PDA

View Full Version : Sent down today

kittle42
03-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Chicago White Sox: Optioned pitchers Felix Diaz and Jon Rauch to Charlotte of the Internationa League (AAA); assigned pitchers Vic Darensbourg and Jose Santiago to minor league camp; announced the resignation of bench coach Joe Nossek.

Guess the Jon Rauch Era continues to be put on hold.

jeremyb1
03-19-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Chicago White Sox: Optioned pitchers Felix Diaz and Jon Rauch to Charlotte of the Internationa League (AAA); assigned pitchers Vic Darensbourg and Jose Santiago to minor league camp; announced the resignation of bench coach Joe Nossek.

Guess the Jon Rauch Era continues to be put on hold.

We seem to be making a lot of moves early on. It doesn't seem like Rauch and Diaz were given all that much of a shot. Wright and Grilli are older and at least in Wright's case more experienced so they're getting the benefit of the doubt.

sas1974
03-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
We seem to be making a lot of moves early on. It doesn't seem like Rauch and Diaz were given all that much of a shot. Wright and Grilli are older and at least in Wright's case more experienced so they're getting the benefit of the doubt.

I still would have liked to see them give Rauch a few more innings before they made this decision to let him and Grilli battle a little more for that bullpen spot.

duke of dorwood
03-19-2004, 02:52 PM
I am not happy about Rauch being demoted already.

lowesox
03-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I am not happy about Rauch being demoted already.

Neither am I. Even if they have no intention of him making the team, he could still use the experience. Not to mention, I like the idea of him giving the other guys a push. This was a bad move.

jeremyb1
03-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I still would have liked to see them give Rauch a few more innings before they made this decision to let him and Grilli battle a little more for that bullpen spot.

Well the Sun Times said today that Grilli and Wright are all but assured spots so I guess Rauch isn't getting that much of a chance to compete with Grilli.

sas1974
03-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Well the Sun Times said today that Grilli and Wright are all but assured spots so I guess Rauch isn't getting that much of a chance to compete with Grilli.

This goes back to that common theme of assuring people jobs that they haven't earned yet. It's getting old.

I would agree that Wright and Grilli have pitched well, but so has Rauch. Why not let them go at it a little longer?

Huisj
03-19-2004, 03:03 PM
someone high up in this organization hates jon rauch. how else could he be denied a chance time after time after time?

BeerHandle
03-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Wright should be our 4th starter and Schoenweis should be our 5th.

sas1974
03-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
someone high up in this organization hates jon rauch. how else could he be denied a chance time after time after time?

If that is truly the case and K-Dub is taking some alleged remarks that personally, then he needs to step down because MLB GM is not a job for someone w/ thin skin.

BeerHandle
03-19-2004, 03:10 PM
If that is truly the case and K-Dub is taking some alleged remarks that personally, then he needs to step down because MLB GM is not a job for someone w/ thin skin.

Ever since his injury after the Olympics he has not pitched the same. My guess is the Sox will give him one more year and if he doesn't respond then they will move him.

Don't forget that he is a different pitcher then Randy Johnson. Everyone always thinks he is a power pitcher because of his height.

rmusacch
03-19-2004, 03:15 PM

Grilli was guaranteed a bullpen spot as they probably did not want to have to offer him back to Florida.

Mickster
03-19-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Huisj

Who could that someone be?

:KW

"Who you lookin' at?"

sas1974
03-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Grilli was guaranteed a bullpen spot as they probably did not want to have to offer him back to Florida.

That's right. I forgot about that Rule 5 caveat. Maybe they can disguise Shingo and send him to Florida.

sas1974
03-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Ever since his injury after the Olympics he has not pitched the same. My guess is the Sox will give him one more year and if he doesn't respond then they will move him.

Don't forget that he is a different pitcher then Randy Johnson. Everyone always thinks he is a power pitcher because of his height.

