PDA

View Full Version : Sox On ESPN Classic

Lip Man 1
03-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Get out those VHS tapes friends and neighbors.....

Sunday you can take a two hour break from the NCAA tournament and go back to April 10, 1981 as ESPN Classic shows the White Sox / Red Sox game from Boston.

It's opening day 1981 and new Sox catcher Carlton Fisk has a gift for his former teammates, particularly Bob Stanley.

It's the WGN-TV broadcast with Harry and Jimmy back together again.

Ahhh 1981... a time when new Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf wasn't the arrogant, vindictive, jaded, egotistical moron he'd become. When he actually spent money and when the Sox were still a real part of the Chicago sports landscape with realistic hopes for the future.

It all starts at 11 AM Chicago time, Sunday, March 21st.

Lip

cubhater
03-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Time to dig out a blank tape! I can't wait to hear Harry and Jimmy again! :gulp:

Medford Bobby
03-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the tip, I picked up some blanks today...I had taped that game but never marked it so who knows where...and for us FOX Northwest viewers we have a Sox game at 12:00 local...so I'll be burning tapes Sunday.... :gulp:

Railsplitter
03-21-2004, 07:21 AM
ESPN Classic has shown this one a couple times I'm arware of.

While on the subject of ESPN Classic, yesterday they had a day with "Walk-off" homers. Did they show Ventura's 1991 ninth inning Grand slam against Texas? I was at that game and I'm curious to see what it was like on TV.

Brian26
03-21-2004, 08:45 AM
I've still got the Ventura grand slam off Gossage on tape. 7/31/1991. Let me know if you want a copy.

Brian26
03-21-2004, 10:43 AM
This starts in 15 minutes for anyone out there who wants to catch it.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-21-2004, 11:43 AM
sigh....I set my vcr to tape it last night and then turned it off, but then my sister turned on the VCR an hour ago to use it because she couldn't find the regular tv remote and now I have about an hours worth of stupid MTV programming on tape!

TornLabrum
03-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
sigh....I set my vcr to tape it last night and then turned it off, but then my sister turned on the VCR an hour ago to use it because she couldn't find the regular tv remote and now I have about an hours worth of stupid MTV programming on tape!

Don't worry, it's not the Harry/Jimmy call of the game. It's the BoSox announcers.

CubKilla
03-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Ahhh 1981... a time when new Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf wasn't the arrogant, vindictive, jaded, egotistical moron he'd become. When he actually spent money and when the Sox were still a real part of the Chicago sports landscape with realistic hopes for the future.

It was also the time when Steinbrenner said JR was ruining baseball. *****!

ode to veeck
03-21-2004, 12:13 PM
thanks Lip!! I am in Texas on biz & visiting a couple of old south siders here and we're tuning it on now.

kittle42
03-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
Don't worry, it's not the Harry/Jimmy call of the game. It's the BoSox announcers.

No, it was Harry/Jimmy.

ode to veeck
03-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Lamar's cooking with that hard outside slider here in the bottom of the 8th ... look at him take out Rice and Perez like they were nothing. Great Stuff!! Go Sox!

RedPinStripes
03-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Harray and Jimmy getting on Hoyt is priceless. lol Damn i miss those guys. Farmeo ready to come in.

ode to veeck
03-21-2004, 01:00 PM
I'd have left Lamar in there. He still had his stuff. I think Tony used to make too many moves with his pitchers when he was younger. I remember it used to drive me nuts.

Pop up SOX WIN ! SOX WIN!

Great to hear Jimmy and Harry again

RedPinStripes
03-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Harray:"SOX WIN!!!!!!! SOX WIN!!!!!!!!"

Jimmy: "Say it again Harray".

God i need to get that on tape for all those flubby idiots who think Harray Carray always lived and died by the Cubs.

RedPinStripes
03-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
I'd have left Lamar in there. He still had his stuff. I think Tony used to make too many moves with his pitchers when he was younger. I remember it used to drive me nuts.

Pop up SOX WIN ! SOX WIN!

Great to hear Jimmy and Harry again

Or not enough moves. Remember Brit Burns going out for the 10th inning in 83? :whiner:

ChiSox14305635
03-21-2004, 01:27 PM
What a great game! I have new respect for the late Harry Caray. Every Flubbie fan should've been forced to watch that game so all of their "cherished" traditions could've been exposed. The only thing missing was the fact that this was a road game and Harry didn't do the 7th inning stretch. As always, trends and innovations originated on the South Side, and the North Side did what it does best: Stealing them and claiming them as their own.

ode to veeck
03-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Or not enough moves. Remember Brit Burns going out for the 10th inning in 83?

Ouch, the trauma of that one had it blocked out of my memory until now. Tony was really bad with his great young staff on the Sox sometimes, but he really got very good at it later in his career.

poorme
03-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Harry Caray was a GREAT announcer in his prime. I've heard some old Cardinal tapes. He was amazing. Even at 80 years old and after about 20 strokes he was still better than most.

Brian26
03-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Actually, it was Harry and Jimmy.

I think Joe McConnell did the middle 3 innings.

TornLabrum
03-21-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
Actually, it was Harry and Jimmy.

I think Joe McConnell did the middle 3 innings.

That's what threw me. I missed the first 10-15 minutes running some errands, and as happens on those ESPN Classic games, walked in during the bottom of the fifth. I caught Harry and Jimmy later. Fortunately, I did manage to tape it.

mikef1331
03-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
ESPN Classic has shown this one a couple times I'm arware of.

While on the subject of ESPN Classic, yesterday they had a day with "Walk-off" homers. Did they show Ventura's 1991 ninth inning Grand slam against Texas? I was at that game and I'm curious to see what it was like on TV.

Hey Rail, I was also at that game! I was in the front row in right field. That ball went right over my head, if I had been older and a few feet taller (I was only about 9 at the time) I would have been able to catch that ball. :smile:

cubhater
03-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Or not enough moves. Remember Brit Burns going out for the 10th inning in 83? :whiner:

I took a leave from the army and traveled from Texas just for the playoffs. Got box seats fourth row behind the Sox dugout for next to nothing at McCuddys for that game. What a heartbreaker. Britt pitched his heart out and deserved better. Our bats couldn't do anything that series.

If we only could've made it to game five with Lamarr pitching.

Railsplitter
03-22-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by mikef1331
Hey Rail, I was also at that game! I was in the front row in right field. That ball went right over my head, if I had been older and a few feet taller (I was only about 9 at the time) I would have been able to catch that ball. :smile:

My brother and I were in the upper deck on the third base side. From up there, it looked as if the ball would drop into the gap.

Brian26
03-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
My brother and I were in the upper deck on the third base side. From up there, it looked as if the ball would drop into the gap.

It's funny how many people remember that game.

hold2dibber
03-22-2004, 12:18 PM
Anyone willing to make/part with a tape of the game (I didn't see this thread until it was too late)? I have an uncle who is turning 50 soon and a tape of that game would be an incredibly perfect present for him.

Lip Man 1
03-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Hold:

I can work with you on this. Is it possible you have something you can trade for my time, postage, and materials?

Lip

poorme
03-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Maybe he can send you a Dan Pasqua special.