PDA

View Full Version : How about Jeff Torborg?

chisoxt
03-19-2004, 04:52 PM
..to replace Joe Nossek? Just asking.

A. Cavatica
03-19-2004, 05:30 PM
How about Torborg to replace Guillen?

RedPinStripes
03-19-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm willing to bet Jeff's name comes up and Ozzie tries to get him.

Palehose13
03-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
I can see that happening.

CubKilla
03-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

:reinsy

"What'll you think I'll say when Jeff asks for manager-type dollars? MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

MRKARNO
03-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Expect to see Harold Baines sitting next to Ozzie in the dugout.

DrCrawdad
03-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

UGH! I will not be surprised if that happens. I will not be happy if that happens.

Nossek was the guy that I thought Ozzie would need. I sure as hades hope they choose someone with a great baseball mind to replace Nossek.

RedPinStripes
03-20-2004, 12:22 AM

Very possible.....What the hell does Harold do anyway? He's with the team but i never heard his title. Is he "just there?"

hellenicsoxfan
03-20-2004, 01:07 AM

Exactly what the Sox don't need - a rookie manager with a rookie bench coach.
Ozzie and Torborg seem to have a mutual admiration thing going, so having Torborg as the bench coach seems to make sense. I remember 1990, the last year in Old Comiskey, when no one expected the Sox to do anything and they ended up winning something like 94 games and nearly winning the division. Torborg had that team ready to play every game. Just wonder if there is bad blood between Torborg and Reinsdorf.
By the way, the conspiracy buff in me makes me think that there is something more to this than health. Maybe Ozzie and Nossek did not see eye to eye. The truth is out there. We shall see.

DrCrawdad
03-20-2004, 05:54 AM
That means Harold Baines might be the leading candidate to replace Nossek. Williams said the new bench coach would come from within the organization and a decision could be made today. Minor-league infield instructor Nick Leyva is another possible candidate. - Sun-Times

A new bench coach could be named as early as today, and Harold Baines is expected to get the nod. Guillen gets to pick the new hire and he is close with Baines, a former teammate and one of the most prolific hitters in Sox history. - Daily Herald

MRKARNO
03-20-2004, 10:15 PM

I must be like Nostradamus or something. :)

Brian26
03-20-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
How about Torborg to replace Guillen?

I loved this. :D:

hftrex
03-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Nope.

It isn't Reinsdorf's nature to pick folks that he's fired previously because then he'd have to admit that he had made an error in firing them in the first place.

soxtalker
03-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by hftrex
Nope.

It isn't Reinsdorf's nature to pick folks that he's fired previously because then he'd have to admit that he had made an error in firing them in the first place.

Maybe, though he's come close to rehiring LaRussa at times. And he even has stated that it was a mistake to fire him.

I don't know what his relationship with Torborg is like, but I'd be that this was just as much a question of (a) a good relationship with Baines and (b) Baines was already on the payroll.

Having said that, I wish that it had been Torborg.