I know he's not a power pitcher, but it didn't seem he was that far behind Grilli this spring. It also seems like his control was there - 0 walks to Grilli's 7.

fsphog
03-19-2004, 05:36 PM
well heres the skinny - according to major league baseball rules, if a 40 man player is hurt while in big league camp in the last 15 days of camp and put on the DL, he goes on the big league DL and the team has to pay them a big league salary. Rauch has been pitching since the middle of last year with a torn labrum and a partial thickness (because the sox wanted him too) tear in his rotator cuff in the front of his shoulder. he was sent down supposedly because he wasnt lighting up the radar guns a he left a few of his breaking pitches up in the zone, in the 10 innings he pitched, and also for a lack of experience (how are you supposed to get experience if no one gives you a shot, and Grilli has one day more time than Rauch). however, combined with his health, and that there are 16-17 days left in camp, the sox decided to send him down primarily on financial issues alone (they dont want to pay him, and they dont want to pay to send Grilli back). kind of bs if you ask me.

pudge
03-19-2004, 07:32 PM
I don't see what the big deal is... he wasn't exactly tearing it up, and they don't want to lose Grilli, so it makes sense. Hey, if Rauch had earned a spot on the club, he wouldn't be sent down. And he might get his chance during the season.

gogosoxgogo
03-19-2004, 07:35 PM
The worst news here is that Joe Nossek resigned! Who's going to steal opposing team's signs now!?

Rex Hudler
03-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Sending down Rauch for financial reasons was a smart move actually. That is assuming the injury issues you mention are true.

Rauch can still pitch in MLB ST games with the Sox and will still get the MLB per diem on those days. But why have a guy in camp that you aren't planning on keeping when the season opens, if there is indeed risk of injury? Especially, when you can still give him opportunities without him being "assigned" to big league camp. Guys play up with the big club in ST all the time. Look at Ryan Sweeney.

I question the injury angle, however, if only because the Sox would want to shut him down, not keep him pitching if it were something serious. If it a small injury that he will have to pitch through or shut himself down to have surgery again, then he has a choice.

It seems more obvious to me that Rauch wasn't going to start the season in Chicago. If potential injuries were a concern, then why keep a guy around and be forced to pay him money you wouldn't have if he were healthy.

fsphog
03-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by pudge
I don't see what the big deal is... he wasn't exactly tearing it up, and they don't want to lose Grilli, so it makes sense.

hmmmmmm, and Wright and Grilli were tearing it up huh?? i guess schoeneweis is too then, as is Buehrle and Loaiza. no one has had a knockout spring, but i have to think that Rauch was holding his own - not walking anyone and having two extremely good outings and having one where he struggles a hair has to mean something - but its obvious that the Sox arent going to give his legit shot, therefore he would be great trade bait.

Lip Man 1
03-19-2004, 08:15 PM
There is a story on the 'official' Sox web site about it where Williams says Rauch is going to Charlotte to get regular work and to stretch out (pitching wise) so that if something happens to the vaunted back end of our rotation, he'll be available.

If Rauch is the best we can expect in case something happens to Schowenweis and or Wright, the Sox are in serious trouble.

Lip

CWSGuy406
03-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Pathetic. That's a load of crap that Diaz or Rauch were given a spot. They gave the fourth and fifth spots to Shoenweis and Wright respectively. Wright has earned his spot; OK. But Shoenweis has been one of the worst pitchers on our staff so far, and they're talking about moving him up to the #3 spot? I understand wanting to have a few lefties on the staff, but if you can't get out righties it's pointless.

RichFitztightly
03-19-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by fsphog
hmmmmmm, and Wright and Grilli were tearing it up huh?? i guess schoeneweis is too then, as is Buehrle and Loaiza. no one has had a knockout spring, but i have to think that Rauch was holding his own - not walking anyone and having two extremely good outings and having one where he struggles a hair has to mean something - but its obvious that the Sox arent going to give his legit shot, therefore he would be great trade bait.

Nobody said Wright and Grilli were tearing it up. Pudge just said Rauch didn't over whelmingly win a job. Therefore, a decision had to be made about three comparable players. Financially it makes sense. I for one haven't really been a huge Rauch fan so I'm not disappointed.

On a side note, I gotta imagine another serious injury for Rauch would be a huge setback and could concievably end his career. He'd almost have to pitch through it, especially with the patience the Sox are showing him.

MRKARNO
03-19-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by CWSGuy406
Pathetic. That's a load of crap that Diaz or Rauch were given a spot. They gave the fourth and fifth spots to Shoenweis and Wright respectively. Wright has earned his spot; OK. But Shoenweis has been one of the worst pitchers on our staff so far, and they're talking about moving him up to the #3 spot? I understand wanting to have a few lefties on the staff, but if you can't get out righties it's pointless.

I think after the ST games the talk about Schoenweis being the third starter has quieted. He'll be the fourth, but the question is whether or not they replace him. He wont drop to 5th just because of the way the rotation is set up, but that doesnt mean he is the 4th best starter.