PDA

View Full Version : Sox Fans Were Right About Manuel


Ken
03-20-2004, 12:46 AM
Is it just me?
It seems as though the same people who defended the work(?)of Jerry Manuel for the past TOO MANY years, are now telling us that he really couldn't effectively manage this team.

Example - Hawk can't say enough about the new enthusiam that he sees in this team.

Example - Players talk about actually being challenged to perform.

Example - Kenny Williams comments about big change in attitude throughout the organization.

Where were these people for the past several years? All they did was defend Manuel and keep saying the problem was not the manager.

They should have dumped Manuel long ago. Last year at the All-Star Break when we had new hope. But, everyone in the organization kept defending Good Old Jerry, while the season "slepted" away!

Thank God for Ozzie. But as a Sox fan, I still have feel like we wasted way too many seasons under a worthless manager!

The new Sox ad says it all -
"Introducing Your Chicago White Sox...What's Changed? Everything!"...
For years, we kept hearing that the manager was not the problem. Now it seems like the Sox organization is admitting that the manager was the problem all along! He can change everything!

ode to veeck
03-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Ken

Welcome to WSI!! Right on! JM sucked for years!

Daver
03-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

RedPinStripes
03-20-2004, 01:11 AM
When the manager of the home field gets boo-ed as the 3b coach at the all-star game in the intrductions, something's wrong.

Iguana775
03-20-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
When the manager of the home field gets boo-ed as the 3b coach at the all-star game in the intrductions, something's wrong.

I dont know. maybe they saw something on the score bored or something. :)

RedPinStripes
03-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
I dont know. maybe they saw something on the score bored or something. :)

I was always a firm beliver that they won in 2000 in spite on Manuel . Man he came up with some creative lineups and moves for no reason. Someone could be 3 for 3 and he'd find a reasonm to take him out in late innings.

hellenicsoxfan
03-20-2004, 02:20 AM
Thank God we won't ever again have to listen to Manuel in June and July, when his team is floundering, saying, "Well, um, the season, um, is still young. We still, er, have, um, a chance. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz." It remains to be seen how good of a manager Ozzie will be, but one thing for sure is that we will not have to put up with that passive garbage this year. If this team flounders, Ozzie will start kicking some behinds and keep kicking until he gets the response he is looking for.

pudge
03-20-2004, 03:02 AM
Just to clarify, I can remember Hawk being really ticked with Manuel in many instances... I think it reached a boiling point when Manuel refused to pitch around Rafael Palmeiro two days in a row during that costly sweep in Texas toward the end of last season. I remember Hawk saying in a disgusted tone, "What's it going to take?"

crector
03-20-2004, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Ken
Is it just me?
It seems as though the same people who defended the work(?)of Jerry Manuel for the past TOO MANY years, are now telling us that he really couldn't effectively manage this team.

Example - Hawk can't say enough about the new enthusiam that he sees in this team.

Example - Players talk about actually being challenged to perform.

Example - Kenny Williams comments about big change in attitude throughout the organization.

Where were these people for the past several years? All they did was defend Manuel and keep saying the problem was not the manager.

They should have dumped Manuel long ago. Last year at the All-Star Break when we had new hope. But, everyone in the organization kept defending Good Old Jerry, while the season "slepted" away!

Thank God for Ozzie. But as a Sox fan, I still have feel like we wasted way too many seasons under a worthless manager!

The new Sox ad says it all -
"Introducing Your Chicago White Sox...What's Changed? Everything!"...
For years, we kept hearing that the manager was not the problem. Now it seems like the Sox organization is admitting that the manager was the problem all along! He can change everything!


What you're talking about is the ongoing scapegoating of JM by the Sox organization. This included Harrelson's preposterous claim at Soxfest that the reason why Harris couldn't hit last year was that JM forced him to bunt. Well, Harris still bunts and still can't hit either.

gosox41
03-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by crector
What you're talking about is the ongoing scapegoating of JM by the Sox organization. This included Harrelson's preposterous claim at Soxfest that the reason why Harris couldn't hit last year was that JM forced him to bunt. Well, Harris still bunts and still can't hit either.

I'm sick of the scapegoating of JM. I mean if he was as bad as they currently say he was (which we all know he was) then why didn't KW or JR fire him come midseason and just make Nossek or someone an interim manager?

