PDA

View Full Version : Joe Nossek Stepping Down?

Mickster
03-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Just heard on ESPN AM 1000 update that Nossek stepping down as Sox bench coach...

What's that about? :?:

sas1974
03-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Just heard on ESPN AM 1000 update that Nossek stepping down as Sox bench coach...

What's that about? :?:

If that's true, that's NOT good. He was one of the biggest reasons that I wasn't as concerned about Ozzie's lack of managerial experience.

RedPinStripes
03-19-2004, 12:43 PM
He probably cant put up with Ozzie yapping all the time. Or Ozzie dont listen to him.

Palehose13
03-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
If that's true, that's NOT good. He was one of the biggest reasons that I wasn't as concerned about Ozzie's lack of managerial experience.
BINGO! Same here.

lowesox
03-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Any chance he and Ozzie weren't seeing eye to eye?

Railsplitter
03-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Let's wait until we know the details before saying anything.

jabrch
03-19-2004, 01:25 PM
This doesn't bother me at all. Nossek didn't have a positive influence on JM - why should Ozzie be any different. Now Ozzie can go out (with KW) and get a guy that he wants on his bench who is one of his guys.

This doesn't bother me at all. Nossek never did anything that led me to believe he should be here.

Herbal
03-19-2004, 01:26 PM
In another post, someone said they heard it was due to non-life threatening illnesses like arthritis.

soxfan26
03-19-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
This doesn't bother me at all. Nossek didn't have a positive influence on JM - why should Ozzie be any different. Now Ozzie can go out (with KW) and get a guy that he wants on his bench who is one of his guys.

This doesn't bother me at all. Nossek never did anything that led me to believe he should be here.

Excellent point. I wish Joe continued health and many long years of life, but I don't feel he will be missed around the cell.

ShoelessFred
03-19-2004, 01:36 PM
i say get jeff torborg

Realist
03-19-2004, 01:40 PM
This is not good. :(: If it's true, I'm going to have to go and revise my season predictions.

Tekijawa
03-19-2004, 01:45 PM
From Whitesox.com

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_press_release.jsp?ymd=20040319&content_id=662869&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp

Medford Bobby
03-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Did not see Bill Melton on the Pre show on Fox...maybe Melton would be a good bench coach?? He has seen this team for years now...nice link to the early 70's Sox...best choice would be Carlton Fisk...but I can not see him sitting on the bench for 162 games and not be at home having a bee :gulp: r..........

Tekijawa
03-19-2004, 01:51 PM
STEVE STONE< STEVE STONE< STEVE STONE...

I'd take Fisk too!

mdep524
03-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Ed Farmer just said he "wouldn't be surprised" if Harold Baines gets the job. It's sad and worrying to see Nossek leave, but it would be cool to get Harold in there on a full time basis.

poorme
03-19-2004, 01:56 PM
This is no biggie. Really.

Frater Perdurabo
03-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
i say get jeff torborg

Not a bad idea.

jabrch
03-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
Did not see Bill Melton on the Pre show on Fox...maybe Melton would be a good bench coach?? He has seen this team for years now...nice link to the early 70's Sox...best choice would be Carlton Fisk...but I can not see him sitting on the bench for 162 games and not be at home having a bee :gulp: r..........

I thought people wanted a bench coach to help Ozzie due to his lack of managerial experience? Fisk/Stone have never sat on a bench before either. Can you imagine Fisk sitting next to Ozzie yapping for 162 games? Or can you imagine poor Steve Stone - after being stuck with Chip, Post-strokeHarry and DrunkHarry to have to sit next to YappieOzzie? Maybe his wife will come home with a Chihuahua - how much more yappie does it get?

Seriously - I'd love either Fisk or Stone. They'd be nice calming influences on Ozzie and Joey-NoBrains. Sucks to have to replace a coach two weeks before opening day - but...

And good health to Nossek - of course I have nothing against him.

Tekijawa
03-19-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by mdep524
It's sad and worrying to see Nossek leave, but it would be cool to get Harold in there on a full time basis.

As much as I would like to see Harold get the Job my fear would be that you have three people in pretty important positions that have no experience Cora at Third, Ozzie at the Helm and Harold as Bench Coach... WE NEED SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE!

rmusacch
03-19-2004, 02:06 PM

He has stolen hundreds of signs over the years. You don't think that comes in handy when we know what a team is going to do before they do it?

jabrch
03-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
He has stolen hundreds of signs over the years. You don't think that comes in handy when we know what a team is going to do before they do it?

Not having ever sat on the bench, all I can say is that it never made enough of a difference for us to win a playoff series in my lifetime. Sure - that's nice. But is this a skill that only Nossek has? Has Nossek made any of our managers any better? (I know that's hard when you talk about JM and TB - but...)

Nothing against Nossek, but I just don't see him as an irreplaceable piece of the puzzle, or as someone who was so valuable to our past managers that we should miss him.

Tekijawa
03-19-2004, 02:16 PM
Nothing against Nossek, but I just don't see him as an irreplaceable piece of the puzzle, or as someone who was so valuable to our past managers that we should miss him.

He knew what he was doing and even KW said when we hired Ozzie that Nossek would be very valuable to the inexperienced manager... I think this would be a non-event with Ozzie if it was his 2nd year, we just need that "teacher" in the dugout.... Waiving people around third base is a whole lot different than knowing when to take someone out, when to lay the bunt down, when to get on a player, and when to hold back... this could get interesting!?!?!?

KingXerxes
03-19-2004, 02:19 PM
If Nossek is truly stepping down due to ill health and such, then I don't take this as too big of a deal - and wish him well on the health front.

If Nossek is stepping down due to some sort of impasse with Guillen - then it's a bad sign to be sure. Opening day is only two weeks away.

Tekijawa
03-19-2004, 02:25 PM
Do you play yahoo fantasy baseball? and if so are you in league 152782?

hftrex
03-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
He probably cant put up with Ozzie yapping all the time. Or Ozzie dont listen to him.

That's almost certainly the reason. Once again, the Sox pay the price for hiring that buffoon as manager.................

sas1974
03-19-2004, 02:33 PM

I think that's just the point. I think he probably did a lot things behind the scenes that no one really talks about. You can't discount the value of having someone that has been around the game as long as he has been and has seen the things that he has seen.

Dadawg_77
03-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Not a bad idea.

It is if you want a healthy pitching staff.

KingXerxes
03-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
Do you play yahoo fantasy baseball? and if so are you in league 152782?

Nope - must be a different KingXerxes.

duke of dorwood
03-19-2004, 02:57 PM
At this stage of camp, this is another negative added to the list of uncertaincies that will "extend" spring training. Havent we had enuf uncertainty the past few years?

KingXerxes
03-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
At this stage of camp, this is another negative added to the list of uncertaincies that will "extend" spring training. Havent we had enuf uncertainty the past few years?

I agree. The timing of this is strange.

MarkPloch
03-19-2004, 04:16 PM
Why does every mo ve have to be a soap opera with sox fans.
Can't a guy just step down without the whole season being forfitted?

Relax all.