark design (2006). Amazing! Other cities have absolutely learned from the White Sox mistake.

owensmouth
03-20-2004, 10:27 PM
It would be a nice place for a ballpark. But there's not the least chance that the Sox could have planted one there. The Bears got the okay to put their new stadium in because Soldiers' Field was already there. No way the White Sox would have gotten that land.

poorme
03-20-2004, 10:37 PM
JR couldn't get a word in edgewise with Farmer blathering on endlessly.

TornLabrum
03-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by poorme
JR couldn't get a word in edgewise with Farmer blathering on endlessly.

Are you saying this is a bad thing?

DrCrawdad
03-20-2004, 11:10 PM
I always enjoy hearing from Mr. Reinsdorf in the Spring Training games, to me his fondness for the game shines thru.

TornLabrum
03-20-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I always enjoy hearing from Mr. Reinsdorf in the Spring Training games, to me his fondness for the game shines thru.

Are you sure that's not fondness for the green stuff (and I don't mean the beer that was flowing the other night)?

Brian26
03-20-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Rush20
Too bad he didn't run the proposed designs by the fans the way they did with the 83' uniforms.

I actually think the final choice was sort of a combination of several of the final fan submissions. So, in a sense, even then he did have last say. Still, I don't think it was a great idea to have the fans designing uniforms, just as Mary Frances Veeck shouldn't have.

The Sox finally got the uniforms right at the end of 1990, and they should NEVER change them again.

Lip Man 1
03-21-2004, 12:30 AM
Doctor 30th:

In fact blue is good ole Uncle Jerry's favorite color after his boyhood team the brooklyn Dodgers.

I have been told by numerous sources that good ole Uncle Jerry insisted on blue seats in the new ballmall to remind him of his boyhood days and team.

Makes perfect sense to me!

Lip

DrCrawdad
03-21-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Are you sure that's not fondness for the green stuff (and I don't mean the beer that was flowing the other night)?

Mr. Reinsdorf may have a love for money, but there are certainly many members of that club. I do sense that he loves the game, certainly that hasn't made him immune from bad decisions.

I disagree with many of the choices the Sox have made in the Reinsdorf years, but I guess I'm a rare Sox fan - one who doesn't hate Reinsdorf.

TornLabrum
03-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Mr. Reinsdorf may have a love for money, but there are certainly many members of that club. I do sense that he loves the game, certainly that hasn't made him immune from bad decisions.

I disagree with many of the choices the Sox have made in the Reinsdorf years, but I guess I'm a rare Sox fan - one who doesn't hate Reinsdorf.

Believe it or not, I don't actually hate old Uncle Jer. I just wish he'd part with a few bux and build a winner.

santo=dorf
03-21-2004, 12:47 AM
here's one thing I remember from the converstion:

:farmer

"So what do you think of the Yankees getting A-Rod?"

:reinsy

"Well, the Yankees want to win."

:ohno

"Don't you want to win too?"

:selljerry

rmusacch
03-21-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
here's one thing I remember from the converstion:

:farmer

"So what do you think of the Yankees getting A-Rod?"

"Well, the Yankees want to win."

:ohno

"Don't you want to win too?"

:selljerry

What did he say to that?

santo=dorf
03-21-2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch
What did he say to that?

"Don't you want to win too?" Is what I screamed in the car when I heard him respond with "The Yankees want to win." I actually enjoyed listening to JR on the radio, but that comment really pissed me off.

CubKilla
03-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th

"Actually, I'm quite fond of 'money green'".

Lip Man 1
03-21-2004, 02:22 PM
Two comments worth noting from good ole' Uncle Jerry:

“We feel we owe this town a winner or a contender every year.” – Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago media, October 2, 1985. From the book Through Hope And Despair. By Dan Helpingstein. Pg. 144.

“Our goal is to have a team that is a contender every year.”– Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Sun Times Ray Sons. September 18, 1983.

My how times have changed eh?

Lip

hftrex
03-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Two comments worth noting from good ole' Uncle Jerry:

“We feel we owe this town a winner or a contender every year.” – Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago media, October 2, 1985. From the book Through Hope And Despair. By Dan Helpingstein. Pg. 144.

“Our goal is to have a team that is a contender every year.”– Jerry Reinsdorf to the Chicago Sun Times Ray Sons. September 18, 1983.

My how times have changed eh?

Lip

Not at all.

The White Sox, under Reinsdorf, have consistently fielded competitive teams.

poorme
03-21-2004, 03:09 PM
When JR first got here he started signing FA's out the ying-yang.

Yes, times have changed.

Hangar18
03-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by hftrex
Not at all.

The White Sox, under Reinsdorf, have consistently fielded competitive teams.

Yeah.....the Sox under Reinsdorf have consistently fielded
FISCALLY competitive teams. Theyve been over .500
in spite of themselves.

batmanZoSo
03-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
when asked about green seats JR said:

The current seats have 4-5 years of usefulness left, when they are replaced green may be an option. He points out that yankee stadium has blue seats and they do ok.

maybe we can comprime with a nice seafoam Blue-Green color.

That does bring a question to mind, What color would you want to see the seats if the normal ballpark Green and ballpark Blue were not an option?

I would say a medium shade of gray.

I would say navy blue. It wouldn't be so bright and it would fit the park better than green because it's a modern place.

Rex Hudler
03-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yeah.....the Sox under Reinsdorf have consistently fielded
FISCALLY competitive teams. Theyve been over .500
in spite of themselves.

How many seasons since 1985 have the Sox not been a contender for a division crown?

dickallen15
03-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
How many seasons since 1985 have the Sox not been a contender for a division crown?

