PDA

View Full Version : Article: Sox fans like baseball. Cubs fans like Wrigley.

patbooyah
03-20-2004, 01:12 PM
http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/sports/14624.php

this is a pretty interesting article written by someone in phoenix.

my favorite point is that cubs fans are transients.

DSpivack
03-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the link!

Great article, but the writer is a little ignorant of Chicago sports history.

My fave parts:

"Aside from many day games and the outfield-wall ivy, Cubs fans said they enjoy better seating for a better price.

"I don't like the seating at Comiskey," Neely said. "If you are rich you can get good seats there. At Wrigley, the seats are cheap everywhere."

also:

"White Sox fans are so tired of getting their hearts broken," Leming said. "It keeps them coming back."

By that sentiment, Cubs fans have every right to be the most popular of any team.

The Cubs have not won the World Series since 1908. The last time they played in it was 1945.

Hangar18
03-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Thanks for the link!

Great article, but the writer is a little ignorant of Chicago sports history.

My fave parts:

"Aside from many day games and the outfield-wall ivy, Cubs fans said they enjoy better seating for a better price.

"I don't like the seating at Comiskey," Neely said. "If you are rich you can get good seats there. At Wrigley, the seats are cheap everywhere."

also:

"White Sox fans are so tired of getting their hearts broken," Leming said. "It keeps them coming back."

By that sentiment, Cubs fans have every right to be the most popular of any team.

The Cubs have not won the World Series since 1908. The last time they played in it was 1945.

Your right. there are only a handful of seats that are "good"
at the Urinal. At the Urinal, the seats are EXPENSIVE EVERYWHERE, thats why the damn team scalps their
own tickets.....they know FOOL FANS will pay the price to enter. Are the Cubs really Evil for doing this to their fans? Or are the Foolish Cub Fans that Dumb? im thinking their Dumb

Railsplitter
03-20-2004, 09:15 PM
How "fans" at Wrigley are tourists?

Railsplitter
03-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
How "fans" at Wrigley are tourists?

make that how many fans. (It's been a long, rough day)

hsnterprize
03-21-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
How "fans" at Wrigley are tourists? Die-hard Cubs fans admit that a large portion of the people who go to Wrigley Field are out-of-town tourists who are there to see the ballpark. Sure...there are out-of-towners who love the Cubs and want to see the team win. However, there are a lot of people who are at Wrigley because they love the ballpark, or are there to be "seen", or to socialize at the surrounding bars and drink in the "atmosphere".

There are intelligent, die-hard Cubs fans out there. Many of them vowed to stay away from Wrigley until the Tribune Company put a winning team on the field. If it weren't for the tourists, socialites, yuppies, and frat people going to that ballpark over and over again, attendance at their place would be just as low as it's been at the Cell. There's just too many non-baseball factors that draw people to Wrigley Field regardless of whether they win 100 games or lose 100 games a season. Like the article said, we Sox fans love the GAME, and that's why we go/don't go to the ballpark, while a large portion of Cubs fans/alleged Cubs fans go for the status of going to see the Cubs.

patbooyah
03-21-2004, 07:11 PM
the final straw for hating the cubs for me was when i moved in with a kid from the fabulous state of iowa. its true- they come here in droves and become cubs fans. and as much as i hate to admit it- i have to give jay marriotti some credit for putting that in his article before last season. the only thing he has ever written that i've liked.

DSpivack
03-21-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Your right. there are only a handful of seats that are "good"
at the Urinal. At the Urinal, the seats are EXPENSIVE EVERYWHERE, thats why the damn team scalps their
own tickets.....they know FOOL FANS will pay the price to enter. Are the Cubs really Evil for doing this to their fans? Or are the Foolish Cub Fans that Dumb? im thinking their Dumb

From a pure business standpoint, I'd say the Cubs are rather smart for finding another route to maximize revenue. Their fans are rather stupid in accepting this ripoff.

From a p.r. and baseball standpoint however, I'd say it's a bad move and it's stupid to piss off your fans by ripping them off. The Cubs, however, can do no wrong according to their fans and to the "mystique" of Cubdom. So what would be a travesty for most of the teams in the MLB is a near non-issue for Cubdom. I'd be pissed if I was a Cub fan.

