PDA

View Full Version : Shinjo Takatsu! -65 years old!

Soxfan7070
03-19-2004, 02:33 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.asp?sport=MLB&id=7255

I don't know if anyone posted this yet. Maybe he's from the future? :)

jabrch
03-19-2004, 03:17 AM
His fastball is so slow that if he throws it when he's 21, my great-great-great grandson will be there to celebrate his 21st, 22nd and 23rd birthdays on the same pitch. (and I'm only 31)

(A RP who throws 82mph and doesn't have a knuckler...***?)

Iguana775
03-19-2004, 08:36 AM
he is actually from the future. if you see, it says he was born in 2068. lol.

sas1974
03-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
His fastball is so slow that if he throws it when he's 21, my great-great-great grandson will be there to celebrate his 21st, 22nd and 23rd birthdays on the same pitch. (and I'm only 31)

That's what I have said several times in the past and then everyone starts up w/ "the velocity doesn't matter" crap. I have seen NOTHING in this guy to makes me think that he belongs in American MLB.

jabrch
03-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
That's what I have said several times in the past and then everyone starts up w/ "the velocity doesn't matter" crap. I have seen NOTHING in this guy to makes me think that he belongs in American MLB.

"the velocity doesn't matter" is true - in some cases.

i.e. Maddux can live at 85 cuz he locates, moves and changes speeds.

i.e. Wakefield's knuckler can live in the low 80s, or even lower because of the movement and how much it looks like his change also in the low 80s, but straighter and his "fastball" in the mid-80s.

However, all Takatsu has is that he comes sidearm and spots the ball well. Hitters will probably get right up in the front of the batters box on him and will just sit and wait. Sure their timing will be off a little bit, but these are major league hitters, they will quickly (after seeing him once or twice on tape) adjust.

I think Shingo will be a nightmare. With all the talented baseball players from Japan and the rest of Asia, why this one?

:reinsy
"Do you have to ask?"

:KW
"I was told get a pitcher for under $1mm - my choices were Shingo or... :jaime "

sas1974
03-19-2004, 09:32 AM
"the velocity doesn't matter" is true - in some cases.

i.e. Maddux can live at 85 cuz he locates, moves and changes speeds.

i.e. Wakefield's knuckler can live in the low 80s, or even lower because of the movement and how much it looks like his change also in the low 80s, but straighter and his "fastball" in the mid-80s.

I know it's true in some cases. Jamie Moyer probably falls into that category too. But it's the exception, not the rule. I don't think ANYONE is going to confuse Greg Maddux with Shingo.

batmanZoSo
03-19-2004, 10:14 AM

Wow, that's really slow.

lol

batmanZoSo
03-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Iguana775
he is actually from the future. if you see, it says he was born in 2068. lol.

If that's really true we should tell him to search the library for any evidence of a White Sox World Series so we know whether to stick around :)

KingXerxes
03-19-2004, 10:54 AM
Does anybody remember Ernesto Escarrega? He too threw a fastball that floated so slowly from the mound that you could almost read the label on it.

Lip Man 1
03-19-2004, 11:11 AM
I remember Esscarega. And it was no coincidence he was only with the Sox in 82.

Well Takatsu certainly pitches like he's 65 years old!

Lip

StockdaleForVeep
03-19-2004, 06:13 PM
To quote a bad movie "major league:Back to the minors"

"why dont he throw me his fast ball"
"...that was his fastball"