86,87,88,89,95,99. These are the seasons where they had no chance. 97 and 98, they had very little chance, but they did have a chance.

guillen4life13
03-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
86,87,88,89,95,99. These are the seasons where they had no chance. 97 and 98, they had very little chance, but they did have a chance.

Which means that 2/3 of the time they have been competing for the division crown.

I hate Reinsdorf as much as the next person but in spite of the low payrolls his teams have done relatively well. IIRC, they had the 3rd highest winning % in the '90's. That ain't bad.

Now, I don't think the 00's will be the same story, which is why I hate JR.

Lip Man 1
03-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Correction please....

The Sox had no chance to do anything in 86, 87, 88, 89, 95, 97, 98, 99, 01 (remember they were 14 games out in June) and 02.

The Sox have had 13 winning seasons in the 23 seasons good ole Uncle Jerry has owned the team. That means they have had 10 losing ones. 13-10.

Just wondering....has Sox fans expectations sunk so low that just having a winning season is cause for celebration?

Oh let's not forget, in those 23 seasons the Sox have made the playoffs three times (four if you count 94). Their post season record under the stewardship of good ole' Uncle Jerry is 3-10 . They have never even won a home playoff game under his 'leadership.'

But to some he's doing a bang up job right?

Lip

TornLabrum
03-21-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Correction please....

The Sox had no chance to do anything in 86, 87, 88, 89, 95, 97, 98, 99, 01 (remember they were 14 games out in June) and 02.

1997 was the year of the White Flag Trade (TM). They were 3.5 games behind the Indians, iirc, when that deed was done. That is certainly not "no chance to do anything." Uncle Jer took that chance away.

BTW, I just checked something out regarding attendance. In 1996, the year Boomer burned out his bullpen, the Sox drew 1,676,416. The year of the White Flag Trade, 1997, attendance grew to 1,865,222. The White Flag Trade and the aftermath proved to be so popular with all those fans Uncle Jer said were giving him "thumbs up" signals as he walked down the street that night, that attendance reached a whopping 1,391,148. Even more impressive was the year of "The Kids Can Play I". 1991 attendance was an astounding 1,338,851.

Hangar18
03-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Which means that 2/3 of the time they have been competing for the division crown.

I hate Reinsdorf as much as the next person but in spite of the low payrolls his teams have done relatively well. IIRC, they had the 3rd highest winning % in the '90's. That ain't bad.

Which is why ive said the Sox were "winning" "despite themselves". Sure, we had a "chance" for many many years, but how many times did the SOX GO FOR IT, and acquired the talent, real talent and not retreads or cheaper-imposter players to try and win everything? I think by looking at the number of times we've been to the Playoffs, should Answer that question.
in 23 seasons of Owning the SOX, weve only gone to the playoffs 3 times? Thats it? I think the fact the SOX were the 2nd winningest team in the 1990's, is a testament to the Talent in the SOX farm system, as Well as a SLAP IN THE FACE to management for having Nothing to show for it.

bartmanisgod
03-22-2004, 02:30 AM
The sox have had 13 winning seasons under Jerry, only because for the past 10 years they have been in the worst division in baseball! Any other division and we would have been slaughtered half those seasons!

Baby Fisk
03-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Rush20
Imagine a downtown/loop ballpark facing the city skyline. I'll post pictures later of the new St. Louis ballpark design (2006). Amazing! Other cities have absolutely learned from the White Sox mistake.

Here's a link to some renderings of the new St. Louis ballpark. (http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/CardinalsBallpark.htm) All those different outfield sections are pretty wild. Gives it a very busy look (a good kind of busy). I like how they've snuck in the "bullseye" pitcher's mound from old Sportsman's Park. That's a great nod to history. Hope it doesn't disappear when the park gets built.

Iwritecode
03-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
1991 attendance was an astounding 1,338,851.

I hope you meant to type "1999"...

TornLabrum
03-22-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I hope you meant to type "1999"...

That would be correct.

soxnut
03-22-2004, 04:07 PM

I'm with ya DrCrawdad :smile:

gosox41
03-22-2004, 09:32 PM

I'm with you too. I wouldn't give my money to someone I hated and agonized over.

Bob

TornLabrum
03-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'm with you too. I wouldn't give my money to someone I hated and agonized over.

Bob

Oh, I do lots of agonizing over the way this club is run (usually into the ground). I just don't hate the guy. I just think he has messed up priorities...and poor eyesight considering he thought those were thumbs being extended the evening following the White Flag Trade (TM).

BainesHOF
03-23-2004, 12:57 AM
"JR laughed and said something along the lines of: "Yeah except Andrew Jackson was a good looking man.""

Cutting down someone by making fun of the way they look is a scummy thing to say.

doctor30th
03-23-2004, 01:09 AM
wow, it never amazes me how a simple thread can be turned to crap by you people.

I think I'll stop posting for a while, some people on here are making me sick.

soxnut
03-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by BainesHOF
"JR laughed and said something along the lines of: "Yeah except Andrew Jackson was a good looking man.""

Cutting down someone by making fun of the way they look is a scummy thing to say.

Oh come on, you're getting a little too sensitive, give it a rest . It was a funny thing to say. It was great guy conversation. I'm so sick and tired of all of this political correctness bs. It was funny. I am someone who is sensitive to the way people look and would not make fun of people that way, but I didn't take what he said in that context.

BainesHOF
03-23-2004, 01:25 PM
I didn't find it funny not because of political correctness but because making fun of someone's appearance is a low thing to do.

soxnut
03-23-2004, 11:32 PM
People josh with people all the time about being "good-looking", "not good-looking". I don't think it was done in a mean-spirited way. It was funny, sorry. Haven't you ever heard of those types of comments in jest, or are you from another planet?