Whata joke this organization is. When JM was here last year, the organization loved him. Now that he is g one the truth comes out from them. It's a real shame they couldn't admit this earlier so maybe we could have won the AL Central in 2003 wiht someone who cared about winning.

Bob

TornLabrum
03-20-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'm sick of the scapegoating of JM. I mean if he was as bad as they currently say he was (which we all know he was) then why didn't KW or JR fire him come midseason and just make Nossek or someone an interim manager?

:reinsy

"Torn Labrum has answered that question numerous times. Do you really think I was going to pay two managers for two years? Come on now! You know me better than that, don't you?"

:KW

"It's hard to spend a dollar on two managers when all you have is fifty cents."

:reinsy

"Do you really think Ozzie would have worked for 50 cents?"

:jerry

"Well, you hired me when I told you that I loved the game so much I'd work for nothing."

:reinsy

"I wonder if I could convince someone to pay me to manage..."

:gallas

"Now there's a great idea for a promotion!"

Realist
03-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Ken
Is it just me?
It seems as though the same people who defended the work(?)of Jerry Manuel for the past TOO MANY years, are now telling us that he really couldn't effectively manage this team.

Example - Hawk can't say enough about the new enthusiam that he sees in this team.

Example - Players talk about actually being challenged to perform.

Example - Kenny Williams comments about big change in attitude throughout the organization.

Where were these people for the past several years? All they did was defend Manuel and keep saying the problem was not the manager.

They should have dumped Manuel long ago. Last year at the All-Star Break when we had new hope. But, everyone in the organization kept defending Good Old Jerry, while the season "slepted" away!

Thank God for Ozzie. But as a Sox fan, I still have feel like we wasted way too many seasons under a worthless manager!

The new Sox ad says it all -
"Introducing Your Chicago White Sox...What's Changed? Everything!"...
For years, we kept hearing that the manager was not the problem. Now it seems like the Sox organization is admitting that the manager was the problem all along! He can change everything!

It's about time you stopped lurking, Mr. Williams. Ya feel all better now? :D:

SSN721
03-20-2004, 09:45 AM
I still truly believe that KW wanted to get rid of Manuel for a long. I think he just said what he had to say in public to tow the company line. And I don't really have a problem with it, most people that are employed will do little stuff like that to keep their jobs. He cant really be outspoken against the organization and expect to keep his job. As for Hawk I heard lots of time where he would be upset about the way the team was managed last year. But neither could truly express how they felt because they cant show dissension in the ranks. Its not a great situation but to expect them to do anything more then make backhanded or subtle comment about their displeasure with Manuel is asking a lot more then most people would do in their situation. At least most people that want to keep their jobs.

oldcomiskey
03-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
I dont know. maybe they saw something on the score bored or something. :)

PHEWW!!! bad pun city

oldcomiskey
03-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'm sick of the scapegoating of JM. I mean if he was as bad as they currently say he was (which we all know he was) then why didn't KW or JR fire him come midseason and just make Nossek or someone an interim manager?

Whata joke this organization is. When JM was here last year, the organization loved him. Now that he is g one the truth comes out from them. It's a real shame they couldn't admit this earlier so maybe we could have won the AL Central in 2003 wiht someone who cared about winning.

Bob

Ill tell you why---good case in point-----they wanted to give him one more chance so there would be no excuses---

the one that cinched it for me is when he pitched Loaiza with a bad cold and pushed Garland back another day--John hadnt pitched in a week---and when he went with Cotts in NY instead of Buhrle

Dan H
03-20-2004, 10:31 AM
I am with Bob on this one. We fans who called for Manuel's head last year were lambasted. We were told how cruel we were being to Manuel, and how we used him as a scapegoat for the team's problems. Now all of sudden we were right?

The September series in Minnesota was a true fiasco. Manuel can't be totally blamed for the Sox not winning the Central, but he sure did his part. Also, this does not take into account the under-achieving years of 2001 and 2002.

As far as a turnaround in attitude, wasn't it just a week ago that Guillen was upset about a dead dugout? If there has been a change of attitude, let's see how it is in September. Until then I am plenty skeptical.

CubKilla
03-20-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
I'm sick of the scapegoating of JM. I mean if he was as bad as they currently say he was (which we all know he was) then why didn't KW or JR fire him come midseason and just make Nossek or someone an interim manager?

$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $