PDA

View Full Version : BP pokes fun at Ozzie

jeremyb1
03-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Now take a spring training game. Couple thousand people there who enjoy the game but know it's of no consequence. The win or loss doesn't matter. Would anyone blame a manager for making sure his closer, or his closer candidates, get their work in early?

Ozzie Guillen would. He's refused to bring Billy Koch into a non-save situation, for instance, even though Koch was up and throwing already.

http://premium.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=2681

soxfan26
03-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Overall I think that article sucks. I've never been a fan of BP and articles like this is why.

One fact that he is completely ignoring is that Koch had to win the closers job this spring. Theres no better way to find out if Koch can handle the save situation then to put him in it.

He's also ignoring the fact that Ozzie is inhereting a team that has been routinely criticized for lacking fire. My guess is that Ozzie is setting the tone for the season, just like he said he would.

jeremyb1
03-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
Overall I think that article sucks. I've never been a fan of BP and articles like this is why.

One fact that he is completely ignoring is that Koch had to win the closers job this spring. Theres no better way to find out if Koch can handle the save situation then to put him in it.

He's also ignoring the fact that Ozzie is inhereting a team that has been routinely criticized for lacking fire. My guess is that Ozzie is setting the tone for the season, just like he said he would.

I agreed with parts and disagreed with others. First of all, insisting on putting Koch in only in save situation in the spring is ridiculous. The notion that pitching the ninth inning as opposed to the seventh or eigth inning in a close game requires a certain skill is absurd. Potentially screwing up Koch's stamina or even risking injury by warming him up and then not putting him into the game in the spring is reckless.

That said, I thought the article took a lot of liberties interpreting Ozzie's comments. Some of his remarks about wanting players such as Loaiza to perform better early in the spring are premature and display a lack of priorities in my opinion but his outlash was mostly related to enthusiasm in the dugout in my opinion which is completely different than winning. I agree with you that on a team known for a lack of passion and attitude problems stressing the importance of bringing energy to the park is a good idea.

Man Soo Lee
03-19-2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
First of all, insisting on putting Koch in only in save situation in the spring is ridiculous. The notion that pitching the ninth inning as opposed to the seventh or eigth inning in a close game requires a certain skill is absurd.

Then you might be happy to find out that Koch hasn't pitched the ninth inning once this spring. In four appearances, he's pitched the 7th, the 4th, the 5th, and the 6th and 7th.

Originally posted by jeremyb1
That said, I thought the article took a lot of liberties interpreting Ozzie's comments. Some of his remarks about wanting players such as Loaiza to perform better early in the spring are premature and display a lack of priorities in my opinion

It seems like Ozzie has been trying to light a fire under Loaiza. This Daily Southtown (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x07-ard1.htm) column suggests effort is a concern with him:

Esteban Loaiza's challenge will be working as hard as he did last year.

"I told him he made it to the outskirts of the elite in one year," Cooper said. "He stays focused another year, he'll be in the elite, making $10 million."

I remember Cooper making similar comments in a radio interview this spring. Didn't Loaiza have a reputation for being lazy and unprepared before last year?

jackbrohamer
03-19-2004, 12:17 PM
I don't even read Baseball Prospectus anymore. Their writers are kind of funny but their predictions every year suck.

daveeym
03-19-2004, 02:15 PM
This is spring training, I'm sure guys are throwing in the pen at all moments getting work in without being brought into the game. The guys a moron.