PDA

View Full Version : It's time we bring in a 2b

lowesox
03-18-2004, 05:27 PM
This Willie Harris charade is becoming a really bad joke. He hasn't hit this spring. He didn't hit last year. He's never hit when he's been given an opportunity. Why would anybody believe he's just going to start hitting all of a sudden at the beginning of the regular season? Uribe looks good, but this team actually looking very solid this spring - with the exception of Takatsu, Shoenweiss and Harris - everybody else is holding their own. I think having a good 2b/leadoff guy could put us over the top.

KW should find a trade to bring us a No. 4 SP and 2B and pull the trigger. Use Harris and Borchard and whoever else as bait. Otherwise, this team could go to waste.

SoxBoy14
03-18-2004, 05:31 PM
I think the starting job should go to Uribe. Either trade Harris or keep as a pinch-runner. If Uribe has a horrible start in the regular season then is the time to say screw it and trade somebody for a second baseman.

jabrch
03-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Use Harris and Borchard and whoever else as bait. Otherwise, this team could go to waste.

You know what kind of pitcher you can get for Harris and Borchard right now?

:jaime
"Who - Me?"

MRKARNO
03-18-2004, 06:45 PM
I think we could get someone decent for Borchard, especially if he's healthy.

TheRockinMT
03-18-2004, 06:58 PM
Where is Aarom Miles when we need him?

Foulke You
03-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Let's see what Harris or Uribe can do in April before we push the panic button, ok? Spring Training don't mean squat. I'm not saying either are going to be stars but to judge their overall talent based on two weeks of Cactus League ball is ridiculous. Neither has really been given an extended period of time in the majors to shine. Let's see how they do when given that before passing judgement.

Hangar18
03-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Let's see what Harris or Uribe can do in April before we push the panic button, ok? Spring Training don't mean squat. I'm not saying either are going to be stars but to judge their overall talent based on two weeks of Cactus League ball is ridiculous. Neither has really been given an extended period of time in the majors to shine. Let's see how they do when given that before passing judgement.

WE had a Chance for Kaz Matsui. We couldve had Todd Walker.
Instead, we stayed cheap .............

Malgar 12
03-18-2004, 07:52 PM
Willie Harris is a guaranteed out, I saw enough of him last year to know that. You're right that spring training doesn't mean anything, but we're usually saying that about some journyman who hits .400 for the spring not the other way around. Harris is seeing easier pitching now than he will once the season starts, there is no way he'll break camp as our starting 2B and lead-off man. Even the Sox aren't that inept.

lowesox
03-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

I'm not big on going into the season fully aware that you have holes, hoping that something surprising will happen. And moreover, as a fan, I like players with fire - players who rise to the occassion. I think Willie Harris has shown us that he will never be that kind of player.

Daver
03-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Malgar 12
Willie Harris is a guaranteed out, I saw enough of him last year to know that. You're right that spring training doesn't mean anything, but we're usually saying that about some journyman who hits .400 for the spring not the other way around. Harris is seeing easier pitching now than he will once the season starts, there is no way he'll break camp as our starting 2B and lead-off man. Even the Sox aren't that inept.

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

DrCrawdad
03-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Wee Willie came from the Orioles, time to trade for another Orioles 2nd baseman - Jerry Hairston Jr. The Orioles could be looking to trade Hairston since they have switch hitting Brian Roberts, who took over last year when Hairston was injured. Now Hairston is hurt again, but IIRC he's suppose to return in a couple weeks.

TaylorStSox
03-18-2004, 08:33 PM
We never had a real chance at Matsui. Also, call me crazy, but I'd rather have Harris than Walker. I'm so tired of poor fielding. Walker is an absolute butcher at 2B.

duke of dorwood
03-18-2004, 08:36 PM
There's got to be another way to have some speed without an automatic out in the line up. This is NO surprise to me, another gamble that went to pot.

TaylorStSox
03-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Come on. It hasn't gone to pot yet. The season hasn't even started. It doesn't look good though. Relax. maybe Olivo will pick him up.

Lip Man 1
03-19-2004, 11:24 AM
It's also time to bring in two quality starting pitchers, sign Urbina to help the bullpen and get a center fielder.....

But it's not going to happen...

Lip

hftrex
03-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Why get a new CF when we already have ARow?

StockdaleForVeep
03-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
You know what kind of pitcher you can get for Harris and Borchard right now?

:jaime
"Who - Me?"

I think we could get jaime for free, they'd give him away, well i change that, they could get maybe a dozen balls or some grass seeds for him

Frater Perdurabo
03-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
WE had a Chance for Kaz Matsui. We couldve had Todd Walker.
Instead, we stayed cheap .............

The Sox HAD Ray Durham at 2B, and Kenny Boy traded him for Jon Adkins. Methinks the Sox would be strong favorites to win the division if they still had Durham leading off and playing 2B.