Another reason I think this issue isn't as big as it should be [besides the whole Cubbie p.r. bs] is that it's in Chicago. Does any other city have a history of bad owners, cheap teams, pissing off fans, and only caring about the bottom line? At first I'm thinking more in recent terms, but examples can be as far back as Comiskey himself.

patbooyah
03-22-2004, 01:31 AM
today i read that the cubs are going to solve the issue of a rooftop owner not sharing his profits by shining lights that will limit his view. i couldn't justify being a cubs fan after something like that- the corporation tries to suck every penny of profit out of that place.

jordan23ventura
03-22-2004, 01:35 AM
I'm one of the slim minority who likes both teams. Obviously, I'm a diehard Sox fan but I'm not the type that will shudder at a Cubs game like it's an N'Sync video. I couldn't really care too much one way or the other whether the Cubs win or lose but they are fun team to watch pitch. In fact, the last two seasons have showcased their young pitching staff which drew my interest in the team.

That being said I was at a game last year vs. the Cardinals and some moron in a Prior jersey behind me was talking to his friends when the Cardinals were batting. I heard him say, "who's this?" referring to the man at the plate. His name was Albert Pujols.

Additionally, when you walk around that park it's like playing "spot the poser" because you'll see people just getting up and walking to the concession stand in a key situation during a close ballgame, i.e. down by one run, one out, and a speedy runner on first base, or even worse you see people just talking on their cellphones with their back turned to the action.

One more observation - after a Cubs game everyone filters out onto the street screaming "Cubbies!" like drunken pre-programmed robomonkeys. Sure, they get an A for enthusiasm, but ask them what a balk or drop third strike is. Ask them how a slider is thrown. There's only one response you'll get, and that's "Cubbies!"

On the other hand, Sox fans seem to be focused more on the game and the drunken idiot in the next row over three seats down is screaming at the ump because he made a bad call, not because he thinks people will respect him because he does it.

jordan23ventura
03-22-2004, 01:51 AM
One additional note: I was at the doubleheader the day after Daryl Kile died and this idiot kept on heckiling Fred McGriff. Yeah, he sucks, but tossing out lame insults one after another gets pretty annoying after a while (especially when the guy is standing in the outfield waiting for a play and he keeps yelling insults). Some of his classic material included "Hey Fred you suck," "go back to Atlanta," "You're gonna strike out," etc. like his fugly girlfriend is really that impressed. So then this huge guy about two rows behind me, who is there with his daughter of maybe 8 or so, stands up (there was like nobody there because it was cold and foggy and yuppies don't like bad weather) and yells, "Hey a$$hole! If you don't shut the hell up I'm gonna come down there and knock your teeth out!" The little wuss turned red and shut up. He later said something to his girlfriend that would not have been heard if the seats weren't empty and was greeted by "what was that skinny boy?!" Hillarious to see.

Then there was a Sox game where these two guys didn't arrive until the seventh inning. Hearing them "inform" the late arrivals that baseball games begin in the firsat inning was hysterical. Later, Randy Johnson beaned Craig Grebeck in the foot and the drunks tried to challenge Johnson to a fight.

jabrch
03-22-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by patbooyah
today i read that the cubs are going to solve the issue of a rooftop owner not sharing his profits by shining lights that will limit his view. i couldn't justify being a cubs fan after something like that- the corporation tries to suck every penny of profit out of that place.

JR would do that too if he had rooftops to deal with. Frankly, this isn't a bad idea. I am not sure if it is legal or not - I actually doubt it is. It would be no different than if I shined a bright light into my neighbor's windows - he surely would have a right to complain. But if it is legal, it is a great way to get the final owner to acquiese and pay their bribe money.

voodoochile
03-22-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
JR would do that too if he had rooftops to deal with. Frankly, this isn't a bad idea. I am not sure if it is legal or not - I actually doubt it is. It would be no different than if I shined a bright light into my neighbor's windows - he surely would have a right to complain. But if it is legal, it is a great way to get the final owner to acquiese and pay their bribe money.

I'm not actually sure that is legal. I mean there could be people who live in those buildings who would try to sleep before a night game ended.

Also, how does this work during a sunny day game? Those would have to be VERY bright lights and that could damage someones eyes which in turn would open up the flubbies and their deep pocketed parent corporation to lawsuits. This has disaster written all over it...